Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CHINESE RECIPES. Read first post for recipes before posting!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭jassha

lemeister wrote: »
    Hi Jassha,

Also looking for a recipe for beef in oyster sauce if you have one please.

Cheers

For the beef oyster u can use the recipe for beef black pepper and omit the cracked black pepper and double the oyster sauce. Love this myself especially with a handful of pak choi thrown in..

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

Fantastic thread, starving after reading thru it, will def be trying out some of your recipes, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Paul24

Jassha,

Do you have a good recipe for Yuk Sung.

It's lovely as a starter and the kids love it wrapped in the lettuce.

The recipe's so far have been great. Appreciate all you work.

Thanks,

Paul24

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭timeforachange

OMG this is without a doubt the best thread I have ever came across!!! Where have you been all my life?!?!

I cannot wait to get started on these recipes!!
    My all time fave chinese dish is chicken curry.... I spotted your recipe and was wondering has anybody made it here and how did it go? I plan to do it over the weekend but it seems to make such a big batch that I might try reducing the ingredients a bit to try making a smaller version at first to make sure I like it! Im a terrible cook to be honest so I hope I don't mess it up!

Does anyone have pics of any of these recipes they made? (preferably the chicken balls or curry?!) I always find if I have a picture to work with it helps me a bit!!

Thank you so so soooooo much for these recipes!!!
    Theres a few more that I LOVE from the chinese that I might mention here and see if you have any recipes handy for them but no pressure!

I LOVE!!! .....
    spicy shredded chicken......
    fortune chicken/fortune mushrooms (this is in my local chinese ... the mushrooms or chicken are in a kinda of batter ish coating and then theres this type of mayo like sauce on them)......
    chicken curry rolls

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

My all time fave chinese dish is chicken curry....

Me too.....but I really just want the recipe for a "Chinese Takeaway" curry sauce - would this be a simpler recipe than the one posted earlier?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Me too.....but I really just want the recipe for a "Chinese Takeaway" curry sauce
    You can get ready blended pastes which are VERY similar. I add in a roughly chopped onion too as that is what I am used to in the takeaway chicken curry.

There is a thread here about the sauces
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055896676

I would recommend goldfish brand "Chinese hot & spicy", I made some up for a few mates as a sample dip and they were shocked that it was so similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭timeforachange

rubadub wrote: »
    You can get ready blended pastes which are VERY similar. I add in a roughly chopped onion too as that is what I am used to in the takeaway chicken curry.

There is a thread here about the sauces
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055896676

I would recommend goldfish brand "Chinese hot & spicy", I made some up for a few mates as a sample dip and they were shocked that it was so similar.

Im going to go in search of the goldfish one tomorrow I cant wait to give it a go!

lemeister wrote: »
    Hi Jassha,

I'm looking for the technique for salt and chili ribs - presumably the spice mix is the same as for the chicken wings, but I'd like to know how to cook the ribs to get the right texture and when the spice mix should be added, etc.

Cheers

Use the recipe to cook the ribs further back in the thread.
    Mix the ribs with some beaten egg and then toss in potato flour
    Deep fry for 3 to 4 mins until nice and crisp
    Then proceed as for chicken wings
    Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

lorweld wrote: »
    Have you got a recipe for chicken & sweetcorn soup please love this from a Chinese tia

Massive bump! :) This thread is gold, would love to see a few posts on the delicious soups available in many takeaways, particularly sweetcorn with or without chicken/crab, but not forgetting those other gems of wontons and hot n sour soups, or any others deemed important by the OP but currently slipping my mind. Loving your work.

Paul24 wrote: »
    Jassha,

Do you have a good recipe for Yuk Sung.

It's lovely as a starter and the kids love it wrapped in the lettuce.

The recipe's so far have been great. Appreciate all you work.

Thanks,

Paul24

You will need
    Minced pork fried and drained of excess fat
    Minced waterchestnuts
    Minced garlic
    Chopped scallions
    Chilli flakes
    Oyster sauce
    Splash of wine
    Dark soya sauce
    Sesame oil

Hot wok
    add the minced garlic, oyster sauce, and a few chilli flakes
    add the pork and the waterchestnuts
    add splash of wine
    season with salt and pepper
    add scallions
    add dark soy
    add a few drops of sesame oil

enjoy

for the crunchy vermichelli just deep fry some uncooked rice noodles for 5 or 6 seconds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 bellsapiper

Do you have a recipe for chinese salad? more for the dressing than anything,only had it twice,once in San Fran and once in Spain,I have never seen it on a menu in Ireland! Its a very sweet dressing,but not sweet and sour.

thanks,would love if you could help

Do you have a recipe for chinese salad? more for the dressing than anything,only had it twice,once in San Fran and once in Spain,I have never seen it on a menu in Ireland! Its a very sweet dressing,but not sweet and sour.

thanks,would love if you could help

Is it a little spicy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bellsapiper

Not so much spicy but def has a kick,mostly sweet,like over the top sweet,most of my family felt it was like eating watery icing sugar! Im sorry I know it sounds mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

jassha wrote: »
    This is a recipe for szechwan sauce that can be used for meat, fish ,veg , fowl.
    U will need
    hot bean sauce (asian food shop)
    light soya sauce
    vinegar
    sugar
    wine

Mix 2 spoon hot bean
    8 spoon light soya sauce
    4 spoon vinegar
    4 spoon sugar
    1 spoon wine
    Might be a stupid question but what type of vinegar should I be using here?

Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

viking wrote: »
    Might be a stupid question but what type of vinegar should I be using here?

Thanks a million.

Ok, I ended up using 2 spoons of standard white vinegar, diluted with 2 spoons of water and a pinch of sugar. The szechuan was beautiful, many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭flan59

Made the Sweet & Sour Sauce tonight added a little too much ginger but it was great, got some great ingredients for more recipes in Spice World on the Quay in Waterford, never knew there were so many different spices.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭What? Oh Rly!

How do you make that yummy curry sauce?

viking wrote: »
    Ok, I ended up using 2 spoons of standard white vinegar, diluted with 2 spoons of water and a pinch of sugar. The szechuan was beautiful, many thanks!

Sorry for lackof reply but been working all over he hols. normal white vinegar is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

I made your sweet & sour sauce. It was absolutely delicious. I reduced the weights given in your recipe , but used the same ratio of ingredients. I have some sauce in a jar in fridge for next week also.

I intend making the beef with black pepper sauce and then trying the oyster variation you also suggested.

Many thanks Jassha for taking the time to share your recipes and your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭flan59

Got ready Salted Black Beans in the oriental Shop at Jervis St today, what do I need to add or do to make genuine Chicken in Black Bean Sauce, other than chicken and veg?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

flan59 wrote: »
    Got ready Salted Black Beans in the oriental Shop at Jervis St today, what do I need to add or do to make genuine Chicken in Black Bean Sauce, other than chicken and veg?

The recipe has already been discussed several times. Please read the thread.

(Hint: It's on the first page)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Beef in black pepper sauce?

Teach me please!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

Terrytibbs, the details are a couple of pages back on this thread.

Love this one myself and will be trying it, just need to get in the ingredients later in week.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

jassha wrote: »
    You will need
    Minced pork fried and drained of excess fat
    Minced waterchestnuts
    Minced garlic
    Chopped scallions
    Chilli flakes
    Oyster sauce
    Splash of wine
    Dark soya sauce
    Sesame oil

Hot wok
    add the minced garlic, oyster sauce, and a few chilli flakes
    add the pork and the waterchestnuts
    add splash of wine
    season with salt and pepper
    add scallions
    add dark soy
    add a few drops of sesame oil

enjoy

for the crunchy vermichelli just deep fry some uncooked rice noodles for 5 or 6 seconds

Made it today and it was the biz :D

Served it in iceberg lettuce leaves with the crunchy vermicelli on top

Your wok must be a lot hotter than mine though. I deep fried the (first batch of) rice vermicelli for 10 seconds and they were still rock hard. Fried all the other batches for 30 seconds assuming that would have done the trick. Wrong! Still way too hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

nesbitt wrote: »
    Terrytibbs, the details are a couple of pages back on this thread.

Love this one myself and will be trying it, just need to get in the ingredients later in week.
    Should have read back, Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

jassha is the MT Cranium of the cooking forum. Thanks for all the recipes, it's a great resource.

flan59 wrote: »

follow the black bean recipe further back but be careful with seasoning cos of the fact they are salted beans..

unkel wrote: »
    Made it today and it was the biz :D

Served it in iceberg lettuce leaves with the crunchy vermicelli on top

Your wok must be a lot hotter than mine though. I deep fried the (first batch of) rice vermicelli for 10 seconds and they were still rock hard. Fried all the other batches for 30 seconds assuming that would have done the trick. Wrong! Still way too hard.

sounds stupid but make sure u are using rice noodles for the vermicelli also sold as rice stick, they should puff up after a few seconds in a deep fat fryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

How do you cook chicken in the take away's???? It's always lovely and succelent from my local Chinese, is it fried on a wok? Poached??? This for a curry now.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Davexirl wrote: »
    How do you cook chicken in the take away's???? It's always lovely and succelent from my local Chinese, is it fried on a wok? Poached??? This for a curry now.

Thanks
    Normally it's boiled as full breasts, then chopped up and used when required.

Advertisement