Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I was setting up a few of these earlier in the week in work for a client. A really nice bit of kit ....but I've no room for one(I KNOW its small) :(

If you press F10 when it appears it will use smart configuration which makes it a doddle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

I just took the plunge and bought one on dabs, €175 with 4gb ram, happy enough with the Deal as I would have removed the 250gb and bought more ram. This way I can put the cash towards buying drives.

Am a complete beginner when it comes to this kinda thing so will probably have to read this thread from scratch. Planning to use it for plex and maybe some music streaming but gotta try figure out what OS to put on before I even start!

This thread is a mess and it's very focused on buying. You'd be better off with the wiki, below. There's a thread on AVforums too which is much more informative.

http://n40l.wikia.com/wiki/HP_MicroServer_N40L_Wiki

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭valen

Good luck with Plex. I've a slightly slower N36L based on, and I can't use it as a Plex server - even when I disable transcoding video, it still seems to transcode audio, and it isn't fast enough to transcode a single stream. It's OK for 480p stuff with stereo, but 720p with DTS or 5.1 stutters unusably. Seems you'd need a Gen8 to do it smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭blabley

valen wrote: »
    Good luck with Plex. I've a slightly slower N36L based on, and I can't use it as a Plex server...
    Got an N40L with 6Gb RAM on standard SATA 250Gb running Win 8.1 u1, latest Plex Media Server and Plex runs both via the local Plex client and via WiFi perfectly.

I never had a problem with my 40 either, or the current 54 of course, and I don't think the 36 was that much slower?

I forgot to turn WiFi on at home the other day and used the Android app over 3G, only noticed because the quality wasn't as good as usual. No choppiness or stutter except when it was getting started. Current machine has 16GB of RAM, which doesn't hurt. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭randombar

Selling my N40L case if anyone is interested.

Mobo is dead but everything else is fine and dandy.

http://www.adverts.ie/towers/hp-microserver-n40l-for-parts/5889142

Usual boardsie discount applies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

GaryCocs wrote: »

would be interested in the RAM, what type and what speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭blabley

In Cork week after next, will drop you a PM with details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭long_b

scartboy wrote: »
    Just seen the Gen 7 N54L MicroServer with 4GB RAM (one stick) and no HD or DVD on offer at ServerPlus for £109.95 plus VAT.

Works out at €163.46 before delivery from ServersPlus.

From dabs.ie it's €173.08 including VAT and delivery

For some reason I can't pull the trigger on this lad.
    Guess I've got too many old machines kicking around that could be repurposed to do a similar job.

What's the cheapest Windows OS you can buy ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Probably against the rules, but I'll be flogging a N36L and a N40L next week. If anyone is interested before then let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

I've just upgraded my drives so I have 3tb across the board.

If anyone is interested in a WD Red 2tb drive that's had an easy life then please PM me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Imported but

Did you get any takers on the 2 TB Red? Any warranty left on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

looking to buy a microserver over the next few months, at what price range would previous purchasers suggest they become bargains again?
    i see the original post was 140gbp after cashback and current prices are around that so are these just a general good buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 p4xel

I just took the plunge and bought one on dabs, €175 with 4gb ram, happy enough with the Deal as I would have removed the 250gb and bought more ram. This way I can put the cash towards buying drives.

Am a complete beginner when it comes to this kinda thing so will probably have to read this thread from scratch. Planning to use it for plex and maybe some music streaming but gotta try figure out what OS to put on before I even start!
    I have mine running Ubuntu Server for over a year now. Not so easy to setup if you don't kow linux, but it is a good way to learn. 14.04 now with 5x2TB (in RAID 5) + 250GB OS + 500GB internal USB drives, 4GB RAM. Software: Sickbeard / Couchpotato / uTorrent / SABNzbd+ / Subsonic / Plex / CrashPlan and OpenVPN

Running like a dream, almost unattended. Couldn't probably run like that on any Windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

p4xel wrote: »
    I have mine running Ubuntu Server for over a year now. Not so easy to setup if you don't kow linux, but it is a good way to learn. 14.04 now with 5x2TB (in RAID 5) + 250GB OS + 500GB internal USB drives, 4GB RAM. Software: Sickbeard / Couchpotato / uTorrent / SABNzbd+ / Subsonic / Plex / CrashPlan and OpenVPN

Running like a dream, almost unattended. Couldn't probably run like that on any Windows.

Can I ask where you fit the fifth HDD? In the ODD slot?

Can I ask where you fit the fifth HDD? In the ODD slot?
    That is exactly what I did. You can buy a craddle that futs 1x 3.5'' HDD and 2x 2.5'' and install it into ODD slot. Hack a BIOS to enable AHCI on ODD SATA port and you can use eSata as well with eSata-Sata cable. This enables you to install 6 drives in total.

I took my 6th drive out, the dangling cable was a kludge too far. :)

daveohdave wrote: »
    I took my 6th drive out, the dangling cable was a kludge too far. :)
    I was considering replacing eSata port on MB with Sata, but just settled with two inches of cable feeding back into the box. I saw people installing extra SAS cards, but I am OK with SATA performace on my small home network. I just added one extra drive instead of replacing all of them with bigger ones. Occam's razor works for now.

I was considering replacing eSata port on MB with Sata, but just settled with two inches of cable feeding back into the box. I saw people installing extra SAS cards, but I am OK with SATA performace on my small home network. I just added one extra drive instead of replacing all of them with bigger ones. Occam's razor works for now.

You can use a port multiplier box on the eSATA if you install the custom BIOS. That will allow you to run 5 drives off the eSATA. I have one waiting for when I run out if space :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭randombar

Reading about the 6TB red drives at the moment, I'm wondering 5x6TB how much more space do you need :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JethroC

Reading about the 6TB red drives at the moment, I'm wondering 5x6TB how much more space do you need :D

I'm about to put 5x6TB drives in mine...already have 4 of the 5 drives full.
    I'll go through the extra drive in a few months :p

30tb should be enough for anybody?

Mate of mine has two Drobos full of 2 or 3 TB disks. Just doesn't believe in deleting.

stimpson wrote: »
    You can use a port multiplier box on the eSATA if you install the custom BIOS. That will allow you to run 5 drives off the eSATA. I have one waiting for when I run out if space :)
    Nope - all those drives will share one channel bandwidth, way too slow to be viable alternative. You want something proper - get some SAS controller and external 8-drive bay.
    30tb should be enough for anybody?
    In RAID0? Hell no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Mate of mine has two Drobos full of 2 or 3 TB disks. Just doesn't believe in deleting.

deleting? What's that? :pac:

Nope - all those drives will share one channel bandwidth, way too slow to be viable alternative. You want something proper - get some SAS controller and external 8-drive bay.

I guess it depends on what you're using it for. If you're just using it as a media server then you're probably only going to spin up one drive at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

vibe666 wrote: »
    deleting? What's that? :pac:

That's where you take out a full Hard drive and pop in an empty one

Quick question:

Would the N54L be a better option to buying a Synology DS1513+?

Stokolan wrote: »

Quick question:

Unless you need to bond 4 Ethernet channels you'll be better off with the N54L

Cheers for that.

I also found a link that shows you how to turn the N54L into a synology nas. But will probably use linux.

• Advertisement

Quick question:

the only reason I'd do that is to take all of them out one at a time and replace with bigger ones to expand the raid array. :D

Also, I've built two freeNAS boxes (7 & 8) and had another pre-built (thecus) NAS, plus windows file servers for my data and I have NEVER been happier since I moved to Synology.

Come to think of it, everyone I personally know with a Synology NAS (6 people off the top of my head) is happier than they were with anything before it.

the only reason to have anything other than a Synology NAS is because you either can't afford one, or you just don't know how good they are and need convincing. :D

they're brilliant, go buy one! :)

EDIT: ooh, or turn a microserver into one! :)

OR get a DS415play (if you're using it at home as a media server) and use the money saved (over the DS1513+) to get bigger disks. :)

I have a 2 bay synology but it doesn't meet my requirements any more so hence looking to upgrade, but the price tag of a ds1513+ compared to the micro server is the big factor.

would be interesting to see how DSM performs on the N54L and if there's anything else it will run on with a little more grunt. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Quick question:

Pro's N54L:
    - You can own a N54L with 10 Terabytes for the price of a Synology without disks -> CHEAP!
    - N54L has PCI-E 1x slot, I used it to put in a mSata SSD drive for the OS but have used it in the past for an extra network card, could use it for GPU as long as it fits.
    - Complete flexibility on the software front

Con's
    - You need to be able to install and tinker with Linux or Freenas or Windows to get the most out of it.
    - Probably slightly less powerful than the Synology as the N54L is now 3 years old. This is rarely a problem for a home appliance. It's is also not powerful enough or small enough for a HTPC (but neither is the Synology)

Personally I would never consider a NAS ever again. They are just too expensive and inflexible for what I need. (1 box does all)

Interested as I am in this topic should a create a new thread until there's a new BA offer for this ?

i don't think so after 113 pages of posts, it's kind of become a "one stop shop" for all things microserver related at this point and it's useful to have all the info in one place. I doubt a mod would fancy picking through all that to separate out the BA stuff from the rest either, it would be a full time job by now. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

IMO this thread should be moved or locked and a new thread for any microserver bargain alerts created. The original brgain has expired and while there is some good info in here it doesnt belong in this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Speaking of Bargain Alerts. Where's the best place to pick up an N54L? Thinking of upgrading my N40L.

Best I've seen so far is €167 on dabs.

I'm really dithering on buying this as I can't seem to get a definitive answer as to how well it does at transcoding video for Plex.

Some say it can handle 1080p video no hassle, some say it struggles.

Anyways, dabs says it's only got a few left if you're dithering too.

EDIT: The cheap 4GB no HDD version that was on dabs.ie is now gone.

stooge wrote: »
    IMO this thread should be moved or locked and a new thread for any microserver bargain alerts created. The original brgain has expired and while there is some good info in here it doesnt belong in this forum.
    The original bargain expired several years ago, BUT it is an ongoing thing with HP and a new one comes up every month or so. if the thread got locked every time the offer expired there'd be a couple of dozen threads for the same thing by now, so locking this thread would be counter-productive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

New microserver offer on, £30 cashback for the month of September from qualifying retailers:

http://www.serversplus.com/pdfs/ms30_sep14.pdf

• Advertisement

People have had cashback OK from serversplus ?
    Do they fit in a Parcel Motel locker ?

long_b wrote: »
    People have had cashback OK from serversplus ?
    Do they fit in a Parcel Motel locker ?

Yes and yes.

£30 is a bit scabby on the cashback though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Yes and yes.

How does it work with the cashback though? I see it's a UK service so I assume you have to use a UK address for the Cheque? Does it have to be received through ParcelMotel? That would make the 30 pounds a bit less interesting.

Also, would the Irish bank take UK cheques?

Sorry for these questions, I've never actually used a cheque in Ireland ;) In Holland they were discontinued 15 years ago when online banking was introduced.

How does it work with the cashback though? I see it's a UK service so I assume you have to use a UK address for the Cheque? Does it have to be received through ParcelMotel? That would make the 30 pounds a bit less interesting.

Also, would the Irish bank take UK cheques?

Sorry for these questions, I've never actually used a cheque in Ireland ;) In Holland they were discontinued 15 years ago when online banking was introduced.

If you email promotions@out-bound.co.uk they will send you a euro claim form.

Don't need it but I've WANTED one for months now .. .cheers OP and Kevin! :)

Total price £137.88 incl VAT and Delivery.

174.43 EUR plus 3.50 for PM

Hoping for about 25 EUR back from the voucher

Parcel Motel is €4 now. ;-)

I'd say the euro cashback is likely to be €40

Parcel Motel is €4 now. ;-)

€3.95! :p

Sorry, I don't play the silly 95/99 game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Sorry, I don't play the silly 95/99 game.

You will if it means the difference between a sweet and a lollipop! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement