Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions Regarding FCA1

Options
  • 19-09-2014 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi guys,
    Finally got around to filling out my Application and I've a few questions for you lot..

1.) Section 2.2 - Brief Medical History

I do not have a doctor.. I don't think I've ever gone to one besides times I've thought I broke a bone etc. and of course in those situations I don't know the doctors personally.. what should I write for this section or what should I do? The application is asking for a name and address!

2.) Section 2.5 - Proof of Competence

Is there some course that I'm unaware of that I should have taken? Or is it simply going to the club, getting someone to look at you shooting and get a signed letter off them saying you can shoot safely?

3.) Section 4.1 - Certificate Details

Max. number of rounds applied for? I'm only really interested in an Air Rifle at the moment.. what should I say? I doubt they'd care too much about pellets!

Thanks for the help ladies and gents!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I do not have a doctor.. I don't think I've ever gone to one besides times I've thought I broke a bone etc. and of course in those situations I don't know the doctors personally.. what should I write for this section or what should I do? The application is asking for a name and address!
    Leave it blank, and on the separate sheet of paper with additional information highlight the section and say you do not have a regular GP or one that you have visited with any frequency. Write down if it's needed you can name the local Doctor, but as he has never dealt with you then it's a moot point.
    2.) Section 2.5 - Proof of Competence

Is there some course that I'm unaware of that I should have taken? Or is it simply going to the club, getting someone to look at you shooting and get a signed letter off them saying you can shoot safely?
    There is a course.

Each club, range and association has it's own version. None are An Gardaí approved so simply find out which one is local to you, do it, and hand in a copy of the certificate you get.

This is only necessary if it's a first time application. Not for the gun, but for your first EVER gun. If you've own firearms previously leave it blank as previous ownership counts as competency.
    3.) Section 4.1 - Certificate Details

Max. number of rounds applied for? I'm only really interested in an Air Rifle at the moment.. what should I say? I doubt they'd care too much about pellets!
    They are classed, under law, the very same as a .3308 round. So it's important you get this right.

The tins, mostly, come in 500s. This means one tin and your ammo amount needs to be 500. Unlike cartridge based firearms you have no empty brass (as that too counts towards your total ammo limit), however most air rifle shooters would want at least one or two tins spare. Plus the amounts in a tin can be imperfect. While the chances of a Garda actually counting out each pellet in a tin the 500 on the label may not be what is inside. It could be 502, 505, 497, etc.

So on the separate sheet of paper highlight that you are talking about section 4.1, and give a reason for the amount of ammo you require. If you ask for a high amount and don't give an explanation they may issue you with 100 and as they mostly come in tins of 500 it means you will have to search for a particular brand that comes in tins of 100 and you can only buy one tin at a time.

My opinion, were i you, would be to ask for 1,000 rounds. Explain that the pellets come in tins of 500 and due to the uncertainty of the amounts in each tin (as explained above), and to avoid having to make numerous trips to the RFD to buy a new can you want to be able to hold two tins at a time. Explain that anything less than 500 is useless due to the amounts the tins come in.

At worse you might only get 500, but it's better than 100.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mike923

Thanks Cass.

Final question! Are you guaranteed the license once you've filled the form out correctly and have everything in order or is it a bit hit and miss?

My reason is I don't want to put a deposit down on an expensive rifle if there's a chance my application will be refused

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

There are never any guarantees. You will also need to submit a dealers letters with your application for the rifle you intend to buy and as such you need to pay for it in the form of a deposit. It's for this reason i always say people should pay no more than 10% on anything up to €1,000 or 5% on anything over that figure.

Some dealers may insist on putting all the money up front. This is a mistake (on the buyers part). If you get refused then technically you still own the rifle, just you cannot take possession of it. Then you need the dealer to sell it for you. So if a dealer insists on all the money up front (barring it's a custom order they are shipping in for you) then refuse and go elsewhere.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Hi guys,
    Finally got around to filling out my Application and I've a few questions for you lot..

Ring up any GP and ask can you become a patient - (I am assuming you do not have a medical card). There should be no problem and they are unlikely to want to see you.

Section 2.2 is rubbish , where they did not think it through, as every medical report issued to the Gardai costs €250. I have never heard of one being requested .
    But to fill out the application the FO will need one , so just find a GP willing to take you on as a patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

mike923 wrote: »
    Thanks Cass.

Final question! Are you guaranteed the license once you've filled the form out correctly and have everything in order or is it a bit hit and miss?

My reason is I don't want to put a deposit down on an expensive rifle if there's a chance my application will be refused

I would think if you have everything in order and "good reason" it is unlikely to be refused, unless you have had prior criminal convictions or there is evidence of "intemperate behavior" or association with known subversive organization.

• Advertisement
Advertisement