Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government to reverse some Public Secor Pay cuts

Options
  • 09-08-2014 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭

Labour party minister Brendan Howlin announces that some of the Public Sector pay cuts implemented over the past number of years will be reversed. No details of which ones or when exactly this will happen.
    Minister for Public Expenditure Brendan Howlin has said some pay and pension cuts in the public sector will be reversed as exchequer finances improve.

Mr Howlin said talks with unions will begin next year, but it is not clear when exactly such measures might come in.

Public sector union IMPACT has welcomed the comments saying pay must move as the economy recovers.

Is there really any merit for this at a time when the budget is still being adjusted to try and make expenditure match income?

Is this a political stunt by the Labour party in the runup to the 2016 general election to match Michael Noonan's talks about cutting income tax?

link

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Happy days, now just to reinstate the sick leave scheme and we're back in the good aul days.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

20 months to the next general election the buying begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 serenity10

Not a minute too soon: CPSU carrying this country on its back....

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

article actually says govt will enter talks to see if they will reverse pay cuts and if they do it will be over a period of time. Its pre election spoof. So ye can rest easy . No need to ring Joe Duffy yet about those dasterdly guards, nurses, teachers......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Ridiculous, utterly ridiculous. We've managed to bankrupt the country with our overspending, and Labour can't wait to get back to increasing wasteful government spending. The health service is barely functioning, and instead of saying that any extra revenue will go towards increased services instead it's going to be diverted into the pockets of the public service workers. Is there any politician in FG who will stand up to them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

hmmm wrote: »
    Ridiculous, utterly ridiculous. We've managed to bankrupt the country with our overspending, and Labour can't wait to get back to increasing wasteful government spending. The health service is barely functioning, and instead of saying that any extra revenue will go towards increased services instead it's going to be diverted into the pockets of the public service workers. Is there any politician in FG who will stand up to them?

It is incredible anyone can consider FG a centre right party. On the largest FG vote ever we still have one of the highest paid public sectors in the world with pretty poor productivity.

The reality here is that the public sector, like grey power just can't be ignored. Every political party has to pander to them.
    Whereas in IT where half the people in work in it aren't even Irish and hence can't vote, there is no point pandering to give them anything. Not even a tax credit for a new laptop :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,491 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The Lord taketh away and the Lord giveth back ............. and taketh away again in taxes and charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Immature nonsense. If salaries are increasing then so will those in public services, otherwise the chaos would get worse as anyone capable left.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Can't help thinking that it would be a lot more equitable to reduce one of the multitude of taxes or charges that have been loaded on to everyone, on the basis that everyone would then benefit, instead of pandering to a specific minority, albeit a large and vocal minority.

Yet again, we see the 5 year mind set political thinking coming to the fore. Forget the good of the country, make sure that I can get re-elected in a short while.

It would be so nice to see some politicians that are thinking beyond the next election, who care about what's happening to Ireland Inc over the next 20 years. Can't see it happening any time soon, so we're going to be stuck with the same old garbage all over again.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Taxing public sector workers at 62.5% on everything earned above 32,800 means that any pay rise is clawed back by almost two thirds. Add to that the pension contributions that PS workers must pay into and it's probably closer to 70%. The remaining 30% will get spent by the worker which is subject to VAT and other taxes in some cases.

What is happening here is that Labour/FG have followed their traditional tact of tax, tax, tax. Labour, realising that they haven't a hope of getting re-elected are trying to get as many votes as possible so that some of their TD's will get elected. That's about as much as they have going for them.

• Advertisement

Taxing public sector workers at 62.5% on everything earned above 32,800 means that any pay rise is clawed back by almost two thirds. Add to that the pension contributions that PS workers must pay into and it's probably closer to 70%. The remaining 30% will get spent by the worker which is subject to VAT and other taxes in some cases.

What is happening here is that Labour/FG have followed their traditional tact of tax, tax, tax. Labour, realising that they haven't a hope of getting re-elected are trying to get as many votes as possible so that some of their TD's will get elected. That's about as much as they have going for them.

Where are you getting 62.5% tax from?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

No doubt the pension contribution is in there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Bit of a crazy idea, but instead of paying everybody in the public sector more, why don't they use that money to hire more people on the front line?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

PS employee here, I would rather them get rid of this stupid USC or drop taxes considerably than simply "pay back" our wages, which will be mostly taking back in taxes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

or only give the raises to those that actually deserve one...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

PAYE 41%
    USC 7%
    PRSI 4%
    Pension Levy 10.5%

Add in compulsory pension contributions of at least 3% and it's stacking up...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Bit of a non-story, since the Haddington Road cuts are due to be reversed in 2016 anyway... They'll spend nearly til then in talks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Bit of a non-story, since the Haddington Road cuts are due to be reversed in 2016 anyway... They'll spend nearly til then in talks...

Isn't 2016 an election year also?
    Labour spin docs furiously at work already...

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Big Cheese

hmmm wrote:

How is it diverted to their pockets. I work in private sector and my wife works in public. She has a good salary, probably 35% better than mine but the amount of cuts and deductions to her wages is incredible. You dont know what you are really talking about...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Bit of a crazy idea, but instead of paying everybody in the public sector more, why don't they use that money to hire more people on the front line?

Crazy idea in this country indeed :-)

Having said that, as you said this should only be for some frontline jobs and for many office ones I would personally be in favour of a well paid but lean workforce where delivering improvements and taking ownership of issues is rewarded and where all teams are expected to deliver themselves and the use of consultants/contractors is severely restricted. I think it is the best way to attract qualified and motivated people in the civil service and save costs by improving internal efficiency and reducing contracting costs in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Sleepy wrote: »
    or only give the raises to those that actually deserve one...

Exactly!

Also rather that spreading the money evenly across functions, use some of it to increase head counts for frontline jobs which are currently understaffed (from 2 experiences in the past for months, the Garda and the health services could probably use some extra hands).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Another pointless public sector rant thread with not one bit of hard evidence, current facts or reasoned argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

They can keep the pay rises if they knock that 2 hours extra work per week on the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

I'm a low paid civil servant myself, but would like to see any spare cash put into job creation myself, the unemployment rate is still way too high.

Would actually like the cash to go toward social/ affordable housing in our cities, get some of those tradesmen back to work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Big Cheese wrote: »
    How is it diverted to their pockets. I work in private sector and my wife works in public. She has a good salary, probably 35% better than mine but the amount of cuts and deductions to her wages is incredible. You dont know what you are really talking about...

How old is your wife and how long has she been working in the PS? Presuming she's in good health she'll probably see her 100th birthday and will have several decades of state-backed free money after her retirement, unless the system collapses (which it probably will.) Her current pension is worth way more than she pays for it and any logical private sector worker would give their right arm to pay those deductions for those benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Good loser

Godge wrote: »
    Another pointless public sector rant thread with not one bit of hard evidence, current facts or reasoned argument.

Did I read that there were 22,000 applications for clerical officer jobs in public service?

If so why increase the pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Good loser wrote: »
    Did I read that there were 22,000 applications for clerical officer jobs in public service?

If so why increase the pay?

Read some of the posts on this thread and you'll see: http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057233798/1

Lots of people who would be happy to take the job as a stopgap - but because of the money wouldn't stay in it long term. That's not great from the employer's perspective; the civil service wants low staff turnover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

sabat wrote: »
    ......Presuming she's in good health she'll probably see her 100th birthday and will have several decades of state-backed free money after her retirement, unless the system collapses (which it probably will.) Her current pension is worth way more than she pays for it and any logical private sector worker would give their right arm to pay those deductions for those benefits.

Go sit down sabat. You have no idea of the public sector pension scheme.
    And if the "logical private sector worker" thinks that the benefits are so good then why didn't they get a job in the public sector themselves? Inexperienced, underqualified? The list could would go on.

I wonder who'll benefit the most, the CO's who barely clear minimum wage or the 40k+ a year ones. I really don't know.

• Advertisement

PAYE 41%
    USC 7%
    PRSI 4%
    Pension Levy 10.5%

Add in compulsory pension contributions of at least 3% and it's stacking up...
    It is insane considering pension contribution as a tax. Tax you pay for other things not something you get back yourself.

That is like calling my need to buy Milk and butter a tax. I am on 99% tax rate so.

Advertisement