Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

abarkie wrote: »
    My P3000s had too close an encounter with a football the other night and got a cracked screen:mad:

I can only see an ad under tallaghtmick - is that the one?

Got some colleagues over on 15/06 if still available then, will probably takee

Yeh thats mine, I can post and paypal if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭jeffk

Elephone P6000

Seems the battery is working as it should now, using the old charger off my Huawei and a 3M cable from bargain alert forum(so they do work ok)

Lasted 22 hours and a bit (three yesterday to now)
    Got to 1%, turned on the torch and in a minute went dead
    Says just over two hours till it’s charged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

My girlfriend had picked up a cheap Lenovo before but she lost it yesterday at slane so looking for a replacement. Her budget is 100ish. Would that P6000 be a good option. I don't know much about android as I have an iPhone myself. I saw this link a few pages ago:

http://www.to2c.com/elephone-p6000-2gb-ram-16gb-rom.html

Is that the cheapest place to get it?

Also with the last phone she had trouble with the internal storage being portend so she had no room on it for many apps so I was hoping to get one that doesn't need much fidgeting about with to be fully functional. Thanks.

My girlfriend had picked up a cheap Lenovo before but she lost it yesterday at slane so looking for a replacement. Her budget is 100ish. Would that P6000 be a good option. I don't know much about android as I have an iPhone myself. I saw this link a few pages ago:

http://www.to2c.com/elephone-p6000-2gb-ram-16gb-rom.html

Is that the cheapest place to get it?

Also with the last phone she had trouble with the internal storage being portend so she had no room on it for many apps so I was hoping to get one that doesn't need much fidgeting about with to be fully functional. Thanks.

Good phone with battery problems on some of them.

Can't fault the phone at all, well apart from the battery issues.

But can easily be fixed and have to keep saying five hours charging gets me twenty two hours.

jeffk wrote: »
    Can't fault the phone at all, well apart from the battery issues.

But can easily be fixed and have to keep saying five hours charging gets me twenty two hours.

5 hours charge is still bad, you should try a new charger.

How long did your one take?

Different cable/plugs give same result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

5 hours charging for 22 hours? That's awful by any standards.

RossieMan wrote: »
    5 hours charging for 22 hours? That's awful by any standards.

How?

The last phone I had took around 3-4 and lasted 10 at a push. This lasts four times the charge time

• Advertisement

What's your screen on time? You'd want to have it on 6-7 hours for it to drain that fast.

jeffk wrote: »
    How long did your one take?

Different cable/plugs give same result

2 hours at most and I use a Nokia charger.

No matter what cable/plug combination (including the original ones)

I get the same speed

Charging Speed(Triangle1%)
    3minutes 48mnutes

Even on this forum some say the same

http://bbs.elephone.hk/thread-4039-1-1.html

I don’t get screen time? I stopped charging at 1500 and the next day at 1720 ish it went dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Got a Xiaomi Redmi Note yesterday via Parcel Motel, cost £109 delivered which seems a bargain for the piece of kit. But I'm not sure if I should be worried- I've been trying to install Google Play but in the browser I keep getting Security warnings about websites certificates, they keep flashing up, even on sites that I trust like BBC, Google, etc. I press OK and they flash up again many times before the browser crashes. Any way to turn these off?

Second email to Etotalk,

Please wipe the battery status as below:
    1. Maske sure the phone is rooted.
    2. Install root explorer.apk into the phone.
    http://www.4shared.com/android/OpQMZ4S4/RootExplorer.html
    3. Power off the phone, fully charged.
    4. Run Root explorer on your phone, delete the file "/data/system/batterystats.bin"
    5. Use the phone normally until power off automatically (Please don't charge the phone in this process)
    6. Don't power on, charge the phone fully.
    7. Power on. Then the battery should be correctly.

That's what battery calibration apps do.
    If it works it's a very simply problem.

• Advertisement

RossieMan wrote: »
    That's what battery calibration apps do.
    If it works it's a very simply problem.

IF, Ive tried that myself and various apps that do the same.

I get the feeling they expect you to jump through hoops before considering there might actually be a fault with phone and/or battery

Ive to stop reading gizchina, the amount on my wishlist now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Got a Xiaomi Redmi Note yesterday via Parcel Motel, cost £109 delivered which seems a bargain for the piece of kit. But I'm not sure if I should be worried- I've been trying to install Google Play but in the browser I keep getting Security warnings about websites certificates, they keep flashing up, even on sites that I trust like BBC, Google, etc. I press OK and they flash up again many times before the browser crashes. Any way to turn these off?

What rom version do you have installed? Easiest thing to do would be to update to the xiaomi.eu rom which has all Chinese removed and play store pre-installed.

http://htcfanboys.com/download/acid/?action=list&folder=76903

Where did you buy it from? Loads of fakes going around of the Redmi Note so best to make sure its genuine first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

UleFone have finally updated the Be Pro to Lollipop 5.0 although it wasn't ota.

Another update came along today has greatly improved the camera quality as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

Lads I need some advice.. looking for a phone and seen these 2 popping up.. anyone give me what's my best bet to go with? Is the battery ok on them?

http://m.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_180346.html

http://m.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_181437.html?utm_source=mail_api&utm_medium=mail&utm_campaign=regular.0601&email=b2t8bWVkaWFqb250QHlhaG9vLmllfDI1OTA=

Or would the Moto G that's in Argos at the min for 200 be my best bet?

I don't want to really spend anymore than 200 including customs etc & need a good fast phone with quite a decent battery

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Lads I need some advice.. looking for a phone and seen these 2 popping up.. anyone give me what's my best bet to go with? Is the battery ok on them?

Or would the Moto G that's in Argos at the min for 200 be my best bet?

I don't want to really spend anymore than 200 including customs etc & need a good fast phone with quite a decent battery

Thanks

The Lenovo would be the better option considering the price, battery and screen resolution.

That said the Mlais does have 1gb more ram but it is a relatively unknown phone and 2gbs of ram is more than enough atm.

I would buy the Lenovo.

I can't post links yet but check out Mrwhosetheboss on youtube, he has done a review of the Lenovo where he has nothing but praise for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

My sister has a Mlais she loves. I'd go the Mlais because the Lenovo is so damn ugly

Kilboor wrote: »
    The Lenovo would be the better option considering the price, battery and screen resolution.

That said the Mlais does have 1gb more ram but it is a relatively unknown phone and 2gbs of ram is more than enough atm.

I would buy the Lenovo.

I can't post links yet but check out Mrwhosetheboss on youtube, he has done a review of the Lenovo where he has nothing but praise for it

That's great thanks for the advice..the mlais has that finger touch I.d thing which looks deadly.. I'll have a look on YouTube mate thanks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Kilboor wrote: »

I would buy the Lenovo.

The only thing I would add to this is to make sure to get a tempered glass screen protector for the Lenovo, as it doesn't appear to have gorilla glass. Even at that, I'd get it ahead of the Mlais based on screen res, battery, manufacturer and price.

Maybe also look at the Jiayu S3 and the Meizu M1 Note, they have the same chip set and should be fairly close price wise. Both have gorilla glass and a 1080p screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭satguy

My Post from a few days ago
    My Wife needs a new phone,, she is not a power user, just calls and a bit of Facebook stuff..

Does anybody know or have any thoughts on this one below,, Thanks..

VKWORLD VK700 5.5inch IPS HD MTK6582 Quad Core 1.3GHz Android 4.4 Smartphone 1GB RAM 8GB ROM 3G GPS Miracast - Black
    http://www.geekbuying.com/item/VKWOR...ck-344133.html

I did buy it a few hours later, It was €74 + €9.78 for that DHL ( DHell ), and I got €3 off a coupon ,, so round that up to €80..

I just got a call from DHL to say my phone will be here today, and that there is a charge of €32 owed.

That is 23% customs and the outrageous fee the DHell add on.. Next time I buy a phone, I would just get standard postage, and leave out DHL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

People are continually complaining about the charge from DHL. An Post charge 6euro.
    Processing parcels and dealing with customs takes a persons time and company resources.
    No company that wants to stay in business can afford to do work for free.

satguy wrote: »

I did buy it a few hours later, It was €74 + €9.78 for that DHL ( DHell ), and I got €3 off a coupon ,, so round that up to €80..

I just got a call from DHL to say my phone will be here today, and that there is a charge of €32 owed.

That is 23% customs and the outrageous fee the DHell add on.. Next time I buy a phone, I would just get standard postage, and leave out DHL.

You can use others like UPS

People are continually complaining about the charge from DHL. An Post charge 6euro.
    Processing parcels and dealing with customs takes a persons time and company resources.
    No company that wants to stay in business can afford to do work for free.

You pay a delivery charge already:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

You pay a delivery charge already:confused:

For the delivery, not for their time as the middle man between you and Customs. We can argue about the size of the fee, perhaps, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect no fee whatsoever.

DHL admin fee is 10e so looks like you were overcharged. Should have been 29 something.

• Advertisement

Came across this seller here Sounds like a seller from the ghetto :D

corwill wrote: »
    The only thing I would add to this is to make sure to get a tempered glass screen protector for the Lenovo, as it doesn't appear to have gorilla glass. Even at that, I'd get it ahead of the Mlais based on screen res, battery, manufacturer and price.

Maybe also look at the Jiayu S3 and the Meizu M1 Note, they have the same chip set and should be fairly close price wise. Both have gorilla glass and a 1080p screen.

Thanks for your feedback

Where would you recommend best place to look for the above phones you mentioned? Don't want to be waiting around a month for it.

Cheers

Thanks for your feedback

Where would you recommend best place to look for the above phones you mentioned? Don't want to be waiting around a month for it.

Cheers

Merimobiles, Etotalk, Mixeshop, Aliexpress, Coolicool, theres so many out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

Anyone gotten their hands on the Lenovo K3 Note yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Anyone here with a Mi Note?

spix wrote: »
    What rom version do you have installed? Easiest thing to do would be to update to the xiaomi.eu rom which has all Chinese removed and play store pre-installed.

http://htcfanboys.com/download/acid/?action=list&folder=76903

Where did you buy it from? Loads of fakes going around of the Redmi Note so best to make sure its genuine first.

thanks for the link. How would I check its not fake before I flash it with a new ROM?

thanks for the link. How would I check its not fake before I flash it with a new ROM?

Xiaomi have an app for testing. I think. Might be antutu either, google for the apk

Easiest way is to show where you bought it, if its a known seller it will be genuine. Other than that, install cpu-z to confirm specs are as they should be. If there was a cpu-z already preinstalled make sure to remove it. Check that Mi Recovery is installed by turning off phone and then turning on by holding down vol+ and power button. If it comes up with different recovery it's likely fake.

Is it the 4g version with snapdragon 410 or the 3g with mtk6592?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

Recommendations of a phone to replace a smashed S4?
    Preferably from Europe and is ready to go on purchase. No need to flash or custom?

• Advertisement

Xiaomis are always a good bet, ask the store to flash the international ROM if they haven't already. Mi4i, Mi3, MiNote or Redmi are ones to look at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭satguy

corwill wrote: »
    For the delivery, not for their time as the middle man between you and Customs. We can argue about the size of the fee, perhaps, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect no fee whatsoever.

I paid €9.74 to DHL already, they seem to have a very high detection rate as regards the customs, and if they are adding on €12 per package, it seems the more they report to customs, the more they earn.

I have used just the normal post in the past, most get through just fine, once I had a phone nabbed by customs, I was able to pay the dues online, and An Post only added a charge €6 ,,

It was just that I needed the phone quick..
    But will never use DHL if I am not in a hurry.

They are not called DH-Hell for nothing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I paid €9.74 to DHL already, they seem to have a very high detection rate as regards the customs, and if they are adding on €12 per package, it seems the more they report to customs, the more they earn.

I have used just the normal post in the past, most get through just fine, once I had a phone nabbed by customs, I was able to pay the dues online, and An Post only added a charge €6 ,,

Can you pay AnPost online? As far as I am aware you can only pay (in cash) to the postman when he delivers the package.

I would imagine that most parcels that come via DHL would be above the 22euro ?? threshold also, as it would hardly be worthwhile paying for DHL delivery on anything of a lower value. So I would expect that almost every parcel they handle would be likely to be subject to a charge, which may not be the case with AnPost as a lot of the items would be low-value with free carriage from the sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Hello,

I've been looking at phones on to2c.com

Looking at reviews it seems a good site unless you have a problem with the device you ordered. Bad customer service, hard to get a refund etc.

Anyone have personal experience with this site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 llandai

Finally got my Jiayu S3 from geekbuying, took them an age to ship it but once they did it got here very quick. Have to say though it was packaged really badly. I ordered an extra battery & charger, tempered glass screen and a silicon cover. The cover wasn't in any packaging and was just stuck to the phones box with tiny bit of bubble wrap and cellotape, as a result the cover is damaged and doesnt sit on the phone properly, the whole package was just in a DHL bag and not boxed at all! Will need to order a new cover as the rear cover of the phone is very smooth and phone is really slippy and easy to drop!!

Phone itself so far after playing with it for the last hour seems very good, came with Google Play store pre installed.

First time having a chinese phone and have never rooted a phone or anything like that before. Is it worth doing and is it easy enough to do? Is there a way to check for malware/bloathware and remove it if there is?

A friend mentioned not using a chinese phone for doing online banking, is that something I should be concerned with?

Sorry for all the questions!!

llandai wrote: »
    Finally got my Jiayu S3 from geekbuying, took them an age to ship it but once they did it got here very quick. Have to say though it was packaged really badly. I ordered an extra battery & charger, tempered glass screen and a silicon cover. The cover wasn't in any packaging and was just stuck to the phones box with tiny bit of bubble wrap and cellotape, as a result the cover is damaged and doesnt sit on the phone properly, the whole package was just in a DHL bag and not boxed at all! Will need to order a new cover as the rear cover of the phone is very smooth and phone is really slippy and easy to drop!!

Phone itself so far after playing with it for the last hour seems very good, came with Google Play store pre installed.

First time having a chinese phone and have never rooted a phone or anything like that before. Is it worth doing and is it easy enough to do? Is there a way to check for malware/bloathware and remove it if there is?

A friend mentioned not using a chinese phone for doing online banking, is that something I should be concerned with?

Sorry for all the questions!!

Get a app that searches for malware, spyware etc.

• Advertisement

Xiaomi have an app for testing. I think. Might be antutu either, google for the apk

Yeah I downloaded the app and unfortunately you're right- its a fake. I verified it twice to be certain. I bought it from a Chinese ebay seller with almost 10,000 positive feedbacks with 99% satisfaction so I've emailed him now with the test results to see what they say. In any case I'd suspected it might be fake earlier today, when I got it I charged to full and barely touched it in the last 48 hours yet when checked today the battery was at 12%. Then when charging again it took almost 5 hours to get to 96% which again seemed very slow.

I wanna return the phone, anyone know what my rights are in terms of posting it back? Are they obliged to pay, especially given the phone was fake and I didn't get what was ordered? Paid via Paypal if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Out of interest. What sways you guys toward weirdly named phones that need to be flashed etc? Price? Are the specs better for X price than one in meteor for the same price?

I ask as ive a s4 mini and had an iPhone 4s before that. Im considering one of these phones after the summer maybe.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Out of interest. What sways you guys toward weirdly named phones that need to be flashed etc? Price? Are the specs better for X price than one in meteor for the same price?

I ask as ive a s4 mini and had an iPhone 4s before that. Im considering one of these phones after the summer maybe.

Weirdly named :D they're cheap for what you get, lots of bang for your buck.

I've a Xiaomi Mi3 for example, can be used perfectly with no custom ROMs, massive community behind it, 5" 1080p screen and a powerful snapdragon processor. Antutu score is about 35000. €250 for a 64gb new

S5 is 5" 1080p screen, usuable with no rom, massive community, same processor. Currently goes new for €400 for the 16gb version on Amazon. Antutu score is about 35000

Yeah I downloaded the app and unfortunately you're right- its a fake. I verified it twice to be certain. I bought it from a Chinese ebay seller with almost 10,000 positive feedbacks with 99% satisfaction so I've emailed him now with the test results to see what they say. In any case I'd suspected it might be fake earlier today, when I got it I charged to full and barely touched it in the last 48 hours yet when checked today the battery was at 12%. Then when charging again it took almost 5 hours to get to 96% which again seemed very slow.

I wanna return the phone, anyone know what my rights are in terms of posting it back? Are they obliged to pay, especially given the phone was fake and I didn't get what was ordered? Paid via Paypal if that makes a difference.

The app isn't always accurate, I think it might only work for phones purchased through xiaomis official store, but many resellers source them elsewhere such as through carriers.

Best bet is cpu-z or antutu to verify hardware is as it should be. Or check that Mi Recovery is installed.

The battery issues could be explainable. Which miui version are you on right now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I've a Xiaomi Mi3 for example, can be used perfectly with no custom ROMs, massive community behind it, 5" 1080p screen and a powerful snapdragon processor. Antutu score is about 35000. €250 for a 64gb new

I've a TCL M2U for example, can be used perfectly with no custom Roms, NO COMMUNITY behind it, 5.5 in screen, dual sim, 4G, and a powerful MTK processor and a microSD slot. Antutu score is about 39000. :P

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement