Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety and the rules/regulations/law of open road racing.

Options
  • 16-02-2015 2:46pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

daragh_ wrote: »
    True, but in A3 lads ride through. In A4 there's a lot of riding halfway up the bunch, running out of steam and just sitting there. :)
    Just had a quick look around the 5-6 minute mark - they clearly thought they could take up the full width of the road with no consideration the road was not closed (and there was plenty of oncoming traffic that fortunately pulled up)

MOD EDIT: Based on the discussion kicking off on the subject, I am making a general thread on the subject for people to rant, vent or ignore as they see fit.

On a personal note, all I will add is this, report it to the comms if you see it and you found it dangerous, report it. CramCycle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Beasty wrote: »
    Just had a quick look around the 5-6 minute mark - they clearly thought they could take up the full width of the road with no consideration the road was not closed (and there was plenty of oncoming traffic that fortunately pulled up)

Aye the wind on the outbound leg was a brisk cross headwind coming from the left, this encouraged the bunch to spread from left to right with the most shielded positions being way out on the wrong side of the road. The Moto marshall to be fair rode up and pushed people in on several occasions but was largely ignored.

Also how much would it cost CI to buy a few Go Pros and have the Comms take numbers from the evidence after the race and issue some DQ's or bans? This would sort wrong side riding out double time.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

What about wrong side riding when there's no white line? On narrow roads, a bit tricky to show.

Koobcam wrote: »
    What about wrong side riding when there's no white line? On narrow roads, a bit tricky to show.

No ROTR are being contravened in that case so everyone gets a pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Good god man do want us all to line out 2 abreast ,there no drama in the a3 cars were called in advance the race was lead by a lead car with flashing beacon to give ample warning to on coming traffic of a wide load approaching and motorman was on hand to encourage riders to ride on the correct side after they had made a pass
    Riders are not going to ride in the wind and thats whats going there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Good god man do want us all to line out 2 abreast ,there no drama in the a3 cars were called in advance the race was lead by a lead car with flashing beacon to give ample warning to on coming traffic of a wide load approaching and motorman was on hand to encourage riders to ride on the correct side after they had made a pass
    Riders are not going to ride in the wind and thats whats going there

Are you making excuses for that behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

I don't think he is, but the day no one can cross the white line is the day road racing dies.

Raam wrote: »
    I don't think he is, but the day no one can cross the white line is the day road racing dies.

Did you watch the video? Not closed roads.

^^^^
    What raam said

^^^^
    What raam said

So it's ok, in your opinion, for riders to take over the whole road, with scant, if any, consideration for other road users or the ROTR? Advance cars or motorbikes notwithstanding.

• Advertisement

Did you watch the video? Not closed roads.

I've no intention of defending other people's actions. Just be careful what you ask for, because you might get it.

So it's ok, in your opinion, for riders to take over the whole road, with scant, if any, consideration for other road users or the ROTR? Advance cars or motorbikes notwithstanding.

Don't put words in my mouth,
    So 2 abreast it is then , happy now

I've no intention of defending other people's actions. Just be careful what you ask for, because you might get it.

What have I asked for?

What have I asked for?

Your questions are leading to the inevitable conclusion.

Don't put words in my mouth,
    So 2 abreast it is then , happy now

I have not put words in your mouth. You said that lads across the line is in essence, what racing involves, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Plastik

It's great that threads about road races are once again descending into this sort of discussion as soon as the season starts. It's becoming as tiresome as helmet, high-vis and RLJ threads.

Plastik wrote: »
    It's great that threads about road races are once again descending into this sort of discussion again as soon as the season starts. It's becoming as tiresome as helmet, high-vis and RLJ threads.

That's why I'm getting my contribution out of the way early ;)

Your questions are leading to the inevitable conclusion.

Which is?

For the record, I have no issue with a line coming up to pass others, like what happens in general traffic, but to take over the entire road and force other road users off is a bit much.

Plastik wrote: »
    It's great that threads about road races are once again descending into this sort of discussion as soon as the season starts. It's becoming as tiresome as helmet, high-vis and RLJ threads.

It's a fact of road racing here. We are allowed to discuss it. Get over it.

Which is?

For the record, I have no issue with a line coming up to pass others, like what happens in general traffic, but to take over the entire road and force other road users off is a bit much.

Good so. Up to comms to sort out people taking over the full width.

• Advertisement

Good so. Up to comms to sort out people taking over the full width.

Which they never do. The past 3 or 4 years of discussions on here are evidence of that.

Which they never do. The past 3 or 4 years of discussions on here are evidence of that.

Shows the futility of discussion here really. They are the referees so only they can enforce it. Or Johnny Law if he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Plastik

It's a fact of road racing here. We are allowed to discuss it. Get over it.

It's a fact of road racing on open roads. If you've an issue with it either take it upon yourself to take note of the riders and report them to the comms, or else let the comms do their job.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I am pretty sure the discussion we had here about Kilmessan a couple of years ago was noticed by a lot of people in senior positions within road racing in Ireland. I'm equally sure that resulted in attempts to get riders to stop spreading across the road for long sections in races. Some of the photos posted were quite telling. That's one of the problems though - that video is equally telling and sends out a very poor message, both within the cycling community, but perhaps more importantly could be used by people wishing to clamp down on road racing to support their case

I am pretty sure the discussion we had here about Kilmessan a couple of years ago was noticed by a lot of people in senior positions within road racing in Ireland. I'm equally sure that resulted in attempts to get riders to stop spreading across the road for long sections in races. Some of the photos posted were quite telling. That's one of the problems though - that video is equally telling and sends out a very poor message, both within the cycling community, but perhaps more importantly could be used by people wishing to clamp down on road racing to support their case

I'll wager that there is little desire to prevent groups taking too much road width. Something will only be done when their hand is forced.

I'll wager that there is little desire to prevent groups taking too much road width. Something will only be done when their hand is forced.

A race comm with balls. Riders noticed doing the aforementioned. Number noted. Pulled from race. Sanctioned by means of either a fine or more probably, a few races ban. It's that simple, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Agree..the problem is what will force their hand?

https://www.facebook.com/CyclingWeekly/posts/10152707932097634

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Agree..the problem is what will force their hand?

https://www.facebook.com/CyclingWeekly/posts/10152707932097634

Not even this, if past evidence from here is the result of how a death was responded to. The organisers simply must do more and should do more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Two dozen riders were sanctioned in a race in Mayo last year; the entire peleton was over the line in a driving crosswind from the left, but only a certain number were penalised, which seemed harsh at the time.

In that scenario, which was very similar to certain stretches of yesterdays race, I take it that you would be the one guy heroically hugging the left side., as the pace line disappears up the road... Yes, you rode on the left. Fair play. But probably on your own, maybe 20mins behind at the end on a windy day.

If I was honest, yesterdays race was just about the safest early season gallop I've ridden in recent seasons- enjoyed it.

• Advertisement

JK.BMC wrote: »
    Two dozen riders were sanctioned in a race in Mayo last year; the entire peleton was over the line in a driving crosswind from the left, but only a certain number were penalised, which seemed harsh at the time.

In that scenario, which was very similar to certain stretches of yesterdays race, I take it that you would be the one guy heroically hugging the left side., as the pace line disappears up the road... Yes, you rode on the left. Fair play. But probably on your own, maybe 20mins behind at the end on a windy day.

If I was honest, yesterdays race was just about the safest early season gallop I've ridden in recent seasons- enjoyed it.

There's nothing heroic about it. Leave your sarcasm at the door. Your logic is flawed.

Advertisement