Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

o1s1n wrote: »
    Can't stop playing Ibara - it's crazy addictive. 'Just one more go' to the extreme!

Finally reached level 3 (level 2 boss is a bit of a bastard!). Got up to the mid level boss and took a bullet to the face.

I'm getting to level 4 regularly enough now,
    I think I have the first 3 bosses cracked.

you know about the special mode yea?
    I dont use it myself but its interesting.

I've had continues disabled since day one so I've yet to see the last 2 levels.
    some game tho!

Some good tips here
    http://www.world-of-arcades.net/Cave/Ibara/System.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

urbanledge wrote: »
    I'm getting to level 4 regularly enough now,
    I think I have the first 3 bosses cracked.

you know about the special mode yea?
    I dont use it myself but its interesting.

I've had continues disabled since day one so I've yet to see the last 2 levels.
    some game tho!

Some good tips here
    http://www.world-of-arcades.net/Cave/Ibara/System.htm

The special mode? Is that the extend mode? (hold down while pressing the start button?)

Had a few blasts of that yesterday - it's nice with the red bullets, easier to see!

Have you tried hard mode yet? The medals drop like lead weights - you'd want to be some kind of sevant to catch them.

Extended mode?
    didnt know about that.
    Please tell!

Here how to activate special mode
    http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29670

yo can do slow mo's,level select ,see your rank and some other stuff

Edit,
    just found a few more tips
    http://www.world-of-arcades.net/Cave/Ibara/Secrets.htm

Master of the Universe

Ahhhh didn't know about that! That'll really come in useful for learning the game, cheers :)

Extended mode is activated by holding down on the stick and pressing the start button.

Hard mode is activated in the same way, just press up on the stick instead.

They both have their own score tables too. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

urbanledge wrote: »
    Extended mode?
    didnt know about that.
    Please tell!

Here how to activate special mode
    http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29670

yo can do slow mo's,level select ,see your rank and some other stuff

Edit,
    just found a few more tips
    http://www.world-of-arcades.net/Cave/Ibara/Secrets.htm

Any of these goodies pop up in the PS2 version?
    It's the only one I have, not being in the PCB club :(

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I would say the PS2 version actually has more on it than the PCB. Generally console ports have loads of different modes. Be worth having a look through the options menu :)

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Any of these goodies pop up in the PS2 version?
    It's the only one I have, not being in the PCB club :(

only one way to join!
    I only have Ibara.
    I think I'll get dodonpachi next year tho

Master of the Universe

Start looking for Dodonpachi now, it's a hard one to find! People tend to not let go of it unfortunately.

If you want a cheaper Shmup fix in the meantime, pick up Raiden, Raiden 2, Raiden Fighters or some of the CPS2 shmups. They tend to clock in around or under 100.

Ah sure you got a modded GNET recently didn't ya? Plenty there to keep you busy :)

Unfortunately mine isn't modded, so I'm stuck with two games!

Havent tried any of the gnet shumps yet,
    I'll wait till im finished with Ibara or want to take a break from it but I cant see that happening anytime soon.

I was palying super puzzle bobble on the gnet last night with a friend.
    I cant find the instructions for it anywhere.
    Anybody know whats going on in the 2 player mode?
    makes no sense at all!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Start looking for Dodonpachi now, it's a hard one to find! People tend to not let go of it unfortunately.

For some reason that's seems to cost a fortune these days. Seems a relatively recent price hike too, not sure why. (Cue Casey telling us he bought it for the price of a packet of poffertjes back in 2005. :()
    If you want a cheaper Shmup fix in the meantime, pick up Raiden, Raiden 2, Raiden Fighters or some of the CPS2 shmups. They tend to clock in around or under 100.

Quality games the lot of them but the Fighters will go for more than a ton with the mobo included. I think the Jet cart alone is over a 100 too. Unless you want to get the (dodgy looking) single PCB version of it, bit cheaper maybe.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    For some reason that's seems to cost a fortune these days. Seems a relatively recent price hike too, not sure why. (Cue Casey telling us he bought it for the price of a packet of poffertjes back in 2005. :()

We really were too late to the party for games like that. I remember seeing an Armed Police Batrider sell for around 100gbp a few years back on ebay. Same with Garegga and Progear boards.

Don't get me started on some of the historical candy cab prices I've come across on my searches.

Too late to the party :(
    Quality games the lot of them but the Fighters will go for more than a ton with the mobo included. I think the Jet cart alone is over a 100 too. Unless you want to get the (dodgy looking) single PCB version of it, bit cheaper maybe.

Not sure about Jet, but I've seen Raiden Fighters sell for under a ton on ebay. (missed out on one a few weeks ago that went for 76Gbp I think it was) Worth a look out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Bit of both. I've had to settle on one or two permadeaths (Stahl too, curiously!) but some are too valuable.

Chapter 18 is by far the toughest battle I've faced so far down to those darn flying units and their uber range.

I was doing that but started over completely and not doing it now. Tharja(spelling) got killed before I could recruit and I lost Maribella on that stage this morning also.
    Stahl never grew on me, so didn't mind losing him but I'd be devastated if I lost Teach 'cause he's got tenure like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Just beat the 6th dungeon in Zelda, what an absolute cnut! Those blue magician things are complete b@stards! :mad: Never have I wanted to hop a handheld off the wall as much

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,844 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

EnterNow wrote: »
    Just beat the 6th dungeon in Zelda, what an absolute cnut! Those blue magician things are complete b@stards! :mad: Never have I wanted to hop a handheld off the wall as much

It gets worse ;)

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It gets worse ;)

Was there a map packed in with the game back yonder? Clues about the existence of items or anything? Or are you left to figure it all out yourself? How are you meant to know there's such thing as the magic sword, under a gravestone??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm heading to Rolestown cemetery later, with a shovel, gonna bag me a magic sword!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I'm heading to Rolestown cemetery later, with a shovel, gonna bag me a magic sword!

A 'magic' stinky sword I'd say is the only one you would get there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,844 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's left entirely up to the player. Burn every bush!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I'm playing the Taisen Puzzle game's by Konami on Mame.

Master of the Universe

Just spent a good hour bashing away at Soul Edge. I really loved it in the arcade when it was out - but haven't played it since.

In the meantime, I've played through loads of Soul Calibur games.

So going back to it now I was pretty worried that the rose tinted glasses would be torn off my face and stamped on with a jack boot.

What can I say - it still plays really well. Obviously a bit rough around the edges to look at like any older 3D fighter, but the controls and gameplay are still there and it's a lot of fun.

The only issue is the floaty jumping, but you get over the oddness of that quick enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Plus it has one of the best fighting game intros ever!

I have the song on my running playlist on my mp3 haha

Beat Brutal Legend. Ended up hating it. The RTS levels are awful especially towards the end when they get very frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Beat Brutal Legend. Ended up hating it. The RTS levels are awful especially towards the end when they get very frustrating.

Ah gave up on that ages ago, lovely the humor an dialog but the RTS stuff wore me down...

Master of the Universe

Brutal Legend? Is that not one of those games you can already tell is **** from the get go? :p

Just finished Legend of Zelda, thank god its done. I did end up using some guides as the item existence/placement is frankly far too obscure & random to be any way enjoyable. But thats 8bit games for ya, at least give us some semblance of a hint an item even exists in the game, before hiding it under a random tile that looks no different to any other tile! :D Gamers were gamers back then, that's for sure.

Anyway, Zelda 2 is up next. Never played the game at all, so should be, em, interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Kealy1994

Speaking of Brutal Legend.Im currently on year 3 of Grim Fandango also by Tim Schafer and Lucas arts ! :)
    Grim Fandango has many bugs but there is fan patches,its a fantasic quirky game.Im currently looking for
    the original Big box version ! :)

Grim Fandango is a much better game than Brutal Legend tho in my opinion so dont let that turn you off.Its a point and click adventure.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Played some Rayman Jungle Run on the Nexus 7 earlier, brilliant little running platformer and only 99c on Google Play at the minute. Amazing quality for a mobile game.

Anybody know if Origins is worth the 15 quid asking price on Steam?

I think the Steam Sale starts soon ;)

• Advertisement

I got it for a tenner on the Vita, and I think it's at similar prices for the other home consoles, and it is gorgeous alright.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Just finished Legend of Zelda, thank god its done. I did end up using some guides as the item existence/placement is frankly far too obscure & random to be any way enjoyable. But thats 8bit games for ya, at least give us some semblance of a hint an item even exists in the game, before hiding it under a random tile that looks no different to any other tile! :D Gamers were gamers back then, that's for sure.

Not going to try the second quest then?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Played some Rayman Jungle Run on the Nexus 7 earlier, brilliant little running platformer and only 99c on Google Play at the minute. Amazing quality for a mobile game.

Jungle Run is amazing, as is Origins. Definitely worth 15 euro (although word is the Steam sale is due shortly for massive discounts). Just be warned - it comes fully equipped with some old school platforming difficulty ;)

I liked a lot of the ideas and execution of Brutal Legend (I found it strangely satisfying exploring the open world), but it was a mess overall - the kind where you love the mechanics one session, despise them the next. Most damningly, bar the opening cutscene, it just wasn't all that funny :(

Not going to try the second quest then?

Nope, happy enough having done the normal quest. I presume the second quest is even further ramped up in difficulty ala Master Quest?

Btw, those weird tube/worm things steal your magical shield!!! No wonder I was having such a hard time against the blue wizards, I had reverted back to the normal shield without knowing!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Mudlan

Started playing Zelda OoT recently again but just bought a SNES yesterday with mario allstars and world....now to go and attempt to relive my youth!!

Master of the Universe

Mudlan wrote: »
    Started playing Zelda OoT recently again but just bought a SNES yesterday with mario allstars and world....now to go and attempt to relive my youth!!

Enjoy!

You'll soon realize that most games you played in your youth are far more enjoyable than many today.

This will then lead on to you buying more games, so many in fact that you'll begin contemplating eating tins of beans for the month :D

• Advertisement

Enjoy!

You'll soon realize that most games you played in your youth are far more enjoyable than many today.

This will then lead on to you buying more games, so many in fact that you'll begin contemplating eating tins of beans for the month :D

haha ya ill have to get used it!! What other classics are there for n64/Snes aside from the obvious marios and zeldas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

supermariokart
    supermariokart
    supermariokart
    supermariokart
    rock n' roll racing
    and supermariokart

Mudlan wrote: »
    haha ya ill have to get used it!! What other classics are there for n64/Snes aside from the obvious marios and zeldas?

I recently played through quest 64 (Holy Magic Century in Europe) and really enjoyed it, never did play it when it was released. Apart from that jet force gemini is essential, as are the other rare banjo titles & perfect dark. just the ones i've played recently all great games imo.

Ill give you some reccomendations.
    For Nintendo 64 anything RARE(Company) is good.
    So Banjoo Kazooie,Banjoo tooie.Conkers bad fur day(Very expensive game),Killer instinct.Etc

Games to play with friends are Mario Party's,Diddy Kong Racing,Mario Kart

There is also the iconic shooters
    Goldeneye and perfect Dark.

Some gems on the machine are F Zero X (Love it ) Get force Gemini.Paper mario

For Super Nintendo
    I'm not a fan of the pal snes cartridge so
    I collect them boxed or buy the US loose cartridges.
    It's a great machine for RPGs
    Earthbound ( Very expensive but amazing RPG US Import)
    Chrono Trigger
    Zelda A link to the past
    Mario RPG ( US Import )
    The Star Wars original trilogy games.
    Any game by Square Soft which is now square enix really.
    There's so many good RPGs my second favorite system.

If you have a PC I'd look into the old Sierra and Lucas arts PC exclusives.Im
    Currently playing Grim Fandango.

Ahh yes Banjo Kazooee....a solid game!!! I think I remember Conkers Bad Fur day.....sadly i had a good collection of N64 games and Snes these but sold them all to a creche when i was younger! Not my brightest move!!

Thanks for all the imput! Now just need the money to buy them and the time to play them!

• Advertisement

Los Lobos wrote: »
    supermariokart
    supermariokart
    supermariokart
    supermariokart
    rock n' roll racing
    and supermariokart

nDDB2OF.jpg

For anyone playing Retro Mario Karts :D

Playing a fair amount on my Ridge Racer cab. The advanced course with its little detour is fun, as I know the normal course backwards at this stage

And, in the arcade version, can you race it backwards?
    Mirror Mode FTW!

And, in the arcade version, can you race it backwards?
    Mirror Mode FTW!

Would it damage my 'cube is if I decided to reverse the whole way through a mirror mode lap in double dash going the wrong way?

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Would it damage my 'cube is if I decided to reverse the whole way through a mirror mode lap in double dash going the wrong way?

cube doesn't have enough blast processing for that i'd say.

OwaynOTT wrote: »

The guys at Aperture Science have looked into the matter and have come to the following conclusion.
    Playing MK:DD like that will, most likely, break Spacetime, and you don't want the destruction of our solar system and our local cluster of stars in a black hole on your conscience, so best not to try it.

Sorry lads for late reply, did that there and got surprising results. It opened up a link with a parallel earth that's very like ours but with minor differences. Beyonce has a deal with coke, Larry David created friends and the Ross character is based on him, hurling is the biggest sport, apple is called banana, Retro likes Goldeneye, SteveSi owns only 1 of everything and Ciderman loves side scrolling beat em ups.
    Sega's history still went down the same way though.
    Anyway I kidnapped the doppelgänger of my dead cat Ben and brought him back to our side there. Probably won't have any effect on the future of both Earths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

So going to try that mario kart drinkin game at some point... Just need to buy two more controllers and Mario kart!! lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Retropolis

I'm playing rocket knight adventure on Megadrive. I don't know how I shrugged this game off in the past, some of Konami's best.

I'm up to the fifth area of SMT Strange Journey. What an amazing game and it's got some really excellent dungeon design. Some of the trap floors and mazes could be obnoxious but they loop around themselves and create shortcuts so it's never frustrating. Story is very interesting as well and keeps getting better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement