Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix - Recommendations

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I just finished watching the first series of the BBC's Psychoville and it was excellent. "Full-on ballbag mental", to steal a phrase from a webcomic I read.

The IT Crowd, the Mighty Boosh, Coupling, Cold Feet, and Drawn Together are a few other things I've spotted on there that are well worth watching if you've not already seen them.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rashers10

Dodge wrote: »
    http://instantwatcher.com/genres/282

That site has a list of TV series on the US netflix. I find the 'normal' search awful

Quite a list...

That's the dream. I'd pay a bit more than 7 Euro to have access to all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Anyone experiencing audio sync problems on PS3. Happened to me on two half hour TV shows last night (after about 15 mins viewing not initially?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

PS3 to TV, quality is indistinguishable from DVD and sometimes approaching bluray or broadcast HD, laptop to TV wouldn't be the best quality I'd imagine .

Laptop to TV via HDMI. Perfect picture.

I'm currently watching 24 Season 1 again - which I haven't seen since it's original broadcast - and The Thick of It.

I'll check out Breaking Bad next as everyone seems to be recommending it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

US Netflix also has every episode of The X Files. I was almost dismayed to discover this as it's going to wreak havoc with the last shred of productivity I had left.

Quantum Leap, The Wonder Years and every Star Trek series on there too.

Also on the US Netflix, every episode of The Larry Sanders Show.

I'm seriously considering taking a few weeks off work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

how's everybody doing on download caps?

I have all the hardware but im on eircom 7mb/50gb

dunno would it be practical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

The wii works fine, SD only though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

great idea for a thread, the other ones in films and bargain alerts just seem to now be all about how to change your dns settings to access the US catalogue. I for one am perfectly happy with the default Irish one at the moment and theres enough to keep to me going for quite a while. It'd be nice to keep this thread focused on the Irish catalogue with recommendations and hidden gems which may not be easy to find.

I think they have updated it a little since it launched. I say this because the movie Punisher: War Zone which previously was unavailable (i think) when i clicked on it in the taste profile (which lets you rate films so it gives better recomendations, although many of these films are unavailable) is now available although this never showed up on new releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

How does everyone have access to the US library? I tried the ipblocker but to no avail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Bagel

The swedish version of Wallender is very good. I caught a few of them on BBC 4 so looking forward to seeing a series worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭budhabob

I've started watching Jericho at the minute. People on here have recommended it before so giving it a go. Really enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

budhabob wrote: »
    I've started watching Jericho at the minute. People on here have recommended it before so giving it a go. Really enjoying it so far.

Really enjoyed that show when it aired, was a pity when it cancelled but I thought they had a lot of fun in the last half a season or so....Nuts!

sillo wrote: »
    Really enjoyed that show when it aired, was a pity when it cancelled but I thought they had a lot of fun in the last half a season or so....Nuts!

It's been continued through the medium of comicbook. You can pick up season 3 online and it's well worth a read for fans of the show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Just watched a doco on the evils of walmart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Watched a movie there "hard candy" Jesus I don't know what to make of it. It was an ok film but it's kinda fked up...if you watch you'll know what I mean :eek:

Don't know what to make of netflix at the moment. Not much of a selection on there and the layout is kinda crappy. Not gonna pay after my month is up until they start adding decent titles to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

LaVail wrote: »
    Watched a movie there "hard candy" Jesus I don't know what to make of it. It was an ok film but it's kinda fked up...if you watch you'll know what I mean :eek:

Indeed. It's a good movie but hard to watch if you are a bloke. I tell you one thing.....you will never look at Ellen Page the same way again! :p

Fair played to her though, she does the part justice. It was kind of her breakout role and got her noticed for stuff like x-men, juno, inception etc.

Watched Senna last night, fantastic and dramatic documentary and I've no interest in Formula 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

While the streaming technology seems to be excellent, I think I'll be cancelling my subscription before the free month is up unless they significantly improve their very crappy selection of movies - very poor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Zirconia wrote: »
    While the streaming technology seems to be excellent, I think I'll be cancelling my subscription before the free month is up unless they significantly improve their very crappy selection of movies - very poor!

This is a recommendations thread

Great documentary called "Best, Worse Movie" about a awful film called "Troll 2" that has become a cult hit because of its awfulness, some whacky characters in the documentary.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Zirconia wrote: »

I agree no way will i pay when the selection is very very bad, its a petty because i would of payed if they put more titles up, i know a good few other people that will cancel as well.
    Very bad decision on Netflix part because these people would of payed after there first month if they was a decent selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Every episode of Battlestar Gallactica is available on the US site.

I'll definitely keep the sub for a while. There is tons of stuff I want to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

The Yellowstone documentary in HD is pretty unbelievable.I dont know how they get some of this footage.

Just watched a few episodes of the original Twilight Zone, lovely stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Friend found every episode of Married With Children last night. Each to their own...

Personally I've been catching up with Party Down and Parks and Rec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

The movie The lives of others and comedy inbetweeners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Workaholics is pretty funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Started Dexter on Netflix and blown away! It's the best series I've ever seen and can't believe I only discovered it now. Only first two series on Netflix though. The selection in general is pretty poor. Not sure it's worth the monthly charge but will stick with it for a while anyway. Selection would want to improve drastically for me to stay long-term though.

Started Dexter on Netflix and blown away! It's the best series I've ever seen and can't believe I only discovered it now. Only first two series on Netflix though. The selection in general is pretty poor. Not sure it's worth the monthly charge but will stick with it for a while anyway. Selection would want to improve drastically for me to stay long-term though.

Well 2 boxsets of Dexter would cost you a fair bit more than €7 so I'm not sure you can argue about value

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Dodge wrote: »
    Well 2 boxsets of Dexter would cost you a fair bit more than €7 so I'm not sure you can argue about value

That's a valid point. But I look at it as being poor value compared to the US prices and content. And also the few times there's something I want to watch online cos I can't get it on tv there's the option just illegally stream it so free to 6.99 is another comparison you could do. I'm a bit of an innocent and illegal streaming doesn't sit well with me so I'm happy to pay to view.

If it was €6.99 for the American content I think that's good value and keep up the subscription. But if there's nothing I want to watch on it I'll just cancel the subscription. At the moment there's not that much I want to watch on it. Can easily see me running out of things before the free month is up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I was happy to find both seasons of Russell T Davies' The Grand on the US version. It's a period drama made in 1997, set in a Manchester hotel in the aftermath of WW1. It's a bit grim though. Davies has since said that he made the mistake of equating good drama with tragedy and if he was writing it again might lighten it up a bit. Still though, I've yet to see anything as tragic as events of ep 5 of Children of Earth so I'll keep watching.

I was also really disappointed to see a couple of recasts between series 1 and 2. It's hard to accept that a character you've gotten to know has just had a complete head, body and voice transplant. (Especially as it took me a bit of effort to accept Stephen Moyer as a young upper middle class Brit with PTSD rather than a Confederate vampire.)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PCwiggum

just came across jim jeffries: alcoholocaust. watching now...excellent aussie stand up. maybe not everyones cup of tea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

It's been said a fair bit so far. But Dexter!

Only a couple of episodes in but it's great so far. Kinda reminds me of American Psycho a little.

Also watched The IT Crowd, great laugh.

King Of Kong was insane watching. The lengths those boys go through. I like my gaming, but not that much. And your man Billy Mitchell looks like a right prick :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Movie I haven't seen in years and discovered in my recommendations section and loved as much as the other 10 times I saw it...... "Dazed and Confused" great music from start to finish to .... love that song at the end (Slow Ride by Fog Hat ... I think)

Twin Peaks is getting a look too.

I'd kill for some more kind of discovery channel / bbc documentary on it

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Redditor

I didn't see anything much when I looked at the list of stuff the other day, but this thread has shown me a fair few great shows. Might give it a spin after all.

Pity they don't accept laser, a lot of people including myself have ditched the evil credit card.

Redditor wrote: »
    I didn't see anything much when I looked at the list of stuff the other day, but this thread has shown me a fair few great shows. Might give it a spin after all.

Pity they don't accept laser, a lot of people including myself have ditched the evil credit card.

So have I, I use a prepaid Mastercard for things like this.

Watched this documentary last night on it, jaw dropping and disturbing stuff about a family of hillbilly criminals in Virginia, never seen as much open drug use and scary characters in any film including Scarface!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

DeWitt wrote: »
    Has anyone found any shows or movies not listed in the genre selections? Looking through their tv category there's not much, but I saw another subscriber talking about Dirty Sexy Money, did a Y search & whatd'ya know there it was. Strange it's not listed in their catalogue.

Yeah Ive noticed this too. Loads of flaws in the search function. Should be able to search for actor / character too. And a trailer / snippet of movie or tv show before you press play would be good.

On another note, Just started watchign the 4400 and I'm really enjoying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

NotorietyH wrote: »
    If you have access to the US Netflix they have every episode of Friday Night Lights. Just watched first episode and really enjoyed it. Supposed to be a great series.

Just started watching it last night. Four episodes in and really enjoying. Ir seems like its disguised as a teen drama but has a lot more bite to it.

Hope the standard remains high.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

adox wrote: »
    Just started watching it last night. Four episodes in and really enjoying. Ir seems like its dusguised as a team drama but has a lot more bite to it.

Keep watching It great show it is .

Skinfull wrote: »
    Yeah Ive noticed this too. Loads of flaws in the search function. Should be able to search for actor / character too. And a trailer / snippet of movie or tv show before you press play would be good.

You can seach for pretty much anything once you're logged in to ntflix.com on your pc/laptop (including actor etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

adox wrote: »
    Just started watching it last night. Four episodes in and really enjoying. Ir seems like its disguised as a teen drama but has a lot more bite to it.

It does, I'm into season 4 at this stage and it's just fantastic. Season 2 isn't quite up to the same standard as the rest, but is still very good, some great moments in it.

What I love about it is that it just seems so natural. It's so good at portraying the small everyday dramas rather than the big melodramas (which do happen occassionally on it). There's a lot of heart to the show and I think the relationship between Coach Taylor and his wife keeps the show grounded. It's just a pitch perfect show. They do such a good job of making you emotionally invest in the characters.

Even when it's cheesy you forgive it, because a lot of the characters are the type of people who would say cheesy things from time to time.

just signed up

theres no password for login?

whats the story there -do people not just login using other peoples email

There is a password needed.

There is a password needed.

could be
    I completed a signup on the mobile today which I had started previously on a pc last week

there was no mention of password to complete it with visa details today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I've been watching Prison Break and 24. Never got round to watching either but they were both extremely popular when on TV iirc :o. Finished S01 of Prison Break and I'm on EP4 of 24. Both are great!

After watching The Man from Nowhere(again), Netflix started recommending things for me to watch. Came across this Korean drama in the list called City Hunter that had a high rating(4.3/5) and good reviews. I gave it a go and now I'm six episodes into it. It's terrific!
    In 1983, 21 South Korean military operatives are sent into North Korea on a secret mission. After completing their mission, they are executed by their own side in the waters off North Korea in a government cover-up. There is one survivor: Lee Jin Pyo, who watches as his closest friend died beside him. Taking his friend's son, Jin Pyo raises him as his own and trains him with one goal: to take revenge on the men responsible for this massacre.
    Some twenty years later, a brilliant young man joins the international communications team of the Blue House (Korea's White House). Lee Yoon Sung (Lee Min Ho) has but one mission in mind: to find and bring down the five men responsible for the murder of his father and the destruction of his life. To do so, he must hide his identity, his fighting skills, and his true nature. In his quest for revenge, however, he also enacts justice, and is given the nickname "City Hunter" by the populace, who know only of a shadowy figure exposing corruption in their city. Torn between his surrogate father's drive for vengeance and Kim Na Na (Park Min Young), the girl whose courage and innocence touch him, Yoon Sung must fight to survive, and choose the path he will take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Netflix offerings seem poor enough at the moment. However I do recommend Californication and Breaking Bad. Quality TV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Signed up for a free month's trial and watched the pilot of Dexter, which I'm completely unfamiliar with. Probably not something I'll use long term due to not really having the time and other things being out there, don't know yet. The quality of the stream was good, a lot better than I was expecting - not pixelated. Was able to watch through the Wii on the TV, which was handy. Re recommendations, another vote for Breaking Bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭itchy elbows

Found a great Irish comedy called holy water on it, it's about lads trying to rob viagra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286244/

came across 'The Triplets of Belleville' recently. Clicked in to check what it was about, had no inclination/ time to sit down and watch it. Was completely drawn in and ended up watching the whole thing in one sitting - fantastic movie. Would recommend to anyone!

• Advertisement
Advertisement