Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Froyo for Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Dbaby

t.henno66 wrote: »
    Don't know if this is any use but when i connect the usb to my phone there's three dull beeps coming from pc

Never got that myself....kies is really a piece of junk!!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭t.henno66

Dbaby wrote: »
    Thats really weird....is it set to go straight into kies under usb settings? Have you a task killer you can run to make sure nothings happening in the background? Really not sure what you could do now....windows should just pick up the device again and install it when you restart the pc

After a bit more messing about i finally got it sorted. Thanks for your help

No Froyo update though, hope it's here tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Dbaby

No worries...sorry for putting you there in the first place! :) Yeah me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

No one else having the "MainStage is not working " issue so?

Kies just refuses to start. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭PG4000

I'm having the same connection issue. How did you solve it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Finally got Kies up at running and updated and........your device can not be updated. Anyone on O2 been able to update through Kies yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭salutations

JustinOval wrote: »
    Careful now.

I spent €37 quid on that one night (not knowingly) when I ran over my 50meg allowance, twice, before and after midnight.
    I didn't realise it would hit 187megs in total. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the heads up. Its ok though i was on wifi. How long were u watchin to use that much just in case im ever stuck with just 3g???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Thanks for the heads up. Its ok though i was on wifi. How long were u watchin to use that much just in case im ever stuck with just 3g???

Not much, flicking about and then watched most of that program on the ghost estates, maybe 25-30 mins. Install 3g watchdog, I should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Quick question. Did the meteor bill pay customers who have been able to successfully upgrade to froyo get the "This device's version cannot be updated" message in the days before they succeeded? I'm still unclear as to whether the message is to be expected, or if it means my phone will never be updateable!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

RonnieL wrote: »
    Quick question. Did the meteor bill pay customers who have been able to successfully upgrade to froyo get the "This device's version cannot be updated" message in the days before they succeeded? I'm still unclear as to whether the message is to be expected, or if it means my phone will never be updateable!

I updated yesterday and the last time I checked was maybe a week earlier. I think it said something like what you quoted, but I'm not 100% certain. Very strange that you can't update. I've attached images of what version of Kies and firmware i have. What versions are you running?

• Advertisement

I updated yesterday and the last time I checked was maybe a week earlier. I think it said something like what you quoted, but I'm not 100% certain. Very strange that you can't update. I've attached images of what version of Kies and firmware i have. What versions are you running?

Laptop is at home so I can't check the exact Kies version, but it's the latest and greatest (I use that phrase loosely). The phone version is PDA:JFB/PHONE:JF5/CSC:OXX.

Anyone else know if the message I'm seeing is to be expected until the new version is made available to me or is it a sign of a problem?

Just updated to de-branded 2.2 (JPO) with a registry hack, took a while to figure it out but working well so far. A little faster now, maybe a factory reset will help... :D
    Still no mobile view checkbox in browser settings, I don't want the mobile version of websites, anyone know how to change this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

Laptop is at home so I can't check the exact Kies version, but it's the latest and greatest (I use that phrase loosely). The phone version is PDA:JFB/PHONE:JF5/CSC:OXX.

Anyone else know if the message I'm seeing is to be expected until the new version is made available to me or is it a sign of a problem?

I'm having the saem problem as you and I have the same version. I've seen a few other people on this forum and on other forums on the same JFB/JF5 version and they cant upgrade either.
    I've emailed both vodafone and samsung asking them but vodafone dont know and samsung didnt reply!

I tried last week before it was available and it said i had the most updated firmware, which for me was 2.1 connected yesterday and it offered me 2.2. It updated flawlessly. Nothing lost either.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 robwhit

Any 3 customers get theirs yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

robwhit wrote: »
    Any 3 customers get theirs yet?

Not so far no.

I tried last week before it was available and it said i had the most updated firmware

Hey Salutations.

Do you remember the wording of the message last week? Was it "This device's version cannot be updated." or was it something else?

Cheers,

Ronan

• Registered Users Posts: 45 bigears1

it says 'This device's version cannot be updated' I am on 3 and still waiting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭meathgal2010

Only Vodafone and Meteor have been released the rest is in the coming weeks.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/19058-samsung-galaxy-s-gets-andro/

Only Vodafone and Meteor have been released the rest is in the coming weeks.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/19058-samsung-galaxy-s-gets-andro/

Im fairly sure it wasnt cannot be updated. It was along the lines of you already have the most up to date firmware. And then when 2.2 became available it said an upgrade is available for your phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

Hey Ronnie,
    i'm having the same problem as you with the same PDA:JFB/PHONE:JF5/CSC:OXX version.
    emailed vodafone a few times and they checked it out with Samsung, this is the response i got

"Hi nevermind
    We've checked with Samsung and they've informed us that there are issues with your currently version of Android 2.1 Éclair being recognised by the update server.

They've advised this should be resolved next week."

hopefully sometime next week it will be sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

well i got my galaxy updated today with kies.id say its easier to update it with win 7 than win xp.as i tried both and win 7 was very smooth and worked fine.kies detected the phone offered me an upgrade and it did its thing.froyo 2.2 was on the phone when it was finished.

im with vodafone by the way but sim only.

as for the lag.i noticed a tiny difference.nothing like the videos on u tube.its nearly the same as it was before the update.

thats my 2 cents anyway.

Nevermind_ wrote: »
    Hey Ronnie,
    i'm having the same problem as you with the same PDA:JFB/PHONE:JF5/CSC:OXX version.
    emailed vodafone a few times and they checked it out with Samsung, this is the response i got

"Hi nevermind
    We've checked with Samsung and they've informed us that there are issues with your currently version of Android 2.1 Éclair being recognised by the update server.

They've advised this should be resolved next week."

hopefully sometime next week it will be sorted

Cheers for the update. By the time they get it sorted, there's no way Froyo will be anything but an anticlimax!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭smurra3

Cheers for the update. By the time they get it sorted, there's no way Froyo will be anything but an anticlimax!

And an anticlimax it is.
    Apart from a few new features it's not much different from 2.1.
    It actually ran very bad at first but then i did a factory reset and now it's fine, but not much faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Upgraded today on meteor with no hassle off kies. Its awesome watching live tv on your phone. Excellent.

what do you use to do that?or is it part of your bill contract?

crazygeryy wrote: »
    what do you use to do that?or is it part of your bill contract?

RTE website. It was on wifi though. Apparently it eats your allowance on 3g.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

I'm with Vodafone and the message I get when I try to get the Firmware Upgrade is:

"Cannot access the model information server. Try Later"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

Edit. Nevermind finally got it.

That registry hack needs more steps now, you also need to use an old version of Kies but fool it to think it's the latest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

This method is for METEOR users stuck on 2.1 because they have an odd firmware or those that have installed custom firmware and wish to install the official meteor 2.2 update.

*Disclaimer: I take absolutely no responsiblity for this breaking kies. Remember to disable any lag fixes you have installed before attempting this. I also highly recommend a factory reset before proceeding.

1.) Unintstall Kies.
    2.) Download and install this old version Kies_1.5.3.10093_82.
    3.) Open Kies, plug in your phone & wait for it to be recognised.
    4.) Click UPGRADE. Kies will show no update available.
    5.) Click CANCEL but leave Kies open.
    6.) Run regedit. Edit the following settings.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Samsung\Kies\]
    "LocalVer"="1.5.3.10103.102"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Samsung\Kies\DeviceDB\N *]
    "SoftwareRevision"="I9000XWJM2/I9000OXXJM1/I9000XXJM1/I9000XWJM2"
    "ProductCode"="GT-I9000HKDMET"
    "HIDSWVER"="" **
    "DEVCONINFO"="" **

* N is a number from 1 to 4 in your Regedit that has the SoftwareRevision and product code entries.
    ** Make sure you delete whatever is in HIDSWVER and DEVCONINFO.

7.) Now close regedit.
    8.) Click UPGRADE again and if everything went well you should be able to upgrade to the official meteor froyo. PDA:JPA / PHONE:JPP / CSC:JP7
    9.) Proceed as instructed by Kies.

(Adapted from a guide posted by traiviet on xda-developers.com.)

Advertisement