Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tiger Woods Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Jaysus,

Reading some of these posts - I almost forgot Tiger Woods is the bloke who has won 14 majors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Russman

Jaysus,

Reading some of these posts - I almost forgot Tiger Woods is the bloke who has won 14 majors.

In fairness, I don't think anyone is disputing that. His record will never be touched as regards win percentage, number of wins etc. I mean, to win almost a hundred tournaments in the modern game is crazy.

If anything, his legacy is that we now place unfair expectations on the McIlroys of the world or other young stars as they break through. We're probably not going to see another TW ever. I'm mean if Rory stopped playing today his record is up there with some great players (bar TW). Personally I think he's light years ahead of TW in "natural ability" (whatever that is !) but I don't think he'll come anywhere near his number of regular tournament wins, possibly he'll get close in majors, who knows. He just doesn't seem to have the harsh singlemindedness TW once had, but maybe he has a better overall life.

As for the miracle shots he used to hit and the fact that we don't see the Horshels/Fowlers etc hit them nowadays, that's mostly because they drive it a lot straighter and don't have to hit those shots.

There was golf before him and there will be golf after him. I always find watching him play golf an almost uncomfortable experience, you don't know whether he's going to swear, spit, bang a club, hit it straight, get a good ruling, anything. Give me Rory and Ricky going head to head any day. But that's just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

People go on about his wins, for me it's the cut streak that's his most impressive record. After winning his first major Tiger went 9 yrs before missing a cut. Rory went 4 tournaments.

People comparing Rory to Tiger now are clueless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Tilikum wrote: »
    People go on about his wins, for me it's the cut straight that's his most impressive record. After winning his first major Tiger went 9 yrs before missing a cut. Rory went 4 tournaments.

People comparing Rory to Tiger now are clueless.

Yep, Rory is a better swing than Tiger, he's not a better player yet, nowhere near. Tiger was/is mentally the best player the game has seen, and that includes Nicklaus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Does it really matter if Rory is better or not then Tiger.

Rorys still a great player - and comparisons with Tiger won't change that imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Old diesel wrote: »

You're never going to remove from people's minds - who is the best.
    It happens in every sport.

Agree with above, Rory seems a bit more balanced - with friends and a mix of life outside of golf.

But - it is early for Rory - it is hard for anyone to get out of fame unscathed.

Old diesel wrote: »

Well it's always an interesting debate about the greats, so Rory as a potential future great will get compared to, and that's how he wants to be seen too.

Rory is more naturally talented than Tiger imo, his swing right now is also the best it's ever been in terms of tightening up some of the looser apsects, ie shortened backswing and right elbow now more infront of hip.

Tiger has always struggled with releasing the club, and his two way miss now is a result of never getting truly to grips with it. He also tries to murder the ball, while Rory looks like he hit a sand wedge when he's hitting the Driver after impact.

If Rory had Tigers mentality transplanted, he'd be the greatest player in the history of the game possibly, he's that good.

And that's also the reason Tiger is the greatest competitor the game has seen, maybe bar Gary Player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

He announced that he intends to play

Glad to hear it as he brings a lot to viewing when he's thereabouts on a Sunday evening
    Hope he's on the road back

soundsham wrote: »
    He announced that he intends to play

Glad to hear it as he brings a lot to viewing when he's thereabouts on a Sunday evening
    Hope he's on the road back

That is a big move, Augusta when you are out of form, the chipping yips aswell, could be embarrassing. Could be inspirational for him too, either way it will be entertaining.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Commits to play The Players...

tigerwoods-stanbadz-847-sm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Players gonna play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Tiger nailing down his schedule for next few months after The Players

"See you at the US Open, Open Champ, Memorial, Greenbrier and my Foundation’s event, the Quicken Loans National. Going to be a busy summer."
    http://www.tigerwoods.com/news/2015/04/29/121240458/tiger-announces-plans-to-play-in-five-upcoming-tournaments/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

HighLine wrote: »
    Tiger nailing down his schedule for next few months after The Players

"See you at the US Open, Open Champ, Memorial, Greenbrier and my Foundation’s event, the Quicken Loans National. Going to be a busy summer."
    http://www.tigerwoods.com/news/2015/04/29/121240458/tiger-announces-plans-to-play-in-five-upcoming-tournaments/

He's playing 6 tournaments in 3 months (May, June, July). Not that busy for a normal Tour pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Lindsey Vonn has just announced on social media that herself and tiger have broken up.
    wrote:
    After nearly three years together, Tiger and I have mutually decided to end our relationship. I will always cherish the memories that we've created together. Unfortunately, we both lead incredibly hectic lives that force us to spend a majority of our time apart. I will always admire and respect Tiger. He and his beautiful family will always hold a special place in my heart.

Will he do a Rory now and blitz the rest of the year!!!

• Advertisement

Ah sure if an unnamed friend told The Daily Mail then it must be true :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

shabalala wrote: »

Ah, The Good Old Daily Fail

A nameless, faceless, non-existing woman that he definitely cheated on lindsay vonn with.

Sure, they dont even know what golf is ...
    To make matters worse, Tiger suffered another loss on Saturday. The former No. 1 player in the world now ranks No. 125 as he was eliminated in Round 4 of The Players Championship at TPC Sawgrass in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida.

Eliminated

Round 4

Saturday

Case. Closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Cant believe people still read that tripe. Its an absolute farce!!

A small gesture that will probably have a big effect for this child.

Tiger Woods Writes Letter to Bullied Boy Who Attempted Suicide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Fair play to him for doing that letter. People often quick to judge sport stars, Ronaldo another who people say is arrogant etc, yet donated 7-8 million recently to a childrens charity. Ive noticed a more openness to Tiger lately, even in the interviews. Pity his driver club face is still too open!

JIdontknow wrote: »
    Fair play to him for doing that letter. People often quick to judge sport stars, Ronaldo another who people say is arrogant etc, yet donated 7-8 million recently to a childrens charity. Ive noticed a more openness to Tiger lately, even in the interviews. Pity his driver club face is still too open!

Yeah that's a good point... similarly with Michael Schumacher who quietly donated $10 million to the Asian tsunami relief fund. I guess negative stories sell more papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I'm now beginning to think that's it. He's going to pack it in more or less.
    Last weekend another low point in his career. Struggled for the cut and then shot an 85 on a perfectly conditioned course in fine weather. A course he won on numerous times before. Cut was below par, others were shooting 65s and 66s.
    He's like one of us now. One day the chipping is kack, few weeks later that's back to good then the driver goes. It seems he's not playing and practicing enough, like he's only a part time golfer.
    I wonder is it it just gone and he simply can't find it even though he's trying with all his might or is the commitment and the dedication gone, is his heart simply no longer in it and he's stopped really trying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

I'm at a stage where I'm thinking the same. Irrelevant of if he's a likeable guy etc, it's genuinely sad to see him struggle like he is, I think Sunday typified it when he was dead last and due to numbers had to play round on his own.

I don't understand why he can't find a set up or driver that suits, I mean Phil had the Frankenwood etc that was developed for him. Then you wonder is it that he hasn't the physical movement anymore after his injuries and previous explosive swing. I'm just hoping its all down to his recent split up, and he finds something.

It's strange but recently on his third rounds (moving day) he's moving backwards. The next month or 6 weeks will tell a lot, chambers bay and St. Andrews, hopefully he finds something, ala Padraig Harrington!!

JIdontknow wrote: »
    ...I think Sunday typified it when he was dead last and due to numbers had to play round on his own.

They send a lucky guy as a marker out there with him don't they? As a non competition playing partner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Boskowski wrote: »
    They send a lucky guy as a marker out there with him don't they? As a non competition playing partner.

They normally just nominate one of the marshals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Boskowski wrote: »

The next time he is playing by himself at the back of the field then he should give me a call.........could be a close match (obviously not)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Walking off after Sunday's round. If you can't feel for this guy your understanding of the human condition is fooked.

Large photo.
    http://static01.nyt.com/images/2015/06/08/sports/08CROUSE/08CROUSE-superJumbo.jpg

08CROUSE-blog427.jpg

I watched both his Friday and Saturday rounds so was full witness to the carnage that it was. I was saying in the other thread, that the driving was probably the worst I had ever seen from Tiger... and that's a fairly impressive achievement!

All that said, I think he is going to surprise a lot of people at the US Open. Chambers Bay is a fairly open course so Tiger will get away with not being so accurate off the tee and I think his short game woes on Saturday was just a temporary blip as a result of his head being fried. I'm going with a top 15... feel free to quote me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Wombatman wrote: »
    Walking off after Sunday's round. If you can't feel for this guy your understanding of the human condition is fooked.

Or maybe it is balanced? Seriously, the guy is no good at golf any more, and that's about it. Some perspective is needed here. Most of the great careers end in a way that the golfer finds difficult. He'll get over it, I'll use my empathy on other things...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Wombatman wrote: »

Large photo.
    http://static01.nyt.com/images/2015/06/08/sports/08CROUSE/08CROUSE-superJumbo.jpg

08CROUSE-blog427.jpg

I started to feel for him, but then I realised he has a gazillion dollars and 14 major championships

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

I watched both his Friday and Saturday rounds so was full witness to the carnage that it was. I was saying in the other thread, that the driving was probably the worst I had ever seen from Tiger... and that's a fairly impressive achievement!

All that said, I think he is going to surprise a lot of people at the US Open. Chambers Bay is a fairly open course so Tiger will get away with not being so accurate off the tee and I think his short game woes on Saturday was just a temporary blip as a result of his head being fried. I'm going with a top 15... feel free to quote me :D

Have you been to chambers bay??

I have, its not in any way wide open, its incredibly punishing offline, a lot of fairways are set at an angle so both shot shapes are needed.... Tiger has no clue what direction its going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

The observation I heard about Chambers Bay is that he won't need to use driver a lot.

His 3w aint too good either...... nor are his irons, or his short game.

Have you been to chambers bay??

I have, its not in any way wide open, its incredibly punishing offline, a lot of fairways are set at an angle so both shot shapes are needed.... Tiger has no clue what direction its going.

I haven't but I have listened to what the pros have to say about it. I asked Billy Horshel if it was a bomber's course to which he replied (paraphrasing) "It all depends on how they set the course up but it certainly could be a bomber's course. The fairways are wide with generous landing areas but the tricky part will be where you place your drives"

You can hear Billy talk about it here also.. http://www.golfchannel.com/media/horschel-talks-chambers-bay/

Greg Normal also said..
    “My first impression is just the massive scale of it, the really wide fairways and massive green complexes, (and) the undulations that are taking place on those green complexes,” Norman said. “It’s going to take a player more than two rounds to understand this golf course.”

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2015/04/27/3763296_greg-norman-warns-golfers-to-shape.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

And from the following article.. http://sportspressnw.com/2202238/2015/thiel-chambers-bay-a-golf-run-for-thinkers-only
    Instead of narrow fairways of fir sentinels, Chambers Bay has the widest fairways in Open history, some as wide as a football field is long.

I haven't but I have listened to what the pros have to say about it. I asked Billy Horshel if it was a bomber's course to which he replied (paraphrasing) "It all depends on how they set the course up but it certainly could be a bomber's course. The fairways are wide with generous landing areas but the tricky part will be where you place your drives"

You can hear Billy talk about it here also.. http://www.golfchannel.com/media/horschel-talks-chambers-bay/

Greg Normal also said..

And from the following article.. http://sportspressnw.com/2202238/2015/thiel-chambers-bay-a-golf-run-for-thinkers-only

:rolleyes: A current strength of Tiger?? As i said its exceptionally punishing offline, the fact you have to be precise with placement on fairways says you need to hit a certain side of a fairway, thus narrowing the target area..... Ive played it, its going to be scary for someone who has no idea if the ball is going right or left.

Did I read somewhere that after Friday's round he hit 7 full bag of balls on the range and left with bleeding blisters, he was never one to complain re injuries so if true that could go somewhat to explain Saturday's round...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

slave1 wrote: »
    Did I read somewhere that after Friday's round he hit 7 full bag of balls on the range and left with bleeding blisters, he was never one to complain re injuries so if true that could go somewhat to explain Saturday's round...

..... what??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Really interesting piece below, it really was phenomenal how good he was at his peak.

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/tiger-woods-consecutive-rounds-streak-might-be-better-joe-dimaggios

• Advertisement

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    ..... what??

Okay, perhaps what I mean is he's played plenty of times with nagging injuries and played through tournaments without mention, his broken leg for example when he knew it was a big risk and he would be out for an extended time afterwards. Withdrawal injuries e.g. back are a different nature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Really interesting piece below, it really was phenomenal how good he was at his peak.

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/tiger-woods-consecutive-rounds-streak-might-be-better-joe-dimaggios

Thanks, excellent article with some really interesting stats ie Lee Westwood no 2 in most consecutive rounds with at least one 3 putt and Luke Donald's stats with most consecutive sand saves are frightening good.

Quoting you.

Quoting you.

Good man. I'm surprised you didn't add your trademark :rolleyes: face.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Just reading there, this year tiger has shot more rounds in the 80s than he has in the 60s. i know he hasn't played an enormous amount of golf, but its a pretty nasty stat either way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

Good man. I'm surprised you didn't add your trademark :rolleyes: face.

Take your medicine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

Terrible to watch. I was always divided on whether I was a fan, but I'd definitely like to see him make a comeback sometime soon. Would be awful to see such a career end in this fashion if it continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I'll say something about Tiger - he doesn't give up! Fair play to him in that respect. It would be like going out to play in front of your whole club shooting 26 points for a few big tournaments in a row. At this stage, I hope he returns to form. Like him or loath him when he's on form it's amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

newport2 wrote: »
    Terrible to watch. I was always divided on whether I was a fan, but I'd definitely like to see him make a comeback sometime soon. Would be awful to see such a career end in this fashion if it continues.

I think it was hard not to be a fan for his dominance. It would be like being a soccer fan and not being a fan of Lionel Messi.

As David Feherty said in a piece on the golf channel before... of the 10 best shots he's ever been there to witness on course. Tiger has played 11 of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

kiers47 wrote: »
    I think it was hard not to be a fan for his dominance. It would be like being a soccer fan and not being a fan of Lionel Messi.

As David Feherty said in a piece on the golf channel before... of the 10 best shots he's ever been there to witness on course. Tiger has played 11 of them.

I was always a fan of his golf. His dominance ruined a lot of tournaments for me watching though, for years it was over before the final round started and the others were playing for second place. Much prefer watching 5-6 people go into the final round with a chance. That's no criticism of Tiger by the way. Whenever Messi's playing at his best the other team is still in with a shout!

• Advertisement
Advertisement