Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Most important issue to Sean Barrett - Economy? Emigration? Crime? No - Dress.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Canvasser wrote: »
    No it is not. The majority of Irish people do not wear suits on a daily basis. Politicians should be representative of the people. It's not a co-incidence that the politicians who dress like bankers are the ones who support giving tens of billions to the bankers.

I've heard it all now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Canvasser

Valetta wrote: »
    I've heard it all now.

Fine Gael politicians and bankers have the exact same vales system ie greed, selfishness and being pompous self-serving arses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

No it is not. The majority of Irish people do not wear suits on a daily basis
    What has that to do with anything if it was even true to the point of how to dress respectfully? To be representitive, one has to dress as?? Bizarre and chippy stuff.
    I think you'll find that its not only bankers and Fine Gaelers who wear suits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Fine Gael politicians and bankers have the exact same vales system ie greed, selfishness and being pompous self-serving arses.

But what has that got to do with the clothes they wear?

My opinion is that they should dress as befitting a national parliment. If you think jeans and T-shirt is appropriate then fair enough, but you haven't said so as yet.

What they do and say in the Dail is completely separate.

Valetta wrote: »
    But what has that got to do with the clothes they wear?

My opinion is that they should dress as befitting a national parliment. If you think jeans and T-shirt is appropriate then fair enough, but you haven't said so as yet.

What they do and say in the Dail is completely separate.

If they get elected wearing those clothes then they can represent people in the Dáil wearing those clothes. It's called democracy. Fine Gael just want to make everyone dress like a corporate drone.

• Advertisement

If they get elected wearing those clothes then they can represent people in the Dáil wearing those clothes. It's called democracy
    Rubbish.
    Its called Parliament and you respect the house when you conduct parliamentary business within its chambers.

Anyway what right does this eejit have to tell others what to wear? The woman is a holy show.

http://cdn.independent.ie/multimedia/dynamic/01046/Michelle-Mulherin1_1046864t.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

So as the OP suggests, all he is interested in is a dress code? He got voted in on that?
    Just another; 'Anyone not FFail or Fine Gael is a crazy looney' thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

We expect the members of the house to be professional in their duties. The way they present themselves is part of this.

Mick Wallace is a disgrace in every aspect of his appearance and private business dealings.

Ming I actually have a lot of time for but the Cookie Monster T-Shirt was disgraceful.

I work in IT and it's smart casual. If someone turned up in a cookie monster t-shirt their manager would send them home. That's life. They should grow up and get on with the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

JustinDee wrote: »
    Rubbish.
    Its called Parliament and you respect the house when you conduct parliamentary business within its chambers.

You respect a parliament through your actions. Superficial sh!te like what clothes you wear has absolutely no impact whatsoever on your performance. They're in there to implement the policies we voted for, they can do that in the nude for all I care, the only thing that matters is that they do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

You respect a parliament through your actions. Superficial sh!te like what clothes you wear has absolutely no impact whatsoever on your performance. They're in there to implement the policies we voted for, they can do that in the nude for all I care, the only thing that matters is that they do it.

Nobody is suggesting or pretending it will affect performance. It is not about performance, it is about decorum and respect. Wearing a suit at a funeral doesn't make you mourn harder either so should you show up dressed as Batman? They are in there to implement policies and also represent the country on the international stage. You can have your politician in the nude all to yourself down the local constituency office if you wish.

And choosing/wearing/putting on clothes is an action.

And trying to paint this issue of the CC's as if its deemed to be 'more important' than other policy/economic issues is hogwash. It is an issue of far less importance but one within his remit to deal with.

We expect the members of the house to be professional in their duties. The way they present themselves is part of this.

Mick Wallace is a disgrace in every aspect of his appearance and private business dealings.

Ming I actually have a lot of time for but the Cookie Monster T-Shirt was disgraceful.

I work in IT and it's smart casual. If someone turned up in a cookie monster t-shirt their manager would send them home. That's life. They should grow up and get on with the job.

Your IT manager doesn't decide what TDs can or can't wear. The boss of TDs are their constituents and if their constituents are happy with how they dress then it doesn't matter what you wear to your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

Your IT manager doesn't decide what TDs can or can't wear. The boss of TDs are their constituents and if their constituents are happy with how they dress then it doesn't matter what you wear to your job.

It is nothing to do with what your boss decides - and we are not the bosses of the TDs. It is about the workplace, it is about the position and what it represents.

It is nothing to do with what your boss decides - and we are not the bosses of the TDs. It is about the workplace, it is about the position and what it represents.

And what does it represent? Corruption? Gombeenism? Bailing out banks? Screwing the Irish people over?

And what does it represent? Corruption? Gombeenism? Bailing out banks? Screwing the Irish people over?
    It represents the institution and respect for that institution. Not the personalities or some ill-informed and childish petulance where Paddy refuses to conform just for the hell of it in an effort to reap kudos from his or her target support.
    Its the f***ing national parliament. Not a pub get-together at a 'clinic' where a privately educated TD keeps shouts over others about ... groan ... equality in education or a tax evader/pension thief who gives out about the very bankers who he was only happy to use in his climb up the ladder.
    If you want to vote for some f**kwit from the country in board shorts and a t-shirt then that's your problem. Expecting them to carry any weight in the building is pie-in-the-sky fantasy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

MOD NOTE:

I've had to delete a few posts that were little more than sniping and personal digs. Please keep it civil and play the ball, not the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It represents the institution and respect for that institution. ........

For that to happen, it would have to be associated with that kind of behaviour. It isn't.

Nodin wrote: »
    For that to happen, it would have to be associated with that kind of behaviour. It isn't.
    It precedes and supercedes any politician within its walls. Association doesn't come into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

The words "communist" and "fascist" are banned? What if someone were to start up a communist or fascist party? What then? :)

Also, as far as the dress code is concerned, as others have alluded it's probably a reaction to the recent left wing hippy TDs. I always thought Irish politicians were badly dressed though. You see them with their UK or European counterparts and they look scruffy. The ill fitting suits from Penney's were always a bit of an embarrassment.

It precedes and supercedes any politician within its walls. Association doesn't come into this.

You stated
    It represents the institution and respect for that institution

The institution represents the people by the way, not all of whom care to associate morals with a particular choice in haberdashery.

• Advertisement

The institution represents the people by the way, not all of whom care to associate morals with a particular choice in haberdashery.
    You can knock on the head the patronising 'reminder' of whom is represented.

There's an obvious disdain for any form of respect of the institution itself if the protagonists attend in f***ing tee-shirts and board shorts. Says more about the particular TDs in question than it does about anything else. Show up to a court appearance, job interview, wedding or funeral in same, then expect the same sort of criticism.

As said, the respect required of its members precedes any of their rhetoric or actions. It isn't Grange Hill. It is a parliament chamber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Also, you have to frown at some of the 'damaging' words that are currently banned from the chamber.

The existing list of forbidden words includes: brat, buffoon, chancer, communist, corner boy, coward, fascist, gurrier, guttersnipe, hypocrite, rat, scumbag, scurrilous and yahoo.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/0103/1224309737479.html

Ironic that most of the words listed as banned above would be most regularly used to describe those forbidden to use them!

You can knock on the head the patronising 'reminder' of whom is represented.

There's an obvious disdain for any form of respect of the institution itself if the protagonists attend in f***ing tee-shirts and board shorts.......

Only if you subscribe to a certain world-view, where theres a need for some form of ceremonial outfit. It strikes me as some form of primitivism to need to copperfasten an outer garment to a supposed inner set of values, as if the two couldn't be disassociated.

Only if you subscribe to a certain world-view, where theres a need for some form of ceremonial outfit
    No, not if you subscribe to any point of view. The smart dress is expected of all attendees. That's why only the likes of the novelty hypocritical populists (a bog-trotter, a privately-educated hypocrite and shaggy tax-cheat/pension thief) wear what they wear in some form of childish protest.
    It strikes me as some form of primitivism to need to copperfasten an outer garment to a supposed inner set of values, as if the two couldn't be disassociated.
    That viewpoint certainly isn't my problem. Doesn't take much to present yourself smartly. Actually quite easy.
    Fire away and wear the boardies in the meantime for a laugh because that's all you'd get.

No, not if you subscribe to any point of view. The smart dress is expected of all attendees. That's why only the likes of the novelty hypocritical populists (a bog-trotter, a privately-educated hypocrite and shaggy tax-cheat/pension thief) wear what they wear in some form of childish protest. .

....dear me, you're worked up. Whats a "bog-trotter"?
    That viewpoint certainly isn't my problem. ..... .

It rather explicitly is, as stated here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81086435&postcount=76
    and here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81145375&postcount=82

....dear me, you're worked up. Whats a "bog-trotter"?
    Not worked up at all. Posting on a phone by a pool while on holidays in fact. I'm not going to answer your rhetorical question on the derogatory term I chose either.

That "explicitly" states that it isn't my problem. This, as you know, is only an internet forum and I'm just having a yap on the subject in question.
    All very easy really.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,589 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Its utterly pathetic that they cannot respect the establishment that they are in fact part of.
    If one goes to a funeral or attends court, they should dress accordingly. Not dressed like some kindergarten teacher on a day off. Same should apply for politicians in government buildings. Not some childish and snotty protest against a conventional dress-code.

But this is society's whole problem. Standards are no longer considered important. Manners and style are almost frowned upon.

Not worked up at all. Posting on a phone by a pool while on holidays in fact. I'm not going to answer your rhetorical question on the derogatory term I chose either. .

No? So I'll assume that you presume that being a country person is somehow a shameful status to born into then.
    That "explicitly" states that it isn't my problem. This, as you know, is only an internet forum and I'm just having a yap on the subject in question.
    All very easy really.

You are, to cut to the chase, saying that the clothes make the man, and indeed reflect his inner notions or values. So yes, it is your "viewpoint".

No. I disagree with the TD in question in his views about the bogs preservation and in particular, his motives. I couldn't give two stuffs if he was from a city or a ..

Then why do you feel the need to refer to him as a "bog trotter"?
    Oh ffs. Are you bored or something??
    I dress accordingly regardless of how I view the institution, be that a civic office, job interview, team dinner, church, synagogue, mosque, or parliament building. I do this because it is expected of me.
    If I want to be an obstinate c**k or try and win some popularity contest with fellow contrarians or polemicists, I'll do the opposite.

And you expect all others to follow this set of values that supposedly states 'as without, so within'.

• Advertisement

No? So I'll assume that you presume that being a country person is somehow a shameful status to born into then
    No. I disagree with the TD in question in his views about the bogs preservation and in particular, his motives. I couldn't give two stuffs if he was from a city or rural Ireland.
    You are, to cut to the chase, saying that the clothes make the man, and indeed reflect his inner notions or values. So yes, it is your "viewpoint".
    Oh ffs. Are you bored or something??
    I dress accordingly regardless of how I view the institution, be that a civic office, job interview, team dinner, church, synagogue, mosque, or parliament building. I do this because it is expected of me.
    If I want to be an obstinate c**k or try and win some popularity contest with fellow contrarians or polemicists, I'll do the opposite.

Advertisement