Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your odd phobias?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I know someone who can't stand when people let cutlery touch their teeth when eating.

I'm not a fan of spiders. I'll kill irish ones, no problem. But I was going to head to Dominican Republic for a holiday and on trip advisor loads of people mention tarantulas, and now I'm not sure I want to go. I google imaged them and even the pictures make my skin crawl

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I had to think for a good while about this as while I've a fear of heights, I don't think it's all that irrational TBH.

However, I do have a fear of chipping, breaking or losing my teeth, probably due to various nightmares about it! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Foxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Moths and seaweed.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Highly Salami

speed cameras

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Crabs :o

Like bigger spiders and crunchier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Milky Moo wrote: »

Walking past mirrors in the dark.

The toilet flushing at night freaks me out for some strange reason.

I'm seriously freaked out by mirrors, I was a little bit when I was younger but then I saw Omen which fúcked me up completely. I have to close my eyes when I'm closing the door on the cabinet mirror thingys.:o

I can't flush the toilet late at night when I'm on my own, I think it's from a book or something that I heard of when I was younger.:o

This isn't one of my fears, but my nephew is terrified of fire. I lit up a lighter and he nearly started crying because he thought that the house would burn down.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MissIT

Custard.. gives me the heeby geebys.. ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

Novella wrote: »
    I'm afraid of butter and people pinching the skin on the backs of their elbows.
    This made me laugh, I can't stand bellybuttons, even my own, ugghh. The thought of a baby with the bit of the umbilical cord (black bit) is making me shiver now, Yuk.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

shrimp,i despise them
    Yup, this too! And squid...ugh sick:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Arachibutyrophobia. I love the stuff but have to drink water before putting the peanut butter into my mouth so it doesn't stick to the roof of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

Trí wrote: »
    The wooden stick in an ice pop. Freaks me out - hate sucking the ice cream off it.
    Ooh me too, can't stand the sensation, horrible. < shivers>
    Biggest fear though is Daddy-Long-Legs, creepy feckers, flying around with their legs dangling beneath them and I can't stand the fact that they have KNEES, totally irrational I know but I can't help it, they don't even fly in a straight line, they zigzag all over the place so you can't even avoid them, a few years ago I though I had a hair in my mouth, when I took it out I was a leg from a Daddy-Long-Legs. Freaked me out for days, couldn't stop brushing my teeth. Even the memory is making me shake. I run from the room if I see one and I hate September when they're dying off as their flying is even more erratic than usual making them harder to get away from. They totally freak me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭The Shark

Big disgusting horrible jellyfish, ugh!
    Not the clear little fellas can deal with them..

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭gmonov1

i lived with a few friends in australia and we advertised for a new roommate to help split the rent. we got this english girl, nice enough but she told us one night while drinking that she had a weird phobia of newspaper. next day while she was in work we thought we'd fill her room wit it, we put it on the walls, in her bed, on all the handles of her drawers, wardrobes etc.
    we thought she'd only be a little bit creeped out by it but she totally freaked out, had a full blown panic attack and started vomiting, hysterically crying, the lot!! we felt really bad and took it all down but when we got back from work the next day she'd moved out. oops

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

for me its crabs, spiders, birds, other peoples hair - even head hair, and feet. i think myn are all normal enough :)

I work with a girl who has the strangest phobias though. Jelly, bellybuttons, boths, birds, men shorter than her, and plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sunrise91

Touching my bellybutton. I don't know why, I can't touch it and I can't let other people go near it.. It just freaks me out!
    Moths
    Going down escalators. I can go up them but going down is another story!
    Touching the veins on the back of my wrist. It just feels unnatural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I can't stand phobias - they really freak me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

never heard of anyone else afraid of my biggest fear. Seeds!! not one or two on their own, just when theyre all together stickin up every which way etc (like in a yellow melon, possibly the scariest of all seedy things)

its weird! some things that resemble seeds too, like cobbles that are the small rounded stones. but my fear is only if its 3D, like if the cobbles are causing shade on one side of the stone. or the seeds are all sticking up. *shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

I have a terrible fear of buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Biting into a wad of cotton wool

Spiders

Ghosties........ [not the crisps, the dead people]

Gah! Just the site of it makes me want to be sick. Couldn't do some biology experiments at school coz of it!

Same with velvet, I would make those pink and purple velvet tracksuits illegal if I had my way. Ugh! The feel of it makes me want to rip my nails off my hands. Very strange.

And broken bones. particularly bones in the legs...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

emzolita wrote: »
    never heard of anyone else afraid of my biggest fear. Seeds!! not one or two on their own, just when theyre all together stickin up every which way etc (like in a yellow melon, possibly the scariest of all seedy things)

its weird! some things that resemble seeds too, like cobbles that are the small rounded stones. but my fear is only if its 3D, like if the cobbles are causing shade on one side of the stone. or the seeds are all sticking up. *shudder*

I just googled "fear of seeds".. according to WikiAnswers, it says (not kidding) -

"Q: What is a fear of seeds called?

A: Weird."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

I have an irrational fear of Grey Aliens. Not their behaviour, just their appearance. I'm not as bad as I used to be as a kid, but they still freak me out alright. I remember in the Beano there was an ad for a limited edition flavour of Chewits that had 4 greys in it, and I couldn't bare to have the page open, I just couldn't do it. I never did find out what the Bash Street Kids got up to that week....

Funny thing is that I had a great interest in paranormal stuff and aliens topped the list, so what fascinated me the most was something that I also feared the most. Very ironic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

Whenever the bus turns a corner (even a gentle corner) I'm always convinced it's going to tip over =/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

lalee17 wrote: »
    Whenever the bus turns a corner (even a gentle corner) I'm always convinced it's going to tip over =/

Same here. Yet I pretty much always insist on sitting upstairs for some reason.

Most of my phobias are ones I seem to share with other people - lifts, wasps, clowns (I blame stephen king's It), porcelain dolls, puppets, manequins... I also hate paintings with children in them. Freak me out. I have no idea why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Pingu-D

bosco used terrify the bejesus out of me i have no idea why!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭shivvyban

Anything with dinosaurs in it - was traumatised after Jurassic Park and if I so much as get a glimpse of a dinosaur on tv, etc. I have nightmares for days afterwards... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

My cousin's girlfriend has a phobia of cheese. If cheese is on someones food she can't even be in the same room she gets that scared. He has to have pizza on the sly without her knowing.
    What's funniest is she works in a restaurant. How she gets away with not having a panic attack everyday is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

sunrise91 wrote: »
    Touching my bellybutton. I don't know why, I can't touch it and I can't let other people go near it..

At last, for a long time i feared i was the only one!!

Also cheese and things that look like cheese, especially when abroad i'm convinced them dirty foriegners are slipping cheese into my food thinking i won't notice. Well, not on my watch jose, hell no!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Homer, your cousin should marry that girl, she sounds just perfect:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

razor blades. just the thought of one slicing my eye lids off or the tip of my fingers :(
    Originally Posted by Trí

Anything to do with fingernails. That f*cking flicking sound drives me demented.

yeah, have this phobia of my fingernails being ripped off with pliers.

Advertisement