Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legality

Options
  • 18-11-2015 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Hi guys over the summer i was working in rural cork and a farmer gave me this how legal is it? It is missing the trigger parts and barrel and stock. Should I turn it in at a garda station

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

They are component parts of firearms and while deactivated they should not be in your possession without a license. The chap that gave them to you should nt have either had them or if authorised should not have given them to you.

Get them to a dealer, NOW.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

BTW it's a criminal offence to have them in your possession so when i say NOW i mean right now, or today at the latest.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

.45auto wrote: »
    Hi guys over the summer i was working in rural cork and a farmer gave me this how legal is it? It is missing the trigger parts and barrel and stock. Should I turn it in at a garda station

give it back to him

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

give it back to him
    You think this hasn't been seen by the PTB already or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭freddieot

For all you know, this could have been used in a crime. Take it to your local Garda Station pronto...

• Advertisement

Crime or not, he has an unlicensed firearm, given to him by someone that either had a license for it and should know better, or didn't and should never have had it to give it to anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 NicholasF

I would definitely bring this down to a registered firearms dealer or Garda Station sooner rather then later.
    Simply it is a firearm or part of and as such you need a license for such.
    Good luck
    Regards
    Nicholas

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

It is missing the trigger parts and barrel and stock...

With respect to part names, what you have is: the receiver, which has a serial number, wooden forestock, and cap.

Legally speaking, the receiver IS a firearm.

Triggers, stocks, barrels, are all parts of the firearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

FISMA, legally speaking in Ireland every part of the firearm is legally a firearm.
    Yes, I know it sounds stupid, but in cases like this it means that what the OP has is legally a firearm regardless of missing bits. If the farmer had given him the barrel with nothing else attached; or a silencer with nothing else; or the trigger mechanism; or any other part of the firearm, then legally he'd be in possession of an unlicenced firearm.

I wouldn't even go to an RFD with that, I'd go straight to the nearest garda station and hand it in. I know most stations don't have secure storage, but in a case like this, I wouldn't even care about that. Put it down on the desk in the station and that's the last time I'd touch it.

There's no upside of any kind in hanging onto that thing in circumstances like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Hopefully we havent got as bad as the UK,where some poor sod found a sawn off shotgun in his back garden that had been chucked by the villans making their getaway,and as a good citizen he took it off to the local police station.Where plod promptly arrested him for being in possesion of an unliscensed and illegal firearm!:eek:..sS to be sure to be sure,you just MIGHT want to take a solicitor down with you to the Garda station with you in case of any unpleasentness.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Crossed my mind when i read the OP hence the reason i said:
    Cass wrote: »
    Get them to a dealer, NOW.

Hope the OP took the advice given to him by all on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Hopefully we havent got as bad as the UK,where some poor sod found a sawn off shotgun in his back garden that had been chucked by the villans making their getaway,and as a good citizen he took it off to the local police station.Where plod promptly arrested him for being in possesion of an unliscensed and illegal firearm!:eek:..sS to be sure to be sure,you just MIGHT want to take a solicitor down with you to the Garda station with you in case of any unpleasentness.

We haven't got that bad. People hand in firearms or bits of them on a regular enough basis. I would suggest the OP follow the advice already given in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

This is probably one of the 'lost' guns quoted in statistics earlier this year.

Advertisement