Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ennio Morricone @ Kilmainham, July 28th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

Thanks for the comments.
    I had a ticket for the show (been a fan for over 20 years), but couldn't make it as I'm abroad so someone else took my place.
    Suppose I never will get a chance to see him live now.
    Glad it went well.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Went Saturday night and had mixed feelings. The sound was great where we were down in the seats in the last block just in front of all the food and drink stalls. What almost ruined it for me were people constantly walking up and down the aisles, and this wasn't just going to the bathroom. It wasn't a rock concert; why couldn't folk just sit still for 90 minutes, is it too much to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Was there last night and the show was amazing.
    I would have loved some tunes from the untouchables as I love that soundtrack but you can't suit everyone.

There were a lot of petty arguements last night when I was there, people asking other people to move their umberella's (which I thought were'nt allowed at all so didnt bring one). People wiping their seats whilst the movie was on and were asked to move etc.

The hike to the toiliet was a bit much so thank god I only went once.

It was an ideal location for the concert and one I will remember forever.

Deborah's theme and the ecstasy of gold were worth the entrance fee alone.

The orchestra were amazing and once the choir got going they sounded great.

All in all an experience of a lifetime and worth getting soaked to the skin for :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Concert was amazing, gbtu was the highlight for me.

Didn't like the venue, was about as far from intimate as you can get unless that meant sitting closer than a Ryanair flight. Overpriced food and drink topped it off as well as the chaos trying to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Thanks for the comments.
    I had a ticket for the show ... Suppose I never will get a chance to see him live now.

Beg, borrow or steal the necessary to get yourself to Verona, Italy to see them in a Roman amphitheatre (http://www.eventiverona.it/) There are still tickets for €80 and €46 left ...

• Advertisement

Borderfox wrote: »
    Didn't like the venue, was about as far from intimate as you can get unless that meant sitting closer than a Ryanair flight.

I can understand how people could be awed by this show, but having seen Morricone in Belfast 5 years ago, the Dublin concert was a major anti-climax.

10,000 people does not an intimate venue make, and the large minority of people who arrived late and just kept walking around was annoying. The seating was terrible - rusty folding chairs, cable tied together and jammed into tiny rows was bad but the terrible sight lines ruined it. If I wanted to watch a video screen and amplified music, I would have saved €250 and watched the DVD.
    (Belfast was 2000 people in an acoustic auditorium, raked seating, no video screens, minimal amplification and doors that were closed before the show started. Still plenty of drink and craic).
    I enjoyed the music this time but it would have been so much better if staged in The Point. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

I thought the concert was magnificent. I was familiar with about half the pieces played. The ones I did not know were brilliant and I intend to get the recordings asap.

Were the concerts recorded for broadcast? Would love to get recordings

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

argentum wrote: »
    Have to say that to me i left a little bit disappointed with the choice of music played.I know its not a greatest hits tour even though the posters listed a lot of music that just wasn't played.Gabriels oboe was just thrown in without even a pause for a round of applause.But for me, for him to play two pieces to finish the night that had already been played was unforgiveable.If he's managed to write the score for over 500 movies/tv shows the least he could do is not repeat 2 songs in less than 20 minutes.I could live with him walking off all the time at the end only to turn around and come back on but not the repeats.
    I'm going again tomorrow hopefully he plays a different set like Bruce :D

I agree.
    Whilst the set he played was magnificent, I think he has a big enough back catalogue to allow him do a few different numbers for an encore.
    Call me sentimental, but I would have loved to have heard Chi mai and he has other tracks that could have utilised the choir without reverting to stuff he has already played.

As some others have said the constant rattle of peoples footsteps (espeically heels) on the plastic matting as they were off to the toilets or for drink was irratating and if you were sitting up near the left you got the sound of the generators during times when the sound was low.

It was a pleasure to have witnessed and listened to a living legend, but it could have been even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

Mec-a-nic wrote: »
    I can understand how people could be awed by this show, but having seen Morricone in Belfast 5 years ago, the Dublin concert was a major anti-climax.

10,000 people does not an intimate venue make, and the large minority of people who arrived late and just kept walking around was annoying. The seating was terrible - rusty folding chairs, cable tied together and jammed into tiny rows was bad but the terrible sight lines ruined it. If I wanted to watch a video screen and amplified music, I would have saved €250 and watched the DVD.
    (Belfast was 2000 people in an acoustic auditorium, raked seating, no video screens, minimal amplification and doors that were closed before the show started. Still plenty of drink and craic).
    I enjoyed the music this time but it would have been so much better if staged in The Point. :(
    I wasn't at the Belfast gig, but, having seen Jools Holland play there, I can understand what you're saying, and I agree with you about all the rest.

Of course I enjoyed the music, and even really enjoyed the outdoor screening of Cinema Paradiso (one of my Top 5) but I was in the cheaper seats at the back, and, although it's not necessary to see everything, I walked up to the sound desk, and the sound and view were fantastic. We ended up standing there for the last piece and I was only sorry I didn't do it earlier.

In fact, I could easily have stood for the whole lot ('twas less than 1:45), if there had been a standing area (like what they have in the proms in London).

I could imagine that the Point, the Grand Canal or the Waterfront Hall would have been better venues alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

I thought he was brilliant, I've loved his music for years and it was amazing to see it come to life on the stage. I only wish he'd done Gabriels Oboe as one of the encores as it was over too quick when he played it the first time.

The venue I thought looked nice but the seating was very close together and quite uncomfortable although having said that I'd have sat for as many hours as he would have played!! The only thing that annoyed me as others have said was the constant procession to the bar and toilets. I though it was very rude and annoying for people to have to keep standing up to let people in/out of their seats.

I'm seriously contemplating booking tickets to Verona, just think I have to see him again as once just isn't enough. I've seen footage of that venue in Verona and it looks great.

• Advertisement

Can someone tell me what the last couple of tunes were please and what time it ended?

We left at 10 to get home so missed the last few songs.
    Thanks.

I'm seriously contemplating booking tickets to Verona, just think I have to see him again as once just isn't enough. I've seen footage of that venue in Verona and it looks great.

Go for it - Verona could be an amazing gig, but for different reasons. It will still be a huge crowd with risks of thunderstorms, but:-
    it's a 2000 year old arena, with a very vocal home crowd,
    the cheap seats are tiered so great sight lines (as long as you queue early and race to the good spots), and
    the acoustics are great (here's an example of an unamplified tenor and orchestra at twice the distance Morricone will play).

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

I was at the Saturday show and it was my first time at a concert in Kilmainham. I have to say I agree with the comments about the unsuitability of an outdoor venue such as this for an orchestral concert. I have been to Slane and other festivals and you expect to see people wandering around during the performances with pints in their hands. At a concert like this, though, it's a bit off-putting to have so many people around you seemingly uninterested in the music.

I don't know what the solution is though. There is no indoor venue in the country big enough to make money for the promoters or the performers in a concert like this. So if we have to see legends like Morricone in a field then I suppose there are worse places than Kilmainham.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭argentum

I was at the Saturday show and it was my first time at a concert in Kilmainham. I have to say I agree with the comments about the unsuitability of an outdoor venue such as this for an orchestral concert. I have been to Slane and other festivals and you expect to see people wandering around during the performances with pints in their hands. At a concert like this, though, it's a bit off-putting to have so many people around you seemingly uninterested in the music.

I don't know what the solution is though. There is no indoor venue in the country big enough to make money for the promoters or the performers in a concert like this. So if we have to see legends like Morricone in a field then I suppose there are worse places than Kilmainham.

There's a small building down in the docks called The O2 that everyone could have fitted into no problem.If he played Belfast 5 years ago to 2000 people and everyone made money then that was the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mrblondecutsear

Absolutely loved it and have been wanting to Ennio Morricone for years. No complaints myself from where I was sitting other than the two people sitting infront of me that took about 6 million photos and videos of the show with their iPhones that's a pet hate of mine. Other than that great set, great sound but I suppose I would've liked the seats to have a little bit more leg room

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

argentum wrote: »
    There's a small building down in the docks called The O2 that everyone could have fitted into no problem.If he played Belfast 5 years ago to 2000 people and everyone made money then that was the solution.

You're right about the O2 and I would prefer to have seen Morricone there. I don't understand the economics of concert promotion but maybe Kilmainham was a lot cheaper to hire.

I paid 16 euro for my ticket to see John Barry in the National Concert Hall a few years ago. That seats about 1,400 so it can't have been a commercial proposition. Admittedly Barry only conducted about four numbers before handing over to someone else and the orchestra was made up of local musicians. Still, it was very little to see such a legend perform.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

maybe Kilmainham was a lot cheaper to hire.
    I suspect that's it. There were almost 200 people on stage and they all have to get paid and then security, insurance etc. so hosting it in the O2 would have increased the ticket price I'd imagine. To what - 200 per ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Live Nation own the O2. i'd imagine that since they're heavily linked with MCD, the fees to rent it for POD or Aiken are quite high, hence why POD/Aiken concerts are generally not there if possible. i presume this is why someone like Bruce Springsteen, who has ties with Aiken down through the years, has been in the (awful) RDS previously, and is now on a tour around the country (as another lot of gigs in the RDs would be overkill)....

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Can someone tell me what the last couple of tunes were please and what time it ended?
    Ended 10.15pm.

Can't remember the exact order but if you mean the last two choral pieces from the Encores they were:

Abbolison (from Queimada aka Burn)
    Here's to You (from Sacco e Vanzetti)

ah great, thanks.
    We didnt miss anything really so..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Feeded

Pdoghue wrote: »
    Went Saturday night and had mixed feelings. The sound was great where we were down in the seats in the last block just in front of all the food and drink stalls. What almost ruined it for me were people constantly walking up and down the aisles, and this wasn't just going to the bathroom. It wasn't a rock concert; why couldn't folk just sit still for 90 minutes, is it too much to ask?

Totally agree...at one point I saw a fella rush back to his seat with two pints and his iPhone out in front of him recording Gabriel's Oboe...a bloody waste of a ticket!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lc180

Going to see Blur at the Royal Kilmainham on Thursday, just wondering was there plastic sheeting on the ground?

Need to know if i will be breaking out the wellies....

lc180 wrote: »
    Going to see Blur at the Royal Kilmainham on Thursday, just wondering was there plastic sheeting on the ground?

There was stiff plastic under the seats, but in the food/drink areas there was grass (mud), bark chips (meh), cones and tape (around the really big puddles on paths) and you had to get through all that before the seats.

If the rain keeps up, don't dress like the Morricone crowd (white jeans, high heels, designer jewellery under crappy plastic ponchos...:rolleyes: ) bring the wellies...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lc180

If the rain keeps up, don't dress like the Morricone crowd (white jeans, high heels, designer jewellery under crappy plastic ponchos...:rolleyes: ) bring the wellies...

Ah damn thats the look i usually go for....

Cheers for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kamituco

Can someone please identify the complete setlist (in sequence) for last night's concert (or Saturday's), especially in relating to the several en cores.

This is the setlist for both nights as per the booklet:

Dublin28_July.png

But as 'Mebuntu' has pointed out there were some additional pieces performed including:

Abbolisson (from Queimada aka Burn)

Looking for a comprehensive list in sequence please....:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I wouldn't know Abbolisson, but if that was the first encore song then it went like this:

Abbolisson (from Queimada aka Burn)
    Ecstasy of Gold (repeat)
    On Earth As It Is In Heaven (repeat)

Loved Here's To You, always wanted to hear that sung by a choir that size. Perhaps could have built up the vocals a tad slower, but amazing nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Ennio Morricone, the orchestra, and the choir were magnificent. Fantastic to hear music I've always loved come to life. The Ecstasy Of Gold was one of many highlights, gave me goosebumps. I felt like I was floating on air walking back in to town.
    I was up front and central in a seat next to the aisle (yowza!). The clattering of peoples shoes walking up and down the aisle was a bit of an annoyance, as were the two girls beside me who occasionally chatted, breaking the spell of the music from time to time. But overall, I thought it was a brilliant concert.
    The rain stopped right as it started, phew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

You've confirmed my own reasoning for not going to this concert. I saw one of his concerts on SkY Arts and it was an enclosed square, somewhere in Europe- looked well organised but not overly big.

When I heard the venue was Kilmainham, I decided there and then I wouldn't be buying a ticket. I just couldn't imagine the concert being "brilliant". I'm sure some folks here enjoyed it but I think I would have gone home disappointed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

In fairness the sound was about as good as it possible for an outdoor venue, could never compare to an auditorium of course but it was more than good enough and didn't detract much a very enjoyable evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

sham69 wrote: »
    We didnt miss anything really so..
    On the contrary you missed two of his most powerful and compelling compositions.

Advertisement