Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Military Photo Thread (Discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

That front end and upper look very similar to the LWRC M6 gas piston drop in kits for the AR15 platform.

http://www.lwrci.com/p-4-m6a2.aspx

similar but the one form the photo looks a lot larger and does not appear to be CNCed from one lump, it looks like a tube with the rails attached after-woods, but that could just be me, the diameter seems very large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Puding wrote: »
    similar but the one form the photo looks a lot larger and does not appear to be CNCed from one lump, it looks like a tube with the rails attached afterwoods

Yeah it's different alright. The un-ID'd one above has more vent holes in the handguard than the LWRC models.

This is the closest I could find to it.
    http://www.lwrci.com/p-105-556-psd-upper.aspx

The only other guesses off the top of my head would be that it is a LaRue or LMT settup, they would be the main mil-spec aftermarket manufactures I believe after KAC of course.

Think I got it. The fore end is made by YHM. With the fore end and upper the same colour it looks like a drop in kit, weather it's a gas piston setup or not is not clear, but considering it's an complete upper change out I'd say it is a gas piston setup of some kind.
    http://yankeehillmachine.com/store/product439.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭whydave

Are the Magpul FDE PMAGs Magazines general issue in the US Army ?

dfsfsdfk.jpg

whydave wrote: »
    Are the Magpul FDE PMAGs Magazines general issue in the US Army ?

dfsfsdfk.jpg

i do not believe there issues but there on the approved list for individuals to buy, i was also reading some where that units are starting to pick them up as they have been authorized thought official logistics channels, think it was a marine unit i was reading about, will try and dig up the article if i can

i would imagine Manic Moran would be able to give some information

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Pmags are now on issue in Afghanistan for certain units, IIRC the USMC is going for them in a big way. They seem to be more reliable in those conditions and a lot tougher.

And as for patrolling "off track" what the hell do they think the British, and others, were doing for the last several years?

OzCam wrote: »
    The photo above happens to be Air Force (and Afghan Army)

Pmags are now on issue in Afghanistan for certain units, IIRC the USMC is going for them in a big way. They seem to be more reliable in the those conditions and a lot tougher.

was marines in the article i remember reading, and i found the article in the end http://soldiersystems.net/2010/04/13/marines-and-the-pmag/ :)
    Marines and the PMAG

Holy Schnookies! A Marine Using a PMAG. How Can This Be? - Photo Lance Corporal Tommy Bellegarde USMC

Last fall we published a story on why Marines don’t have the PMAG but it’s about time that we update it. Two models of PMAGs actually do have National Stock Numbers (PMAG 30 Black Window: 1005-01-576-5164 and PMAG 30 Black Non-Window: 1005-01-576-5159). What’s more, the Marine Corps is the only authorized user of these restricted NSNs and has requisitioned them from the Defense Logistics Agency by the thousands, over and over. In fact, there is a procurement of 10,000 PMAGs on the DLA Internet Bid Board System (DIBBS) right now. Not only have we seen documentation attesting to this fact but we have also dug up a few photos from the Department of Defense’s own imagery server as further proof. Despite assertions to the contrary, Marines are using PMAGs, and to great effect.

Looks like their PMAGs fit in their USMC issue ammo pouches. - Photo by Lance Corporal Tommy Bellegarde

Plenty of Army troops are using PMAGs as well, whether issued by the unit or privately purchased. Thus far the Army has fielded 600,000 of a planned 7.7 Million of the new tan follower aluminum magazines and some Soldiers are using the PMAG as an alternative. COL Tamilio, Program Manager for Soldier Weapons recently stated that his office would be publishing a list of approved commercial magazines for use by Soldiers but there is no word on what is expected to be on that list.

We use PMAGs here at SSD. When there was a run on magazines right around the election of 2008, we spent our money on PMAGs. They are affordable and reliable for our use. However, magazines are expendable and should be inspected and maintained regularly and replaced when needed.

www.magpul.com

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

We had quite a number of people who had made personal PMAG purchases. I went with Lancers (See photo in post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68418081&postcount=72) but did bring two PMAGs along which had come as freebies with one of my rifles. In 2005 I had purchased a number of British steel mags instead of the aluminium ones. Definitely heavier, but better reputation.

Legally speaking, personally owned magazines are the 'dodgiest' of the common weapons mods. However, they're a little less critical as if one fails, well, you've got at least another six of 'em. I've never heard of anyone called up for using a personal magazine.

I have not seen the 'list of authorised commercial magazines' referenced.

NTM

I have not seen the 'list of authorised commercial magazines' referenced.

NTM

well that what you get from reading airsoft forums at time, hard to separate the wheat from the chaf as they say :)

It may exist, I just haven't seen nor heard of it. A quick search on the PEO Soldier site and general Googling doesn't turn it up either.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Do Russian conscripts have to get their own camo? I've seen various pictures of Russian's wearing all sorts, especially this one. If of course they are russian, it's just me generalising by the weapons and the signature on the picture.
    06.jpg

• Advertisement

This question was raised on another forum a while ago. The answer, from a Russian, is that you wear what you're issued. What you get depends on what's in the stores at the time. That's true of all armies but the Russian one just happens to have a million ;) different patterns.

The Russian army is transitioning to a new digital pattern (Puding can point you to 100s of pics). I don't think it's great, too little contrast, but at some future date they'll at least all be wearing the same gear in the same unit. They're very reluctant to throw out old stuff that still works, especially if it's good enough for training.

Dress and ceremonial uniforms are top notch. The videos on YouTube of the changing of the guard on Lenin's Tomb or the Grave of the Unknown Soldier are well worth a look.

the picture is of omon which is for a better term kinda like a swat unit but with far more powers and can be deployed to combat ( yes it yets complicated and messy with internal and external forces :) )

there actually remarkably consistent, apart from one or two bits of camo with all wearing swome form of gorka ( mountain suit ) on paper these should all be the same the issue is there made by about 4 or 5 different company each with a slightly different design the colour i would imagine is more down to age and fading, the guy in the front looks like regular army i would imagine an instructor in this case ( 8 out of 9 in gorka suits with one army instructor )

the regular army and in particular any conscripts are likely to the be the most consistently dressed with simple flora and simple webbing across the board

and this is where the differences start to become clear, in Russia you have the internal and external, internal ranges from swat like units in citys to militia esk units for regional areas, there role is wide and there history is messy. Think of every city , state and agency like the fbi in the US having its own personal army and your going in the right direction ( if you look at different swat units in the US you can see the diversely in equipment with them as well )

Know as there run by each city state or agency each one is equipped differently, the individual members also have more freedom to buy there own equipment and you also have examples of company's sponsoring ( for lack of a better work ) units, with each company wanting there gear being used by the best units

external is what we would see as the conventional army with this you have more consistency, with flora across the board in most cases and digi flora starting to be rolled out, but you run into some of the same issues as the internal forces with 4 or 5 company's supplying gear each with a slightly different design, also units will be issues unique gear depending on deployments, but same issue, a unit can be issues partizan based gorka suits on 3 occasions and each time get a different design as it comes from a different company

sorry the post is a little all over the place, will try and post some pics and maybe re write it when i get back from work :)

Puding wrote: »
    gorka ( mountain suit )
    Were can you get these ?
    David

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

50928331097ab792c5e3b.jpg
    5092833507e6fafde787b.jpg

Why is there a guy running around in DDPM and equipped with an AKM (long sickle-shaped mag - way longer than a STANAG; woooden furniture foregrip) running around with a US army unit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Were can you get these ?
    David

Here, comerade Dave; Soviet Propoganda

as lemming said soviet propoganda is very good, link to the gorka suits http://www.soviet-propaganda.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_24

i've also found http://www.equipcenter.ru/en/category/odezhda/ to be very good with some nice prices, although they only use moneybooker or bank to bank for payment which puts a few people off

Lemming wrote: »
    Why is there a guy running around in DDPM and equipped with an AKM (long sickle-shaped mag - way longer than a STANAG; woooden furniture foregrip) running around with a US army unit?

more than likely a local from a police unit or ana? i know military units do not have the power of arrest so they will normally have an attached local for that purpose well its that way with the UK forces i've seen anyway

My guess is the same reason there was a guy (me) in American ACU equipped with an M4 running around with a French Army unit. If you've got the opportunity, jump on it.

d278fb0a2f5b59aef057436ec5c8_grande.jpg

200327546_fa9c82b782_o.jpg

They also use temperate DPM.

Aspect_din_timpul_vizitei_la_Batalionul_22_VM.sized.jpg

Zabul is Romanian territory, they basically run FOB Laghman, which is the largest base in Qalat. Not a bad base, has a coffee shop, but gets very muddy in bad weather. Not many hardstand buildings.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Look like security contractors more than anything ,DDPM and no miliary ranks or unit badges

• Advertisement

The Chinook in question was Bravo November. The only aircraft I'm aware of to have a monument built to it, still making the news.
    Gatling wrote: »
    Look like security contractors more than anything ,DDPM and no miliary ranks or unit badges

Well, I guess the Romanians didn't put 'place for rank sliders' high on their list of requirements for DDPM armour. And lots of countries don't wear unit insignia on their combats, Ireland comes to mind.

NTM

Zabul is Romanian territory, they basically run FOB Laghman...
    NTM

I'm sure you meant Romanian AOR. I doubt the allegedly corrupt, allegedly incompetent and allegedly useless Afghan Government would like anyone to think that Zabul wasn't their sovereign territory.

RIP to the fallen (which, for the benefit of other readers, includes several Romanians).

Avtomat Kalashnikova!
    ak47_3a.jpg

tokyo marui ak47 ftw :)

''now cut the red one !!!''
    1566ebr.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

Sorry about chat on other thread(kicking self up the ar$e)

Does anyone know who the dude is?

Dave usually tell us who,where and why.

Dogwatch wrote: »
    anyone know who the dude is?

80754562.jpg

sorry no info him this is all I have ''Mexican Marines taking drug cartel members in to custody.''

• Advertisement

80754562.jpg

sorry no info him this is all I have ''Mexican Marines taking drug cartel members in to custody.''

WHY, Dave:D:D:D :p:p

think they're sayin nice things !:D
    aaq.sized.jpg

Wolfhound is the new 6x6 cargo version of the Mastiff. Both of them can mount either a GPMG, heavy or Grenade machine gun in either a powered turret or a RCWS. The Wolfhound is more of a truck than a squad carrier. The one in the MOD's photo from the testing track was configured more for IED protection than assault. Ridgeback is a 4x4 version.

See http://www.army.mod.uk/equipment/fighting-vehicles/13867.aspx for more photos.

Feedback from A'stan is that the Mastiff is a fine vehicle, more comfortable than might be expected and very well protected. It's also a lot easier to get in and out of than the Aussie Bushmaster and not as top-heavy as some of the US vehicles. The only drawback seems to be the sheer size and weight of it.

There's also another version coming, designed for route clearance. C&S magazine have featured them recently. It's kinda hard to remember which of the dog names refers to which vehicle, there's a whole pack* of them coming into service.

* See what I did there...

think they're sayin nice things !

I'm kindof curious about the earplugs.

When I did the infiltration course, yes, they were firing rounds and setting off explosions, but you didn't really want to be standing up on the course as it was going on, just in case the T&E tipped.

NTM

When I did the infiltration course, yes, they were firing rounds and setting off explosions, but you didn't really want to be standing up on the course as it was going on, just in case the T&E tipped.

NTM

Typical Health and Safety at work

• Advertisement

NTM
    It is to ensure they do not deafen themselves. After all they are constantly barraged by the sound of their own voices at maximum volume.:eek::eek:

Gotta love USMC Drill Sergeants

Dogwatch wrote: »
    It is to ensure they do not deafen themselves. After all they are constantly barraged by the sound of their own voices at maximum volume.:eek::eek:

Gotta love USMC Drill Sergeants

I prefere the we dont listen to private pile cry like little girls devices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Gatling wrote: »
    I prefere the we dont listen to private pile cry like little girls devices

Here ya go
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8Nf1MK7lts&feature=related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beez

I never realised they stacked sh1t that high!

palash02.jpg

TAKE YOU HITS !!!!:p:p:p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Whats the name of the cruiser that boards Autocensored it?:p

Those private security lads look well professional:rolleyes:

USS Gettysburg.

boards.ie didn't censor it, someone else did. That particular autocensor produces some spectacularly idiotic results sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Whats the idea of the RPG? For Special Operations, simular to a FN SCAR-H?

What ever it is, it's butt ugly :(

Couldn't be more different. I wouldn't want to use the "Mk777" for room clearing... One's a carbine, the other's a rocket launcher!

Not sure what to make of it. For starters, I can't for the life of me figure out how you're supposed to use the sight on the top rail. Other pictures of the system also show an M4-style buttstock behind the second handgrip.

They'd have done better spending the money on more M3s.

BTW, "Mk" is usually a US Navy designation, or, in this case, a factory internal designation. I've not seen it type classified by the US Army, though the Mk777 has been around since the beginning of 2009.

NTM

Couldn't be more different. I wouldn't want to use the "Mk777" for room clearing... One's a carbine, the other's a rocket launcher!

Not sure what to make of it. For starters, I can't for the life of me figure out how you're supposed to use the sight on the top rail. Other pictures of the system also show an M4-style buttstock behind the second handgrip.

They'd have done better spending the money on more M3s.

BTW, "Mk" is usually a US Navy designation, or, in this case, a factory internal designation. I've not seen it type classified by the US Army, though the Mk777 has been around since the beginning of 2009.

NTM

Ok i said that a bit badly. What i ment was simular to the SCAR-H using 7.62x39 it uses RPG rockets :)

• Advertisement

The standard issue SCAR-H uses 7.62x51. Sure, it's possible to fit a 7.62x39 conversion to it, but you can do that with a lot of rifles.

colt_ar15_rifle_762_hybridmagazine_rambo.jpg

7.62x39 is quite a popular calibre for AR-15s in the US, it's often large enough for hunting, and the ammo is a lot cheaper than 5.56mm/.223.

NTM

The standard issue SCAR-H uses 7.62x51. Sure, it's possible to fit a 7.62x39 conversion to it, but you can do that with a lot of rifles.

colt_ar15_rifle_762_hybridmagazine_rambo.jpg

7.62x39 is quite a popular calibre for AR-15s in the US, it's often large enough for hunting, and the ammo is a lot cheaper than 5.56mm/.223.

NTM

I thought it used 7.62x39 as standard :o
    Actully i saw a picture on the news the other day of a US soldier, he looked like a marine, using an AKM with a RIS front handguard and side folding stock. He was deffiently not a contracter.
    I suppose he could have picked it up but it didn't look like your typical Iraqi AK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

swiftblade wrote: »
    I thought it used 7.62x39 as standard :o
    Actully i saw a picture on the news the other day of a US soldier, he looked like a marine, using an AKM with a RIS front handguard and side folding stock. He was deffiently not a contracter.
    I suppose he could have picked it up but it didn't look like your typical Iraqi AK.

7.62 x 39 is the russian caliber used in the ak47/akm pattern rifles, the pkm and dragunov use 7.62 x 54r which is also the moisin nagant round afaik

The nato 7.62 is 7.62 x 51

The second number denotes case length (iirc) in mm

According to Soldier Systems, the Mk777 name is taken from the weight of the item, 7.77lbs. It's not an official service designation.

The manufacturer's idea seems to be to offer a well-made RPG launcher that can be confidently used by US forces for training or when working with allies who have a lot of rounds available. I agree with MM though, the EOTech on the demo model can only be for show. It might be possible to mount a sight from the EGLM or something like it on that rail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

It would want to be slighty off-set to the side too, otherwise they will have soldiers with funny shaped necks after awhile.

Class !
    2lvz5ae.jpg

Britain is considering selling a fleet of fighter jets it can no longer afford to fly, government minister Peter Luff was quoted as saying on Monday in an interview with the Financial Times. India is the most likely purchaser of the Harrier, according to the newspaper.
    cvxc.jpg

SKYNET ........ Were is John Connor !!!!!!
    220px-John_Connor_T4.JPG

An unmanned vehicle is seen during a demonstration as part of a Homeland Security Conference at Ben Gurion international airport near Tel Aviv November 2, 2010. Israel is considering making the driverless vehicles a part of a new security regimen to be instituted at the airport by 2012.

erwe.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭.22 Lover

Is that unmanned vehicle armed at all or is it just for recon?

• Advertisement

It's Israeli, what do you think? If it isn't now, it soon will be. The turret from the Merkava is probably too heavy, but I'm sure they'll think of something. They don't do subtlety, bless 'em.

Advertisement