Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭chips365

Jammyc wrote: »
    There are no past papers available, only sample papers/questions that can be bought from Acer. With regard to a science syllabus follow this and you wont go far wrong.

Appreciate the reply! Safe to say that i havent covered most of the stuff yet! Should have really listened during the science lectures.. could have saved myself a lot of time going back over the "basics".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

chips365 wrote: »
    Appreciate the reply! Safe to say that i havent covered most of the stuff yet! Should have really listened during the science lectures.. could have saved myself a lot of time going back over the "basics".

Not to worry. I'm heading into my final year of a science degree now and some of the stuff was totally alien to me!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 i have to return some video tapes

Hi,
    I'm planing on sitting the exam in 2013. I have a degree in biological and bio medical science. I've done one year of physics and two years of chemistry. I'm also working full time , I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on studying for it and working at the same time. Will six months be enough time to prepare ???

its all a bit overwhelming tying to figure out where to even start and what notes to get , where to get them and how much they cost .

• Registered Users Posts: 15 agraphia

Hello everyone,
    In accordance with the great resource that is boards.ie (see previous experiences of CiMaster here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79156947&postcount=14
    and others:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055681118)

I would like to give a brief synopsis of how I have come to an offer and acceptance of a place on UCC GEM, with a score of 59 on the GAMSAT (62/82/47).
    As you may guess from my section three score, I am not very well trained in science. I actually have a science degree (Psychology through science including two years of chemistry, three of biology) but I was not exactly the most keen student in those days, focusing mainly on other endeavours. I seriously did not remember anything. Likewise you will see that it is the essays that raised my score enough to get me in, as I would probably not have received an offer if my essays had been around the 50s.
    I do have certain advice to give to people, but it is probably only relevant to particular types of people. In any case, perhaps if you are reading through various peoples' opinions throughout these threads, there may be a slight snippet here which will be of benefit.

Firstly, I credit myself at having a reasonable grasp at the english language. While the GAMSAT claims to be as accessible to people for whom english is not their primary language, I believe through my experience that it is the english speakers who are wholly with the advantage. Articulation makes for readability, and when people are correcting hundreds of essays, hurriedly scribbled by stressed and exhausted exam-goers, a bit of freshness, originality, or bite makes all the difference. Perhaps you are someone for whom this comes naturally, in which case I would say DISCARD the formulae of essay writing (argument/counter-argument etc) and focus on calmness and time-effectiveness. My approach was one of complete honesty, with a touch of my psychological background (I bet they like when people reference writers or researchers a bit).

So with the essays being so uncertain, with little study possible (and I did buy fancypants academic magazines before the exam, which is a technique some people recommend - I did not read them) one might consider Section I. Again, it is without any doubt that english speakers will score better here - the annoying nuances of language when assessing poetry are TINY. But again, I did not do much study here. One technique I did pick up from Exam Krackers was to pause for about 5 seconds in between each part of section 1. This lets your mind breathe and prevents (to some degree), the brain-freeze while you're answering questions, or those moments when you catch yourself going to sleep with your eyes open, re-reading the same question for the 5th time. Otherwise, I really feel that Relaxation and Time are the key elements.

And thusly, the section that many of us dread, science. I'm not happy with my score here, but let me explain something for anyone who is freaking out about the quantity of information you are expected to revise.
    I started looking into studying medicine before Christmas 2011, and actually took steps to register in early january 2012. The exam was the 24th of March. I had been doing a very simple course of Anatomy & Physiology for my own training, so had been very lightly learning topics there, and I used a christmas present of an amazon gift cert to buy Organic Chemistry for Dummies, and its companion workbook. I downloaded the various torrents of Exam Krackers MCAT textbooks (not really recommended but better than nothing) and the Exam Krackers "Audio Osmosis" mp3s. I stressed about buying one of the Des O Neill or GAMSAT Guru packages, but I didn't buy anything apart from Organic Chem for Dummies and the ACER practice papers. In fact I watched one of the Gamsat Guru "free webinars" which was a pre-recorded useless video that continually insisted that you would NOT achieve your dream of being a doctor unless you paid this guy loads of money. It was negative and destructive and really turned me off it. I'm not saying the packages are bad, I would have considered Des O Neill or one of them if I'd had the resources, but something else happened.
    In late january my girlfriend of five years discovered she was pregnant and began what was a very challenging first trimester, where she couldn't keep anything down and got quite dehydrated, ending up in hospital for a few days. I spent the majority of the trimester cooking various foods that she might be able to stomach, and cooking again when she couldn't bare the smell of the first food. Taking care of her, and dealing with my own shock of the pregnancy (could i still possibly study med with a newborn?), caused me to admit defeat on the GAMSAT, but I said I'd sit it anyway as a practice run, and if it all worked out fine with work and money for baby's year 1, I'd sit it again next year.

So what I'm saying, to anyone who's really freaking out, is that it is possible to do the exam with absolute minimal study done. I tried re-learning leaving cert physics and organic chem and some of it started coming back to me, but all in all I got 2 weeks of study done I'd say. Maybe a little more considering the anatomy & phys, which was of a very basic level.

I believe that the GAMSAT is really an intelligence test in that you "should" be able to figure out the answers from the information given, if you can keep your cool and watch the time carefully. I caught myself in section 3 giving loads of time to this annoying question about ducks or something, and 20 minutes had gone by without my noticing that I could have given to some of the other "easier" chart-type questions. I completed about half of section 3, and the rest was filling in the dots in the last five minutes. Hence the low score.

On the day of the GAMSAT I sat behind a guy who smelled more than anyone I've ever smelled. If you are reading this, smelly gamsat guy, pm me and let me know what the story is. I think he was desperately sick, and had that BO that you get when you're super fevery and sweating and vomity and pooey but holy moley, this guy stank. I spent the whole 6 hours breathing through my mouth, which ended up giving me a sore throat and after the exam, I crashed out terribly sick too, but I don't think it was what he had, just general exhaustion leading to flu type thing.
    Nonetheless, I merely approached each question as calmly as I could. Calm and Time. Calm and Time. That's what I reckon.

Buying a package? Great, go for it, brilliant study and you'll have a headstart on Year 1 science. Can't afford it or don't like the feel of it? Feck it, there's plenty of free resources online if you look (I Loved the Yale Open University lectures for Organic Chem teaching the history of chemistry - completely useless for what's expected on the exam, but it really sparked an interest in chemistry. I still have no idea what Schroedinger's equation is about, but I enjoyed the history). I'm definitely going to struggle with the science in year one, but the universities are prepared for that and I've read that non-science students are catered for in the first semester (to some degree).

But please, don't panic. Don't feel you need to learn Organic, Inorganic, Phys and Biology all to university level, and above all DON'T TRUST THE PANIC. While there have been tremendously helpful posts up here on boards.ie, there is an ocean of worriers who may be looking for other worriers. Just know the structure of the exam, buy the acer papers and do them (package papers are different I think). And if you do terribly on the practice papers (as I did) then don't worry cause it's a whole different set of questions on the day.
    Of course the GAMSAT is a racket in that they dont give past papers, but all you need is...two. You can buy the ones they offer and download another set as torrents. Also with the Weighting of Section 3 being 20 inorganic 20% organic, 20% physics and 40% bio (or whatever they say)- I don't think thats true as we seemed very short on organic and very heavy on bio. In a way it doesn't matter, if you can familiarise yourself with terminology, then the "educated guess" approach is key. I'm a big believer in trusting your instinct in exams, whether its choosing C instead of B (even though they're identical) or writing about a really weird topic for the exam, trusting my intuition has always paid off (some may call it "blagging").

So I hope this helps someone somewhere down the line for the next GAMSATters.

One final note: I was refused the loans from both AIB and BOI. I'm in a tremendously lucky position right now, but if this had been last year I wouldn't have been able to accept my offer from any university. The instant loans that I had been relying on are not there anymore. I had very small and silly blips from about 4 years ago on my accounts, and maybe they would have given me a loan if they hadn't been there, but my feeling is that the banks are really tightening up. So ask your aunties and your parents and whoever for help if you should need, and have a backup plan, it would be a balls to get an offer and not get a loan if you were relying on it. Thank God I have support!
    :D

Hey folks,
    Just trying to get my head around section 2 of the exam. I know that it is 2 essays with about 5 quotes in each with a central underlying theme.
    So, for example, if the keyword/theme is love, can I write about my understanding of the theme? For example I would be inclined to use my education on this topic and try swinging it towards the love between a parent/child ect. (Very corny I know) but within the context of a child’s unconditional love for a parent with a severe and enduring mental illness. Basically I am going to try swing the essays to an area I can talk about which is nursing... maybe I’m completely off my game but any advice will help folks.
    As for preparing for this section, what I have decided to do is take a particular theme every couple of days and watch seminars, listen to speakers on the internet and do some up to date reading on the topic and just make key bullet points that I can work into the essay and build around.

• Advertisement

Hey folks,
    Just trying to get my head around section 2 of the exam. I know that it is 2 essays with about 5 quotes in each with a central underlying theme.
    So, for example, if the keyword/theme is love, can I write about my understanding of the theme? For example I would be inclined to use my education on this topic and try swinging it towards the love between a parent/child ect. (Very corny I know) but within the context of a child’s unconditional love for a parent with a severe and enduring mental illness. Basically I am going to try swing the essays to an area I can talk about which is nursing... maybe I’m completely off my game but any advice will help folks.
    As for preparing for this section, what I have decided to do is take a particular theme every couple of days and watch seminars, listen to speakers on the internet and do some up to date reading on the topic and just make key bullet points that I can work into the essay and build around.

Hi chips365
    You'd be absolutely right with this approach, though I would emphasise the importance of practicing your writing skills and in particular, getting your point across within 25 minutes or half an hour. I've seen some papers where the quotes would not be in my favour, and that would mean I would spend more time trying to formulate an argument.
    I would think definitely bend the quotes towards your area of study, they allegedly judge on the basis of rationale of argument and not what opinion you actually have. Many people say you should write an argument, propose a counterargument and then find a balance or disprove the counterargument or whatever, which is fine. One essay I wrote had no argument at all and was quite personal, kind of a structured stream of consciousness, so it's hard to say what they're judging on really.
    Many people send their essays off to the various Des O Neill/GAMSAT package people to correct, this might help too.
    All the best with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

Hey folks,

There seem to be so many different opinions on what makes a good essay for section 2, many of which seem to completely contradict each other! All I can do is tell you what I was told, and that is that anecdotes are key. Regardless of the theme or feeling you're given to write about, think of an anecdote which is related to it in some way (no matter how loosely!) and start telling a story! This went against every instinct I had, I was always fond of the argumentative style of essay writing, and it had always served me well in the past but I was told to avoid this for GAMSAT and, although it took an awful lot of getting used to I stuck at it and eventually felt comfortable with this new style. When the exam came around I almost chickened out and went back to the style I was more comfortable with but I stuck with what i'd been told, wrote what felt like a poor essay and scored 69 on section 2 (not astronomically high compared to some scores i've heard of, but more than enough for entry!).

Like I said, every "expert" seems to have a very different opinion on this section, that's the advice I followed and it worked for me, good luck!

Hello,
    So basically for section two would it be best to pick themes and then write a story about the theme and include personal experiences on anecdotes?? I'm very worried about this section . I've only got six months to study for this and most of the study will have to be done at the weekends . I work for a medical company and have a science degree so I'm not extremely worried about section 3(yet) but I literally haven't got a clue where to start studying for section 1 and section 2 . . Anyone able to break it down and give a quick run through of what they did ???

Hello,
    So basically for section two would it be best to pick themes and then write a story about the theme and include personal experiences on anecdotes?? I'm very worried about this section . I've only got six months to study for this and most of the study will have to be done at the weekends . I work for a medical company and have a science degree so I'm not extremely worried about section 3(yet) but I literally haven't got a clue where to start studying for section 1 and section 2 . . Anyone able to break it down and give a quick run through of what they did ???

It's totally daunting and it doesn't help that ACER give you nothing to help! But if I were you and I was worried about the essays, I'd sign up to a package that corrects essays for you, that way you can get feedback. Different packages will correct different numbers and you might even be able to get a package just for essays if you're very comfortable with your science.
    But as BarnhallBull says, all the different experts will give you different opinions.
    I'm no expert, but I got a good mark by making a quick plan of what the quotes made me think of, embracing as many quotes as were relevant throughout the writing, and referencing various writers, researchers, theories or political elements as I went along, while trying to maintain a fairly colloquial and relaxed approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

agraphia wrote: »
    while trying to maintain a fairly colloquial and relaxed approach.

+1

Trying to sound super-intelligent by using lots of big words won't help you in these essays, stay nice and informal :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭PeadarGalway

+1

Trying to sound super-intelligent by using lots of big words won't help you in these essays, stay nice and informal :)

Exactly. When I was writing my essays I pretended that I was giving a brief presentation to a group of my peers in college i.e. not too formal, but still professional and well constructed.

For anybody who is out of practice or worried about their essay writing, one thing I can say is vary your sentence length. Don't have loads of long sentences that keep on going forever with no stops, loads of ideas, commas, and that lull your examiner into a coma and have them going back over the sentence a few times because they keep loosing the main idea (like this one if it went on any longer). Keep some short and snappy. I prefer to use short snappy sentences to introduce an idea, and they are also great as openers. Longer ones also have a place, but not all of the time.

Opening sentences are oh so very important! You need to hook your reader. Smack them in the face with an image or a shocking thought. For example, in my section two gamsat essay (it was on the theme of love) I opened with "A child would kill for his parents, but a mother would gladly die for her son." Not one of my best, but it did the job. Contrast it with something along the lines of "The love between a parent and a child is a very strong and deeply rooted emotion." There's nothing wrong with it, its true but its not very interesting (in my opinion).

Also, read read read read READ! Be a magpie! If you come across a nice turn of phrase write it down, save it on your phone and use it in your essays. A book that is fantastic is AC Grayling's meaning of things. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Best of luck to everybody, GAMSAT is a monster of an exam.

Oh and try and lay off the red bull, its just not good for you at all at all!! Trying to detox it out of my system left me absolutely destroyed after the gamsat. Vowed to myself to stay away from caffeine as long as I can in medschool.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Roger_that

To the people who take the time to write long and detailed descriptions with a lot of specifics... I applaud you and have benefited from some of them myself. I just don't have it in me and what I say would probably amount to re-hashed drivel.

What I will say is this. The GAMSAT is difficult but definitely doable for ANYONE. One thing that I don't see posted around here among the different syllabi/tips etc is that simply its an EXAM. Good exam technique will get you marks. The paper has certain rules/nuances/style to it. STUDY THESE AND KNOW THEM OFF BY HEART. You'll probably need to figure it out by yourself as I did and so just spend time getting to know the practice papers INSIDE OUT.

The type of question asked can be predictable at times.

TIMING IS EVERYTHING. PRACTICE YOUR TIMING and be ruthless when it comes to moving on to the next question.

Learn a simple plan for section two (intro, par 1: for argument-against argument, par 2: repeat, par 3: repeat, conclusion).

There are many courses which you can pay thousands of euro for (I didn't) but I found Griffith's GAMSAT guide particularly useful although I wish I'd seen it months before I did. Also 'The meaning of things' by AC Grayling was very good for section 2 (as I see PeadarGalway just pointed out).

I'm only one of many people on here that have done better than I and know more than I do but those are my two cents for all you hopefuls.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LaurC

Is anyone interested in setting up a study group around the maynooth or dublin area? Preferably those who are not coming from a strong science background as starting off on the same level would probably be best.

Anyone interested let me know :)

Just looking at the exam format this section to me seems to be the place where you show your "true colours". Section 1 and 3 are multiple choice and offers the person correcting these sections no insight into the type of person you are.

One thing i have been credited for in writing essays and my thesis is that I treat the person reading the essay as if they have no prior knowledge of the topic and are just a regular person with no training in the field or understanding of our fancy terms that we use. I think the essays are an oppertunity to express yourself and are open to individuality (as long as you dont deviate from the topic altogether). My mentor who corrected my thesis always said that when she corrects essays she (and most examiners) look for specific keywords and structure to give the marks aka "box ticking"... but its the student that gives that little bit more (insight into the person who wrote the essay) than the box ticking answers that gets the A1.... basically they want to "read" the person that wrote the essay.

The 3 S's... keep it short, stupid and simple!

If that makes any sense to you!

Oh and thats for the replies folks!

Hi,
    Thanks for the replies . I actually have to buy a few books and the exam stuff from Acer. Quick question , I can't actually really afford to go on a preparation course or pay someone to correct my essays. Is it do able with out this as I hear many people who do well sign up to a course ?

Also I would be up for a study group as soon as I get the material together. I'm originally from the celbridge/maynooth area but am currently living in Dublin. I have a strong enough science background but mainly biology but I have a lot of books and notes and stuff I'm willing to share etc.

Hi,
    Thanks for the replies . I actually have to buy a few books and the exam stuff from Acer. Quick question , I can't actually really afford to go on a preparation course or pay someone to correct my essays. Is it do able with out this as I hear many people who do well sign up to a course ?

Also I would be up for a study group as soon as I get the material together. I'm originally from the celbridge/maynooth area but am currently living in Dublin. I have a strong enough science background but mainly biology but I have a lot of books and notes and stuff I'm willing to share etc.

I didn't use any package and only covered one tenth of what I had set out for myself to do, so yes, you can do it. There are also resources online you can download which can help

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭supraspinaswim

this might sound ridiculous but would lumosity provide any benefit for sharpening skills in section 1 ? Its that part that let me down in the Hpat and im eager to improve there , the rest i can handle - ish !

I ve heard about gurunmethods and have seen the site - is it any good for this or is it just another money making op . ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

I havnt started studying yet.. (this month I swear..)

I have ZERO Science background and was gonna focus on studying my ASS off at Chem/Bio etc

I figured since I have a degree in English Literature I wouldnt sweat the non science sections - Now Im super worried!! Obviously I write academically - and now thats only going to pull me down :(

Daunted.com/Icantdothis :eek:

I havnt started studying yet.. (this month I swear..)

I have ZERO Science background and was gonna focus on studying my ASS off at Chem/Bio etc

I figured since I have a degree in English Literature I wouldnt sweat the non science sections - Now Im super worried!! Obviously I write academically - and now thats only going to pull me down :(

Daunted.com/Icantdothis :eek:

Don't be daunted! You are probably very skilled and academic language is probably perfectly suitable, its just that they seem to give good marks when people show understanding above complex language.
    Remember there's lots of good opinions on past years GAMSAT threads, everyone's got different opinions on the essay section methinks

supraspinaswim i used the free trial of lumosity and loved it, i think it would definitely help for speed and looking for the right info. In a physics question for example, they might give you loads of information and you might only need two particular pieces for a formula, it's tricky. braingames are brilliant in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 SeanMD15

Hi Everyone, If you're getting bogged down with the physics in section 3 I'm available to give lessons in the Cork area. ( I'm Currently a GEM in UCC with a physics degree).

http://www.firsttutors.com/ireland/tutor/sean.physics

For the physics section what stuff do you think should be covered - is there any prevalence gamsat puts on say kinetics over nuc physics etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SeanMD15

You need to know your mechanics fairly well ( kinetics ) to do calculations in you head without taking too much time. They can ask some basic nuclear stuff too but that's easy enough to pick up, just from the leaving cert book. Des O'Neils' notes are tidy for physics if you can get your hands on them.

As for the exact breakdown of mechanics:nuclear I couldn't say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 JakeZ

Hi guys, Des O Neill notes are good (but go into a LOT of detail)-perhaps some which are not needed. I have second hand copy. for anyone who is interested in buying them PM me :) I am hoping that I wont need then for gamsat march as I was confident enough in september!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kaya770

Hey...

Any idea what sort of tests are a useful prep tool for GAMSAT? I think I will have to re-sit the exam in March due to a total disaster the September sitting was for me. I basically ended up having a sleepless night and screwed up SI (which was supposed to be my strong part with a Philosophy major!).

I am now getting around to the idea of starting the preparation again, just not sure how to approach it this time around. Having done the actual exam, my tip to anyone is to practice practice practice! The trouble is is that there are only so many ACER tests...

I have gone through all four of them and so I am now stuck for practice material. I also used Exam Krackers but imho they present a danger of falling into a certain pattern they follow, which is totally different to the GAMSAT...

Any recommendations in terms of practice materials guys?

Ye good one is gamsatsamplequestions.co.uk .its a communication guy doing GEM in UCD - first yr . Has loads of questions for section 1 - the poetry , newspapers , you name it . It has some tutorials - for numbnuts like myself that lost touch with irony and similes and metaphors .

Howd you fair out with the others ? Ive got science stuff reasonably covered - am doing a degree so its tough , but the dummies books are a real help . Biology wise im covered , doing much of what they do in medicine in my degree- clin med , pharmacology , you name it haha

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kaya770

Hey, thanks a million, I will certainly use this!

The other sections are much more palatable as you can actually prepare for them.. SII is somewhere you can earn some extra points, so long as you practice loads your essay writing!

For SIII, I have covered Bio Dummies, Chem Dummies and Org Chem I Dummies (run out of time to get into Org II) and didn't do any Physics at all.. I have watched a tonne of videos on khanacademy which is a superb source..
    I feel my biology is up to scratch, chem is so-so... But this time I will start with Physics... (sigh!) and try and do as many exercises as poss!

Time is a bitch, especially trying to balance college and work as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 salmck

Full Set of GradMed Gamsat notes for Sale:, Booterstown, Co. Dublin

I sat the Gamsat in March 2012 after doin the full GradMed course and got into RCSI. I genuinely think havin notes would be enough as they tend to just go through the notes in class and theyre so self explanatory (plus saves you €4000!)

Also have a timetable they gave us for each week that way you can pace yourself as you would if you were doing the course.

Includes:
    Science:Biology, Physics, Org Chem, Phys Chem, Maths for Science
    Written:Verbal Reasoning and explanation papers
    EssaysA and B including sample essays and explanations
    Full Mock Exam from GradMed
    Simulated Science Q book (5papers)
    Verbal Reasoning Paper x2
    4 Question and Answer papers
    2x Science 'half' papers to be done in half the time of original exam.

Looking for €500 for the lot,
    Let me know if you're interested

Good Luck
    S

PS: if you're interested in doing medicine you should also look into mature entry.. every college does it and its another option if you're 23yrs.for example: RCSI take in 15people a year.. particularly science graduates but there are also business,engineering,nursing,physio the works. you dont need a 2.1, 480points or any of that stuff. just have to sit the HPAT (although an average score seems to do.. dont worry this is not what they seem to solely judge you on!) and a VERY good personal statement. then they bring it down to interviews!only 300 people applied last year and 30 people got interviewed..so the odds are probably higher than people would assume!
    i know trinity do it as well however although they dont say it..i believe from talking to people you need a masters to be shortlisted!
    May as well its another ticket in the lottery!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ILOVETEA8

Hey, would anyone be interested in a study group in S Dublin? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Relequent

yep ill definitely be in for a study group in dublin. Sundays?

Advertisement