Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The best Chinese take away?

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Most Chinese eateries are pure and utrer rubbish. Rubbery water injected chicken, dodgy hygiene practices, kitchens you can never see, MSG laced glop for sauces.

Get a Thai, Japanese or Asian fusion (such as Mao) instead. Much much better...

Depends on what you like. I'd much rather have a Chinese than any of the latter ones you mentioned. Nice colourful language there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Most Chinese eateries are pure and utrer rubbish. Rubbery water injected chicken, dodgy hygiene practices, kitchens you can never see, MSG laced glop for sauces.

I wish you'd butt out of these types of thread. It's obvious you've a disdain for fast food and sugary food etc. Why do you have to rain on people's parades?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

The black peppered beef in Mao is very tasty, have been 3 or 4 times now and always plan on trying something different but it's hard to pass it up.
    Have been to the Blue Elephant a few times and while ok the quality of the meat in Mao is much better.
    Used to like Camille and get it on occasion but they wouldn't do the larger size on some of their dishes like they do in Phibsborough so started trying a few of the alternatives such as Blue Elephant and now Mao.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Or even better, you stop dictating to people what they should and shouldn't do and let them spend their hard earned money however the hell they want.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

LorelaiG wrote: »
    I wish you'd butt out of these types of thread. It's obvious you've a disdain for fast food and sugary food etc. Why do you have to rain on people's parades?

You obviously don’t know me at all as I have a McDonalds or Burger King a few times a month. Fast food in moderation is fine. I love Mexican Burritos and a good Indian take out. I also enjoy home cooking, salads and Italian cuisine, It’s all about balance.

The standard of Chinese in Ireland is appallingly poor. I’m entitled to hold this opinion and many others share it. Good Chinese cuisine however is worth its weight in gold. The Mandarin Castle in Castleknock is quite good.

Not being preachy, just opining on what I myself think of what passes as Chinese fare and if you want to eat it all day every day, go right ahead. It’s your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

You obviously don’t know me at all as I have a McDonalds or Burger King a few times a month. Fast food in moderation is fine. I love Mexican Burritos and a good Indian take out. I also enjoy home cooking, salads and Italian cuisine, It’s all about balance.

The standard of Chinese in Ireland is appallingly poor. I’m entitled to hold this opinion and many others share it. Good Chinese cuisine however is worth its weight in gold. The Mandarin Castle in Castleknock is quite good.

Not being preachy, just opining on what I myself think of what passes as Chinese fare and if you want to eat it all day every day, go right ahead. It’s your life.

You are being preachy.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OK folks, if you want to discuss the relative merits of one Asian cuisine over another then please take it to PM. However if you want to discuss the best Chinese takeaway in D15 please carry on. Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I like the Castleknock kitchen in Laurel Lodge

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

The black peppered beef in Mao is very tasty, have been 3 or 4 times now and always plan on trying something different but it's hard to pass it up.
    Have been to the Blue Elephant a few times and while ok the quality of the meat in Mao is much better.
    Used to like Camille and get it on occasion but they wouldn't do the larger size on some of their dishes like they do in Phibsborough so started trying a few of the alternatives such as Blue Elephant and now Mao.

What happened to Mao in Blanch, went there a couple of Saturdays ago and it was closed with no notice or info on their doors or website. Back again today and still closed so called into The Greyhoud to see if they'd any info, they didn't have much but did confirm it was closed for good. Website now also has it removed as one of their locations.
    Sorry to see it go, good quality food with nice staff. Thought it was doing ok as always seemed to have a steady turnover the times I've been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Always seemed deserted any time I passed it. Went in there a couple of times and was the only customer or there were only one or two others. I'd say they lost money hand over fist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Think they priced themselves out of the market. I found their food tasty but pricey and meat content was very low. A regular takeaway (Chinese /Indian /Thai) will easily do two dinners for me but not Mao. Plenty of better value around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭Polar101

Used to do takeaway a lot from Mao (the black pepper beef lunchbox was great), but stopped after they increased their delivery cost to €3.75. Also, they've got Diep just around the corner so the competition is there as well.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Ah no, raging about Mao, I liked the odd takeaway from there. Not somewhere you'd really eat in unless you had to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Fancied chinese food for lunch the other day (high stress morning!) but was in Dun Laoghaire - headed into Maos and ordered deep fried either prawns or shrimp in batter with spicy sauce dip. What appeared was rock hard and revoltingly slimy. Had eaten in there a few months back (evening menu) and ordered one of my chineser favourites - satay chicken which was the meanest chicken satay I'd ever gotten and somehow the clue of it being bright green should have been a warning to how poor it was going to taste. A far cry from when they first opened and gave a damn. Lovely helpful service staff but dreadful food.

Regarding chinese food from chineesers the chineser in Sutton Cross across the road from superquinn/value is INCREDIBLE. Pity its too far away from me to sit outside and stalk their chef & kidnap home to be my eternal food slave. Worth doing 20 years for. : )

Advertisement