Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rescued 2 week old kitten

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

AWWWWH, you can hear the little tiny baby purrs.... If your heart doesn't melt with that, it must be because you don't have one...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

damagegt wrote: »

Thats just awesome. This thread keeps getting better and better.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

Aww my heart melted the little purs and his paws its too adorable, I want one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I just realised that a while back you were asking how many litters cats can have in a year, and I don't think anyone has replied yet. They can definitely have more than one litter each year (>2 is the average, unless the mother is very young or very old), but the number of kittens can vary immensly - from 1 or 2 (quite rare, but it depends on the age of the mother too) to 12 or so, the average I'd say is 3 to 5. I remember one year - maybe 25 years ago - someone dumped two young pregnant cats here, and they had 22 kittens between the two of them... that was SOME challenge, I can tell you... That's why it's SO, SO, SO important to spay and neuter them... Yes, it can be expensive, but it's a once-off in the cat's lifetime, and you'd save yourself (I don't mean you specifically) and all the animals involved a lot of pain and suffering.

Also, your kittens could have been abandoned by a young, inexperienced mother, but it's equally possible that she was moving a bigger litter from one place to another and some were left behind (not very common, but not impossible), or it's also plausible that something happened to the mother - hopefully not, though...

The last possibility is that they were abandoned by some cruel, sad excuse for a human being... and if I catch them... :mad:

New Home wrote: »
    I just realised that a while back you were asking how many litters cats can have in a year, and I don't think anyone has replied yet. They can definitely have more than one litter each year (>2 is the average, unless the mother is very young or very old), but the number of kittens can vary immensly - from 1 or 2 (quite rare, but it depends on the age of the mother too) to 12 or so, the average I'd say is 3 to 5. I remember one year - maybe 25 years ago - someone dumped two young pregnant cats here, and they had 22 kittens between the two of them... that was SOME challenge, I can tell you... That's why it's SO, SO, SO important to spay and neuter them... Yes, it can be expensive, but it's a once-off in the cat's lifetime, and you'd save yourself (I don't mean you specifically) and all the animals involved a lot of pain and suffering.

Also, your kittens could have been abandoned by a young, inexperienced mother, but it's equally possible that she was moving a bigger litter from one place to another and some were left behind (not very common, but not impossible), or it's also plausible that something happened to the mother - hopefully not, though...

The last possibility is that they were abandoned by some cruel, sad excuse for a human being... and if I catch them... :mad:
    When I found him first there must have been 10 cats all in this small garden.I warmed him up,went back to where I found him with a blanket and set him up to see would a mother came back.I left him 10-15mins but nothing came for him.Better his mother then me.
    Its my first year living at this address and I dont think I could handle kittens dying all over the place.

What was the name of that origination someone mentioned that captures and neuters ?

When I found him first there must have been 10 cats all in this small garden.I warmed him up,went back to where I found him with a blanket and set him up to see would a mother came back.I left him 10-15mins but nothing came for him.Better his mother then me.
    Its my first year living at this address and I dont think I could handle kittens dying all over the place.

What was the name of that origination someone mentioned that captures and neuters ?

There are a few charities that do a trap neuter release on a feral cat colonies.

I dont think we are allowed name individual rescues but there was one mentioned a few pages back.

There are a few charities that do a trap neuter release on a feral cat colonies.

I dont think we are allowed name individual rescues but there was one mentioned a few pages back.

Sorry, I didn't mean to single out any of the charities... but it's great to know that there's more than just the one to do that. :)

I remember reading that when they neuter/spay them they "mark" them by cutting off a bit of one ear, so they know just by looking at them if they've been "done" or not. Clever, I thought - feral cats would easily lose bits of their ears in fights, anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Edit: Sorry, not allowed name specific charities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

damagegt, you are really a star!....I'm so sad reading awful stories about kitty's, this thread and all your hard work has been so appreciated by me over the last few days!...:)

Thank you for sharing all your photos and hard effort! :)

Sorry, I didn't mean to single out any of the charities... but it's great to know that there's more than just the one to do that. :)

I remember reading that when they neuter/spay them they "mark" them by cutting off a bit of one ear, so they know just by looking at them if they've been "done" or not. Clever, I thought - feral cats would easily lose bits of their ears in fights, anyway...

yeah thats right. they take the corner of the ear off. I've been doing voluntary work with my local animal charity doing T.N.R for the last 2 years. We've T.N.R'ed over a thousand cats I would guestimate. But unfortunately its a mere drop in the ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

I'm in luuurrrrrrvvvveeee!!!!

This thread should be bookmarked and wheeled out everytime there is a dog person v cat person argument!! I double, dare anyone not to get all gooey when they hear the little purrs....

Ok,Ill try call to that lady again and see what happens.These kind of things can go awful sour awful fast.Best tread lightly.

Damaget, do you think someone owned those 10 cats you saw in someone's back garden, was the house occupied?,was there food bowls or was there any evidence that they were been fed?

Oops just noticed a lady owns these cats

Someone once said to me that some people are more reluctant to neuter/spay because they consider it a sin to interfere... So I told them that "murder" is also a sin... If this argument helps you with that lady, feel free to use it. Mind you, she might be relieved to have some help with them, rather that seeing them starve/suffer...

I'm in luuurrrrrrvvvveeee!!!!

This thread should be bookmarked and wheeled out everytime there is a dog person v cat person argument!! I double, dare anyone not to get all gooey when they hear the little purrs....
    I was never really a cat person I have always had dogs .I had a cat when I was seven or eight and it died.It died and when it died,it was sitting like a cat would at a window ,sitting up,paws tucked under and eyes open.
    My brother found him and put him on the wall and called me out.He told me he found him and hes sitting over there waiting for you.
    I was not a happy camper,he thought it was hilarious. It is kinda funny.He looked so alive :(

Damaget, do you think someone owned those 10 cats you saw in someone's back garden, was the house occupied?,was there food bowls or was there any evidence that they were been fed?
    The house is defiantly occupied,shes a bit of a recluse so its a hard one to call.

Maybe go over with a bag of cat food... she'll probably understand you're only trying to help...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

I was never really a cat person I have always had dogs .I had a cat when I was seven or eight and it died.It died and when it died,it was sitting like a cat would at a window ,sitting up,paws tucked under and eyes open.
    My brother found him and put him on the wall and called me out.He told me he found him and hes sitting over there waiting for you.
    I was not a happy camper,he thought it was hilarious. It is kinda funny.He looked so alive :(
    Me neither until a friend of mine "dumped" a rescue kitten on me. The now cat like a puppy - follows me/the other half around the house, meows at us if we don't talk to her, jumps into our laps at every available opportunity and generally just loves the loving! You're in for many years of super loving my friend :D

• Advertisement

Maybe go over with a bag of cat food... she'll probably understand you're only trying to help...

That's a very good suggestion. Explain t.n.r to her in the nicest possible way

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Or wait till you're in the clear, make a little album of pics/updates of his progress and some of the quotes people said on here, make it into a little book and post it through her door with a note. "Thank you, I thought you might like this story"
    Get her right in the feels then *Bam*, TNR all her feral cats.... Also.... If you are single, keep this book as a means to attract women. "Oh that old thing, I didn't mean to leave that on the coffee table, I was just looking at it earlier before we met to help me buck up some courage cause it shows even the smallest things can make a big difference".... Wife obtained

Cormac... wrote: »
    Or wait till you're in the clear, make a little album of pics/updates of his progress and some of the quotes people said on here, make it into a little book and post it through her door with a note. "Thank you, I thought you might like this story"
    Get her right in the feels then *Bam*, TNR all her feral cats.... Also.... If you are single, keep this book as a means to attract women. "Oh that old thing, I didn't mean to leave that on the coffee table, I was just looking at it earlier before we met to help me buck up some courage cause it shows even the smallest things can make a big difference".... Wife obtained

LMAO:D

Some people... The cheek... :D

New Home - you read my mind!...

I do the same for my neighbour down the road, she has a lot of feral cats and is on a pension so I drop down food when they do the special offers, she is delighted. If I offered her anything other than catfood she would be offended....I did get her onto a few bottles of wine when I heard she likes a wee drop!...;)

Me neither until a friend of mine "dumped" a rescue kitten on me. The now cat like a puppy - follows me/the other half around the house, meows at us if we don't talk to her, jumps into our laps at every available opportunity and generally just loves the loving! You're in for many years of super loving my friend :D

That is exactly what happened me!....well the kitty was for little grey and I was terrified looking into the box!!....

And so began a long loving relationship!!....It was the first cat I'd ever held and I was a Mammy!....:o

New Home - you read my mind!...

I do the same for my neighbour down the road, she has a lot of feral cats and is on a pension so I drop down food when they do the special offers, she is delighted. If I offered her anything other than catfood she would be offended....I did get her onto a few bottles of wine when I heard she likes a wee drop!...;)

I just remembered that my mother's place was the local dumping ground for most of the unwanted kittens in the area "'cause she doesn't drown them, and anyway she likes them..." which use to drive me insane - I LOVE animals too, but people should take on their own responsibilies instead of dumping them on other people, FFS!!!!! That way, at one stage, Mam - who is also on a very meager pension - had almost 30 cats (there's lots of land around the house, in case people were wondering). So I remember telling one of the ladies who used that argument with me - probably to justify her own actions - that nobody ever thought of dumping a few bags of food as well as the kittens... :mad::mad::mad: I haven't seen her since.

You're a good soul, Grey.

Cormac I see we have a like mind.:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

You should bring the little kitty with you when you go to see her. Visual aids always help.

Also, if they're actually feral and not hers then I'm not sure you need her permission. Obviously you don't want to be falling out with your neighbours but unless they're actually her pets that she hasn't gotten spayed/neutered then she's got no say in it.

• Advertisement

... Also.... If you are single, keep this book as a means to attract women. "Oh that old thing, I didn't mean to leave that on the coffee table, I was just looking at it earlier before we met to help me buck up some courage cause it shows even the smallest things can make a big difference".... Wife obtained

Cormac, are you one of those lads who walk with cute puppies and sit outside coffee shops so women will chat you up just to pet the "little puppy"???.....:D:D:D

;) - I'll say nothing...

Advertisement