Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Danger781 wrote: »
    I ordered from a UK retailer (servers plus), shipped to parcel motel, and used the euro cashback form. The cheque gets sent in euros from an English bank so I needed to pay commission to lodge it.

Would you get more with the sterling cheque i wonder?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ebuyer will not ship to Ireland and will not all Parcel Motel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Yeah noticed that...it's 161 from servers plus but £15 for shipping to parcel motel!

Elara are probably the best option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,621 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Catalyst wrote: »
    Hi,

Yes you can claim the Cashback, we are HP Gold Partners.

Works out at €175 Including Delivery after Cashback.

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?mancode=819185-421&manufacturer=HP

What is the spec of that version on Elara?

Im really tempted to get one but im worried about that CPU. Id like to make it into a ESXI machine with one or 2 VMs running Asterisk mostly. I know ill need more ram but what is the CPU like in them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Headshot wrote: »
    What is the spec of that version on Elara?

Im really tempted to get one but im worried about that CPU. Id like to make it into a ESXI machine with one or 2 VMs running Asterisk mostly. I know ill need more ram but what is the CPU like in them?

I can run 2 x 720p Plex streams without issues (most of the time). I also have two torrent clients running 24/7. Shares mapped to my desktop, etc.

Danger781 wrote: »
    I can run 2 x 720p Plex streams without issues (most of the time). I also have two torrent clients running 24/7. Shares mapped to my desktop, etc.

I went ahead and got it. Hard to say no to that price after cash back

I went ahead and got it. Hard to say no to that price after cash back

Keep me posted about how you get on with ESXi :)

That was my original intention before siding with unRAID which was just more suited to my needs.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mine is enroute.
    What sound card did you use with it? Im going to use it with my tv in the man cave. So suggested I use a chrome cast.

yop wrote: »
    Mine is enroute.
    What sound card did you use with it? Im going to use it with my tv in the man cave. So suggested I use a chrome cast.

Pity it has no HDMI and only VGA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I got a half height fanless video card for pennies on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0036DD4CO

But I'm now running it as a headless unRAID server in my office and using Plex on my Samsung "smart" TV. Planning on buying a new Apple TV once Plex is confirmed for it!

• Advertisement

stimpson wrote: »

But I'm now running it as a headless unRAID server in my office and using Plex on my Samsung "smart" TV. Planning on buying a new Apple TV once Plex is confirmed for it!

Just bought that GPU now for this Microserver. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Just bought one there :D Gonna use it for virtualization of my final year project.

Anyone use this ram from crucial? Seems to be fully supported?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

But I'm now running it as a headless unRAID server in my office and using Plex on my Samsung "smart" TV. Planning on buying a new Apple TV once Plex is confirmed for!

YELLOW CARD
    Posts bargain inin BA thread "for pennies"

2490 is a lot of pennies

long_b wrote: »
    YELLOW CARD
    Posts bargain inin BA thread "for pennies"

2490 is a lot of pennies

I spent 35000 on the card in my gaming rig!

Lads what ram would you recommend for the HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T 1P 4GB-U B120i

Id like to have 8gb-16gb

Lads what ram would you recommend for the HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T 1P 4GB-U B120i

Id like to have 8gb-16gb

Think you have the same model as me which needed ECC RAM. Any value-grade ECC RAM should be fine. This is the set I bought:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0064R7LH8/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Can you still use the HDMI then? I see one of the smaller brackets only exposes the DVI and the other the DVI and HDMI. But not sure which is needed for the micro server.

Can you still use the HDMI then? I see one of the smaller brackets only exposes the DVI and the other the DVI and HDMI. But not sure which is needed for the micro server.

You lose the VGA and keep the HDMI and DVI. You can attach the vga to another half height bracket, but who uses VGA nowadays anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

You lose the VGA and keep the HDMI and DVI. You can attach the vga to another half height bracket, but who uses VGA nowadays anyway?

True, and the box has VGA anyway! Though not hardware accelerated but I don't want it for playing movies.

I'd be interested in using HDMI, I have an old HDMI screen/mouse/keyboard. This sounds like a good option. Thanks!

• Advertisement

Got the server. VERY neat and quite. But just can't get either of the new Seagate 2 TB Drives I bought to install the OS. Fails with an error
    ""partitioning has failed - unable to continue - undefined""
    Anyone had this and got over it?

Thanks for the tip btw, no doubt its a great buy.

What OS are you trying to install? Are you installing on the 2TB drives, or a separate drive / USB?

Install 2012 onto a 2TB drive. The OS is been installed from a USB key

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Install 2012 onto a 2TB drive. The OS is been installed from a USB key

are you using intelligent provising or trying to install directly?

Using IP.
    I deleted the logical drive again and added it back in as an 80GB partition just to see if that was a problem.
    It didn't work, just failed again.
    I tried another drive and same thing. Bit annoying.

I might be doing something odd!

Can you install into a desktop and partition the discs, then put them back in the server?

• Advertisement

Using IP.
    I deleted the logical drive again and added it back in as an 80GB partition just to see if that was a problem.
    It didn't work, just failed again.
    I tried another drive and same thing. Bit annoying.

I might be doing something odd!

have you updated the firmware?

Just updated the fireware there now and I have it off now doing the install again. Lets see if it works!

Can you install into a desktop and partition the discs, then put them back in the server?

I've no desktop to do that I'm afraid.

Just got the error again there!!! Drive you to drink.

I've no desktop to do that I'm afraid.

Just got the error again there!!! Drive you to drink.

might be the usb key that you are using have you another.

our maybe try setting it up through ilo and mounting the iso

these video will show you how to there's a 60 day trial of ilo

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfYIS7PWFoq5zRq9ObjDbKa-R07CwbHBV

Try re-seating your drives.

• Advertisement

dunworth1 wrote: »
    might be the usb key that you are using have you another.

our maybe try setting it up through ilo and mounting the iso

these video will show you how to there's a 60 day trial of ilo

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfYIS7PWFoq5zRq9ObjDbKa-R07CwbHBV
    Try re-seating your drives.

USB key was used 2 days by another one of the lads to setup his new server but its work a try.

I've reseated them both and take one out now totally. A head wreck this :eek:

Try calling HP support. I think you get 3 months support included.

Have you tried installing it as a bootable ISO rather than through IP?

I just removed the array and set it up again. This time I woent for the custom install and it worked!
    Now to get the money back done!

Okay, so we have no sound card in these, any options on this?
    Also the graphics card won't run one of the applications I need to run, and the spec on that isn't even high!! :(
    Graphics: 1GB dedicated GPU, or embedded Intel HD 4000/AMD R5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

Okay, so we have no sound card in these, any options on this?
    Also the graphics card won't run one of the applications I need to run, and the spec on that isn't even high!! :(
    Graphics: 1GB dedicated GPU, or embedded Intel HD 4000/AMD R5

Which app? Whats the OS

durtybit wrote: »
    64 bit? Running in a vm or native?

64 bit running native.

64 bit running native.

Just to check (I know this is basic but I have no knowledge of your skills)
    You switched the graphics to the dedicated GPU in the BIOS ?
    Your using the HDMI port (or another port on the graphics card)
    You have drivers up to date.
    Whats the error you get? and will it work at all?

• Advertisement

No its fine. Graphics are onboard. No HDMI, only VGA.

1 free PCI slot, so I have no sound and graphics card isn't up to scratch.

Looking like this server is a dead duck for both!

No its fine. Graphics are onboard. No HDMI, only VGA.

1 free PCI slot, so I have no sound and graphics card isn't up to scratch.

Looking like this server is a dead duck for both!

Totally read you wrong then you quoted a graphics card above, I read it as if you had the R5

"Graphics: 1GB dedicated GPU, or embedded Intel HD 4000/AMD R5"

Yeah integrated GPU is very low not really used for any types of apps with higher graphics use. I have played some games etc on HD3000 but believe me its not worth it.

What about using a USB sound card

Totally read you wrong then you quoted a graphics card above, I read it as if you had the R5

"Graphics: 1GB dedicated GPU, or embedded Intel HD 4000/AMD R5"

Yeah integrated GPU is very low not really used for any types of apps with higher graphics use. I have played some games etc on HD3000 but believe me its not worth it.

What about using a USB sound card

Ill have to find a card that works. Not sure which, without it costing a fortune!

IS that what you are on about?
    https://www.dabs.ie/products/creative-sound-blaster-play-2-usb-external-70sb162000001-B6GY.html?q=USB%20sound%20card&src=16

Thanks for the help

Ill have to find a card that works. Not sure which, without it costing a fortune!

IS that what you are on about?
    https://www.dabs.ie/products/creative-sound-blaster-play-2-usb-external-70sb162000001-B6GY.html?q=USB%20sound%20card&src=16

Thanks for the help

EBay do cheaper ones I believe but yeah that's the idea

EBay do cheaper ones I believe but yeah that's the idea

Thanks for that.

Ya, don't know if I want all this hassle. Might just get rid to be honest. Too much pain for what I want it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Rgb.ie

Thanks for that.

Ya, don't know if I want all this hassle. Might just get rid to be honest. Too much pain for what I want it for.

Will take it off your hands if you're selling it .. Drop us a pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Anyone tried to install the OS onto the SD Card?

Rgb.ie wrote: »
    Will take it off your hands if you're selling it .. Drop us a pm

PM sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Anyone tried to install the OS onto the SD Card?

I put ESXi on the SD card nothing to report really just selected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭Skidmcmarx

Thanks for that.

I'd be happy to take it off your hands to if you decide not to keep it

Advertisement