Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fade Street (Ireland's answer to 'The Hills')

• 06-11-2010 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭

Just saw an advert for this. Looks like an Irish version of the Hills/ Jersey Shore with a bunch of D4 heads. In an age where the licence fee has climbed to 160 euro and we are deep in recession is it a lot to ask that the public service broadcaster not rehash American ideas badly? I don't think that people who probably barely go outside the door to the pub or any social outlet really want to see these people lead their lives, let along pay for the privilege.

I'll credit RTE where it's due, The Frontline isn't a bad show (at least the Irish public get their voices heard in some capacity) and their series Freefall was an excellently made documentary, whatever your thoughts on its merits. But 5% of the licence fee goes to TG4 (along with various grants and commercial funding before anyone glibly points that out!) and they manage to produce a better standard of drama that RTE does with any of its shows! They've had better ideas in several areas in 13 years with Paisean Faisean, Deis Roc, etc. than RTE has had in ! In the past year, RTE's 50th anniversary it should be noted, we've had 'That's all we have time for', a dire rip off of 'Have I got news for you' which lasted for about two shows, and the biggest embarrassment in the history of Irish television in the shape of 'Your Bad Self'. It's hardly a stretch to make the connection between Brendan Gleeson's son being involved and these guys getting a prime time RTE 2 slot is it? Why is it that Dublin 4 people can monopolise our airwaves and no one makes a problem of it? Why does it take 4 guys from Mayo to prove that quality comedy can be made for nothing? And now another group of D4 heads are going to come along and show us middle and working class people what their exciting lives shopping in Dundrum and Templebar is like? I'm just glad I've got Sky and the TV licence man is an endangered species where I live!!!

Rant over!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

/awaits Richard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Superwhy

I saw an ad on RTE the other day for the Irish version of The Hills but I can't remember what it was called.

Did anybody see it??

I know it's going to be terrible and I'll hate it but I still can't wait to see what it's like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭Fo Real

Do you think RTE cares about your opinion of the show, as long as you watch it? Ratings are all that matter. People like you are the reason RTE's schedule is full of mediocre/poor shows.

If it's crap, don't watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GEKKO135

Fade Street.

really don't know what to make of this, it could possibly be the most cringy thing to air on Irish telly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

fyi - its called fade street. starts this thursday if i'm not mistaken.

would be curious myself as to how bad it will be.

from a cost pov I would imagine its relatively low budget fare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

Fo Real wrote: »
    Do you think RTE cares about your opinion of the show, as long as you watch it? Ratings are all that matter. People like you are the reason RTE's schedule is full of mediocre/poor shows.

If it's crap, don't watch it.

how will he/she really know its crap if he/she doesn't watch it ?

i think that x-factor is crap but that doesn't mean that thousands of people wouldn't disagree with me.

isn't crapness in the eye of the beholder ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭Fo Real

how will he/she really know its crap if he/she doesn't watch it ?

i think that x-factor is crap but that doesn't mean that thousands of people wouldn't disagree with me.

isn't crapness in the eye of the beholder ?

I agree, but the OP said "I know it's going to be terrible and I'll hate it but I still can't wait to see what it's like!"

If you know you're going to hate it, why watch it and then come onto Boards to whinge about it? I don't like X-factor, so I don't watch it. But I don't complain about it on internet forums. If you dislike a show, don't contribute to it's ratings, thereby prolonging the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,553 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It is called Fade Street

It is probably scripted like The Hills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

oh no more Rosanna Davidson, what an annoying tramp!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Superwhy

Fo Real wrote: »
    I agree, but the OP said "I know it's going to be terrible and I'll hate it but I still can't wait to see what it's like!"

If you know you're going to hate it, why watch it and then come onto Boards to whinge about it? I don't like X-factor, so I don't watch it. But I don't complain about it on internet forums. If you dislike a show, don't contribute to it's ratings, thereby prolonging the show.

Jeez relax, I was just asking a question.
    Why bother replying to a thread you have no interest in just to whinge about the poster. I'm sure I have absolutely no interest in your opinion of what I choose to watch on tv, or why I choose to watch it.

It's people like you that make me hate ignorant, overly opinionated people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Saw an ad. Lauren Conrad wannabe seems to be the star. Could RTE be original instead of going for The Hills remake when the original has already run its course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Fade Street threads merged....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

/awaits Richard.

Why :confused: - i won't be watching it, sounds like more crap like The Only Way Is Essex, and i refuse to endorse anything Dawson is involved in :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I think it could be interesting. Gonna give it a shot anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

well, at least they'll have American accents anyways....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Yeah! Can't wait to rip the sh*t out of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

more ****e on rte :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

sniff sniff - anybody smell that? smells like somebody took a massive dump on RTEs schedule. why the fcuk are we made pay a tv license fee for this rubbish?

Who's in it?....will LC make a guest apperance?, now that Speidi are bankrupt mabye RTE could have them on?, i'd bet they accept a couple of grand at this point! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

That's it. I'm leaving. Thought Morgan Kelly's article was a depressing reflection of Ireland but this takes the biscuit..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Just saw an ad for it.

*I don't think I will be able to watch it. It looks awful.

*And this is coming from me who has no shame in admitting that I watch some amount of sh1t on tv. But I think this is just a bit too much sh1t even for me

Oh **** off RTE. The one thing we do not need during a recession is a "reality" TV show portraying some ****head from D4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Bimbo tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Just read an article on RTE where the 'the stars' claim that the show is now scripted and is, unlike the hills, real life.This is absolute nonsense, one of the girls is a hired model.

While we may complain that this show is going to be sh1te but there will be young girls across the country emmulating them after the first episode. More talentless, fake, self obsessed role models to look up to!

More Hardy Bucks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm making a mental note to check this thread tomorrow night to see who watches (despite saying they won't) :)

I think this will be like the Late Late Show. Nobody wants to watch, but they can't help it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In defence of the series - good god did I just type that? - would anyone contributing to this thread be even remotely close to the demographic this show would be aimed at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭odonopenmic

y'know, I probably wouldn't be that far out of their target demographic and my skin crawls at the thought of this.

The Hills and whatever the fashion one in NY is called are dire. Teaching young, impressionable tweens and teens how to use fake tan and become backstabbing b!t*hes is inexcusable but up until now, at least as a small measure of comfort, it wasn't on our shores.

But this! Ollie Rehn at the door, the headline today saying our country will run out of money by July, all the depressing yada yadas.... and now, Fade Street shows up, 5 years too late, splashing consumerism, wealth and greed all over our screens. Am I the only one who thinks this is not only vulgar, but somewhat insulting to the average Irish person about to get screwed in the budget?

Sorry - massive rant - but I can't believe how stupid and ill-conceived a programming decision this is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

I looked at the promo on the shows YouTube channel. I thought it was weird that none of the videos had comments so I left one, basically saying "Yeah, nice one RTE, watching a bunch of D4 heads work sub-apprentice 'internships' while launching their DJ/modelling careers is exactly what we need". My comment is now pending approval, which I doubt will ever be given. I can only imagine all the other comments are similar and not being posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Vim Fuego wrote: »
    I looked at the promo on the shows YouTube channel. I thought it was weird that none of the videos had comments so I left one, basically saying "Yeah, nice one RTE, watching a bunch of D4 heads work sub-apprentice 'internships' while launching their DJ/modelling careers is exactly what we need". My comment is now pending approval, which I doubt will ever be given. I can only imagine all the other comments are similar and not being posted.

And they've got names like Vogue and Cici... in other words this show is about a load of pretentious D4 drama queens with idiotic names trying to be pretendo Yanks. Forget about it RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭lisnsooz

Says on RTE website:
    "The show tracks a varied group of young woman and men from all over the country living in Dublin......The series features a wide cast of characters but ultimately focuses on Louise, Dani, Vogue and CiCi."

No guys in there as main chars then?

Hmmmmm.........

Also - all the photos are pretty well posed with sultry looks. Not like normal photos of people. Smacks of product placement to me.

In fact - promo I saw mentioned something about MCD, and then it says on website:
    "The soundtrack is also central in this Dublin-based series, with all the music featured coming from both new and established Irish artists."

So yeah - more Apprentice style programming with product placement galore. *sigh*

Can't believe have to pay my licence fee cos they finally caught up with me :-(

How do you define "scripted"?....these girls claim it's real and they are not fed lines, that is NOT the definition, in the context of The Hills and "reality" tv scripted means things are staged, events are setup....not that they read from a script!

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2010/1110/fadestreet.html

The producers don't feed them lines but encourage them in a certain direction to ramp up the drama, meeting places are setup, the girls are encourage to create drama and bitching, they are encourage to have fake hookups etc.

So i'm not buying this it's not scripted bullshine.

http://www.blanaid.com/2010/11/fade-street/

The editing and style, 100% The Hills...that blonde girl is a Lauren LC Conrad clone!

http://www.businessandleadership.com/marketing/item/26613-myhome-ie-to-sponsor-fade/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Did they need to get a lead character identical to Lauren Conrad? No. This just stinks of laziness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Is this not basically a rehash of the (presumably) far superior Soupy Norman?

Girl leaves her life behind in the countryside for the bright lights of Dubland and the series charts her not very believable experiences with weird and wonderful characters. Lazy RTE, lazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

DarkJager wrote: »
    And they've got names like Vogue and Cici... in other words this show is about a load of pretentious D4 drama queens with idiotic names trying to be pretendo Yanks. Forget about it RTE.
    I think Vogue is from Howth. I remember a while ago she was in a bar up there and left her bag on a table. I picked it up and gave it back to her, to which she said "Ah Jaysus, you're fookin' savage!" and she wasn't putting on an accent. Funny how TV can change who you are.

Oh, and does anyone know if you can get Soupy Norman anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

token101 wrote: »
    Just saw an advert for this. Looks like an Irish version of the Hills/ Jersey Shore with a bunch of D4 heads. In an age where the licence fee has climbed to 160 euro and we are deep in recession is it a lot to ask that the public service broadcaster not rehash American ideas badly? I don't think that people who probably barely go outside the door to the pub or any social outlet really want to see these people lead their lives, let along pay for the privilege.

What if people do watch it? Is it a waste of money then?

Personally I wont be going near this programme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

I am quite liking that track in the promo above.
    Anyone know the band ?

DarkJager wrote: »

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2010-11-cici-cavanagh--dani-robinson--vogue-wilson--louise-johnson.jpg[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cici Cavanagh, Dani Robinson, Vogue Wilson, Louise Johnson[/FONT]

People keep complaining about how bad this will be, but the disappointing thing about it is that it is going to be hugely successful and will be likely shoved down our throats by the media as a whole.

^ i fear you are right my friend, i suspect alot of the stupid women on Boards will tune in in droves, just so they can pick apart the girls and critique them from head to toe, some of the replies i'm expecting:

I went to school with her, she's a bitch!
    Where did she get her clothes from?, a charity shop?
    The state of her hair!!
    She went out with my best friends cousin and she cheated on him!
    Ugh!, who does she think she is?....stuck up her own arse that wan!

Anyone care to add?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

First I've heard of this!

Though in all fairness hardly anyone would watch it if it was full of average/below average Irish chicks and lads. This will be aimed at those wee teenagers who wish to be models/famous/big thing in the city types. They will probably be the core audience!

Never get to watch the telly so doubt I'll be watching it.

• Advertisement

^ i fear you are right my friend, i suspect alot of the stupid women on Boards will tune in in droves, just so they can pick apart the girls and critique them from head to toe, some of the replies i'm expecting:

The state of her hair!!

Anyone care to add?

Ha! :D
    That's a bit harsh dude.
    I'm sure the lads on boards will be doing just as good a job picking them apart too.

The state of her hair!!

Anyone care to add?

Its not just the females on boards who are catty and biatchy :rolleyes:

^ yeah but man bitching is allowed, if you do it the right way...Big Brother has taught me well :-)

^ yeah but man bitching is allowed, if you do it the right way...Big Brother has taught me well :-)

*ruffles your hair*

Ohhhh you so crazy :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭macman2010

I wouldnt be suprised if those 4 bimbo's are relations of the "top brass" RTE exectutives in some way.
    What are the odds Ryan will be interviewing them on the late late this Friday.

I cannot believe my money is contributing to this tripe...

Thing is that the fact you watch the show to bitch about it means that it will become even more successful. You're much better off just boycotting it completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

its like most things on rte i suspect, nobody will remember it next year. i might have a look before i switch over to hector on tg4 in canadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa wey hey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Youresocute

Ok....ok...ok..so I have seen the ads,seen the people and this is the biggest load of horse**** I have ever EVER come across.Once again proving Ireland is a nation of idiots who can come up with no original television without it being extremely cringey(besides the Rubberbandits)

Americans are Americans.It's ok to look at the Hills and go "ah you are all idiots but you're far away so it's grand" but this is ridiculous!Probably WORSE than X Factor it lacks so much depth.Watching the promo actually makes me sad.These people think they live alternative lifestyles but they do nothing!There is no hard work or creativity applied.

Who says these people are anything special?By the looks of it there seems to be a complete lack of personality..I know I'm judging from a short clip but I'll still be right after it is aired.

It's so frustrating having being fed this complete and utter nonsense.

Ireland needs a revolution now more than it ever did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Youresocute

:0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Looking forward to seeing how bad this turns out.
    If your not into it, just dont watch it. SIMPLES.

• Advertisement
Advertisement