Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What made you smile/frown/mad/sad/cry today-thread for all your emotional needs! V4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

Off to get a train to visit the boy. We're together 7 years today :D no idea where that time went. Can't wait to see him (he better have something nice planned :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

I WANT A TINY TURTLE!!!!

198109.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I have the most amazing Mam on the planet. She lost one child and the other 4 were all given last rites at different times and yet she is the strongest woman I know. Nothing brings her down. She helps everyone out even if it means putting herself out.

If I turned out even a fraction like her I’d be the happiest girl in the world. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Got any biscuits? then we'll talk.

My house mate has some chocolate digestives I can swipe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

tomissex wrote: »
    Off to get a train to visit the boy. We're together 7 years today :D no idea where that time went. Can't wait to see him (he better have something nice planned :p)

Awh happy anniversary tomissex! 7 years.. I hope me and the bf get that far! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

In from driving lesson, where instructor decided to drop the bombshell that I should probably not bother doing my test (which is in 10 days) because I haven't a hope of passing. I don't know why it upset me so much, it's not like I thought I was Michael Schumacher or anything, but I could barely keep it together in the car and when I got inside just burst into tears, one of those heaving, cant-breathe-properly cries, for about ten minutes. Thank god no one's home to see me :rolleyes: Still going to do the test, just coz I have it booked off work. But feeling quite **** about everything right now.

And it's really sunny and I have to work in an hour :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Ever be in the middle of a conversation with someone and find yourself entirely unsure whether you're actually talking about the same thing at all???

Hate da.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Ever be in the middle of a conversation with someone and find yourself entirely unsure whether you're actually talking about the same thing at all???

Hate da.

Oh totally! I did an interview yesterday for a company I previously worked for. HR had given the interviewer my CV from 4 years ago :rolleyes: we were both chatting and looking mightily confused for a while until I asked to see my CV! Turns out the role was a very junior grad role and HR had screwed up :rolleyes:

Awkward!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

Honey-ec wrote: »

Hate da.

This, oddly enough, happened to me when I was in hospital last year. I was in with pneumonia and the doctor came in asking me had anyone put anything in my drink and all this stuff, me and the nurse were looking a each other like what the f**k?!

Turns out he thought I was a different patient who looked like me :/

In from driving lesson, where instructor decided to drop the bombshell that I should probably not bother doing my test (which is in 10 days) because I haven't a hope of passing. I don't know why it upset me so much, it's not like I thought I was Michael Schumacher or anything, but I could barely keep it together in the car and when I got inside just burst into tears, one of those heaving, cant-breathe-properly cries, for about ten minutes. Thank god no one's home to see me :rolleyes: Still going to do the test, just coz I have it booked off work. But feeling quite **** about everything right now.

Awww that's really mean :mad:

You need encouragement, not negativity. The driving test is stressful. I'm always cool as a cucumber, but I was a bag of nerves that morning. Can you get a friend or family member to go out in the car with you to practice? It's really all about practice.

I'd offer to help, but my car is scratch free and I'd prefer it to stay that way :p

Kidding.... but seriously, just practice as much as you can... and deep breaths if you feel panicked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

That is horrible!!! I can't believe someone would be that negative! Grrr :mad:

I really, really, really hope that you pass just so you can go wave it in his face. Although he sounds so ignorant he'd probably say it's all thanks to him that you passed. Please ignore what your instructor said, and go in to that test centre and prove him wrong!

Handed in my last ever assignment for my degree this morning :D now I'm making a start on revision for exams! Bleh...it would be nice to sit in the sun for a bit, but it'll be worth it in June.

I'm seriously contemplating applying for a masters in social policy. I've loved the sociology aspects of my course, and I think it would be worth doing. Can someone kick me up the asse and tell me to go for it please? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

Have just dragged myself out of bed, been dying of a migraine since lastnight.

Didn't help that some guy was driving around with a speaker screaming about the circus being on this week. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

That was really crap of your instructor. :mad:

Any chance you could do one or two lessons with a different instructor before the test, build up your confidence a bit? Because that guy sounds really unprofessional, I wouldn't give him a penny more of your money if you can help it!

Definitely go ahead and do the test. The way I saw it was, one test costs approx. the same as two driving lessons (or it did, back in my day!) And the experience you get on the day is well worth the cost of two lessons, even if you did end up failing, it'll just mean you'll be far more prepared and experienced next time round. :)

Is this your first time doing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Thanks guys, I usually get out to practice in my bf's car but we've been working completely opposite hours the last week or two so we haven't had a minute to get out. I still have five or six lessons with this asshat before my test so Im determined to prove him wrong now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

mariebeth wrote: »
    I'm seriously contemplating applying for a masters in social policy. I've loved the sociology aspects of my course, and I think it would be worth doing. Can someone kick me up the asse and tell me to go for it please? :)

*Kick*

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Thanks guys, I usually get out to practice in my bf's car but we've been working completely opposite hours the last week or two so we haven't had a minute to get out. I still have five or six lessons with this asshat before my test so Im determined to prove him wrong now!

Is there any chance you can change instructors if he's in a school? Or is he a private instructor? I'd be tempted to report him as well. I know they're there to teach, and tell you what you're doing wrong, but that kind of behaviour is not necessary. I'd also be telling anyone you know to stay away from him, word of mouth can do a lot for a persons reputation.
    EmilyO wrote: »
    *Kick*

:P

Thanks, needed that! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

My driving instructor used to say he would tell people if he didn't think they'd pass because it wasn't fair to put them through a fail when he knew they weren't ready to do it. He had a 100% pass rate because he would always tell someone when they were and weren't ready to do the test, maybe the instructor was trying to be helpful but worded it wrong...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

If anyone remembers, last week I complained about my toe.

Well I went to the physio on Monday and he said it was very swollen and he'd wait until today to see if the swelling would come down. So I went back today and I didn't expect to hear what I heard.

My body was misaligned. Yes, my left foot was shorter than my right and the movement on the left side of my body was more restricted. Because my left foot was shorter, I was putting huge pressure on my toe to get back up when walking and running.

So the physio did a bit of chiropractor work on my back. The clicking was such a weird experience that all I could do was laugh! I had to put a tennis ball underneath my hip until I rolled on to the trigger point which hurt. A lot.

Then he messaged my poor battered toe that is extensively damaged and still very swollen.

By the end of the session, my left leg was pretty much the same length as my right again and my hamstring was much more flexible. It's amazing really!

I'm on the train now. :) It's so nice to have the sun shining in the window instead of looking out at the normal dreary Irish weather. :D

Was just thinking a few minutes ago that my college application could have been delivered by now if I was in time for last post yesterday.. Kinda scary. If it all works out it'll be weird to be a student again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Lunch was a success.

The key lime pie was also a success, my mother loved it, she normally dislikes sweet things, but loved this. I didn't actually like the pie, found it too tangy and heavy :(

:D:D:D

Gonna have some Ben & Jerry's Berry White now, hope it's nice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

If it cheers you up at all, after I passed my test I found the instructor put a bet on with my dad cos he was so sure i'd fail. If I failed my dad had to give him 50 quid, if I passed the instructor had to give me 50 quid and explain why. He was mortified explaining it to me!

Oh not good... My tummy feels weird again. No more food for me... :(

I feel like absolute sh!te right mow, feel like I just want to cry. :(

Also managed to break a bottle of Nails Inc nail polish :mad: Paid £11 GBP for it ages ago and it was one of my faves too :( Don't know how I managed it ffs.

Hope you feel better soon Jane :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

pampootie wrote: »
    If it cheers you up at all, after I passed my test I found the instructor put a bet on with my dad cos he was so sure i'd fail. If I failed my dad had to give him 50 quid, if I passed the instructor had to give me 50 quid and explain why. He was mortified explaining it to me!

That's so clever of your dad though!

Best of luck TeletextPear, don't let him frighten you into failing it!

Went and had a talk with a lecturer about a grade I'm not happy with, but it's a group project so getting it remarked might be more hassle than it's worth, and one member of the group did absolutely feck all so even though I want my grade to go up really badly, I kinda want his to not even more. I hate group projects, especially when you're forced to work with someone that you know is going to be more of a hindrance than a help.:mad:

I feel like absolute sh!te right mow, feel like I just want to cry. :(

Also managed to break a bottle of Nails Inc nail polish :mad: Paid £11 GBP for it ages ago and it was one of my faves too :( Don't know how I managed it ffs.

Hope you feel better soon Jane :)

Awwww cheer up.... *hugs*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

:mad:

That's so clever of your dad though!

Best of luck TeletextPear, don't let him frighten you into failing it!

Went and had a talk with a lecturer about a grade I'm not happy with, but it's a group project so getting it remarked might be more hassle than it's worth, and one member of the group did absolutely feck all so even though I want my grade to go up really badly, I kinda want his to not even more. I hate group projects, especially when you're forced to work with someone that you know is going to be more of a hindrance than a help.

When I was doing my masters one of the things I loved in our course was that when we did a group project we also turned in an evaluation of everyone we worked with on the project. The evaluation was only seen by the professor but it was used by them during grading.

That way when the one idiot who never pulls their weight gets their grade it reflects the level of effort that they put into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

:mad:
    Went and had a talk with a lecturer about a grade I'm not happy with, but it's a group project so getting it remarked might be more hassle than it's worth, and one member of the group did absolutely feck all so even though I want my grade to go up really badly, I kinda want his to not even more. I hate group projects, especially when you're forced to work with someone that you know is going to be more of a hindrance than a help.

Where I'm in college you can, if a group project goes terribly, apply to be considered individually for a grade on the basis of the work you put into it & everyone then basically has to hand up the work they did to the lecturer. So if someone sat back & did nothing and you have the balls you can rat them out everyone gets an individual mark. I think you have to have gotten a bad grade & have it specifically be because someone in your group did nothing, might be the same where you're studying.

Is eyebrow threading sore?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LostGirly

Kiera wrote: »
    Is eyebrow threading sore?

It's not sore, it's irritating! I found it to feel like a thousand mini paper cuts! I actually thought I was going to come out with blood streaming down my face but I actually wasn't even that red! It found it didn't last but the shape is great but I hate the sensation!

LostGirly wrote: »
    It's not sore, it's irritating! I found it to feel like a thousand mini paper cuts! I actually thought I was going to come out with blood streaming down my face but I actually wasn't even that red! It found it didn't last but the shape is great but I hate the sensation!

:eek:

I want a nice shape so i can keep it trim myself. Maybe a few painkillers will help before i get it done :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LostGirly

I want a nice shape so i can keep it trim myself. Maybe a few painkillers will help before i get it done :)

No it's actually not sore! As I said it's just plain irritating! I hate the sensation! But most people don't mind it at all! Everyone is different! I prefer to get my eyebrows tweezed a lot of people hate tweezing!

If I'm tweezing my brows, I rub on some bonjela and it numbs the area... maybe put it on just before getting them waxed or threaded :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

LostGirly wrote: »

Paper cuts are really sore.....

*got a paper cut on on my eye 5 years ago and ever since have suffered corneal errosion :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

have a couple of strong whiskeys : )

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

*got a paper cut on on my eye 5 years ago and ever since have suffered corneal errosion :(

Owiee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

jujibee wrote: »
    When I was doing my masters one of the things I loved in our course was that when we did a group project we also turned in an evaluation of everyone we worked with on the project. The evaluation was only seen by the professor but it was used by them during grading.

That way when the one idiot who never pulls their weight gets their grade it reflects the level of effort that they put into it.

That would be unreal, it's hit me a bit this year and I'm so angry that the work I put in brings someone else up when they haven't done a tap!
    Where I'm in college you can, if a group project goes terribly, apply to be considered individually for a grade on the basis of the work you put into it & everyone then basically has to hand up the work they did to the lecturer. So if someone sat back & did nothing and you have the balls you can rat them out everyone gets an individual mark. I think you have to have gotten a bad grade & have it specifically be because someone in your group did nothing, might be the same where you're studying.

I pretty much asked that, and I already reported the person, but the lecturer said that since the grade is set out as a group grade in the book of modules, and that was agreed on at the start, they can't change it just for one group now that the project is done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

just cooked some Tofu, but I think it's bad... smells a bit, and I can't finish it, icky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

What were you doing that you got a paper cut in your eye?!

Sounds very ouchy alright.

So pissed off right now. All day long my granny has been making sly digs and insults at me for no good reason.

I am so close to telling her off for it.

I cooked lunch, soup and made a pie today, numerous times she said to my boyfriend and mother "they know where to look and who to blame if they get sick", and she's not joking. She loves doing this. I am so fed up of it.

No matter what I do she always, always finds a way to criticise me or make me feel small and useless.

I spent all morning and afternoon cooking (by choice, I didn't have to do it) and I really don't appreciate being made little of and having my efforts torn to shreds.

If she continues with it I'll probably end up giving out to her over it, I put up with so much from her and never say anything and my patience is slowly running out with her.

Just because she is elderly doesn't give her the right to treat me and others like dirt.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,480 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Got my Easter Hols today!!! No college for 2 weeks:D Unfortunately I still have to prepare for a presentation and study alot:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Julybreeze

Curently nomming into my hangover feast of onion bahjis, vegetable somosas and spicy wedges. I think that's my quota of proccessed junk for the year in one sitting but it's so goooooood.

Also have been in regular contact with a boy I met on an online dating site a few days ago, he's proper lovely :)

should take the food back off her and say "oh i thought you didnt want it"
    for bonus points throw in "we wouldnt want you getting sick at your age after all"

to driving test TP, it's possible he was trying to be constructive
    that said i had someone put me through a test i failed, told me after "yeah i figured you would but good experience right"
    nothing to do with wanting all that extra money off me i'm sure :rolleyes::mad:

if you are in dublin i can strongly recommend and PM details for the instructor i did pass with - she's amazing
    as for the test itself, i did something silly at the start, convinced i'd failed, and loosened up and relaxed for the rest of it. that's how i passed i reckon, was a bag of nerves before it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Guys........
    I need yer help!!!!

I'm considering applying for a pHd in NUIG (microbial molecular ecology thingy), swore I'd never consider doing one but well, here I am considering it!!

Am I mad??
    How have any of ye found them?
    I'm afraid and I'm not sure why:eek:

the most important thing is to meet the prospective supervisor from what ive heard/done, cos you can expect to be doing a lot of work and hours on your own
    and then hate your thesis for the last year
    loads of my friends have done them, one got delayed for about a year since the supervisor was never around to correct/finalise it/whatever it was

if you're passionate about it though, go for it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Guys........
    I need yer help!!!!

I'm considering applying for a pHd in NUIG (microbial molecular ecology thingy), swore I'd never consider doing one but well, here I am considering it!!

Am I mad??
    How have any of ye found them?
    I'm afraid and I'm not sure why:eek:

Yes, you are, it's why we love you
    Ask me that in a billionty years
    Fell the fear and do it anyway;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

awesome-animals-amusing-31.jpg?w=500&h=606

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

@KittyeeTrix

I am nearly at the end of my PhD in a different subject. I love my subject and have never had doubts on that level. It is really hard though; you will be working alone a lot and have to put your life on hold while you do it. It really and truly becomes your life. Make sure you have that passion for your topic, because that is what will get you through those tough times when you're broke, on your own and up at 3A.M. trying to finish a paper! I have no regrets and am delighted I did it. Didn't have a clue what I was getting myself into though! Best of luck with it, hope it all works out really well for you. :-)

Also: what someone else said about finding the right supervisor is 100% right. That will make or break a project. I have seen people drop out because of a bad supervisor, so make sure you can work with them both personally and academically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

3 assignments due tomorrow. 1 is now complete. 1 is half done. 1 is yet to be started. This weather has ruined my productivity... That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

I've been to Bray and I've been to Blessington. I've been to TGI Friday's and I've been to Nando's. All while I was supposed to be doing these damn case studies.

But I'm so happy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Thanks guys!!
    I knew ye'd help me out....

I know the supervisor as have had her this year and last year for modules in my degree and she is lovely! Very helpful, approachable and about the same age as myself.
    I think I may have a good chance at it as I scored a high 75% in her module last year so yes....... Feeling like I'm gonna bite the bullet and do it... Well, at least apply for it. :pArrrggghhhh....

EXCITED:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Feelin' a little mixed today happy yet slightly dissatisfied :p, I was cycling from Dublin city centre after a bike service and felt great, sun was shining, wind in my hair I was like yeeeeah life.

Finally just got back and there is a spring in my step with the weather but I always feel like I am wasting sunny days because there's no one around to just sit on the grass with and have a bit of wine and cheese, or go to the beach with or go for a drive but aha that is the grass being greener! And also the big lonely housing estate I live in, ha I know I'm such a sap :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement