Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

speeding fine query

Options
  • 15-04-2008 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Got stopped by gard for speeding...fair enough (was well over motorway limit) - he said it was dangerous driving but said that he'd leave it at 2 points for speeding. Only thing is 2 separate notices arrive in the post (same envelope) - speeding and driving without reasonable consideration... 2 x 2points... can you get done for 2 seperate offences at the same time?

bit lousy him saying one thing and doing another

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

I was told by a Garda that you only get the one pair of points regardless of how many offences are committed at the one time. Aside from what he said, what speed were you doing? Maybe on reflection he decided 2 points was letting you away too lightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

was it a first time offence , also yes , you can , a mate of mine got 5 " infactions for speeding , carelessness , excessive speeding , evading police etc.

afaik the ponts stick to the Highest offence , the rest dont count to points but if they bring you up in court about it... your screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

mtbr hylo wrote: »
    Got stopped by gard for speeding...fair enough (was well over motorway limit) - he said it was dangerous driving but said that he'd leave it at 2 points for speeding. Only thing is 2 separate notices arrive in the post (same envelope) - speeding and driving without reasonable consideration... 2 x 2points... can you get done for 2 seperate offences at the same time?

bit lousy him saying one thing and doing another

A bit lousy of him? You say yourself you were "well over motorway limit". And now you're disappointed or surprised by his actions? Get a load of yourself will you....

Moral high-horse? Me? Not at all. But I can hear the law benders and the usual old gits getting ready to wheel that one out again.... Go on lads, I know you have to.... You wouldn't be utterly-predictable otherwise, would ye?

OP, you'll be lucky to avoid a disqualification I'd reckon, and if you really were "well over the motorway limit", you'll be getting what you deserve.

Gil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    A bit lousy of him? You say yourself you were "well over motorway limit". And now you're disappointed or surprised by his actions? Get a load of yourself will you....

Moral high-horse? Me? Not at all. But I can hear the law benders and the usual old gits getting ready to wheel that one out again.... Go on lads, I know you have to.... You wouldn't be utterly-predictable otherwise, would ye?

OP, you'll be lucky to avoid a disqualification I'd reckon, and if you really were "well over the motorway limit", you'll be getting what you deserve.

Gil

Heres your halo:rolleyes::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Awww no poor MTBR HYLO.
    The barage of you shouldn't speed we are all perfect.
    Ride your high horses!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Gil
    cabrwab wrote: »
    Awww no poor MTBR HYLO.
    The barage of you shouldn't speed we are all perfect.
    Ride your high horses!
    Ya pair of sanctimonious so and so's!
    He didn't complain about getting caught. He admitted and accepted it.
    The OP's issue was with the fact that he was told he would be done for offence speeding and in fact got done for speeding and driving without reasonable consideration. Should the garda have been more up front about the punishment intended?
    Anyhow, the OP only asked if it was legal for them to apply two punishments for one offence!
    Gil_Dub - why do you think that the OP will be lucky to escape a disqualification given that he has already referred to the punishments being applied?
    No need for your high moral ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

heres a question, i was in my mates car and he got done for speeding, fair enough, guard gave him the usual speil, and quoted section XYZ and said he was being done. fairly clear:)

i was stopped for speeding 2 nites ago around 1.30am(ive no complaints i was flying through town), fair play she stopped me, checked all my stuff, had a little conversation about the car and the speed, i totally agreed and apologised.
    now she didnt quote any legislation, didnt mention points only to say that im lucky she isnt doing me for reckess driving due to my speed and the fact "drunks" are about:D

now im just wondering will i hear anything?? im expecting points, which i deserve as i broke te law??but she wasnt very clear, and i dint want to ask:D

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

Here are 2 alternative explanations: he genuinely meant what he said when he was leaning in your car window BUT 1: he pressed the wrong button on the computer or 2: his sergeant looked over his shoulder while he was on the computer and ordered him to penalise or record both?

Either way, bad luck. :mad: I’m sure we both see worse every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

I was actaully agreeing with the OP my problem is the you shouldnt speed hope you burn in hell talk that was bound to follow.

Sorry for the confusion.
    Sarcasm is hard to do in type!

The fact the gard was being an ass, funny i thought they would have to notify you of all points at the roadside.

Ah bugger - No day in court? No contest? Just points? No slapped wrists? Shame. "Well over motorway limit" deserves a bit more than a few poxy points and a couple of hundred lids in fines.

Anyway, of course you'll get both sets of points if they're both points offences..... What makes any of you think he gets off with one set, just because he happened to be committing another offence at the same time? Can you imagine it? (I can) - "I'm sorry I hit yer man while skidding around the motorway on my bald tyres at 150 clicks, stoned off me tits on some of the class A partypack in the glovebox over there, Garda. Me tax is out too so you can do me for that and let me on with the rest, won't ye?"

High moral ground my arse. I just can't get my head around people breaking the law (and not a little bit over lads - We all do that from time to time), having the Garda leave off a dangerous driving charge, then heading for t'internet to have a little moan about getting done for a couple of lesser offences.

Look. Gifthorse. Mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

Well in that case gil_dub, why doesnt EVERY speeding offence come with an additional 2 points for dangerous driving, making the maximum possible points 6.

Or are you infact admitting that speeding doesnt necessarily mean dangerous?

You're supposed to only get the points/fine for one offence at a time through the fixed penalty system, in a court appearance you will get multiple summons..sss and the judge will give you your fine/points

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

OP is getting hit with two penalty point offences, the speeding and driving without reasonable consideration.

Careless driving is a more serious offence involving a mandatory court appearance and 5 points on conviction. OP is _not_ being charged with this.

Dangerous driving is a yet more serious offence involving a mandatory court appearance and minimum 12 months disqualification on conviction (can also include fines and imprisonment.) OP is _not_ being charged with this either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

You only get one set of points.

Section 2, RTA 2002
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2002/en/act/pub/0012/sec0002.html#sec2

2.(1) Where a person makes a payment under section 103 (as inserted by this Act) of the Principal Act in respect of an alleged penalty point offence (other than such an offence specified at reference number 2, 3, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 or 14 in column (2) of Part 1 of the First Schedule), the number of penalty points specified in column (4) of that Schedule opposite the mention of the offence in the said column (2) shall, subject to and in accordance with the provisions of this Act, be endorsed on the entry relating to the person in respect of the alleged offence.

(2) Where a person is convicted of a penalty point offence, the number of penalty points specified in column (5) of the First Schedule opposite the mention of the offence in column (2) of that Schedule shall, subject to and in accordance with the provisions of this Act, be endorsed on the entry relating to the person in respect of the offence.

(3) (a) Where a person, whether on the same occasion or not—

(i) makes 2 or more payments referred to in subsection (1) in respect of alleged penalty point offences committed on the same occasion, or

(ii) is convicted of 2 or more penalty point offences committed on the same occasion,

penalty points in respect of one only of the alleged offences or offences, determined, where appropriate, in accordance with subsection (4), shall be endorsed on the entry relating to the person.

(b) Where a person, whether on the same occasion or not, makes one or more payments referred to in subsection (1) and is convicted of one or more penalty point offences and the alleged penalty point offences concerned and the penalty point offences were committed on the same occasion, penalty points in respect only of any one of the alleged offences and offences, determined in accordance with subsection (4), shall be endorsed on the entry relating to the person.

(4) In a case referred to in subsection (3)—

(a) if the number of penalty points falling (but for that subsection) to be endorsed on the entry concerned in respect of one of the alleged offences, or offences, concerned differs from that or those in respect of the other or others, the number which is the bigger or biggest shall, subject to paragraph (b), be endorsed on the entry, and

(b) if 2 or more of the numbers aforesaid are bigger than the other or others, or are the biggest of the numbers, and are equal, one only of them shall be so endorsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Morgans

My brother got stopped for speeding at Easter, over 3 weeks ago now. No excuses, Guard said that it was 2 pts offence, but my brothers says he hasnt received any notification in the post. He was asking me should he follow it up or what was the story? I didn't have a clue, so I have just typed this....

Any help on the best course of action.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Morgans wrote: »
    My brother got stopped for speeding at Easter, over 3 weeks ago now. No excuses, Guard said that it was 2 pts offence, but my brothers says he hasnt received any notification in the post. He was asking me should he follow it up or what was the story? I didn't have a clue, so I have just typed this....

Any help on the best course of action.

AFAIK they can take up to 6 months to arrive.

Wait it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Ah bugger - No day in court? No contest? Just points? No slapped wrists? Shame. "Well over motorway limit" deserves a bit more than a few poxy points and a couple of hundred lids in fines.

Anyway, of course you'll get both sets of points if they're both points offences..... What makes any of you think he gets off with one set, just because he happened to be committing another offence at the same time? Can you imagine it? (I can) - "I'm sorry I hit yer man while skidding around the motorway on my bald tyres at 150 clicks, stoned off me tits on some of the class A partypack in the glovebox over there, Garda. Me tax is out too so you can do me for that and let me on with the rest, won't ye?"

High moral ground my arse. I just can't get my head around people breaking the law (and not a little bit over lads - We all do that from time to time), having the Garda leave off a dangerous driving charge, then heading for t'internet to have a little moan about getting done for a couple of lesser offences.

Look. Gifthorse. Mouth.

Such a civicly minded person should join the Garda reserves, just think, you'll be able to catch all the evil-doers .. lol!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

cabrwab wrote: »
    I was actaully agreeing with the OP my problem is the you shouldnt speed hope you burn in hell talk that was bound to follow.

Sorry for the confusion.
    Sarcasm is hard to do in type!
    Forgiven!
    Use the sarcasm smiley below in future!
    :rolleyes:

Look. Gifthorse. Mouth.
    You didn't have to post that though!
    The OP wasn't being critical of being caught, nor were they trying to wriggle out of anything by using dodgy excuses. They came online looking for advice on whether the gardas actions were legal or not. As it turns out, they are not!
    You were deliberately trying to stir it up.
    If you dislike people breaking the law then become a garda or a judge or whatever. Don't come on here acting the troll!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

OP was wondering about what the Garda said regarding not charging him with dangerous driving, and leaving it at two points for speeding.

1. You are not being charged with dangerous or even careless driving- these are different and more serious offences than driving without reasonable consideration.

2. As other posters have pointed out, you will only get 2 points endorsed, as you were told. You have to pay the two fines, but only get the one set of points on your license.

Not sure what actions of the garda were "not legal" in all of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

kbannon wrote: »
    Forgiven!

If you dislike people breaking the law then become a garda or a judge or whatever. Don't come on here acting the troll!

Don't encourage him! The last thing is loopers like him with such attitudes in the traffic corps, or worse, on the Bench!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dave_brent

whats the story with NI registered cars speeding in ROI, I think I may have been done doin 65/70 mph on the ennis to limerick dual carriageway...

Will i get a fine or points on my NI licence or both....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

dave_brent wrote: »
    whats the story with NI registered cars speeding in ROI, I think I may have been done doin 65/70 mph on the ennis to limerick dual carriageway...

Not that I'm aware of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

dave_brent wrote: »

If you produced your UK driving license then no, you'll just get a fine. Points cannot be issued on UK licenses as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dave_brent

we were stopped now on a camera the cops i think had set up on a tripod out the back of a jeep.... he has NI licence and car and from NI...

just checking is all....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Gil
    This post reminds me of those secret gays who are vocally anti-gay.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

esel wrote: »
    This post reminds me of those secret gays who are vocally anti-gay.

lol :D

As someone who nearly bit the dust last year when hit by some filthy wankstain in a NI registered car, driving wrecklessly and in excess of the speed limit on the M50, I've little tolerance for law breakers on our roads. Call me a closet whatever you like for that....

Anyway, I've no interest in joining the Gardaí in any form. I've had much more satisfaction lately out of having a couple of cars seized by customs & excise from a carpark beside my workplace....I think I've found a new hobby.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Totally agree with astraboy, get a fcuking life man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Seems to me that there seems to be a lot of people posting here who condone speeding and law-breaking. And then some that get abusive with those who respect the law. Just because somebody follows the law doesn't mean that he doesn't have a life. In fact, I'd say the opposite were more appropriate. Those who speed and those who condone it do so because it's the only kick they can get out of life. How sad is that?

Like Gil, I had a near fatal accident where my son was airlifted to the nearest "bigger" hospital, my daughter broke her back in three places and my wife and I had serious difficulties walking for a year after the accident. All because of a careless driver. No, he wasn't speeding. But if he had been, I wouldn't be here now telling you about it. So, yes, like Gil, I've become very intolerant towards speeding drivers, slow drivers, wreckless drivers, careless drivers and driving without reasonable consideration, whatever. Does everyone need to have a brush with death to realise this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

As someone who nearly bit the dust last year when hit by some filthy wankstain in a NI registered car, driving wrecklessly and in excess of the speed limit on the M50....
    I'm sorry to hear this. Were you or any of your passengers injured?

• Advertisement

I'm sorry to hear this. Were you or any of your passengers injured?

Yes, both myself and the missus were... I've had maybe a dozen solid nights sleep since then, thankfully she's just fine. The rest are interrupted due to back ache and muscular issues. Those uninteripted nights are solely thanks to the wonders of modern medication, something I'd rather do without. Tough as that is for me (and the missus who has to deal with my complaints), it's nothing compared to what some people deal with as a DIRECT consequence of speeding motorists on our roads.

Zero tolerance from this quarter for anyone who DELIBERATELY speeds, and ignores the laws I'm obliged to obey. Anyway, we're going off topic, and there are some posters becoming personally abusive here which only serves to highlight their character....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement