Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[MERGED] Retailer Discussion Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

Serephucus wrote: »
    Nope, you're out of luck. Best try Amazon. They have free delivery when you spend over £25, which I assume the Deathadder is.

The €30 charge is a pain for single items, but it's fantastic if you're ordering a full rig or a bunch of parts, particularly if you order a case.

On Amazon, to get the free delivery, dopes that require to do that trick with the Belfast postcode and hope AnPost pick it up? Is that not a little risky considering the value of the item?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You don't have to do that. Amazon will offer Free "Super Saver" delivery to most orders over £25, whether the delivery address is UK or ROI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

djrichard wrote: »
    Hi, sorry about the delay here. I just saw the email linking to this.

I feel quite bad now, I was trying to be funny. I dont think there is a "magic marker" tool.....:(

I just assumed that everyone knew about the magic markers which made ink vanish.

Richard slinks off and hides in shame

The point was valid even if you weren't serious; you can can make out most of the numbers if you adjust the levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

So, I got my build today, exactly a week after ordering. It came in two packages, one the tower and the other the monitor- I only got the tower today and the monitor should arrive on Monday.

Must say, I'm extremely impressed. The machine was put together perfectly. It literally would work out of the box once you plug it in- the (stock) CPU cooler and graphics card came installed(I know this point has caused confusion in the past). The SSD I bought didn't come with a drive bay adaptor, but HWVS threw one in and installed the SSD into it. Unused PSU cables were tied together into a bundle. Case fan, front panel and power button all connected up properly. All manuals, discs, etc came together in the motherboard's box. The machine itself came in the case's box. All in all, absolutely no problems, got exactly what I wanted, installed as expected and working, in a prompt and cheap service, highly recommended. Assembly is a great service for only €20.

Here are some pictures, since I know my build is similar to many suggested here(i5-2500k, 6950,Superflower PSU, Xigmatek Asgard case.

Imgur album

It looks like a neat job. I think the €20 can be worth it if you don't want to be putting it together and just want it ready. The €30 for installing the OS seems unreasonable though.

I wonder what the going price from major manufacturers would be for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

My shipment "is being transported to the destination country" since friday...

Why is dhl taking so long........ :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

My shipment "is being transported to the destination country" since friday...

Why is dhl taking so long........ :/

That part took about 3 days for me. DHL's tracking isn't very granular. Try your tracking code on An Post as well- it will appear there well before DHL updates(if it ever does).

Also, my monitor arrived today as expected. At work at the moment but might comment further when I get home to see it. So for an order placed on Friday 20th, I got the delivery Friday 27th and Monday 29th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

My tracking code doesn't work with anpost...yet...
    DHL hasn't updated since friday. I think it'll be around wed-thu when I get it. Might get it tomorrow if I'm lucky but I won't be holding my breath...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

My tracking code doesn't work with anpost...yet...
    DHL hasn't updated since friday. I think it'll be around wed-thu when I get it. Might get it tomorrow if I'm lucky but I won't be holding my breath...

Hoping I get mine by the end of the week, having ordered it last Tuesday. if it's in Ireland tomorrow, probably will, later than that might be a risk.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Loving the snazzy new look of HWVS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

is that a joke? it looks the same to me?

Maybe you need to clear your cache or something?

JTAwo.jpg

EDIT: Ahh, its www3 and www4 that have the updated skin, www1 and www2 don't.

Old:
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/home.jsp?lb

New:
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/home.jsp?lb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Anybody here use dabs.ie at all? Typically how long does a good take to dispatch if its in stock?

I've used them quite a few times. If what you've ordered is in stock, usually it'll dispatch the next day, the day after if you're unlucky. Stuff usually arrived at my door a day or two after that.

I've used them quite a few times. If what you've ordered is in stock, usually it'll dispatch the next day, the day after if you're unlucky. Stuff usually arrived at my door a day or two after that.

I ordered at 2 am today so you would recon It should dispatch sometime tomorrow?

Also, I have read some bad reports about there security check. Once it passed the "security" stage I guess I won't have to go through the tedious process? Its been in "processing" since I ordered it last night.

I didn't even know they had a security stage... Can't remember what the stages are, but yeah, should dispatch tomorrow, if not, the day after.

I didn't even know they had a security stage... Can't remember what the stages are, but yeah, should dispatch tomorrow, if not, the day after.

Cheers man. It got dispatched in the morning :). For some reason the tracking is not working on the parcelforce website but it is working on the royal mail site. Does this mean that it will be delivered by an post?

(an post have never let me down but I heard bad stories about parcelforce)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Vargulf

Hi,

I was wondering if there is any point in ordering the software installation from HWVS? How hard is it to install Win 7 and the drivers? Is it as simple as just putting in the disk?

Thanks.

Vargulf wrote: »
    Hi,

I was wondering if there is any point in ordering the software installation from HWVS? How hard is it to install Win 7 and the drivers? Is it as simple as just putting in the disk?

Thanks.

Its very easy to do, and pretty quick (much quicker than it was with XP) Quick step by step guide:

-If you have multiple hard drives then just have the one you're installing Windows onto plugged in.

-Pop in the Windows 7 DVD and boot from it. You might need to go into the BIOS and set your DVD drive as the first boot device, but usually it will work as is.

-Windows installation is pretty straightforward, just do what it tells you.

-When Windows is fully installed, first thing you want to do is check if you have internet access. If you do then go to the next step. If not then you need to put in your motherboard disk and install the network driver from it. If you are using wireless internet then install whatever driver came with the adapter.

-Go to your motherboard's website and download all the latest drivers from it.

-Go to the NVidia/AMD (whatever graphics card you have) website and download the latest video driver.

-Finally, ninite.com is a great way to get a load of common programs together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Vargulf wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks.

This video is a good guide. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxaVBsXEiok&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL6091D3C8AD25CDA7

• Advertisement

deconduo wrote: »
    Its very easy to do, and pretty quick (much quicker than it was with XP)

that reminds me of the days i used to spend installing 95/98. my god people have it easy these days. hours is an understatement. and you couldnt leave it and go watch TV cause it paused for input the entire time.

this helped me get through it though:

tumblr_locobee73l1qfl79io1_400.jpg

:cool::cool::pac:

I noticed something on the royal mail and parcelforce website (its now showing up on the site)

It states that its being delivered using "Euro Priority Home (PO Box)" Obviously its meant to be delivered to my house not a PO Box? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ryan451

Hey guys, im buying something off dabs.ie but the item is due back in 5-7 days.
    Would you recommend that I wait for the item to come back in or has anybody got any experience with ordering out of stock items on Dabs?

What I used to do with dabs was order an item I wanted. If it went down in price, cancel and reorder. Of course, I was never in much of a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Had to RMA something with HWVS. Sent it back last Thursday I think, so it should have arrived by now. Will they send me a confirmation email telling me that they've received the package or will they just send me the replacement straight back.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ryan451

Thanks Monotype, but i decided to go with Scan. Can anybody tell me what to put as my Post code?

Ryan451 wrote: »
    Thanks Monotype, but i decided to go with Scan. Can anybody tell me what to put as my Post code?

Good luck. At this point I've made four different accounts with Scan, and every time, it forgets my details, so I can't sign back in. I end up having to call them, get them to delete my account, and recreate one. Have a look at Overclockers too. Very good support staff in particular. Scan... not so much.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Had to RMA something with HWVS. Sent it back last Thursday I think, so it should have arrived by now. Will they send me a confirmation email telling me that they've received the package or will they just send me the replacement straight back.

It depends. How old/what is the product?

I just revived my 6950 from dabs today. Shipping only took 3 days :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    that reminds me of the days i used to spend installing 95/98. my god people have it easy these days. hours is an understatement. and you couldnt leave it and go watch TV cause it paused for input the entire time.

this helped me get through it though:

:cool::cool::pac:

A friend of mine actually linked me to this the other day

enjoy :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Trevor451 wrote: »
    It depends. How old/what is the product?

I just revived my 6950 from dabs today. Shipping only took 3 days :)

It's a Asus P8P67 and some ram. Bought the motherboard maybe 6 months ago, the ram about a month and half, sent them back together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

A i52500K has increased in price by ~€15, and a 1TB F3 has increased by about the same, as well as a 560ti jumping about €30. SSDs and RAM have also taken increases, albeit smaller.

What exactly is the rationale behind the increase in prices in the last while? Setting it up so it can look like "WOW! DISCOUNTS" in two weeks?

A i52500K has increased in price by ~€15, and a 1TB F3 has increased by about the same, as well as a 560ti jumping about €30. SSDs and RAM have also taken increases, albeit smaller.

What exactly is the rationale behind the increase in prices in the last while? Setting it up so it can look like "WOW! DISCOUNTS" in two weeks?

One rational explanation why HDD prices have gone up is because of major floods in Thailand. The western digital HDD manufacturing plant has been affected. I have no explanation as to why the sandy bridge prices have gone up though :confused:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/oct/17/thailand-flooding-hits-western-digital-operations/

Prices usually go up before Christmas but it's usually a slow increase rather than €10 increases. It seems to be widespread increases so it must be high distributors or manufacturer increases.

Hard drive prices have gone up further again. The F3 was about €63 two days ago on komplett which was looking good against HWV's increases. €99 today.

Although Seagate's factories weren't flooded, some of those which produce components for them were. Since Samsung's drives are now Seagate, we're seeing increases in all drives. We'll be better off buying SSDs if this keeps up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Monotype wrote: »
    Seagate's factories weren't flooded, some of those which produce components for them were. Since Samsung's drives are now Seagate, we're seeing increases in all drives. We'll be better off buying SSDs if this keeps up.

Am I the only one who sees the idea of putting vital components for 80% of the world HDD supply and the machines to make them in the same building as a terrible idea? Combine this with a decreasing stock of rare earths available, and we might have to all switch to SSDs and start recycling old drives.

• Advertisement

in somewhat related news, Hitachi recently announced the worlds first 1Tb platter.

Also, some scientists worked out how to improve the microstructural grains of the platters to get them to hold 6 times more data using sodium iodide, better known as table salt. the process is fully compatable with current manufacturing techniques so in the next 2 years HDD sizes would explode.

ive still got a fully functional 2Gb HDD at home which i used to store my collection of 86kbps MP3's back in the day. its massive though and wouldnt fit into a normal 3.5" bay.

i also had a 256mb HDD until ~a year ago when i stupidly threw it out. that thing must have been older than me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 KamSaw

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    in somewhat related news, Hitachi recently announced the worlds first 1Tb platter.

Also, some scientists worked out how to improve the microstructural grains of the platters to get them to hold 6 times more data using sodium iodide, better known as table salt. the process is fully compatable with current manufacturing techniques so in the next 2 years HDD sizes would explode.

ive still got a fully functional 2Gb HDD at home which i used to store my collection of 86kbps MP3's back in the day. its massive though and wouldnt fit into a normal 3.5" bay.

i also had a 256mb HDD until ~a year ago when i stupidly threw it out. that thing must have been older than me.

it's actually sodium chloride. Just saying in case someone tried to put sodium iodide on their chips ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

KamSaw wrote: »
    it's actually sodium chloride. Just saying in case someone tried to put sodium iodide on their chips ;)

Yummy

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Good luck. At this point I've made four different accounts with Scan, and every time, it forgets my details, so I can't sign back in. I end up having to call them, get them to delete my account, and recreate one. Have a look at Overclockers too. Very good support staff in particular. Scan... not so much.

I wouldn't recommend Overclockers as it happens. It's taken me a month and a half (and around 25 emails through their painful webnote system) to get a full refund for a cancelled order they shipped by mistake. I've complained about Dabs before, but Overclockers made them look incredibly professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

How's Komplett these days?

• Advertisement

L wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend Overclockers as it happens. It's taken me a month and a half (and around 25 emails through their painful webnote system) to get a full refund for a cancelled order they shipped by mistake. I've complained about Dabs before, but Overclockers made them look incredibly professional.

I've always just called them, they're very helpful on the phone at least; I find that a much better option with any online retailer than emailing. I only usually ask for them to email me something if I want it for proof reasons.

@ Genghiz: They seem alright. I ordered a hard drive and PSU from them last week, and it all went through fine. I had the stuff four days after putting the order through.

I've always just called them, they're very helpful on the phone at least; I find that a much better option with any online retailer than emailing. I only usually ask for them to email me something if I want it for proof reasons.

Fair warning though, a lot of distance selling protections require proof. Email is usually the better way of doing anything with financial implications.

L wrote: »
    Fair warning though, a lot of distance selling protections require proof. Email is usually the better way of doing anything with financial implications.

I'm not new at this. ;) Usually if I'm ordering something I (have to) call, because they're sit doesn't work with Verified by Visa (stupidest security measure every implemented), or for returns or something. I generally find you get much faster turn-around if you call.

I'm not new at this. ;)

Well aware (you've answered some upgrade questions for me before as it happens). Someone else reading it probably will be though. Better to over clarify now and save on tears later. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭HovaBaby

How much would it cost to pay a man to build a PC for you if you brought him all the components?

HovaBaby wrote: »
    How much would it cost to pay a man to build a PC for you if you brought him all the components?

Slightly less than a nice looking woman, as the demand is higher. :pac:

Or go with this thread and you may find someone in your area.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70965766

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

HovaBaby wrote: »

If you were in Carlow, I'd do it for free :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

What's the general consensus on dabs.ie these days folks? I won't use OCUK anymore, and the other places I have used before are out of stock for some of the bits I'm after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

What's the general consensus on dabs.ie these days folks? I won't use OCUK anymore, and the other places I have used before are out of stock for some of the bits I'm after.
    Anyone? I'm hoping to place an order in the next couple of days. :)

Anyone? I'm hoping to place an order in the next couple of days. :)

They're ok. Had a minor issue getting them to schedule a courier to pick up a faulty part a few months back (more a problem with their courier getting lost and going to the wrong office rather than anything they themselves did) but they were pretty helpful and professional. No problems getting the refund and pleasant to deal with. A lot better than OCUK.

• Advertisement
Advertisement