Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to get Channel 5 and BBC One HD on your Irish EPG and Recordable!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

corkdavid wrote: »
    Ok, as you can tell from my name Im living in Cork. I ordered a FTV card from Sky last Saturday using advice from a poster here. The card that should be sent to me will be a Northern Ireland one..(fingers crossed)

I have a new Sky HD box and a 1TB HD box...what channels can i expect to gain as a result of the information in this article?What other channels should I tune onto other channels? Im not the greatest when it comes to technology...At the very least I really want to get Channel 5 onto my EPG (huge Big Brother fan).

Any help given would be fantastic..........

See my post #137, regarding the extra channels I get with a London region card. Instead of '103 - ITV1 London' you will get UTV. You will not get '131 - ITV+1' or '178 - ITV1HD'. Otherwise, fairly similar. The BBC regions will obviously be a bit different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

GEO147 wrote: »
    Well then why is it not the same for C5?

I guess ITV figure that there's so many regions fta whats the point in blocking the few that aren't. Originally when ITV first launched on satellite way back in '01, I think, all their regions were viewable on ROI cards. Then TV3 forced them to block them all. Channel 5 on the other hand has never been viewable over here until the one region for freesat went fta.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Caramac

Could someone please tell me whether the regional restrictions for Channel 5 only apply to the OLD blue ftv cards, or do they also apply to the newer WHITE ftv cards too? eg must a new white ftv card be from the correct region to get Channel 5 onto the Irish EPG using the instructions here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

Applies to white ftv cards too, you need one from a region that is not encrytped.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Caramac

DigiDec wrote: »
    Applies to white ftv cards too, you need one from a region that is not encrytped.

OK, thanks DigiDec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Caramac wrote: »
    Could someone please tell me whether the regional restrictions for Channel 5 only apply to the OLD blue ftv cards, or do they also apply to the newer WHITE ftv cards too? eg must a new white ftv card be from the correct region to get Channel 5 onto the Irish EPG using the instructions here?

Any Blue or White card from "Part Network" region will work. That is the Green region in map below.
    A card from "the North", "Scotland" or "London" regions will not work. (Blue, Orange and Red regions)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭very

givecredit wrote: »
    Any Blue or White card from "Part Network" region will work. That is the Green region in map below.
    A card from "the North", "Scotland" or "London" regions will not work. (Blue, Orange and Red regions)

Thanks for that! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

I have 2 old blue BBC FTV cards, one from the North and one from Wales and both of them give me channel 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 corkdavid

Right..Ordered a freeview card off Sky last Saturday.It arrived today...Gave Sky a postcode and phone number from Northern Ireland, thinking I would get a card for there.

Got the extra channels(BBC1 London,BBC2 London, More 4+1,ITV2 ,ITV3 etc etc....).But no bloody Channel 5 which is what Im after!!!!I thought giving Sky a Northern Ireland postcode would ensure a card that enabled me to get Channel 5 onto my EPG?? Im really pissed now after buying a card for nothing....Any suggestions????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Right..Ordered a freeview card off Sky last Saturday.It arrived today...Gave Sky a postcode and phone number from Northern Ireland, thinking I would get a card for there.

Got the extra channels(BBC1 NI,BBC2 NI, More 4+1,ITV2 ,ITV3 etc etc....).But no bloody Channel 5 which is what Im after!!!!I thought giving Sky a Northern Ireland postcode would ensure a card that enabled me to get Channel 5 onto my EPG?? Im really pissed now after buying a card for nothing....Any suggestions????
    Have you all the Channel 5's tuned in on extra channels.

200motels wrote: »

Yes....made a mistake earlier..The new card gave me BBC1 London and BBC2 London...

I watch Channel 5 every night under "other channels"..so its there but wont transfer across to the EPG.

When the new EPG loads with my new card, there is no Channel 5...It goes from 104(Channel 4) to 106....The bloody card must be for the London area and not Northern Ireland..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Yes....made a mistake earlier..The new card gave me BBC1 London and BBC2 London...

I watch Channel 5 every night under "other channels"..so its there but wont transfer across to the EPG.

Sounds like you haven't rang up and activated the card yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Got the extra channels(BBC1 London,BBC2 London, More 4+1,ITV2 ,ITV3 etc etc....).But no bloody Channel 5 which is what Im after!!!!I thought giving Sky a Northern Ireland postcode would ensure a card that enabled me to get Channel 5 onto my EPG?? Im really pissed now after buying a card for nothing....Any suggestions????

Just ring them and tell them it's the wrong region... NI card definitely gets Ch5, but you will loose itv1hd and itv1+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Just ring them and tell them it's the wrong region... NI card definitely gets Ch5, but you will loose itv1hd and itv1+1

No, sounds like the card has not been activated. Needs to call Sky and match the card to a box.

• Advertisement

When the new EPG loads with my new card, there is no Channel 5...It goes from 104(Channel 4) to 106....The bloody card must be for the London area and not Northern Ireland..

You need to ring the phone number that came on the letter included with card inorder to activate card. Non activated cards default to London bbc and Midlands ITV i think.

Good luck with the call. Practice your NI accent..

SPAWKER wrote: »
    I have 2 old blue BBC FTV cards, one from the North and one from Wales and both of them give me channel 5.

Did you look at map. Wales is in the green area. So is Northern Ireland. When I say "The North" Its The North Macro advertising region for Ch5. Not Northern Ireland or All of Northern England, Just most of Northern England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Did you look at map. Wales is in the green area. So is Northern Ireland. When I say "The North" Its The North Macro advertising region for Ch5. Not Northern Ireland or All of Northern England, Just most of Northern England.
    When you said the North I assumed you ment Northern Ireland because you never stipulated that you were talking about the Northern advertising region for channel 5.

You need to ring the phone number that came on the letter included with card inorder to activate card. Non activated cards default to London bbc and Midlands ITV i think.

Good luck with the call. Practice your NI accent..

I phoned and it was a complete disaster. She asked loads of questions and twigged I was from Southern Ireland..Told me I had to return the card to them.

I wouldnt mind but, at the moment, Im paying 78 euro a month to Sky and they treated me like I was a mass murderer..I eventually hung up. All i bloody want is Channel 5 for BIg Brother!!!

Might try e bay for a card.........Sigh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I phoned and it was a complete disaster. She asked loads of questions and twigged I was from Southern Ireland..Told me I had to return the card to them.

I wouldnt mind but, at the moment, Im paying 78 euro a month to Sky and they treated me like I was a mass murderer..I eventually hung up. All i bloody want is Channel 5 for BIg Brother!!!

Did you hide your number when you called Sky? Which number did you call?

• Advertisement

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Did you hide your number when you called Sky? Which number did you call?

The number that came with the card..have a feeling it was Northern Ireland..And yes, I hid my number.She just started asking about my exact address.Im sorry I ever bothered to get one now..A waste of time..The things a Big Brother fan does...would love to be able to record it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Best thing to do if I were you and if you had some euros to spare would be to install another feed and invest in Freesat box and so get 5 on your epg and be able to record to your hearts content. No further hassle. Personally and this is only my own opinion giving Sky someone else's address and phone no. is likely to lead to problems down the line.

Best thing to do if I were you and if you had some euros to spare would be to install another feed and invest in Freesat box and so get 5 on your epg and be able to record to your hearts content. No further hassle. Personally and this is only my own opinion giving Sky someone else's address and phone no. is likely to lead to problems down the line.

The thing is I just got two brand new Sky HD boxes..I was going to try to get Channel 5 onto one of them so I can record Big Brother without having to be at home every night for it. So dont really want the expense of a Freesat box too..which probably wouldnt have Channel 5 on it anyhow...

The thing is I just got two brand new Sky HD boxes..I was going to try to get Channel 5 onto one of them so I can record Big Brother without having to be at home every night for it. So dont really want the expense of a Freesat box too..which probably wouldnt have Channel 5 on it anyhow...
    Freesat has Channel 5 on it and if you get a PVR box you can record to your hearts content. As one of the members above said giving a false address is not right and the mods wouldn't like anyone discusing it and it goes against the rules of the boards. I'm not going to post anymore about it as I could get banned.

Freesat has Channel 5 on it and if you get a PVR box you can record to your hearts content. As one of the members above said giving a false address is not right and the mods wouldn't like anyone discusing it and it goes against the rules of the boards. I'm not going to post anymore about it as I could get banned.

Maybe Freesat is the way to go so...I assume its like a dvd recorder?? Will look into it...thanks for the help....

Maybe Freesat is the way to go so...I assume its like a dvd recorder?? Will look into it...thanks for the help....
    It's exactly like a Sky+ box you can buy them from Richer Sounds either in Dublin or Belfast.

It's exactly like a Sky+ box you can buy them from Richer Sounds either in Dublin or Belfast.

Don't know the last time you were up in the "Big Smoke", but Richer Sounds aren't in dublin any more :)

Anyhow.... Freesat+ is the way to go. Here's an example of out of the better HD box's on Amazon, but you can get them cheeper than this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-500GB-Satellite-Receiver-Recorder/dp/B0039J42LM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1314363831&sr=1-1

Don't know the last time you were up in the "Big Smoke", but Richer Sounds aren't in dublin any more :)

Anyhow.... Freesat+ is the way to go. Here's an example of out of the better HD box's on Amazon, but you can get them cheeper than this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-500GB-Satellite-Receiver-Recorder/dp/B0039J42LM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1314363831&sr=1-1
    I didn't realise he was gone from Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

I would try ringing them again you'll probably get someone else or get someone else in the family to ring.
    I rang to activate this afternoon got a girl first,she wasn't able to find me from the postcode so she transferred me the activation team who activated it no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

pbarr wrote: »
    I would try ringing them again you'll probably get someone else or get someone else in the family to ring.
    I rang to activate this afternoon got a girl first,she wasn't able to find me from the postcode so she transferred me the activation team who activated it no problem.

I still think this is questionable re giving out someone else's postcode/address. Personally my conscience would bother me if I did this.

• Advertisement

Should BBC1 & BBC2 shift to 101 & 102 no matter what region FTV card you have. I have UTV on 103 along with TV3 but the BBCs Northern Ireland have stayed on their origional positions even though they are stored in the other channels.

With a NI FTV card BBC1&2 will stay on 141 and 142 because they are on the ROI EPG too and the ROI card will take first choice for duplicate channels, the same will happen with BBC3&4, they will stay on 229 and 230 instead of 115 and 116.

The wife recorded big brother tonight and about a half hour after it had finished tried to watch but had to put in a pin code to watch which is the last 4 digts of of my sub viewing card which it didn't accept. Then tried FTV card but that didnt work either because that card doesn't allow recording or playback. Interestingly last night we played back big brother about half way through and it worked no problem with no pin request.
    Has this happened anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

Pin Code
    Same happens to me. Seems to be the case on all of the new channels after 9pm.

It's the same code which is used for parental control. If you don't know it or haven't used it before you may have to contact sky and ask them.

It could well be the last 4 digits of a previous card which you used before the current white Irish card. Or even older!

I got it sorted this morning. I went back and repeated the instructions at the beginning of this thread and that got it back working. I think I swapped the cards at some stage yesterday which must have confused the software leading it to look for a pin to watch channel 5 recordings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

emmetmcl wrote: »
    If this works can you watch 5* and 5USA? And what about 5HD?

NO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭very

would it be possible to get a lend of a card from someone?

I got it sorted this morning. I went back and repeated the instructions at the beginning of this thread and that got it back working. I think I swapped the cards at some stage yesterday which must have confused the software leading it to look for a pin to watch channel 5 recordings.

Thats exactly what happened to me..i swapped the cards for a second and now its looking for a pin code. The code of my Irish card and the UK one I borrowed wont work..I need my own card to have it in case of emergencies. Cant keep pestering my mate for his card.

Thats exactly what happened to me..i swapped the cards for a second and now its looking for a pin code. The code of my Irish card and the UK one I borrowed wont work..I need my own card to have it in case of emergencies. Cant keep pestering my mate for his card.

The strange thing is it only seems to happens with Channel 5 recordings, well that's with me anyway.it didn't affect two UTV recordings.
    Another strange thing happened last night.BB was recording from 10 pm. At around quarter past ten we started to play it back and watched about 10 minutes of it when the wife had to leave the room so I put on a different recording.
    She came back 5 minutes later and I accidentally picked up the old sky remote toput back on BB and gues wha it looked for the pin after playing back ok 5minutes earlier. It looked like using the old remote caused the pin request but I know it shouldn't .I rebooted the box again this morning and must do more test recordings on channel 5 to see what brings on the pin request.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

For me it appears to happen with all recordings which broadcast after 9pm. Or around 9pm. I record Corrie and the 7:30 episode does not ask for pin but the 8:30 episode does.

I assumed the 8:30 one asked because it finished at the 9pm watershed.

As long as u know your pin it's not a big hardship.

My pin has not changed since from a card I had some years ago. I have changed a few official cards but the pin always remained the same. It doesn't seem to change to last 4 digits of new card when your card changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭v10

FYI I ordered a card through the method described by the OP 2 weeks ago and today rang sky as I hadn't received it (yet was charged straight away). They told me the order was cancelled by their system as the address didn't match the post code. When I asked them why I was charged they said they would look into that and come back to me on the (fake) phone number I provided !

So long story short I'm 20 odd euro down and have no card :(

Not blaming the OP just warning others that it might not work out !

maximus02 wrote: »
    For me it appears to happen with all recordings which broadcast after 9pm. Or around 9pm. I record Corrie and the 7:30 episode does not ask for pin but the 8:30 episode does.

My pin has not changed since from a card I had some years ago. I have changed a few official cards but the pin always remained the same. It doesn't seem to change to last 4 digits of new card when your card changes.

Thats probably whats happening with me. I only have the box since Friday so haven't had much time to figure it out. I recorded a couple of Channel 5 programmes today and they played back ok but we'll see what happens with BB tonight.

Edit: Tried playing back BB a couple of minutes ago and it looked for the pin so it looks like the 9pm watershed thing is whats wrong.

maximus02 wrote: »

I just got two new Sky HD boxes, one for bedroom and sitting room. Anytime I tape BB its looking for a PIN to view it. But the PIN isnt the last 4 digits of my new cards..So would it be the old PIN number of my old cards on my old boxes? My older Sky box in bedroom wasnt Sky Plus, just a normal box...I had Sky Plus in sitting room..

I just got two new Sky HD boxes, one for bedroom and sitting room. Anytime I tape BB its looking for a PIN to view it. But the PIN isnt the last 4 digits of my new cards..So would it be the old PIN number of my old cards on my old boxes? My older Sky box in bedroom wasnt Sky Plus, just a normal box...I had Sky Plus in sitting room..

hi guys….. one thing you could try is to change your pin to your own choice. I changed my pin when I got sky first (think you can do it through ‘my sky’), and haven’t any of the problems above…... might to worth giving it a shot!!!

I was having that pin problem with Big Brother recordings as well.the last 4 digits of my sub sky card wouldn't work neither would the last 4 of the FTV card and even swapping the cards neither pin would work.
    Last night I decided to log in to my sky account on skys website and went to the section to change your pin, i then changed the pin to the same as the last 4 digits of the FTV card and it worked, I was able to view the recording that I wasn't able to view earlier.

• Advertisement

I was having that pin problem with Big Brother recordings as well.the last 4 digits of my sub sky card wouldn't work neither would the last 4 of the FTV card and even swapping the cards neither pin would work.
    Last night I decided to log in to my sky account on skys website and went to the section to change your pin, i then changed the pin to the same as the last 4 digits of the FTV card and it worked, I was able to view the recording that I wasn't able to view earlier.

Thats great advice.Thanks! I just changed my pin online so hopefully that will sort things out by the time i get home.

I'd say the Dark Knights advice above to change the pin to anything would probably do the same thing. I just decided to use the pin from the FTV card just in case it was that was causing the problem but you can change the pin more than once anyway on My Sky.

Does this work with new Sky+ boxes or is it just the new hd boxes?

HD boxes except the older Thomson's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭homelink

v10 wrote: »
    FYI I ordered a card through the method described by the OP 2 weeks ago and today rang sky as I hadn't received it (yet was charged straight away). They told me the order was cancelled by their system as the address didn't match the post code. When I asked them why I was charged they said they would look into that and come back to me on the (fake) phone number I provided !

So long story short I'm 20 odd euro down and have no card :(

Not blaming the OP just warning others that it might not work out !

Still haven't received my card either so I guess I'm in the same boat.:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement