Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Our Greater London Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Hi I've an appointment in canary wharf,never been to London, can anyone offer advice? Is Heathrow, or Gatwick or Stan stead more convenient to fly into ? Thanks,s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Poochie05

London City is right beside Canary Wharf, both British Airways and City Jet fly there from Dublin. Some good fares with City Jet at the moment http://www.cityjet.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Hi I've an appointment in canary wharf,never been to London, can anyone offer advice? Is Heathrow, or Gatwick or Stan stead more convenient to fly into ? Thanks,s

London city would be first choice, then Gatwick (take the train to London Bridge and then it's just 3 stops on the jubilee line)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭rizzla

lxflyer wrote: »

Thanks very much for this.

I was going to get a Visitor Oyster Card and down the bottom it states;

"Pay as you go from early 2016 between Merstham and Gatwick Airport and on Gatwick Express between Victoria and Gatwick Airport"

I'm flying into Gatwick so will my Oyster Card work fine then? All the info I can find I think is out of date. I was going to get £30 loaded on the card for 3 days for use mainly around central London. Biggest journey will be from the airport. Never been so advice very much appreciated.

I'm guessing the airport is way outside the daily cap zones, can't seem to find how much it will cost though.

EDIT: I think I found it at £16.20 for journey. So I will then be on and off for the rest of that day would anyone be able to show me how I'd figure out my cap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,932 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

rizzla wrote: »

"Pay as you go from early 2016 between Merstham and Gatwick Airport and on Gatwick Express between Victoria and Gatwick Airport"

I'm flying into Gatwick so will my Oyster Card work fine then? All the info I can find I think is out of date. I was going to get £30 loaded on the card for 3 days for use mainly around central London. Biggest journey will be from the airport. Never been so advice very much appreciated.

I'm guessing the airport is way outside the daily cap zones, can't seem to find how much it will cost though.

EDIT: I think I found it at £16.20 for journey. So I will then be on and off for the rest of that day would anyone be able to show me how I'd figure out my cap?

Are you flying into and out of Gatwick?

Are you flying into and out of Gatwick?

I am yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

They love to write confusing instructions. You can use Oyster to travel to Gatwick airport on the three rail companies Southern, Gatwick Express and Thameslink providing you are starting your journey (or ending it for journeys commencing at Gatwick Airport) within the TfL zone. The reference to Merstham is because it is on the zone 6 boundary. It's a convoluted way of saying that you can't use Oyster to head towards Brighton or Bognor Regis but can use it if you're heading into or from London.

I am yep.

Well then it's cheaper to use a normal return ticket on the train to/from Gatwick than to use Oyster. Oyster is only cheaper for single trips.

Cheapest option is Thameslink which will drop you to Blackfriars.

Avoid Gatwick Express at all costs - much more expensive.

Use Oyster for trips around central London.

If you plan on returning to London again get a normal Oyster card.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭limerickabroad

Hi all,

I will be in London for a 3 day weekend next month. First time since I was a child. Just wondering what would be my best option for using the Underground for 3 days (mostly short hops around the city centre)? Is there such a thing as a 3-day travel pass? There is a blizzard of (unclear) options online, which are difficult to figure out for a newbie to London. Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

@limerickabroad same as post above. Get an Oyster Card, whack 20/30 quid on it and you'll be grand for 3 days. You can get a refund on unused credit when you're leaving, or hang on to it for next time.

Cheapest option is Thameslink which will drop you to Blackfriars.

Thanks very much. Will definitely go with Thameslink, regarding ticket types. I was gonna go with the open return ticket. Just worried that I have to select the train I depart on when I arrive by the minute. Never know if my flight may be delayed etc. Am I better of just purchasing the return ticket in the station on the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Well then it's cheaper to use a normal return ticket on the train to/from Gatwick than to use Oyster. Oyster is only cheaper for single trips.

If you are going to use oyster PAYG on the same day/days as trips to/from Gatwick it will probably be cheaper than seperate tickets as the Gatwick part is included in the day cap. That only applies on Thameslink or Southern NOT Gatwick Express.

Thanks very much. Will definitely go with Thameslink, regarding ticket types. I was gonna go with the open return ticket. Just worried that I have to select the train I depart on when I arrive by the minute. Never know if my flight may be delayed etc. Am I better of just purchasing the return ticket in the station on the day?

Open return tickets on Thameslink are not time specific.

Just pick a train that suits you, but you can still get any other departure.

Online journey planners require you to select specific trains to sell you the correct tickets, those tickets are not always tied to specific trains.

Anything listed as Anytime, Off peak, super off peak are not tied to any train and can be used on any valid train. They are also not discounted for advance purchase, bought from the station they are the same price.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    If you are going to use oyster PAYG on the same day/days as trips to/from Gatwick it will probably be cheaper than seperate tickets as the Gatwick part is included in the day cap. That only applies on Thameslink or Southern NOT Gatwick Express.

Not so I'm afraid.

The cap from Gatwick is £30 anytime and £19 after 09:30.

Paper off-peak travel cards from Gatwick are £17 for Thameslink & Southern, £16.30 for Southern only and £14.30 for Thameslink only.

As far as I can tell (and I have researched it quite a bit), Oyster really should only be used to/from Gatwick if buying a single ticket.

Not so I'm afraid.

The cap from Gatwick is £30 anytime and £19 after 09:30.

Paper off-peak travel cards from Gatwick are £17 for Thameslink & Southern, £16.30 for Southern only and £14.30 for Thameslink only.

As far as I can tell (and I have researched it quite a bit), Oyster really should only be used to/from Gatwick if buying a single ticket.

You are correct. The normally reliable source I used has incorrectly applied the z1-9 cap to Gatwick fares.

The lack of clear information from TfL about the fares for this extension is very disappointing although as it is far from a bargain it does appear to be a rather cynical chapter. It does explain why Southern/GTR who were dead against accepting Oyster outside London have now agreed, this will no doubt be a good deal for them.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    You are correct. The normally reliable source I used has incorrectly applied the z1-9 cap to Gatwick fares.

The lack of clear information from TfL about the fares for this extension is very disappointing although as it is far from a bargain it does appear to be a rather cynical chapter. It does explain why Southern/GTR who were dead against accepting Oyster outside London have now agreed, this will no doubt be a good deal for them.

My bible for all things Oyster and National Rail is:
    http://www.oyster-rail.org.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭limerickabroad

Another question here from a London newbie. I'll be flying out of Stansted coming home - late night Ryanair flight. How much time do I need to get through Stansted, (so I can maximise my time in London)? I'll have just a shoulder bag, boarding pass already printed, so no check in. Is 60/70 minutes cutting it too fine?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Get a fast pass and you'll definitely be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Another question here from a London newbie. I'll be flying out of Stansted coming home - late night Ryanair flight. How much time do I need to get through Stansted, (so I can maximise my time in London)? I'll have just a shoulder bag, boarding pass already printed, so no check in. Is 60/70 minutes cutting it too fine?
    Thanks!

Give yourself 90 mins minimum... Because it 60 mins CAN be possibly done doesn't mean that it always would work like that. I dont know how you are getting to the airport but your train could be late, stopped on the track for a while, traffic on the roads.. could be a crash etc.... or any delay like that and there is pretty much zero padding at all with even a moderate delay when you factor in getting to security, getting through security and the long walk to the gate... not worth the hassle. Security screening at STN unless quiet can be a hassle they seem to be more fussy then most airports I travel through and pretty rude with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭harry999

Hi everyone. I'm new to Boards so I apologise in advance if I'm asking questions that have already been asked & probably answered! I'm going to London for 3 nights & 4 days this weekend. Is Camden market good or is there any good markets for fake designer gear? And what days are best to go?

What website is good to see events on London this weekend?

What else beside these 10 attractions is a must to see ?

1. British Museum

2. National Gallery

3. Natural History Museum

4. Southbank Centre

5. Tate Modern

6. Coca-Cola London Eye

7. Victoria and Albert Museum

8. Science Museum

9. Somerset House

10. Tower of London

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

There's a London thread stickied above, you should have a gander through that.

http://www.timeout.com/london for events

That's a nice list you have there but don't try to do too much would be my advice, just enjoy yourself. Also everyone's must see list would be different. If you like food the Borough Market is really interesting, it's not far from the Tate Modern and the Globe Theatre if you're going there.

http://www.boroughmarket.org.uk/

I'm not sure but I thought I heard that the fake stuff was gone from Camden.

Take a river boat to Greenwich and walk up to the Royal Observatory for a fabulous view of London, or alternatively head to Primrose Hill or Hampstead Heath for an equally magnificent view of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kayevajo

hi looking for some advice

going to london this weekend , we are staying in covent gareden.
    would camden town be a good option for friday night? looking to head up at about 1800 till closing time.

any reccomendations as to places to eat here , also pubs / late bars to go to?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Use Oyster for trips around central London.

If you plan on returning to London again get a normal Oyster card.

Has anybody used their Irish contactless bank card as an alternative Oyster card? https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/contactless/what-are-contactless-payment-cards?intcmp=8610

Where there any extra changes?

Wally Runs wrote: »
    Has anybody used their Irish contactless bank card as an alternative Oyster card? https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/contactless/what-are-contactless-payment-cards?intcmp=8610

Where there any extra changes?

There would be extra charges as each trip will be treated as a separate transaction.

So don't do it!

kayevajo wrote: »
    hi looking for some advice

going to london this weekend , we are staying in covent gareden.
    would camden town be a good option for friday night? looking to head up at about 1800 till closing time.

any reccomendations as to places to eat here , also pubs / late bars to go to?

thanks

Camden is a great spot but I avoid it on a Friday / Saturday night as it just gets too busy. Forget about not only trying to find a seat in a pub just somewhere to stand comfortably would be difficult... my favourite pub in the area though is the Hawley Arms just under the bridge opposite the Stables market. Nice ambience.. cool staff and very nice food... really good for afternoon or early evening visit for food and or drinks but also gets rammed at night so unless you get there early and bag a table for the evening. Also in that area The Elephants head is a good music bar.. avoid the Oxford Arms at all costs BTW...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Why are you looking to go to Camden in the first place? Lots of decent pubs near Covent Garden.

Thanks, I asked the bank since posting and aside from having to use their exchange rate, the other charge is a transaction fee of 1.75%.

So 2c on every € spent on transport. I also understand from TfL that you will get only one daily transaction taken from your card. They tally up at the end of the daym so it will 1.75% of your days travel. Finally, you get the same rates and caps as oyster.

All well and good on paper (and the web) but has anyone done this in real life?

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kayevajo

Why are you looking to go to Camden in the first place? Lots of decent pubs near Covent Garden.

Thabks for tge reply

We were told camden town is a lively spot

But will happily stay around covent garden.
    Is it true the pubs around there close at 12?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

O'Neill's near Leicester Square is 3am closing if you still haven't enough drank at midnight! Although there can be a queue after 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

I'm moving to a new place in London and I have a large suitcase and an additional fragile item to take with me. The Bus / rail and sail doesn't look like it will work.

I was hoping I might be able to sync up with someone who's driving over, or even go with a truck driver who has a bit of room to spare. I would of course expect to pay for the privilege and contribute to fuel costs.

It's a shot in the dark, but is anyone driving over any time soon, or is there some resource or ride sharing website out there that might be worth checking out?

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

There would be extra charges as each trip will be treated as a separate transaction.

So don't do it!

I think they just put the whole days travel through as one transaction at the end of the day.

• Advertisement

I think they just put the whole days travel through as one transaction at the end of the day.

Even still though - that makes no sense when compared with using a normal Oyster card.

You're just incurring extra bank charges unnecessarily.

Yes, but if you are only there for a weekend, you do not have to buy an oyster card or have an credit left over that you will never use. This is the advantage I think.

Wally Runs wrote: »
    Yes, but if you are only there for a weekend, you do not have to buy an oyster card or have an credit left over that you will never use. This is the advantage I think.

Would you NEVER go back???

I go to London four or five times a year and always have some credit on my Oyster card.

Would you NEVER go back???

I go to London four or five times a year and always have some credit on my Oyster card.

Meh, I live in Bray, it has all I need. I go to London if I have to, otherwise what is the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Asking this for an American friend, who is planning a quickie junket to London from Dublin.

What are the best transport options to get to Central London from Stansted Airport? She hasn't booked her hotel yet, so don't know precisely what part of London she is heading for.

Bus? Train? How long is the trip? I've googled the prices on the Stanstead Express, but I'd like some on the ground info. Are there any particular pros and cons of going to London via Standsted. Is the train reliable? The airfare savings are substantial, compared to going via Heathrow or Gatwick.

At work. Can't do a proper search meself.

Ta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I've taken the Stansted Express before and found it really handy. It's a lot more comfortable than the tube. Takes about 45 minutes if I remember correctly. I avoid Heathrow now, the other London airports are cheaper and less busy, and it doesn't really take any longer to get into the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,841 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Stansted Express to Tottenham Hale - Get the Victoria Line tube then from there to Oxford Circus/Green Park/Victoria.

You could get the Express to Liverpool Street too but it's more expensive and no advantage really time-wise since the Victoria Line is so fast anyway from Tottenham Hale.

It takes about 25 mins to Tottenham Hale - 40 mins to Liverpool Street (feels like forever though).

The train is very reliable. I've never had issues with it for time or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Train station is below the airport. 2 minute walk, regular trains. There is a direct train that is quicker or the cheuchter train that stops everywhere and takes a bit longer. I think I paid 12 pounds in the airport last time but I wasn't going right in.

Highly recommend the train. Comfortable, reliable and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭rojito

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Asking this for an American friend, who is planning a quickie junket to London from Dublin.

What are the best transport options to get to Central London from Stansted Airport? She hasn't booked her hotel yet, so don't know precisely what part of London she is heading for.

Bus? Train? How long is the trip? I've googled the prices on the Stanstead Express, but I'd like some on the ground info. Are there any particular pros and cons of going to London via Standsted. Is the train reliable? The airfare savings are substantial, compared to going via Heathrow or Gatwick.

At work. Can't do a proper search meself.

Ta.

There was the private company Terravision which ran buses every hour or so into Victoria station or Kings cross, it was cheaper that the Stansted Express if I remember correctly. I haven't taken it in years though.

The journey is about 45-60 mins and if your friend can get a window seat on the left hand side of the bus they will enjoy some great views coming into the city alongside the Thames.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

miezekatze wrote: »
    I've taken the Stansted Express before and found it really handy. It's a lot more comfortable than the tube. Takes about 45 minutes if I remember correctly. I avoid Heathrow now, the other London airports are cheaper and less busy, and it doesn't really take any longer to get into the city.

Tube does not go to Stansted, but is extremely reliable from Heathrow but quite crowded depending on time of day. Take to Earls Court with easy connections to other parts of london.

Have used the Stansted Express several times, very handy and frequent to either Tottenham Hale or Liverpool Street.

London City may also be an option, but will require connections into Central London starting off with the DLR through East London, and The Docklands area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

rojito wrote: »
    There was the private company Terravision which ran buses every hour or so into Victoria station or Kings cross, it was cheaper that the Stansted Express if I remember correctly. I haven't taken it in years though.

The journey is about 45-60 mins and if your friend can get a window seat on the left hand side of the bus they will enjoy some great views coming into the city alongside the Thames.

I use this coach most times I fly to London. Good bit cheaper than the train (unless you book the train over a month in advance). They have a service to Victoria/Liverpool st. or to Stratford tube station and there's one of these services every half hour. Time to Liverpool st is only 10 min more than train and it's comfortable and the price is fixed whether you buy in advance or when you arrive.
    I personally get the service to Stratford. It's £6 each way and takes 40/45mins and if you need to get into central London it's only a few stops on the central line from Stratford station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Stansted Express is very good but pricey unless you book well in advance. £30 return versus half that if you can plan ahead. I use the bus if I can't get the advance fare and it's fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Thanks a million folks. Lots of good info there.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Thanks a million folks. Lots of good info there.

The Stanstead Express is great and it's very frequent and reliable and the trains are nice... the only real gripe people have with it as I do I is the price... you can get good deals or should I say better deals online if you are travelling with a companion they call it the 'duo' fare from memory..

If it's a junket is that referring to something work related ? I'd so and the company would pick up the tab I'd go with the Stanstead Express all the way for speed and comfort..

Others have covered off the bus options but I'd add to that in my experience when I have used the buses and depending what time of day you hit London the journey can vary from 60 mins or so to 90 mins (published time is 75 mins with Terravision) if traffic is really ****ty which happened once so if time is a factor maybe that should be considered...

Terravision no longer operate to/from Stansted, they were denied access by the airport some time ago. The service they advertise on their website is for tickets on the Citylink service. They offer no discount so there is no reason to use them, I'd rather a ticket with the actual operator in case of disruption.

2 operators currently run bus services Stansted - London.

http://www.stanstedcitylink.co.uk/

2 routes to Kings Cross and Victoria

http://www.nationalexpress.com/en/airports/stansted-airport.aspx

A6 route - Stansted to Portman Square - 43 journeys a day, calling at: Golders Green, Finchley Road, St. John’s Wood, Baker Street, Paddington, Marble Arch and Portman Square.

A7 route - Stansted to Victoria Coach Station - 72 journeys a day, calling at: Southwark, Waterloo, Victoria Rail Station and Victoria Coach Station.

A8 route - Stansted to Bethnal Green - 50 journeys a day, calling at: Bow Church, Mile End, Whitechapel, Liverpool Street, Shoreditch High Street, Bethnal Green.

A9 route - 45 journeys a day from Stansted to London Stratford, direct travel in just 50 minutes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement