Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2012 Cooking Club Week 2b: Indian Resturant curries

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭gagomes

Heroditas wrote: »
    Tried the chilli masalla recipe tonight. Turned out exactly the same as the one they cook in Kasturi in Lucan which is my favourite dish there so was delighted with myself.
    Didn't use the Pataks pickle but one I got in Eurasia up in Fonthill today. Certainly did the trick but made the dish just a bit overly salty.

Congrats 'neighbour' :-)

The only dish I tried to replicate which was not particularly easy was their Shashlik, which is my favourite dish from that restaurant. I think I've come some way, but not quite there yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Tried the chilli masalla recipe tonight. Turned out exactly the same as the one they cook in Kasturi in Lucan which is my favourite dish there so was delighted with myself.
    Didn't use the Pataks pickle but one I got in Eurasia up in Fonthill today. Certainly did the trick but made the dish just a bit overly salty.

Great it worked out for you the chilli pickle is a great addition, it really gives it an ummmf :) maybe the brand you got is saltier than patacks...

I had some curries in Kasturi and was always happy with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭Heroditas

gagomes wrote: »
    Congrats 'neighbour' :-)

The only dish I tried to replicate which was not particularly easy was their Shashlik, which is my favourite dish from that restaurant. I think I've come some way, but not quite there yet.

I've always found their shashlik can vary quite a bit. Still nice though.

Great it worked out for you the chilli pickle is a great addition, it really gives it an ummmf :) maybe the brand you got is saltier than patacks...

I had some curries in Kasturi and was always happy with them.

It's a pity its so salty because I also have some salt in the gravy so once the gravy is made, it's hard not to "salt it up".
    I also added a tablespoon of Degi Mirch to give it a bit of a kick! :D

It's a pity its so salty because I also have some salt in the gravy so once the gravy is made, it's hard not to "salt it up".
    :D

next time, maybe leave the salt out of the curry, taste at the end and add some if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jimfinoc

It's a dish that's characterized by intense heat (madras level and above), a thick tomato sauce, some notes of coconut and lemon which make it sweet and sour. It's sri lankan as Curry Addict mentioned.

You are very right. It is commonly found on menus in britain, where I found my love for curry. I described my base recipe in post 462#

Ceylon Chicken

350 ml of base
    2 tbsp of oil
    1 tsp of garlic paste
    1 tsp of ginger paste (optional)
    1 hpd tsp of mix powder
    1.5 tsp of dry methi leaves
    3 tbsp of tom puree (watered down 50/50)
    .5 tsp of salt
    1 tbsp of deggi mirch chilli powder (n.b: adjust depending on which chilli powder you choose. Deggi mirch is in my book a 4/10 hot variety)
    1 fresh green chilli
    1/4 a coconut creamed block (try breaking it into small pieces, so ti cooks/melts faster)
    2 tsp of lemon juice (I prefer fresh, but bottled is fine)
    1 tsp of brown sugar (or to taste, you need to balance the acidity)
    1 tsp of finely chopped coriander
    1 portion of chicken (~160g aka a regular chicken breast)

Method:

Heat a pan for 30 secs, then add the oil and let it come to heat (5-15 secs).
    Add chillies
    Add the 2 spoons of separate g&g, stir until the sizzling stops
    Add mix powder, methi and stir.
    Add lemon and the tomato puree, stir and let the tomato sauce reduce a little
    Add first ladle of base and stir and let it come to temperature.
    Add the coconut creamed block and stir.
    Once it starts bubbling and the coconut is starting to melt and form a creamy texture in your dish, add the chicken.
    Reduce the base, scrape well the sides and bottom to avoid burning/sticking.
    Add coriander
    Add second ladle
    Add sugar, taste for salt/sweetness and serve.

If balanced well, the dish will be covering quite a few spots. Apologies if I missed something in the recipe. I just wrote it on the spot :)

Can you just tell me what the Mix Powder consists of?
    Thanks

jimfinoc wrote: »
    Thanks

mix powder is just another name for curry masala.

Thanks

I use the bruce edwards mix powder, the ratios are:

8 parts coriander powder
    7 parts tumeric powder
    5 parts cumin powder
    4 parts curry powder
    4 parts paprika

It's a dish that's characterized by intense heat (madras level and above), a thick tomato sauce, some notes of coconut and lemon which make it sweet and sour. It's sri lankan as Curry Addict mentioned.

You are very right. It is commonly found on menus in britain, where I found my love for curry. I described my base recipe in post 462#

Ceylon Chicken

350 ml of base
    2 tbsp of oil
    1 tsp of garlic paste
    1 hpd tsp of mix powder
    .5 tsp of salt
    1 tbsp of deggi mirch chilli powder (n.b: adjust depending on which chilli powder you choose. Deggi mirch is in my book a 4/10 hot variety)
    1 fresh green chilli
    1/4 a coconut creamed block (try breaking it into small pieces, so ti cooks/melts faster)

Method:

Add chillies
    Once it starts bubbling and the coconut is starting to melt and form a creamy texture in your dish, add the chicken.
    Add coriander
    Add second ladle

If balanced well, the dish will be covering quite a few spots. Apologies if I missed something in the recipe. I just wrote it on the spot :)

One more question. how much weight is "1/4 a coconut creamed block"

One more question. how much weight is "1/4 a coconut creamed block"

Good question! It's 50g. A whole block is 200g. If you buy the creamed coconut from the brand pataks, available from tesco, it comes in 2 sachets which are split in the middle (if I recall correctly). So you only need half one of the sachets. You can reduce/add more as to your coconut taste preferences. This is used to add texture and that mouthful type sensation, and of course, the coconut fragrance and taste! To be fair, most indian restaurants use coconut flour and not creamed block for cost and speed of service, but I find that it's much harder to get a smooth texture with it and taste wise, it's no different.

N.B: To be fair, it's perfectly fine if you choose to buy from any other brand. I buy KTC. I have not noticed differences between brands. The only thing to bear in mind, is distribution of fat (coconut oil) and coconut solids. If you look at the picture below, there is a part of the coconut block that looks whiter than the rest. That's the fat. You will need some of that, but don't use it all. It's good fat, but it's very caloric and it's not the most flavoursome part of the creamed block.

Oprah-040-620x300.jpg

P.S: I found ceylon curry in the menus of Jewel in the Crown in ballsbridge (one of my favourite curry establishments in Dublin) :-)

• Advertisement

Gagomes, you said you rated Degi Mirch as a 4/10 in terms of heat. Which ones would you rate as much hotter? I'm in the market for a very nice hot powder.

Gagomes, you said you rated Degi Mirch as a 4/10 in terms of heat. Which ones would you rate as much hotter? I'm in the market for a very nice hot powder.

I don't typically buy very hot powder, as I have quite a bit of trouble with gastric reflux, so I am not entirely sure I would be the best person to answer this question :-(

However, I once bought a prepacked mix powder called 'Basar Curry Masala', it's from a pakistani brand Al Noor and 90% or so of it's contents is chilli. Not like the 'chilli powder' you see pre-packed, where the content is a "paprika'ed down" chilli powder to tone down the heat. I used 1/4 of a tsp of this masala and could barely finish the dish.

96f1c6b7461973a2e74d3ccd79db040c.jpg

And for serious heat, I was told by a chilli-head that I met in Birmingham when I had some indian cookery lessons, that Naga Jolokia Chilli Powder
    is the real deal and I'm not surprised as the pepper from which it comes is amongst the top 3 of hottest peppers with something like 1,000,000 scoville units (for comparison, a jalapeno is somewhere between 3,500 and 10,000 scoville units)

You can purchase it online from this site:https://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Naga-Jolokia-Chilli-Powder.html#SID=2215
    If you do buy/try it, please let me know your opinion. If you would like to sample some basar mix, I still have the bag full and I could post you some for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

there is a couple in kinvara galway who grow naga,scotch bonnet,carolina reaper ,trinidadian scorpion chillies ,at the fri market there every week, got a bottle of the scorpion sauce,and the scorpion plant too to grow my own. wont be as intense as the originals but are still mega hot. for those wanting xtra heat and fruity kick

there is a couple in kinvara galway who grow naga,scotch bonnet,carolina reaper ,trinidadian scorpion chillies ,at the fri market there every week, got a bottle of the scorpion sauce,and the scorpion plant too to grow my own. wont be as intense as the originals but are still mega hot. for those wanting xtra heat and fruity kick

It's possible to grow Scorpions as hot as the originals but they need to be kept somewhere that's VERY warm such as a sun room or patio with the temperature consistently well over 20 degrees.

I've grown them in the glasshouse and they are very hot but not as hot as I'd like them to be.

It's possible to grow Scorpions as hot as the originals but they need to be kept somewhere that's VERY warm such as a sun room or patio with the temperature consistently well over 20 degrees.

I've grown them in the glasshouse and they are very hot but not as hot as I'd like them to be.

be getting a proper tunnel next year and will go mad myself trying to create a monster lol

i though i might add this recipe, as people may want some new things to try.
    This is my current addiction it would fit the Hot/very spicy category. The flavors are full on but never get too much imho.

Its definitely my firm favorite at the moment.

Chilli Masala

1 chef spoon vegetable oil.
    1.5tsp tsp ginger/garlic paste
    1.5tbs tomato paste
    (Optional) 4 green chillies(slit down the middle and deseeded)
    1tsp chilli powder
    1tsp fenugreek leaves
    1tbs curry masala
    1tbs Pataks Chilli pickle
    0.75 tsp salt
    1 ladel of curry base
    precooked meats
    1.5-2 ladels curry base
    1tsp lemon juice
    1tbs chopped coriander

Just after finishing a portion of this using half a teaspoon of Carolina Reaper powder instead of regular chili powder.
    Hot...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Curry Addict, by any chance would you have a recipe for
    Chicken Adraki?

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Curry Addict, by any chance would you have a recipe for
    Chicken Adraki?

sorry i dont have

sorry i dont have

Ok CA, thanks anyway.

Any takers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

can I ask about those (ceramic?) curry pans for sale somewhere over in Liffey Valley/Fonthill. Which shop sells them, Im intending to pick up two soon

Muahahaha wrote: »
    can I ask about those (ceramic?) curry pans for sale somewhere over in Liffey Valley/Fonthill. Which shop sells them, Im intending to pick up two soon

Probably Eurasia supermarket? It's up beside Power City. Well worth a visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

curry night tomorrow night, plan on a lamb biryani and a few other curries. would it be ok to cook up the lamb mix tonight then finish off tomorrow with the rice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

blueshed wrote: »
    curry night tomorrow night, plan on a lamb biryani and a few other curries. would it be ok to cook up the lamb mix tonight then finish off tomorrow with the rice.

I think it was said before that any of the pre cooked meats could be frozen for use again (open to correction!). I'm sure if you were to pop them into the fridge, and reheat with the rice when needed, they'd be sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I think it was said before that any of the pre cooked meats could be frozen for use again (open to correction!). I'm sure if you were to pop them into the fridge, and reheat with the rice when needed, they'd be sound.

got sidetracked last night so didn't get a chance, cooking the biryani as i type.

did a chicken madras yesterday, and marinaded chicken tandoori.

today have already cooked a cauliflower and potato curry, mushroom bhaji and prepared the biryani.

next up will finish the biryani plus cook some basmati and boiled rice.

blueshed wrote: »
    got sidetracked last night so didn't get a chance, cooking the biryani as i type.

did a chicken madras yesterday, and marinaded chicken tandoori.

today have already cooked a cauliflower and potato curry, mushroom bhaji and prepared the biryani.

next up will finish the biryani plus cook some basmati and boiled rice.

Any chance of sticking up a few pics when you've done? That all sounds mouth watering!

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Any chance of sticking up a few pics when you've done? That all sounds mouth watering!

feck that,sounds like he has loads...whats the address :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Made your chicken biryani for dinner. Instead of shredding the chicken, I left them as they are and put them under the grill for crispy skin. In the rice itself I reduced the chilli (for kids), added raisins, peas and spinach, and boiled eggs to finish. I would've loved some cashews or pistachios but haven't got any left, thanks to late night TV movie munching. So so good.

IMG_20150829_193029_zpsgl0wxzq9.jpg

Looks amazing, i would happily dive in there :pac:

In some recipes It tells you to add, say, 3 garlic cloves and, say, an inch of garlic. If I have some Ginger / Garlic paste how do I work out the spoons.

In some recipes It tells you to add, say, 3 garlic cloves and, say, an inch of garlic. If I have some Ginger / Garlic paste how do I work out the spoons.

I would use a heaped tablespoon of ginger/garlic paste in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Just add to taste. If a recipe says 3 cloves of garlic - I add half a bulb. If it says 1 clove - I still add half a bulb.

If you love garlic - try 3 tsp. If you don't - just try 1 tsp.

• Advertisement

Just add to taste. If a recipe says 3 cloves of garlic - I add half a bulb. If it says 1 clove - I still add half a bulb.

If you love garlic - try 3 tsp. If you don't - just try 1 tsp.

OK. The recipe I'm looking at wants 13 cloves of Garlic and 55g of Ginger. This is for a paste I'm making up.

OK. The recipe I'm looking at wants 13 cloves of Garlic and 55g of Ginger. This is for a paste I'm making up.

I would just weigh out the ginger then and use 13 cloves of garlic first time making it.

I would just weigh out the ginger then and use 13 cloves of garlic first time making it.

I have made this sauce before. It was just that when I want to make it yesterday, I had not got enough ginger or garlic as I wanted to double the recipe. I had a tub of garlic ginger paste to hand but did not know how to convert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Mellifera

Curry Addict, I'm relatively new to Boards and the Cooking Club but came across this last week and made the Korma at the weekend. Given the success of that (even the picky eater demolished it), i'll definitely be going back to try some of the other recipes. Fair play on sharing such gems. Thanks a million.

Mellifera wrote: »
    Curry Addict, I'm relatively new to Boards and the Cooking Club but came across this last week and made the Korma at the weekend. Given the success of that (even the picky eater demolished it), i'll definitely be going back to try some of the other recipes. Fair play on sharing such gems. Thanks a million.

glad you got a lot out of the recipes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Curry addict, are you as masterful with other curries or just Indian curries?

I'm looking to make a beef rendang, can never get it right and going by the feedback here I figured if anyone can help the the curry addict can help me!!

So....can you?

Cheers,

frAg

frag420 wrote: »
    Curry addict, are you as masterful with other curries or just Indian curries?

I'm looking to make a beef rendang, can never get it right and going by the feedback here I figured if anyone can help the the curry addict can help me!!

So....can you?

Cheers,

frAg

Every time i have ordered one in a restaurant it has been very different place to place. i can cook a tradition beef rendang and it is totally delicious. Can you describe what "right" is?
    I am off on holiday in a couple of hours so ill post up the recipe and method next week. As i remember it takes a couple of hours to cook and the key thing is identifying when its is "ready" and that can take some experience. it also has a zillion calories in it btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭bren2001

Just looking at attempting the Tikka Masala on page one but where do you buy the ingredients such as mace powder, cardamom powder etc? I'm assuming my local Tesco won't have such things.

bren2001 wrote: »
    Just looking at attempting the Tikka Masala on page one but where do you buy the ingredients such as mace powder, cardamom powder etc? I'm assuming my local Tesco won't have such things.

You might find cardamom pods in Tesco, mace definitely not. If you had a pestle / mortar, you could make the cardamom powder with the seeds.

May be wrong, but I think you could substitute nutmeg for mace.

Your best bet is, if you have a local ethnic food store, you'll find the spices. That being said, Tesco have a new range of stuff (all own brand) that have international flavour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Asia Market
    D02 W017
    Not much use if you're in Clifden but HTH

Started making these curries a few weeks ago...
    Spent ages going through a 'flagship' Tesco and Dunnes in the city looking for Mace Powder. Went to my local health food shop (in my local town) the following weekend and spotted it! They also had other difficult to locate items like fenugreek leaves.
    Made the Tikka Masala yesterday actually. I would say that it's a little different from the Masalas i've had before but still well worth the effort! Went down a treat in our house.

Mellifera wrote: »
    Started making these curries a few weeks ago...
    Spent ages going through a 'flagship' Tesco and Dunnes in the city looking for Mace Powder. Went to my local health food shop (in my local town) the following weekend and spotted it! They also had other difficult to locate items like fenugreek leaves.
    Made the Tikka Masala yesterday actually. I would say that it's a little different from the Masalas i've had before but still well worth the effort! Went down a treat in our house.

glad you enjoyed. Mace power is almost impossible to get here. I buy it whole and grind it. You will find all the ingredients in asian shops, they will also be cheaper.

Yeah would definitely be cheaper but unfortunately i don't get to visit them at the weekends and don't have access during the week. Now that i'm making your curries though, i'm beginning to run out of my stash of ingredients and am going to have to go on an expedition...delightful!! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Strange that mace has become difficult to find, my mother used to buy it when we were young for baking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Phantom99

I found it in one of my local Dunnes but not the other.

Also found it in a couple of local Asian stores

• Advertisement

If you are still having trouble sourcing ingredients locally and cannot get to any of the asian foodstores, you could use Spices of India UK, they have everything you will need and they deliver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If you are still having trouble sourcing ingredients locally and cannot get to any of the asian foodstores, you could use Spices of India UK, they have everything you will need and they deliver.

My brother has used them in Ireland and the UK.

We also get mexican dried chillies off them - chipotles, anchos and the like.

They're an absolute dog to get in Ireland as well but vital for doing serious mexican stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭bren2001

Cheers, there is an Asian Bombay Bazar on my way home from work. They have a website but don't have everything I need on it. I'll use Spices of India UK if the shop doesn't stock it when I drop in.

Ceylon Chicken

350 ml of base
    2 tbsp of oil
    1 tsp of garlic paste
    1 hpd tsp of mix powder
    .5 tsp of salt
    1 fresh green chilli

Method:

Add chillies
    Add coriander
    Add second ladle

i finally got around to trying this one. I found it very hard to chose any curry over the chilli masala for a long time now hence why it took so long.

Its a really tasty curry, the sweet, sour, tomato, coconut combination is delicious. It was a touch rich and maybe a little less tomato puree and coconut will work better. My fist time cooking it so probably my fault!

When i was eating it, i was thinking, damn i wish i had this with tilapia or prawns instead of chicken. I think it suits seafood much better than meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Phantom99

Hi Guys,

Given that you probably use cinammon/cassia bark in preparing your meats/pilau rice etc I said I'd mention the articles below.

Be careful what cinammon you use in curries particularly if you are cooking for kids. Ideally you should use ceylon cinnamon or true cinnamon as cassia bark is quite toxic.

The article below will tell you the difference between the 2.

http://www.downtoearth.org.in/coverage/poison-in-disguise-40912

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/323339

Cassia bark contains coumarin:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coumarin

Coumarin is moderately toxic to the liver and kidneys, with a median lethal dose (LD50) of 275 mg/kg, a low toxicity compared to related compounds. Though it is only somewhat dangerous to humans, coumarin is hepatotoxic in rats, but less so in mice. Rodents metabolize it mostly to 3,4-coumarin epoxide, a toxic, unstable compound that on further differential metabolism may cause liver cancer in rats and lung tumors in mice.[23][24] Humans metabolize it mainly to 7-hydroxycoumarin, a compound of lower toxicity. The German Federal Institute for Risk Assessment has established a tolerable daily intake (TDI) of 0.1 mg coumarin per kg body weight, but also advises that higher intake for a short time is not dangerous.[25] The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) of the United States does not classify coumarin as a carcinogen for humans.[26]

European health agencies have warned against consuming high amounts of cassia bark, one of the four main species of cinnamon, because of its coumarin content.[27][28] According to the German Federal Institute for Risk Assessment (BFR), 1 kg of (cassia) cinnamon powder contains about 2.1 to 4.4 g of coumarin.[29] Powdered cassia cinnamon weighs 0.56 g/cm3,[30] so a kilogram of cassia cinnamon powder equals 362.29 teaspoons. One teaspoon of cassia cinnamon powder therefore contains 5.8 to 12.1 mg of coumarin, which may be above the tolerable daily intake value for smaller individuals.[29] However, the BFR only cautions against high daily intake of foods containing coumarin. Its report[29] specifically states that Ceylon cinnamon (Cinnamomum verum) contains "hardly any" coumarin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement