Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wedding Dress shops

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭kateof

I am reallly tempted to buy online...I don't want to spend any more than €400 on a dress..and there are really gorgeous ones online! But then there's the nightmare of what if it doesn't fit right, doesn't look like in the pic, etc..

Also, I REALLY don't want a train...just a floor-length dress, that's it! All the nice ones seem to have some kind of train tho :( Anyone know can drssmakers get rid of them?

Marians in Galway City have wedding dresses starting price 250-euro! Was in with my sis and she got a beaut for 395, it was way more to begin with. and they were great to us, really know their stuff. might be worth a try, to take the worry out of it for u?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Jeutonic in Kilkenny are having a sale starting May 3rd for one week.

www.jeutonic.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

I got mine in Belladonna Bridal in Galway. Honestly they have beautiful dresses. I was sick of seeing nothing but fussy, strapless numbers or overly funky frocks that only belong on a catwalk. I particularly loved the Charlotte Balbier collections. If you are going there, ask for Cathy. Good luck wherever you go and enjoy shopping!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 EimearM

I put my deposit down a couple of months ago. Not getting married until August next year so haven't even gotten measured yet.

I am getting my made to measure in Tamem Michael in Ballymount. Paula the owner and designer is one half of the mother and daughter team that make up Tamem Michael and she couldn't have been nicer.

I went for a 1950's inspired, tea length, sweetheart shape, ivory dress. With detatchable parts for my day look to cover my ..... "pride" in the church.

I can't recommend TM highly enough for customer service. Paula made a huge impression on me and compared to other shops I went to she really gave me her undivided attention and very professional opinions.

I also ordered my veil from TM at less than €60 it was a bargain, considering I was quoted €200 from another retailer.

Hopefully I will be as happy with my dress as I am with the trying and buying experience so far.

That dress sounds gorgeous Eimear, and it seems like you had a great experience in Tamem Michael. I might go there for accessories based on your recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

I just ordered my dress on Saturday.
    I first tried on THE dress in another shop about 4 months ago (price tag €1,350), took my time looking around at other styles etc & confirmed with myself that it was the one, so then I did my research!
    I emailed the manufacturer of the dress & obtained a list of all suppliers in the island of Ireland that stocked their brand. I then proceeded to email each shop & asked how much they were retailing this particular dress at.
    I got an email back saying they had the dress for €950! That is a whopping €400 difference! So needless to say the dress is ordered & I've saved a bunch!
    I mentioned this to a few friends recently married who had purchased their dress as soon as they saw it & had that 'this is the once/emotional' feeling, & they couldnt get over the amount I saved with simple enquiries.
    So just wanted to let you all know!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

I just heard that The Wedding Collection in Kennedy Avenue Carlow are having a closing down sale, they are shutting up their shop Aug 27th & from then on they will no longer sell dresses as they will be concentrating on their online business of accessories, stationery etc. So it might be a good chance to bag a bargain!

I'm not very surprised by this actually. I didn't think they were great with regards selection.

Could you let me know the price range for Tamem Michael? I had a look at their website and saw some lovely dresses, but are they very expensive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭thumper10

thanks for that, good saving tip

• Registered Users Posts: 27 rider66

I was having a MISERABLE time shopping for a dress. I am short and heavy so only 2 of the first 8 shops I went to even had anything I could try on, even though some of the others told me they had my size before I traveled to them! And even though they could order a size large enough for me (extra cost) it would have to be shortened and fitted (more extra costs)!

So, I ordered my dress online - did a TON of research and read more customer feedback than I thought existed! But I got a gorgeous, custom made gown for 149 euro, including shipping from China! It does not have the built-in undergarments, but it is well made and the vendor was very helpful and corrected the few small problems very quickly. I will be taking it to a local dressmaker to do a little something with the train, but between her charges, the new undergarments, and the original 149 euros - I'm just tickled at how much I saved! I also bought my fancy veil online from eBay for 15 euro!

I will also tell you that they customized my dress design a bit to suit me, changing the sleeves and back a little. This was one of the best things I could have done for myself. I can be much more relaxed on the day since I won't be worried about damaging a 1000+ euro dress!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 The Lioness

Can anyone who has done a lot of dress shopping let me know if you saw many shorter, tea length dresses and if so, where? I don't want to go out with the dream of one of these dresses in my head if it's going to be impossible to find one. Thanks!

Dirty Fabulous Vintage Shop in Dublin have a lot of tea length dresses.

Lioness, I haven't done a lot of shopping by any means but I have seen some. They're becoming more fashionable but still not the norm. A good way is to take a look at dress designers to get a feel for their style. Charlotte Balbier has a few new tea length dresses that are gorgeous! See the following:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10150792844795007&set=a.10150792834490007.720794.235774075006&type=1&theater
    http://www.weddinggowntown.com/blog/2009/03/20/top-six-wedding-dress-trends-for-20092010/ (half way down the page)
    http://thedressmarket.blogspot.com/2010/02/charlotte-balbier-marylin.html

Good luck! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Can anyone who has done a lot of dress shopping let me know if you saw many shorter, tea length dresses and if so, where? I don't want to go out with the dream of one of these dresses in my head if it's going to be impossible to find one. Thanks!

oh, I love those 50's style dresses! I've had a look before at those as well, the "forget me not" collection by Geraldine Tulloch has a short one that looks a bit like the ones LeeHoffmann posted.
    I had also seen some on ebay, that made them to order. e.g. http://cgi.ebay.ie/wedding-dress-bridal-gown-short-60s-50s-audrey-hepburn-/270746284698?pt=UK_Wedding_Clothing&hash=item3f09bc729a

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

My friend got married in a Vivien of Holloway dress and it looked like it was made for her, she wore a pink petticoat but that would be entirely up to you! I think it cost her €200 for the dress and the petticoat together.

Petticoats a Plenty are another online shop with some gorgeous dresses, a little more expensive at £350 but still reasonable compared to most bridal shops.

I got something similar before off ebay and I must say that the fit around the sweetheart neckline wasn't great as I'm not particularly busty, and it also rode up on the back around the waist. It was the same style, but obviously by a different seamstress, so I guess the fit would vary by who you'd got to make it for you.
    The dress on Petticoats a Plenty is same as one I saw off ebay... So lovely. It's a tad more expesive, so do check our their postage charges before you compare prices again.

Gatica wrote: »
    I got something similar before off ebay and I must say that the fit around the sweetheart neckline wasn't great as I'm not particularly busty, and it also rode up on the back around the waist. It was the same style, but obviously by a different seamstress, so I guess the fit would vary by who you'd got to make it for you.

Vivien of Holloway are a very high quality dressmaker though, I wouldn't liken them to buying from eBay at all, which is a bit of a lottery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 The Lioness

Ladies, thanks so much for your help, there are some lovely dresses there! I've renewed hope that I'll find something to suit me. I love that one from Petticoats a Plenty, I'm going to give them a call tomorrow to check out the postage rates (thanks for pointing that out, Gatica) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 becs21

Hi Ladies,

I'm new to Boards but loving reading all the posts, lots of places i've never heard of before - have to check some of them out. I was going to a wedding fair tomorrow but my sister saw an ad for a sale at the hotel in blanchardstown shopping centre tomorrow so we're heading to that instead - i'm a size 9 (know i'm a freak in the footwear dept) and the girl running the sale has some bridal shoes in my size also going to check out the dresses but it's my first time - has anyone bought their dress 1st time out or would i be mad even if i'm getting one for a fraction of the normal price???

• Advertisement

of course that's not mad! if you find a dress you love and it's at a bargain price, why miss out?
    if you're the kind of person that will continue seeing dresses you like after and may regret it, then don't :)

btw, there was another girl on another forum that was looking for size 9 shoes... Where did you get yours? I'll see if I cant find it, may be of help to her.

never mind, just saw that you already posted there :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭fuddy1

Havent been dress shopping yet so looking for everyone else's wisdom. getting married november '12 so want something to wear with dress for photos outside so i wont freeze. would love a full length coat to go over the dress but cant really find anything online. Have seen cloaks but would prefer a coat.....anyone seen anything out there?

Capes is the only thing I've seen too. I saw a lovely long coat online and enquired about the price and it was over 1000 Euro, so was a no go for me.
    I'm planning on getting a lovely white shawl.

My friend tried on a beautiful coat and dress in marians galway (theyre closing the galway shop and have a big sale on) I think it was size 12/14 or maybe 10/12. If I remember it was reduced to 750 euro or there abouts. It was fab, but she's getting married in Italy and it was too covered up. Good luck with it.

Would still be too expensive for the likes of me :(

See if you like it first, then make them an offer you can afford! they close this friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭fuddy1

yeah its a bit expensive for me too. thanx tho. am wondering if a coloured coat might be a better bet, easier to find and hopefully cheaper....my mam doesnt like idea of me not wearing anything thats not white/ivory but i think a strong colour might look nice outside in winter time....

I know what you mean, i saw a full length red cape with a hood, (like the scottish widows), they had it in Ivory too. I've no idea of the price, but they looked really cool. good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭wildrover444

hi just putting this post up for a friend:

Has any used ebridalsuperstore.com to order a wedding dress, or know anyone who has used it and would you recommend it.

Haven’t a clue what else to ask

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Betty Draper

I am freaking out here.

i am getting married in April and i cant find "the dress"

I am not wearing white (groom is though).

I am looking for tea-length, 50's /60's style in red/blue or polka dots - i really dont care about the colour either halter neck or 3/4 length sleeves

i am not looking to spend a fortune.

i have no problems getting it made, if i could find the style and get to try it on, cos i am not sure if the style will suit me :(

They stock these in Retro in George's St arcade, Dublin so you can try on the style - the ladies there are very helpful.

Dolorous wrote: »
    They stock these in Retro in George's St arcade, Dublin so you can try on the style - the ladies there are very helpful.

brilliant - thank you, will be dropping in there this week.

thanks

Thanks All, just to let you know I bought my dress in Retro at the weekend.

Dellighted with myself, just need to hide it now so i dont get bored looking at it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭beltzar

Hey folks,
    Getting my dress made here. http://www.clairegarvey.com/

Clare is very easygoing and friendly. If you're looking for something a little different this is the place to go. She has designed clothes for Sinead O Connor, Mary Coughlan, Enya, Ali Heuston etc.

Her shop is worth a drop in if you're in town. She's in Temple Bar, close to Dame Street.

I'm just worried now how to match up the grooms outfit to "go with" my dress. We are thinking of basing it on Seth Bullocks Sherriffs clothes in DEADWOOD.

olyphant_timothy_5_300x430.jpg

deadwood02.jpg

Am I crazy!?

hey everyone, well going to look at dress for the second time in baldoyle this coming weekend, bringing the 3 Bm to give them a look, but hopig to order the dress, just need to get a bit more on the pricing side of things, before i order it......

for those of you still looking, there's a shop in ballinasloe- Duane Bridal, all i can say is out of the 7 shops i went to, that shop was the most informative, and realistic, explained why a dress would or wouldnt - just thought she was the most honest and worth the trip....

best of luck hunting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

I bought my dress at Marian Gale's shop in Donnybrook - it's absolutely stunning and the service was second to none, would highly recommend her :)

:) hey,

so i'm near the end of my dress shopping hunting, went to a few places in dublin and then galway (mother and mother inlaw day)

All i can say is if you dont get a good vibe from them and dont have to listen to "oh how beautiful you look" when you try on every dress, then give them a chance....

From visiting about 7 shops, the most informatiive for me was Duane Bridal in Ballinasloe......explained why the dress suited or didnt suit you, and what would suit your shape....if only she had the dress i wanted

I'm going back to Baldoyle Bridal this weekend, to show BM's my choosen dress and then will negotiate with them on price, not expecting to get much off, but did get price of 300 less from another shop so worth mentioning the price difference, fingers crossed

best of luck with the hunting ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Been dress shopping myself of late and wouldnt mind sharing my experiences.

Butterfly Bride
    : Laid back atmosphere, no pushy sale, the lady (owner?) seemed to know her stuff. I didnt find much to my liking but ruled some stuff out! Was the first shop so didnt know what to expect!

Moreland Bridal: Very different experience to that of BFB there are two other B"B trying on at the same time as you so it can be a bit distracting, got to choose 5 dresses but the woman I had was so so lovely and as we ruled out different things by trying on each dress she knew what I was looking for and I probably ended up trying on ten by the end of it :o Lovely selection of dresses and a fantatsic sale section. However my BM was with me and is also a B2B and she had a very scatty and disinterested assistant so to echo another posters sentiment it's never so much the store as the assistant you get on the day.

Anabel Rose: Lovely shop, all to yourself for your appointment, the girl who dealt with us was knoweladgeable and friendly and in no way pushy. Five choices and I found a "top three" and I think the ONE could be one of them so will probably be going back for a second visit.

DeStafford: Decent enough selction to choose from. I ended up icking out stuff I wouldnt normally have and it was fun, also because I had a great assistant, very friendly and very engaging with me and knew what I was looking for, gave honest advice and worked within my budget. Gave me a brilliant quote for a contender for the ONE I felt I had found earlier. Kathy herself was in the shop at the time and was also friendly to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Beffy

I must have tried 40 dresses on at this stage. Unfortunetly being tall etc a lot of styles suit me. I can't pick one. I keep getting told i'll know, or I won't want to take it off etc :rolleyes: i'm not enjoying the dress hunting process, anyways here are a few of the shops i've been to...

Ivory rose bridal - Cork - Very helpful, prices are very reasonable. Will be going back to try some dresses on again.

Say I do - Cork - Very professional, little bit stuffy. Friendly though.

DeStaffords - Howth - Very friendly, patient.

Baldoyle bridal outlet - Not a good experience at all. The woman was very abrupt. Dresses weren't great. Also the BM dresses were all very debs like.

The Courtyard - Kinsealy, Swords - Extremely friendly. Probably the best so far. The assistant was actively picking dresses she thought would suit me rather than just letting me pick ones. Very laid back etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Beffy wrote: »
    Baldoyle bridal outlet - Not a good experience at all. The woman was very abrupt. Dresses weren't great. Also the BM dresses were all very debs like.

Funny how much people's experiences differ, I thought that place was great, woman was very helpful, found my dress there, and two girls who were in before me picked their dresses too!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Beffy

Acoshla wrote: »
    Funny how much people's experiences differ, I thought that place was great, woman was very helpful, found my dress there, and two girls who were in before me picked their dresses too!

Maybe we got her at a bad time. We arrived at about 12.30, while I was trying on a dress I asked did they closed for lunch. The woman very smartly said no and shot my BM a look. She didn't give any feedback aside from the first one I tried on..."i'll save you some time, thats not your dress" (I was standing in it for about 1 minute). She kept calling me the wrong name (probably my fault I didn't correct her).

Halfway through another woman came in to try on a dress that had been fitted, the assistant that dealt with her seemed very nice, she chatted to me for a bit.

I went to a few in Galway last year, here's what I remember...

Marians on Eglinton St: The lady was friendly but rather old-fashioned (probably just cos I got an older, more mature assistant)... She was helpful and let me pick out a few styles I liked and then suggested something similar. She did make a few traditional comments though about veils and shoes, the one about the shoes was something like, no one is supposed to see your shoes, so it doesn't matter what they look like! I was a bit baffled, as I'd love fantastic shoes for the day. The prices were definitely in the lower scale compared to other bridal shops, but I didn't really like anything there very much either. They had closing down signs for a while afterwards but they still seem to be open now.

Tracy Bridal in Bohermore: The prices were in the higher bracket. The girl that helped me was very nice, but everything I tried on was "amazing", so got no real feedback. I also had to go through the dozens of dresses alone to pick out ones I wanted to try and I'd forgotten where they were by the time I got to the end of the rail. It's very open and not very private. I was trying on gowns while there were people walking in and looking at debs and bridesmaids dresses behind me. I'd have loved some privacy. My sis-in-law told me after that one of her friends got her dress there, it was supposed to have been made for her, but for some reason had someone's make-up stains on the inside - not very professional of them! So I was a bit put off overall, even though I quite liked 2 of their dresses.

Belladonna Bridal in Lisbaun: They were also in the more expensive category. They had a good selection of dresses and I found 3 that I liked. Tina was the lady I dealt with. She was really helpful and let me try on the same set of dresses several times. They used special large sponges stuffed down the back of the dress to fill out a larger size, so it gives a very good idea of the look without using pins! It was very private, as they use a separate room as a dressing room. There was one other bride in another section of that room, so there were no random people walking in. I suggested a few mods to the dress, they accepted them and I got a huge discount for leaving out the lace layer (not my thing). So got mine there in the end. Really happy with the service.

There was another but I can't remember where.

Ordered bridesmaid's dress in Wedding World on Mary St. They were a good price, so I was happy.
    Went to Mozarina Bridal in Claregalway to check the prices for the same dress and it was like 60 euro more expensive than in Wedding World. The assistant there was also dismissive towards me, maybe cos I was wearing jeans and came alone, but I don't see how that's an excuse.

I had the worst experience in Belladonna, left after 20 minutes compared to the hour and a half I spent in Tracy Bridal. I hated that they come into the dressing room with you in Belladonna, I am a grown up, I can put on my own clothes thank you. Hated it, never again. I actually like shops that have other people around, like Tracy Bridal, The Bridal Outlet, etc, I hate being the only one for them to offer fake compliments to. Although I found the women in Tracy and Bridal Outlet to be very honest and say "Yep that's awful on you" or "That's really fab", instead of smiling inanely and saying everything was beautiful, when it clearly wasn't.

Mozarina have some great bargains!

Sorry your experience in Belladonna wasn't good. We probably got different staff attending to us.
    I guess it's also a difference in expectations. I wanted something private where I knew one of my guests/friends wasn't gonna accidentally walk in on me trying on my wedding dress.

• Advertisement

Gatica wrote: »
    Sorry your experience in Belladonna wasn't good. We probably got different staff attending to us.
    I guess it's also a difference in expectations. I wanted something private where I knew one of my guests/friends wasn't gonna accidentally walk in on me trying on my wedding dress.

Ah, that wouldn't even have occurred to me, probably because I was shopping in places that I'm not from so chances of meeting anyone were slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

HI!
    Im just starting out on the hunt for "THE" dress and went to Bridal outlet in Baldoyle last Saturday.I have to say I had a lovely experience there!We were met by a lovely lady when we went in,I was with my mam and sister.She explained the whole process to me and then gave me a while to have a look around.Then another lady,Paula, came over and said she would be helping me out.With that she whisked me into a fitting room and told my mam and sister to have a seat on one of the couches.She brought in the first dress I had chosen to try on and helped me into it and then brought me back out to show my mam and sister.Now this being the first dress I had tried on my mam got extremely emotional and the tears were flowing.The lady then turns to me and whispers "im jusy going to pop outside for a second because if I dont ill be joining your mam!".:oI have to say this woman was soooooo nice and really helpful she gave me some great advice and I found all of the other staff there to be very friendly.

There was another bride there who came in just after me and she was trying on dresses as well and we had great fun with her and her sister.

I guess it just seems to be who you meet on the day but we had a lovely time there and I think Ive found my dress,the first one I tried on!:D

Im going this saturday to White Orchid in Swords and the Bridal Boutique in Fairview so I'll post how I get on in there too;)

Good luck to everyone on the hunt,remember to relax and enjoy it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I got mine in White Orchid. The girls working there are lovely. It's a tiny little shop compared to others I had been. But I found it better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Got married last year, here's my reviews:

Bridal Outlet-best range, price and service by a country mile. Got my dress here and loved having other brides and mums around for the banter when trying on dresses. Would recommend 100%.

The Town Bride-good range and good service but not a lot in my price range. Just didn't have anything suitable for me but had a good experience.

Ciara Bridal-would not recommend. Got my shoes here but overall poor service and selection.

DeStafford Wicklow Street-ok service but didn't listen to my budget and was pushing for me to spend over what I had told them. Wasn't impressed with this.

Moreland Bridal-would not recommend. Very pushy approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

So I took the plunge today and have ordered my dress! After going to white orchid and the bridal boutique fairview I didn't find anythin that came close to one particular ders that I had tried on in the bridal outlet. So I went back this morning with my mam,tried on the dress again just to be sure and was delighted that it felt just as amazing as it had the first day I tired it on. So happy to have it all sorted out and u can now relax knowing its done!

Anyway just to let ye know about my experiences in the other shops...
    White Orchid- The girl who was helping me was friendly enough and asked all the usual questions about when and where my wedding was but I did get the feeling she really wasn't bothered and she was just going through the motions so to speak. I tired on about 5 dresses but nothing really jumped out at me. Mysel and my mam and sister were the only ones in the store at the time but I just found it awkward to be honest.
    The bridal boutique fairview- I had a lovely lovely time here and actually spent about 2 hrs trying on loads of different dresses. The girls there could not have been nicer and really went out of their way suggesting different styles and givin their opinions. They had loads of dresses but just didn't have "the" dress for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement