Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goverment Failure in current Weather crisis

Options
  • 07-01-2010 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

Things couldn't be more different from the last time Ireland faced weather conditions like these

"
    IN the big freeze of January 1982, temperatures dropped so low that home-heating oil froze in tanks and blocks of ice floated down the River Liffey.
    Temperatures plummeted to -15C, and things were so bad that the Canadian government donated six snowmobiles to the nation.
    The Irish Independent reported on Monday, January 11, that the government had told cash-strapped local authorities that a "blank cheque" was offered to "get the nation moving again".
    But the following day, matters had not improved. 'We're still stuck -- the big freeze drags on', the lead story of January 12 said. But the next day, the Army had arrived to clear the streets.
    'Storm Troopers -- Government bring in the Army ice-breakers', the paper reported.
    The then-Tanaiste and Minister for Energy Michael O'Leary took on the mantle of 'Minister for Snow', but four days after the country was hit Taoiseach Garret FitzGerald returned from his Tenerife sun holiday to take charge. The entire country was hit with snow storms on Friday, January 8, with 26cm recorded at Dublin Airport. In areas where there was drifting, the snow was up to 1.5 metres deep. The storm was so bad that hundreds of people were trapped inside Dublin Airport as the access roads were piled high with snowdrifts. Hundreds of cars were abandoned on the Naas dual carriageway and the lowest observed temperature was recorded at Glasnevin in Dublin on January 12 -- an Arctic -19.6C.
    The response of the Government was vastly different. Instead of local authorities being tasked with keeping the country moving, the Government set up an emergency committee to co-ordinate efforts. Mr Fitzgerald ordered an immediate review of the strategy four days into the crisis, and 500 soldiers were drafted on to the streets of Dublin to clear snow. "

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/storm-troopers-fought-1982-freeze-2002695.html

What are the government doing this time S.F.A., things really need to change in this country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

while at a not so long length for other forums, methinks it's too long for a read in AH

NEXT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Brian Cowen salted my driveway yesterday so I'm happy enough.

Thanks Senor Cowen!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Surely Mary Harney could block the snow in some way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I now blame the Eu for not helping us with the crisis, they control the weather. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That was more than slightly different to what's going on now. Two inches of snow against 1.5m drifts. People in suburbs were trapped in their homes for weeks and had to have food and milk air-lifted in back then. Now, it's cold and a bit slippy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Not exactly comparible, it's not -19.6 and there's not 1.5m of snow. It's just a bit of snow, ther roads need gritting and a few extra measures put in place but it's not armageddon. Chill out.

-Funk

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

What's this standstill carp, I made it from my home in Kilkenny to my work in Carlow this morning because I'm not a numpty and took the train, a lot (not all) of people are using this as an excuse to scive because they are wussies, some people don't realise how not severe this weather is, it's a bit snow. If you have taken the day off enjoy it as it may be some time before we get snow like this again.

Now to go and fire some snowballs at people as no one is coming near the shop today.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I now blame the Eu for not helping us with the crisis, they control the weather. :mad:

I wish I knew for certain you were taking the piss with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's not a crisis or emergency.

It's a bit of snow. Stop listening to the media and their hyping-up bull****.

If we spend €50m on equipment for something that occurs once every couple of years and doesn't have any major effect on the country aside from a few days off school and work, the media would be wailing about money wasting and jobs for the boys.

Just get on with life and stop making a big fncking drama about every piddly little thing. I got home last night, I got into work today, aside from things taking a little longer, my life nor anyone I know's life has not been affected in any major way. So stop panicking and get on with it.

Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

BennyLava wrote: »
    ...Minister for Energy Michael O'Leary ...

No way!

• Advertisement

Anway, http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0107/weather.html

"A Government emergency response committee is to meet this morning to discuss the ongoing problems caused by the cold snap.

The committee is made up of representatives from the departments of transport, environment, health education, the Taoiseach and other agencies."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The difference between todays cold Spell and 1982 is that we just havent got a big widespread snowfall.

It has been exceptionally cold for a prolonged period of time however and if we did get a foot dumping of snow this winter would be worse than 1982 but at the moment that is looking unlikely at this time although the cold weather could yet cling on for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

only the Irish could not enjoy a bit of snow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭Archeron

I got a snow day, I got a snow day.....

Not that bad to be honest. I dont want to spend 4 hours getting home again today, so I was told not to come in and I didnt argue as I can work from home. I've checked on elderly neighbours, they're all fine and have my number if they need anything, so bar slidey car crashes and slips, I'm actually quite enjoying this.

Walking through Tallaght yesterday, everybody had a big smile on their faces, young and old alike, and 50 year old men and women were throwing snowballs at each other. And in a pleasant Christmas card way as well, not a scobie causing damage kind of way.

Its cheering a lot of people up, at least its not the depressing grey that January normally brings.

Yes, I'll be glad when its gone, but in the meantime, LETS MAKE SNOW MEN!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Emergency response commmmmitt-eeeeee set up after 3 weeks of freezing weather? Well done lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

only the Irish could not enjoy a bit of snow!!

Did you dream up this response all on your own or did you consult 'Dr Cliches Enormous Book of Cliches'?

The difference between todays cold Spell and 1982 is that we just havent got a big widespread snowfall.

It has been exceptionally cold for a prolonged period of time however and if we did get a foot dumping of snow this winter would be worse than 1982 but at the moment that is looking unlikely at this time although the cold weather could yet cling on for weeks.

What about the snow that's forecast for the weekend? Will there not be much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Yeah!! Its all media hype. Dublin Bus just left me and hundreds more stranded last night by pulling all services at 4pm yesterday afternoon due to the hype!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

seamus wrote: »

If we spend €50m on equipment for something that occurs once every couple of years and doesn't have any major effect on the country aside from a few days off school and work, the media would be wailing about money wasting and jobs for the boys.

Just get on with life and stop making a big fncking drama about every piddly little thing. I got home last night, I got into work today, aside from things taking a little longer, my life nor anyone I know's life has not been affected in any major way. So stop panicking and get on with it.

Jesus Christ.

You wouldn't even need to spend €50 million to buy 20 or 30 snow ploughs and set them to work 24/7 for a week.
    And the total cost to the economy of this bad weather so far has been reported as €80 million so its really a no-brainer to have this type of equipment at our disposal.
    But then again our government have no-brains which explains why we have no snow ploughs.

I bet every single Polish person living here is laughing their heads off at the Irish response to this 'emergency'. If this was Poland they'd have the army out clearing the snow 24/7. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

How the hell is this weather a crisis? A bit of frost and snow and people that can't deal with it must find someone to blame. Get over it. I heard some idiot on the radio the other day saying that it was a national disaster, he must be some 12 year old that never before saw frost or snow. And these people that think salt is magic and that the council must put it up to their doorway in case they might slip :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

No way!

It's not THAT Michael O'Leary.

He would have been about 20 years of age at that stage.

It's this one : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_O%27Leary_%28politician%29

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    It's not THAT Michael O'Leary.

He would have been about 20 years of age at that stage.

It's this one : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_O%27Leary_%28politician%29

I know ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Size=everything

RATM wrote: »

I bet every single Polish person living here is laughing their heads off at the Irish response to this 'emergency'. If this was Poland they'd have the army out clearing the snow 24/7. Job done.

Polish friend was just laughing this morning about how theres not even a 1/4 of an inch of snow and the city is essentially shut down. Shops closing early, bus routes stopped, cars going literally 5mph etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Yeah!! Its all media hype. Dublin Bus just left me and hundreds more stranded last night by pulling all services at 4pm yesterday afternoon due to the hype!!!

Two different issue. The conditions are not bad. Its the complete failure to grit anywhere thats made the roads dangerous.

Polish friend was just laughing this morning about how theres not even a 1/4 of an inch of snow and the city is essentially shut down. Shops closing early, bus routes stopped, cars going literally 5mph etc.

Deeply embrassing that we can't manage a tiny bit of snow.

seamus wrote: »

Jesus Christ.

Guess you don't know any old people who are completely stranded at home because they can't use the pavements. All for the sake of a bit of grit.

I don't understand why they aren't gritting. Other times they've gritted everywhere well before a cold snap and on most roads with no problem.

I can only assume they didn't buy in grit to save money. I can't see any other reason.

Once they let the roads get a bit snow built up, it was too late. If they'd gritted at the start and kept traffic moving the snow would not have built up like it has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

What crisis? its only a wee drop of snow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Wasn't that a promise of Lisbon? Vote yes and life will be awesome, i.e. you won't be snowed in ever again???

Liars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

RATM wrote: »
    You wouldn't even need to spend €50 million to buy 20 or 30 snow ploughs and set them to work 24/7 for a week.
    And the total cost to the economy of this bad weather so far has been reported as €80 million so its really a no-brainer to have this type of equipment at our disposal.
    But then again our government have no-brains which explains why we have no snow ploughs.

I'm over in the UK at the moment, and it seems to be affecting them as badly - it's cost them closer to €800 million from what I read yesterday. Lots of businesses, schools, roads are closed as well. If we had conditions like this every year, then I think a rant might be more deserved - but we don't (yet). I know the conditions are worse in the UK, but they always seem to get more extremes than us.

Advertisement