Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky: "Protesters Storm Irish Parliament"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

bijapos wrote: »
    Interesting title to the thread.... "Irish Parliament" sometimes known as the Dail. ;)

Lol I knew someone would mention that. I was paraphrasing from Sky :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 AshaD

Just looked up the protest outside the Dail. 500 protesters, 100 stormed the gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

bijapos wrote: »
    I think they mean that 40 of the demonstrators attempted to enter the Dail. There were a lot more in the demo itself.

Interesting title to the thread.... "Irish Parliament" sometimes known as the Dail. ;)

Sorry to be pedantic but the "Irish Parliament" is known as the 'Houses of the Oireachtas' of which 'Dáil Éireann' is the lower house and 'Seanad Éireann' is the upper house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

sink wrote: »
    Sorry to be pedantic but the "Irish Parliament" is known as the 'Houses of the Oireachtas' of which 'Dáil Éireann' is the lower house and 'Seanad Éireann' is the upper house.

I'm sorry too - but feel free to post all your comments in Irish. Do you also prefer when the English call the country Éire?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Put down them handbags.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

fontanalis wrote: »
    It would have indeed been fun to watch the Gardai knock the last few brain cells out of their heads.

Better the Gardaí should have gone in with them and cracked a few skulls inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

bmaxi wrote: »
    Better the Gardaí should have gone in with them and cracked a few skulls inside.

Believe me I'm no fan of the gombeens but what did the Judean Peoples Front expect; break some furniture and all the debt would disappear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

• Registered Users Posts: 81,851 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Protesters have clashed with police as they tried to break through the gates of the Irish parliament during a march against bank bailouts.

Dozens of people broke away from the demonstration and ran at the gates of Leinster House, the parliament's main building.

They wrestled with police who tried to force them back in a bid to secure the gate.

It has been reported that at least one man suffered a cut to his head during the scuffles as organisers appealed for calm.

The protest march had been arranged by the Right To Work Campaign.

The coalition of political parties, trade unions and community groups is opposed to the Irish government's handling of the financial crisis.

They have argued against plans to inject billions of euros into the country's banks.

Police have said no arrests were made and the disturbance was brought under control "within minutes".
    http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Irish-Parliament-Stormed-By-Protesters-Marching-Against-Plans-To-Inject-Billions-Into-Ireland-Banks/Article/201005215630078?lpos=World_News_First_World_News_Article_Teaser_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15630078_Irish_Parliament_Stormed_By_Protesters_Marching_Against_Plans_To_Inject_Billions_Into_Ireland_Banks

Somehow im not surprised that the Irish Propaganda Device isn't covering this on the TV tonight.

Say what you will about the US Media but they aren't owned subsidiaries of the state.

Only this snip online:
    A number of people were injured tonight at the Dáil after a disturbance broke out at the gates of Leinster House.

Gardaí say a group of 500 people were protesting when about 100 of them broke away and tried to force their way into the gates of the Dáil.

Gardaí on duty at the Dáil forced them back.
    Advertisement

Some gardaí drew their batons and a number of protestors were injured.

The group is believed to have been protesting against the Government plans to inject billions of euros into the country's banks

- RTE

duckysauce wrote: »
    what have the irish government ever done for us ?:P

oh wait

gave all our money to another country

gave all our money to a f0cked bank

gave all our money to f9cked developers

but what have the irish government ever done for us :cool:

• Advertisement

duckysauce wrote: »
    what have the irish government ever done for us ?:P

Or more to the point what have the pople we elected because they were the children of other people who done nothing for us ever done for us?

built a motorway from dublin to galway , or was that eu funded , and what about the sewers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I think at this point a little bit of revolution wouldn't go amiss. It appears that changing the signs and letterheads of the Department for Social Equality is going to cost us €35,000 based on a silly whim of our inept government.

I wouldn't mind, as a taxpayer, paying €70,000 to see a few of the fittings in the Dail thrown out the window. Might switch our politicians on to one or two things.

And, for note, I'm not a mad crazy communist who thinks we need to continue spending free willy nilly and to hell with the banks. Quite the opposite.

But our political class, all of them, need a sharp shock to the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

This was only done by a few because of the embarrassment caused by Greece taking the piss out of us last week with their chants during the protest. We had ample opportunity to stand up to this joke of a government but we rolled over like little dogs, and instead rang into Joe Duffy and had a bitch on the Frontline

Nijmegen wrote: »
    I think at this point a little bit of revolution wouldn't go amiss. It appears that changing the signs and letterheads of the Department for Social Equality is going to cost us €35,000 based on a silly whim of our inept government.

I wouldn't mind, as a taxpayer, paying €70,000 to see a few of the fittings in the Dail thrown out the window. Might switch our politicians on to one or two things.

And, for note, I'm not a mad crazy communist who thinks we need to continue spending free willy nilly and to hell with the banks. Quite the opposite.

But our political class, all of them, need a sharp shock to the system.

100% agree but acting liek a pack of animals won't do it, not re-electing them would.

I don't know which is worse. That these morons "stormed" the Dail or that there's morons on here that think it's great :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Anonymous1987

Shame on us for trying to pay back our debt :rolleyes:. Exactly what does any of this achieve besides venting frustration, its no different than calling into Joe Duffy except it gives global markets the impression we cant hold things together which effectively means higher higher debt repayments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

That's just not a sufficient way to protest against the government

If you wish to protest, do it in a democratic manner.

These unions and workers campaigns and so on are giving me a pain in the backside.

Ooh, let's have a protest, have a speech where we say we will do loads, and then do f all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Viva la Revolution

Viva la Revolution

yeah, with any luck Ireland will be like the island paradise of Cuba.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,366 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes atleast our health system would be sorted, cheap cigars too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

I was only buzzing really :)

Still, Cuba http://www.happyplanetindex.org/explore/global/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Shame on us for trying to pay back our debt :rolleyes:. Exactly what does any of this achieve besides venting frustration, its no different than calling into Joe Duffy except it gives global markets the impression we cant hold things together which effectively means higher higher debt repayments.
    The issue is not paying back our debt. We need harsh cuts, I think. But we also need to take our political class to account, for many things.

We can't get elections in three constituencies that miss a TD. "Not for the government to decide," we're told. Frankly, a lie. The house voted under the whip along government party lines.

We've poured questionable billions into areas like Anglo that perhaps could have been left out of our otherwise nessecary bailouts - all the while, Anglo executives, our politicians and our regulators were in cosy cabaal. Bank chiefs meeting our leader mere days before their organizations came to him to ask for billions of your, my money... What a cosy relationship between them all, and where are they now? Off with their foreign assets, or collecting their generous state pensions, or still in the Dail, lying.

Paying our debt is not the issue. Dealing with our morally corrupt upper echelons is.

think that needs to be recalibrated

Yes atleast our health system would be sorted, cheap cigars too :D

I saw a WHO report that had Cuba at 38th, think the healthcare thing is a bit of a myth.

Must be the banana boats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I for one welcome our new lefty hippy overlords!

or am I premature in doing so??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

I saw a WHO report that had Cuba at 38th, think the healthcare thing is a bit of a myth.

who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Its now two hours since the story broke. It took RTE about 25 mins to mention it but it was no "storming" of the Dail, more of a scuffle at the gates. Not exactly the Bastille. Personally I'd rather wait the 25 mins and have a solid unsensational broadcast than a quick "breaking news" shock horror type of report. Sky news went back to the reporter later and they had actually very little to say as it was all over by then.

Regarding the peaceful protestors, IMO fair play to them for going out and demonstrating, its probably better than shouting at Joe Duffy et al or hacking a keyboard to death on boards.ie or some other similar forum. ;)

It seems there were 800-1000 people in the demo. Judging by those who organised it, some of them are community groups who would be abhorred by any form of violence and would have nothing to do with those who may have gone there with trouble in mind. I also think that the majority of the 100 who tried to run the gates would have done no more than a sit down demo in the Dail car park, I do not see them smashing the Dail up or otherwise. I think that a lot of this has been sensationalised and am sure this will be reflected in the newspaper headings tomorrow.

Not the first time Sky have been involved in sensationalising a story, heres something from a similar broadcaster: :pac:

http://www.youtube.com/v/9U4Ha9HQvMo&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param

Advertisement