Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 4 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

rhonin wrote: »
    Anybody have a problem with the volume buttons.
    They don't work on my phone. Is there a setting somewhere that maybe disables them?

Dont work at all? Sounds strange.
    Since upgrading to 4.2.2 mine no longer on the lock-screen with the phone locked but work fine once unlocked.
    Prior to the upgrade they worked on the lock-screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Dont work at all? Sounds strange.
    Since upgrading to 4.2.2 mine no longer on the lock-screen with the phone locked but work fine once unlocked.
    Prior to the upgrade they worked on the lock-screen.

Yeah, they don't work at all. Could be a hardware problem. I did a factory reset in case it was an app that caused it but that didn't help.
    I'll drop an email to support.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Yeah volume is definitely not great. I find music fine but talking only podcasts are very hard to listen to, I've use Klipsch S4i earphones which block out most outside noise but even then I still play them at full volume. I've tried the free version of the volume+ app which helps a little too.

I must say though my previous phone the droid razr had crappy volume levels too so I think it's just an Android thing?

Such a shame, completely kills it from my point of view which is a shame, bit of a schoolboy error from Google/LG on it.

Seems a good phone apart from that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

The volume is fine if you ask me. I use a pair of sennheiser in ear headphones and at full volume its painfully loud. Slightly over half volume is just right.

Did you get that pop-up about safe volume when you turned it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

EGriff wrote: »
    The volume is fine if you ask me. I use a pair of sennheiser in ear headphones and at full volume its painfully loud. Slightly over half volume is just right.

Did you get that pop-up about safe volume when you turned it up?

Yeah its nothing to do with the safe volume warning. What are you listening to? I find music volume is grand, usually never have to go to full volume. It's podcasts with just talking only that are hard to listen to in any kind of noisy environment so I will generally be at full volume using these. Also the podcasts are not all from the same podcaster in case you were thinking that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Yeah its nothing to do with the safe volume warning. What are you listening to? I find music volume is grand, usually never have to go to full volume. It's podcasts with just talking only that are hard to listen to in any kind of noisy environment so I will generally be at full volume using these. Also the podcasts are not all from the same podcaster in case you were thinking that.

Thanks again, yeah its podcasts which are my concern, sounds simialr to my current phones, which can be fairly irritating tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

Anyone here use the Qualcomm Snapdragon Battery Guru app from play store?

It takes about 3 days (may vary) after installation - during which it tries to learn the usage pattern/behaviour - and is supposed to tune the chipset for better battery savings once operational..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

reb73 wrote: »

It takes about 3 days (may vary) after installation - during which it tries to learn the usage pattern/behaviour - and is supposed to tune the chipset for better battery savings once operational..

Can't see the need for it, no complaints from me on the stock battery management especially since latest 4.2.2 upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

reb73 wrote: »

I tried it for 4 days and just uninstalled it this evening. I installed it out of curiosity,though 4.2.2 has sorted any battery issues i had.

The reason i uninstalled it was i noticed over the last couple of days that i wasn't getting any Gmail notifications despite emails being received. Had a look at Google Accounts and the sync features of almost all my Google apps was turned off. It obviously turned them off at certain periods but i've no idea when or if it turned it back on.

Shortlived experiment but it appeared to add nothing to my battery experience.

I just tried out a podcast there and it is quite low compared to music, weird, I've never noticed that on the HTC desire I had before this. Are there any equalizer settings that can be changed on this phone? Can't find them in sound settings anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

Got a nexus 4 and swapped to three for their unlimited data package. It's working okish but it isn't very good at swapping networks. Three defaults to Vodafone's network when there is no Three reception and this loses the 3G connection. The phone however is very slow to swap from a "Vodafone" network the back to the 3 network when there is one available. Does anyone know if this a problem with how the phone is configured or is it just a problem with mobile networks in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

lord lucan wrote: »
    The reason i uninstalled it was i noticed over the last couple of days that i wasn't getting any Gmail notifications despite emails being received. Had a look at Google Accounts and the sync features of almost all my Google apps was turned off. It obviously turned them off at certain periods but i've no idea when or if it turned it back on.

Was this with the App Refresh Setting (customization) for Gmail left as default or changed to refresh as required? I believe it uses the stats from the learning phase to control sync, or at least that's the stated position anyway..

Gonna leave it on for a week or so to see if its any good..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Got a nexus 4 and swapped to three for their unlimited data package. It's working okish but it isn't very good at swapping networks. Three defaults to Vodafone's network when there is no Three reception and this loses the 3G connection. The phone however is very slow to swap from a "Vodafone" network the back to the 3 network when there is one available. Does anyone know if this a problem with how the phone is configured or is it just a problem with mobile networks in general?

Problem with the networks itself. Use to be a thread about it on the 3 forum itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭HTML5!

Just picked one up today. LOVE it!

Quick question: which email client are you guys using?

I have an outlook.com address, but I'm unable to set it up on K9 mail. Google wasn't much help either.

The outlook/hot mail apps aren't very good.

You know of a good push mail app for that will work with outlook?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

HTML5! wrote: »
    Just picked one up today. LOVE it!

Quick question: which email client are you guys using?

I have an outlook.com address, but I'm unable to set it up on K9 mail. Google wasn't much help either.

The outlook/hot mail apps aren't very good.

You know of a good push mail app for that will work with outlook?

can you not set it up as an exchange email?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/196272-setting-up-email-outlook-com-address.html

1. Create new account using e-mail app
    2. Manual setup
    3. Choose Microsoft Exchange
    4. Domain user = \username@outlook.com
    5. Password = mail password that you set up previously
    6. Exchange server = snt-m.hotmail.com
    7. Check Use Secure connection (SSL)
    8. Check Accept all SSL certificates (Not sure if this is required)
    9. Accept the activation (If prompted)
    10. Configure the mail client to your liking
    11. Give the mail box a name (Currently set to Outlook)
    12. Job done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭HTML5!

That's the ticket!

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

EGriff wrote: »
    I just tried out a podcast there and it is quite low compared to music, weird, I've never noticed that on the HTC desire I had before this. Are there any equalizer settings that can be changed on this phone? Can't find them in sound settings anyway.

What apps are good for getting pod-casts. do you manage pod-casts on the phone itself or through a linked PC?

Sorry, never really used pod-casts before.

I use OneCast and its fine but I don't listen to many podcasts at all so maybe there's better alternatives.

Yeah all the management is done on the phone (search, subscribe, download etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭JKGT

Anyone got problems with pictures not loading on Facebook app??? Any ideas???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭budhabob

Anyone crack the back? Mine is smashed, no idea how.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

budhabob wrote: »
    Anyone crack the back? Mine is smashed, no idea how.

Yea there is a small crack on the top left of the back near the camera .
    No idea how it happened.
    I ordered one of these titanium black which i think look good and will hide it.

iggy wrote: »
    No idea how it happened.

Did some googling. It appears to be common. Off to buy a skin or cover now. How does the one you bought look and feel? Happy?

No idea how it happened.

I'm gonna get one of these too, mines not cracked but its getting covered in little scratches and its starting to look pretty crap.

Did some googling. It appears to be common. Off to buy a skin or cover now. How does the one you bought look and feel? Happy?

I only ordered it on Thursday when the titanium one was released. There is a big thread on XDA about them.
    If you are ordering one enter code "XDA" FOR 10% off.
    Works out about €8.50 delivered from Canada

I only ordered it on Thursday when the titanium one was released. There is a big thread on XDA about them.
    I didnt realise they were kind of like stickers. I dont know if they will work for mine considering theres a shatter pattern on the back.

I didnt realise they were kind of like stickers. I dont know if they will work for mine considering theres a shatter pattern on the back.

Have a at this video of a black leather one and see
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XS8GS_lMgE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Have a at this video of a black leather one and see
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XS8GS_lMgE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I dont think that will work considering the crack I have :( Thanks for all the help though.

There were alot of cases mentioned in this thread. Anyone recommend particular ones? I would like a nice thin one (mainly to hide the bloodly crack).

I dont think that will work considering the crack I have :( Thanks for all the help though.

There were alot of cases mentioned in this thread. Anyone recommend particular ones? I would like a nice thin one (mainly to hide the bloodly crack).

I'd recommend the Dbrand one. My N4 fell and hit the fireplace causing extensive cracking all over the back of it. I got one of them skins from Canada and the phone feels brand new. The skin contains the shattered glass and doesn't feel weird,in some ways it feels like it was always part of the phone.

lord lucan wrote: »
    I'd recommend the Dbrand one. My N4 fell and hit the fireplace causing extensive cracking all over the back of it. I got one of them skins from Canada and the phone feels brand new. The skin contains the shattered glass and doesn't feel weird,in some ways it feels like it was always part of the phone.

Excellent. I might try these so. How long did delivery take?

• Advertisement

Excellent. I might try these so. How long did delivery take?

It took exactly 1 week to arrive.

Advertisement