Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Bryan Singer)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Is Cyclops staying dead in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I like the sentinels design but he costumes are awful imo.

me too.

they had an excuse back in 2000 when they (the film industry) were still trying to perfect the superhero look in the cinema. IMO thor and cap wouldve looked bloody awfull as everyone seemed to be captured by the burton batman aesthetic.

but theres no excuse now. hell First class made the original uniforms look good. ok i know theyre not exactly the same but a hell of alot closer than i thought itd be.

i guess what annoys me is that the xmen have had some of the better uniforms over the years so it not like theres a few options from each character they could use as suits their needs.

right now all that black leather looks a bit weird TBH. Gas to think it'll probably be the 70s look that ill like the most.

:D

still back to that sentinel, flocks of that swooping into action is just gonna be great. its a lovely mix of the traditional and the new.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, they look all right so far considering what they have to work with, yellow and blue spandex n' all. Captain America's initial outfit's the only superhero costume in recent memory that felt 'authentic', but that's cos it openly embraced the military aesthetic of the character, rather than come up with some cosplay'eque leather onesie. The Nolan Batman getup was also pretty good, but again that was just body armour with pointy ears.

I honestly think the poor photoshopping of the photos is the biggest problem here; the rough promotional artwork is doing most of the damage, and I suspect they'll look better in their more cinematic habitat surrounded by motion, sets and lighting. The Empire covers are really, really badly put together, even Batman'd look like a dork on those covers.

Ah now here Thors looks amazing,along with there rest of the cast.

that couldve looked like the campest thing this side of flash gordon. the one thing that really struck me about X1 looking back at it recently is just how badly the costumes have dated.

they have tweaked things here and ive high hopes for the 70s stuff but the "furture" is very drab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

but the "furture" is very drab.

That'd be the point of the film, yes.

didnt stop em in the comics. and they had oceans full of dead corpeses.

look at wolverine. has he EVER looked good "in costume" in this franchise ?

usually he's in civvies or has his shirt off :D

bit of creativity wouldnt go arwy, particularly after 1st class which showed it could be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

So now Beast is like the Hulk and only changes when he's mad.

Singer loves taking continuity and scrapping it.
    "What's happened up to this point is between the time of the last movie and this movie my character has created a serum which basically controls his mutation so his appearance is normal as long as he doesn't get worked up. Any animal instinct or urges, that kind of brings him out. So yeah, he changes into Beast a few times throughout the story and they've done some great action sequences with him this time, particularly in the mansion flying around on these chandeliers and stuff."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Between this and Quicksilver I'm starting to think that maybe, just maybe, Singer might not be as competent as I thought. :eek: Purely an exercise in having Hoult on screen as much as possible without the blue fur.

Purely an exercise in having Hoult on screen as much as possible without the blue fur.

Yeah I'd agree with you there. Obviously the film makers don't want one of their main people covered up for the whole film.

I preferred Beast's look in the last film compared to now.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvc2YSbt5PaCYfIkOQpSlKETOKAOApxPDhuLhrw62SWj6dSSI1yA

xx-men-days-of-future-past-beast-bio.jpg.pagespeed.ic.6hkREQGXoH.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Yeah I'd agree with you there. Obviously the film makers don't want one of their main people covered up for the whole film.

I preferred Beast's look in the last film compared to now.

xx-men-days-of-future-past-beast-bio.jpg.pagespeed.ic.6hkREQGXoH.jpg

The new look is closer to Kelsey Grammer in Last Stand though

MV5BMTkyMTYyMzk2MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTczMDY5NA@@._V1._SX375_SY500_.jpg

I've just remembered how awesome Grammer looked!!

Between this and Quicksilver I'm starting to think that maybe, just maybe, Singer might not be as competent as I thought. :eek: Purely an exercise in having Hoult on screen as much as possible without the blue fur.

Don't see what the issue is. Beast is supposed to be one of the smartest people in the world so it's not all that shocking that he could come up with something to help control his transformation. Would like to see something if a Jekyll/Hyde dynamic to the two roles.

Don't see what the issue is. Beast is supposed to be one of the smartest people in the world so it's not all that shocking that he could come up with something to help control his transformation. Would like to see something if a Jekyll/Hyde dynamic to the two roles.

Ah I think think that's great to be honest.

What was good about Beast was that despite his intelligence he couldn't reverse his transformation ( even causing it to get worse ) but he always kept his humanity

I'd love to see Grammer pop up in the film or at the very least in the sequel. He was great as Beast and even his deleted scenes were brilliant.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I thought the Beast make-up in First Class was some of the worst I've ever seen in a hollywood blockbuster, think the new one and the one in X3 look way better.

I thought the Beast make-up in First Class was some of the worst I've ever seen in a hollywood blockbuster, think the new one and the one in X3 look way better.

While the make wasn't the best, I still think a more animalistic Beast is better. He looks like a blue werewolf in the shots from the new one

• Advertisement

I'd love to see Grammer pop up in the film or at the very least in the sequel. He was great as Beast and even his deleted scenes were brilliant.

Close your eyes and its like Frasier

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

While the make wasn't the best, I still think a more animalistic Beast is better. He looks like a blue werewolf in the shots from the new one

That's always the way I've pictured beast I suppose because of the cartoons. He always just looked like a blue Wolverine to me.

Close your eyes and its like Frasier

Beast always had the sophisticated, snobbish feel to him and Grammer was the perfect choice for the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Beast always had the sophisticated, snobbish feel to him and Grammer was the perfect choice for the role.

Yea, he certainly sounded and acted the part. I dont think he looked it though. I didnt like the blue skin, I thought beast should have a look of more very short blue fur all over, like a boxer dog. Also I would have preferred if he had the build of a very large AFL quaterback.

Beast has mutated so so many times in the comics I think there is precedent for singer to add in what he wants to but he is treading fairly close to Hulk territory.
    http://comicsalliance.com/beast-hank-mccoy-mutations-list-x-men/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

The more I see the more I worry...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I think that with an ensemble like this, we won't even see too much of beast to be bothered by his make up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,880 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ellen Page you was supposed to have been cut from the film gets centre stage on the poster.
    movies-x-men-days-of-future-past-poster.jpg

Oh FFS is that real??

Another Wolverine central POS

Ellen Page you was supposed to have been cut from the film gets centre stage on the poster.

Was it not Anna Paquin who was cut? Or has Page been cut also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Page hasn't been cut, she's supposed to be pretty central to the time travel plot. Paquin has though

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Was it not Anna Paquin who was cut? Or has Page been cut also?

Yes you are right my mistake.

Trailer looks rather good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Professor X just whacked in there at the front looks incredibly weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Oh FFS is that real??

Another Wolverine central POS

X-Men: Boobs of Future Claws,guest starring the other mutants you don't really care about.

Trailer looks rather good.

MUCH better than the first IMO.

:D

nice hinting at the sentinels without actually revealing alot about them and nimrod looks weirdly great.

im alot more jazzed for this one now.

(plus it was cool to see iceman icesliding :D:D:D )

• Advertisement

wait what Nimrod? Must resist urge to look at trailer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Watching that trailer, two things strike me: one, I get a distinct 'last stand' vibe from those future scenes so I wonder if all those cameos will be dying ones - it would certainly emphasise the stakes if Wolverine knew all his friends were now dead - and two, could this film then act as a stealth reboot for the X-Men franchise? It's clear enough the plot is about changing the future, so assuming this last-gasp plan is successful, it could involve the Stewart / McKellen timeline getting erased. It'd certainly allow Fox more wriggle-room to expand the franchise and not step on the toes of the original X-Men trilogy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Poster looks like a Winter Solider ripoff/mock up

pixelburp wrote: »
    Watching that trailer, two things strike me: one, I get a distinct 'last stand' vibe from those future scenes so I wonder if all those cameos will be dying ones - it would certainly emphasise the stakes if Wolverine knew all his friends were now dead - and two, could this film then act as a stealth reboot for the X-Men franchise? It's clear enough the plot is about changing the future, so assuming this last-gasp plan is successful, it could involve the Stewart / McKellen timeline getting erased. It'd certainly allow Fox more wriggle-room to expand the franchise and not step on the toes of the original X-Men trilogy.

I think they said from the start that this is a deliberate retconning of the franchise with an emphasis on erasing the third film at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

The was the intention made by some of the makers of the film last year clear up continuity between last stand and first class and start a new film series

I think they said from the start that this is a deliberate retconning of the franchise with an emphasis on erasing the third film at least.

Ah ok, makes sense about the third film and now that you say it sounds familiar to me; I just wonder if they're going to go the whole hog and reboot the entire timeline. Seems like a cleaner solution as even now the mythology feels messy going from First Class into X-Men 1.

Ah ok, makes sense about the third film and now that you say it sounds familiar to me; I just wonder if they're going to go the whole hog and reboot the entire timeline. Seems like a cleaner solution as even now the mythology feels messy going from First Class into X-Men 1.

It would be no harm, would even give them a chance to have a proper go at the Phoenix saga, though I'd rather they stick to unused storylines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Pretty happy with that trailer. I liked the first one too, mainly due to the music they used but this one has upped the action nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭brevity

I looked at the poster and felt a little bit let down, thought it was going to be another Wolverine movie which is not what they should be making. The trailer is actually quite good and seems to set up a nice premise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That poster is terrible. I mean, really bad. It looks like someone in an Arts Club made it.

Also, not checking out any trailers (since the initial one). Gonna go into this RAW!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

That poster is terrible. I mean, really bad. It looks like someone in an Arts Club made it.

Also, not checking out any trailers (since the initial one). Gonna go into this RAW!!!

First Class poster was even worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Professor X just whacked in there at the front looks incredibly weird

Looks like he's propelled by explosive farts. taken from a poster on another website. Now, it's all I see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Have to agree that the new trailer gives me the impression that alot of the ensemble cast will be cameos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

All the photos of this look a bit camp, but the trailer looks good though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

This isn't doing the film build-up any favours!

World-building?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The more I see of him the more I think Quicksilver just looks ridiculous, he looks like he wandered in off something from a German kids TV show.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    The more I see of him the more I think Quicksilver just looks ridiculous, he looks like he wandered in off something from a German kids TV show.

He looks ****!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Somehow I think we'll all be remembering the Avengers Quicksilver, not this one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

rockbeast wrote: »
    This isn't doing the film build-up any favours!

World-building?

So bad. So, so, very bad.

Looks like a £ shop wig and someone spray painted and old leader jacket silver badly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement