Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Euro Gold and Silver Commemorative coins

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

signostic wrote: »
    When would the CB start to send out orders?

The orders that were received from customers who are on the mailing list will not be shipped until after the release date regardless of when they were received. They usually try to ship the coins in the order that they received the orders. How long after the release date you will receive your order depends on how busy the central bank is.

If you paid by debit or credit card the money for your order will be taken from your card on the day that they ship your coins.

The JFK coins are now visible on the central bank website. But they do not appear to be on the order form.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

Who else thinks they should of making a decent half oz €50 Gold JFK coin for the anniversary?
    I noticed also that someone had pics of the JFK coins before they where even on the CB site so I dont suppose anyone has any draft images even of the new Lockout coin?

Mr CJ wrote: »
    Who else thinks they should of making a decent half oz €50 Gold JFK coin for the anniversary?
    I noticed also that someone had pics of the JFK coins before they where even on the CB site so I dont suppose anyone has any draft images even of the new Lockout coin?

I would certainly be in favour of a half oz coin. It would be a real collectors item, like the polar year coin. But with the way the gold price has been dropping recently I would be a bit reluctant to buy it.

The central bank usually sends out a press release with images of the new coins before they start selling them to anyone. You will see the images pop up on various foreign coin sites before you hear anything about it from the central bank. In late May, I saw the JFK images pop up on a couple of European and American numismatic websites. I haven't seen anything about the Lockout coin yet.

I came across some info on the net today, that next year there will be a gold commemorative coin relating to the 1,000th anniversary of the death of Brian Boru.

Also, the Europa coin programme ends next year and the theme will be 'European Composers'. I don't know who we are planning for the Irish coin and I can't think of any famous Irish composers. Anyone got any suggestions?

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    I would certainly be in favour of a half oz coin. It would be a real collectors item, like the polar year coin. But with the way the gold price has been dropping recently I would be a bit reluctant to buy it.

The central bank usually sends out a press release with images of the new coins before they start selling them to anyone. You will see the images pop up on various foreign coin sites before you hear anything about it from the central bank. In late May, I saw the JFK images pop up on a couple of European and American numismatic websites. I haven't seen anything about the Lockout coin yet.

I came across some info on the net today, that next year there will be a gold commemorative coin relating to the 1,000th anniversary of the death of Brian Boru.

Also, the Europa coin programme ends next year and the theme will be 'European Composers'. I don't know who we are planning for the Irish coin and I can't think of any famous Irish composers. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks for the info, I heard about the Clontarf coin for next year, no mention of a silver one so must be just the gold?
    I thought I read somewhere also that the Rock of Cashel is due out in 2014 but I was told its this year around Oct? do you know?

Cheers

• Advertisement

As far as I know the Lockout coin is due in August and the Rock of Cashel coin is in October.

You are right when you mention Clontarf, there is some discussion as to whether the coin will commemorate the Battle of Clontarf or the Death of Brian boru.

So, did anyone go to the central bank today? Was it busy? How do the coins look?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 madra_baiste

Got mine this morning,a Single and a double. :) There was a que of around 20 people there before 9am and they opened the counters at 9. An hour before they were supposed to. Sales were limited to two items per person in total.
    The coin looks better than the images I had seen on the web. The gold is apparently larger in diameter than the earlier ones and is a nice little coin.

Nice one madra. They must have been expecting it to be busy if they opened up early.

Yes DMCL, they opened early. I had called over yesterday, I got the release and sales date mixed up. The lady at reception told me they were planning to open early as they had received a large number of enquiries. So I made sure to be in early this morning!

• Advertisement

Got mine this morning,a Single and a double. :) There was a que of around 20 people there before 9am and they opened the counters at 9. An hour before they were supposed to. Sales were limited to two items per person in total.
    The coin looks better than the images I had seen on the web. The gold is apparently larger in diameter than the earlier ones and is a nice little coin.

Completely agree, I seen one today myself the pics of the coin do not do it justice at all, it was much better than I expected, from what I heard there was a few people in line just after 10 and steadily kept coming, lack of media coverage on these coins would make a lot of the public unaware of these coins was not even mentioned on rte news??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭hexosan

Anyone hear how well the coin sold on fri after, any sign of them selling out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

hexosan wrote: »
    Anyone hear how well the coin sold on fri after, any sign of them selling out.

+1 - order form still on their website so doesn't look like they were a quick seller this time.

I've just taken a good look at the new JFK coins and I must say, I do like them. The extra few milimetres diameter on the gold coins makes it a lot easier to make out the image than on the previous 11mm coins.

I also really like the new packaging. Although the outer boxes are a lot bigger than before, I really like the velvet insert for holding the case inside the cardboard box. It makes the outer box more like a presentation case rather than just a box. Also I think the large gold image on the box looks very attractive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Mr CJ wrote: »
    Completely agree, I seen one today myself the pics of the coin do not do it justice at all, it was much better than I expected, from what I heard there was a few people in line just after 10 and steadily kept coming, lack of media coverage on these coins would make a lot of the public unaware of these coins was not even mentioned on rte news??

Why would it be mentioned on the news? Bank issues coin isn't generally newsworthy.

Just got my Kennedy double set in the post today, does anyone else think the packaging from the central bank is disgraceful. Item was received in a poor quality "padded" envelope, which was about three times larger that the coin case, so it was free to rattle around in envelope. There was no effort whatsoever from the person who packed it to protect the coin. Considering the cost they charge for postage and the fact I've spent €130 on this item you'd imagine they'd make more of an effort.

How have other people received their orders ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

hexosan wrote: »

How have other people received their orders ??

Exactly the same way, when the postie handed me the package I didn`t it was going to be from the CB, previous coins came in neat cardboard boxes, still the boxes the actual coins are are very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Shelmalier

Was your merchandise received in good order? If so then the packaging was fine. I received mine the same way in perfect condition. So what's the problem?

I would complain to the Central Bank if the coin arrived in a padded envelope whether it was damaged or not.

For years the coins have been shipped, wrapped in bubble wrap, inside a strong cardboard box. This ensured no harm would come to them. This is now the level of packaging I expect from them. A padded envelope is not good enough to ensure that an expensive collectors item will be delivered undamaged. A nice presentation coin case in only a padded envelope can get easily dented, or even crushed, by sliding around in the back of an An Post van or being in the bottom of a postal sack. The cardboard boxes they used to use were able to take some serious punishment.

I sometimes sell coins on eBay and I would absolutely never ship a collector coin in a padded envelope. These items are designed to be collected and kept in mint condition.

I would strongly urge anyone who received their coin in a padded envelope to complain about it. Let's not let them think it's OK to just chuck the coin in a padded envelope and send it out.

Shelmalier wrote: »
    Was your merchandise received in good order? If so then the packaging was fine. I received mine the same way in perfect condition. So what's the problem?

Yes the coin came undamaged, but that's not the point as has been stated the coins up to this point have always come in a hard cardboard box. As these coins are collector items condition is everything, even the slightest mark can affect the value of the coins in years to come. When purchasing collector coins from the central bank they should respect their customers more and take greater care with their purchases.

• Advertisement

I would strongly urge anyone who received their coin in a padded envelope to complain about it. Let's not let them think it's OK to just chuck the coin in a padded envelope and send it out.

I intend on contacting them on Monday to complain about the packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Hi All, I have a number of commemorative coins that I'd like to sell. I know this is not the place to do it but just wondering what would the best way to dispose of them for a fair price be .Is ebay the place where collectors generally go looking?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

RedRunner wrote: »
    Hi All, I have a number of commemorative coins that I'd like to sell. I know this is not the place to do it but just wondering what would the best way to dispose of them for a fair price be .Is ebay the place where collectors generally go looking?

I'd try putting some on Adverts.ie first and see how you get on, failing that try ebay.

the JFK coins are now gone from the Central Bank Website, not sure if they are sold out, it could be just a glitch.

They are not great at keeping their website up to date. I would guess it is just a glitch. When they first put the coins up on the website it took them about four days to update the downloadable order form. Now the coins are not on the site but both are still on the order form. They will probably be visible again on monday.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

AFAIK they are still available. But we'll see on Monday...

the JFK coins are now gone from the Central Bank Website, not sure if they are sold out, it could be just a glitch.

I was in the central bank today at 11.45am and they were still selling them so id doubt there sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mahou

Just as a matter of interest, what´s the highest number anyone has seen on the sets? I know my Dad has a double set numbered four thousand four hundred and something.

Mahou wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, what´s the highest number anyone has seen on the sets? I know my Dad has a double set numbered four thousand four hundred and something.

The numbers wouldn't give any indication as to what's left or what's been sold so far, if that's what you're thinking? Like if you went in today and got number 9,000 it wouldn't mean there's only a thousand left. Collectors tend to prefer the lower numbers, some of mine are in the 500's. No.1 is reserved for the president or the minister for finance, can't remember which now. But generally it's all pretty random.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mahou

Yes Blade, thats what I was getting at. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18 scoooby

Was away on hols when my 2 double JFK sets arrived at my parents' house. I gave their address as I knew I wouldn't be home. Unfortunately my parents were out when the courier arrived (they say it was a courier although An Post delivered previous coin sets). A delivery note was put through the letterbox which said that the coins had been left in the green bin at the front of the house. So the cheap padded envelope was left in a (paper recycling) bin and a scrap of paper which could easily have been dumped along with other junk mail was put through the letterbox.:eek:

Why would it be mentioned on the news? Bank issues coin isn't generally newsworthy.

Same reason why other coins have been mentioned on the news including Michael Collins, James Joyce, im sure others here will be able to name more and to top it off same reason why they mentioned everything else that was going on in relation to the Kennedy's that week of issue so I would of thought it was perfectly reasonable to have expecting some coverage on rte

They still appear on the order form you can download, not sure why they have taken the pics & descriptions off the website..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Danco

Hi folks,

I'm considering buying an Irish proof coin or coin set for my nephew as I'm standing for him as Godfather next week. I want to get a nice keepsake that will be different from the other gifts he receives and which he'll have for many years (obviously he won't appreciate it too much to begin with, but I'll get him a blanket or teddy or something more immediate as well). I'd also like the gift I get him to be from the year he was born (2012) and as I am a collector myself, though not of coins, I'd like to get him something that might spark that interest in him when he's a bit older.

I've been looking at the 2012 proof set on the Central Bank website and the gold Monastic Art 2012 coin as well and I was just wondering if anyone could advise me on how well these items hold their value over time. I'd like to get him the 2012 set which is €70 as I think it seems a more substantial gift. Could I get some advice from collectors on how good of an investment this would be? I'd like to give him something that will hold some value at least.

Thanks a million,
    Danco

As you can see from the central bank web site, the proof sets have sold very slowly. The 2007 and 2009 sets are still available to buy. This suggests that the 2012 set will still be available at €70 for many years to come. That also suggests that the sets should not go down in value. I wouldn't see them as being an investment though. Even if your godson was to sell his in twenty years time it would never be a rarity. However it should hold its value.

The proof set would be a far nicer gift than the Monastic Art coin. The Monastic coin is tiny and, in my opinion not very attractive, whereas the proof set is a very nice presentation and is a much more substantial looking gift.

The baby set is also quite nice, it only contains uncirculated coins as opposed to proof coins but they come in a nice cardboard stand with space to put in his photo and write some details about him (though writing on it will obviously destroy any resale value). They are still available for the years 2010-2013.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Danco

Thanks DMcL1971, I appreciate the quick response.

That's great, I wanted to go for the 2012 set myself, I was just worried about it depreciating hugely as soon as I walk out of the shop with it. If it holds it's value or something a little lower but close to it I'd be very happy with that. I think it's an attractive gift and something that would be nice for my godson to have in the future. I agree that the monastic art coin is probably too small and a little less suitable for this kind of gift. The baby set is nice too, but a little too lightweight for what I want to give, thanks for the suggestion though and all the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

I think gift and investment are two words that one shall not mix.

P.S.The Monastic Art coin is no longer availble at the central bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

Isn't there a coin coming out this month commemorating the 1913 lock-out?

EDIT: sorry, what I was really trying to ask is what date will it be coming out? I have not received any pamphlet yet on it in the post.

Backfire wrote: »
    Isn't there a coin coming out this month commemorating the 1913 lock-out?

EDIT: sorry, what I was really trying to ask is what date will it be coming out? I have not received any pamphlet yet on it in the post.

Its release has been moved until September.

Its release has been moved until September.

What will it be, a silver, a gold and a double set?

• Advertisement

I believe it will be a 15 Euro Silver coin.

There was supposed to be a Gold 'Rock of Cashel' coin released this year as well, but they are running out of time. I wouldn't be surprised if that got postponed to next year.

The 'Lockout' coin will be launched on 24th September and will be priced at 44 Euro.
    The 'Rock of Cashel' coin will be released in late November.

The 'Lockout' coin will be launched on 24th September and will be priced at 44 Euro.

Just to add: The issue limit is 10,000 units. The coin weighs 28.28g with a diameter of 38.61mm and the image:

269225.jpg

Thanks for the info on the lockout coin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭Sitamoia

The new coin is on the Central Bank website
    http://www.centralbank.ie/paycurr/collector/Pages/Coinsets.aspx

Sitamoia wrote: »
    The new coin is on the Central Bank website
    http://www.centralbank.ie/paycurr/collector/Pages/Coinsets.aspx

Just got the literature on it today in the post. €44 for the coin. A nice simple design to it. I'll be ordering one.

I also got the leaflet today. I hope they go back to delivering the coins in boxes and don't send them out in padded envelopes again. Also it's nice to see the price coming down a bit.

I also got the leaflet today. I hope they go back to delivering the coins in boxes and don't send them out in padded envelopes again. Also it's nice to see the price coming down a bit.

Yeah I have read here about people receiving their coins in padded envelopes. Thankfully I got my President Kennedy double coin set in a usual standard cardboard box.
    Amazingly, these have not being sold out, still available to order.

Lock out coin on sale today, my daughter went to the CB to collect a pair for me but when she was there at 10am she was the only customer...this coin launch has almost gone unnoticed.

I called over at 10am this morning, no queue. Have seen no publicity at all for this coin. So much for the Launch Yesterday. Where was it held? Phone box out the back?

Anyhow, bought two. I'm not sure about the design. I'd have preferred the subject Larkin viewed from the front. The lock with 1913 on it reminds me of a charm off a charm bracelet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement