Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic Blues - RTE1 - May 31st

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Gotta love that tache on the first fella!!

Good so far indeed, id say alot will be suprised by the radio language, alot pf people expect it to be more official i would think!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Well done to all involved. You really just never know what kind of mindsets are out there on the roads, really do you! Remarkable work by A.G.S. it has to be said. Good viewing so it is & a real eye-opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

That lunatic in Letterkenny was something else :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Well done on catching that last idiot. He was going to kill someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Good chase footage from the heli aswell! Unfortunate that there wasnt a camera in the patrol car to show just how much of a ejit that driver was, coulda easily killed someone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Disappointed it was only a half hour show tbh. Felt like it was only started then it was over.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Was a great production and very insightful indeed. I have all future episodes Sky+.

Comparing it to the likes of Road Wars and other UK Traffic Police shows, the Irish motorist gets away with murder!

The guy in the Black Hyundai on M11 who was caught at 164km/h, breaking red lights only got a fixed penalty and 2 points for breaking the red light :eek: The unaccompanied 17 year old in the overheating Astra was allowed on his way with a slap on the wrists and a don't do it again after being caught at 38km/h over the limit a week before hand! What's the point in bringing in new laws and legislation if they're not going to be enforced across the board.

I'm not having a stab at AGS, I respect their work, they do a great job and don't get enough praise for their work.

So the standard MO in Donegal is to leg it across the border? Can the PSNI do anything to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Did a female garda say across the radio that can she "cancel the PSNI" once he was caught?

I'm not sure if i heard that correctly

salonfire wrote: »
    Did a female garda say across the radio that can she "cancel the PSNI" once he was caught?

I'm not sure if i heard that correctly
    Yep, that was what was said alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ste88m

Border stations can ring up the PSNI and get them to take over from the border. Also, when TETRA is fully operational, it will enable cross border communications to some extent.

If said scumbag pulled in at the first turning just over the border, the Gardaí could not follow him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

ste88m wrote: »
    Border stations can ring up the PSNI and get them to take over from the border. Also, when TETRA is fully operational, it will enable cross border communications to some extent.

Sweet. As someone living in Letterkenny, its good to know that there's no escape for these people anymore.

I believe that up until a few years ago (with the RUC), once someone crossed the border they were pretty much free

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭kirving

Surely the Gardai should be allowed chase a suspect into the north until the PSNI take over, or at least let the helicopter over the border to keep track of him.

They do seem to be extremely leniant, but maybe the Gardai are afraid of someone claiming they were made an example of because of the show.

The radio language seems very informal too...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

wasnt a bad show .... but like a sedated "Cops" ...... used the same style - if none of the "action"

it does highlight the idiots on the road - but in my opinion also shows that the laws are too lenient on people.....for example the 17yr old .... even though previous for speeding (either the previous Nov, the week before or earlier that night - wasnt very clear) - but also an overheating car, missing a wing mirror and no licence available, car and driver was not suitable for the road - yet the garda used his discretion and allowed the driver to continue breaking the law (provisional licence without full licence driver)

the guy who was making a break for the boarder deserved the 18months and more (drunk, no licence, no insurance, dangerous driving etc.)

actually the more that I think about it : stereotypical "foreign" drunk driver, Nordy guy making a break for the boarder, teenager (no full licence and driving a rustbucket) ..... bit cliche isnt it ? cant wait till next week (Dont have Sky+)

Surely the Gardai should be allowed chase a suspect into the north until the PSNI take over, or at least let the helicopter over the border to keep track of him.
    In the Schengen Agreement there is a section regarding 'hot pursuit' which allows a police car (Car A) from one country to follow a car across the border if no other police car is available from the other country. However, once the police car is available from the other country (Car B), Car A must pull back. This does not yet apply in Ireland as we have not signed this agreement

But yes, there should be some form of co-operation in place to let this take place.

The radio language seems very informal too...
    Most people don't know this, but aside from the Nato Alphabet and some other abbreviations (DVSA, RTA), there is very little radio speak in the Gardaí. No code system is in place like in the UK & US.

It was good they way out state of the art communications system was shown. The old reliable members own mobile phone!

It would be more secure than the radio system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

foreign wrote: »
    It was good they way out state of the art communications system was shown. The old reliable members own mobile phone!

It might have been a state one?

I liked the show, members came accross well.

Dont mean to be cynical but i presume there not going to show
    traffic members out in Fiat Ulsyesses (sp) ina chase :rolleyes: and other instances where members lack of equipment lets them down.

I can see this series been very Pc correct and only highlighting the exciting aspects of our work.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

To be fair, its a show on the traffic core who I assume don't have small cars.

• Advertisement

yayamark wrote: »
    It might have been a state one?

I liked the show, members came accross well.

Dont mean to be cynical but i presume there not going to show
    traffic members out in Fiat Ulsyesses (sp) ina chase :rolleyes: and other instances where members lack of equipment lets them down.

I can see this series been very Pc correct and only highlighting the exciting aspects of our work.

Wasn't a sh1tty State Nokia but a fancy looking slide phone. Even if it was state we still shouldn't be relying on mobile phones for secure communications. We still have no date in the DMR for Tetra.

Do they have the Ulsyesses outside Dublin or is that a stupid question?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 booms mcd

tetra 10th of june apparently?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Sully wrote: »
    To be fair, its a show on the traffic core who I assume don't have small cars.

Well we dont have Yaris's but Fiat Ulysesses
    Wasn't a sh1tty State Nokia but a fancy looking slide phone. Even if it was state we still shouldn't be relying on mobile phones for secure communications. We still have no date in the DMR for Tetra.

Do they have the Ulsyesses outside Dublin or is that a stupid question?

Oh yeah down here too

booms mcd wrote: »
    tetra 10th of june apparently?? :rolleyes:

Do you mind me asking where you heard this? I've heard so many different dates from different people. The last date I was given was by a member for communications and that date came and went.

Do you mind me asking where you heard this? I've heard so many different dates from different people. The last date I was given was by a member for communications and that date came and went.

DMR north 10th of June according to Tetra Ireland trainers. Where I am nearly all cars have been fitted with the tetra sets, most people have been trained and all stations have been fitted with the storage lockers for charging them, so for once its looks pretty certain to be June 10th :D. Not sure about the DMR south & other areas. Have you been trained yet?

ste88m wrote: »
    DMR north 10th of June according to Tetra Ireland trainers. Where I am nearly all cars have been fitted with the tetra sets, most people have been trained and all stations have been fitted with the storage lockers for charging them, so for once its looks pretty certain to be June 10th :D. Not sure about the DMR south & other areas. Have you been trained yet?

I'm DMR(SC). We were trained march/april. Lockers in stations since then. We were supposed to go live in april then may. NC are trained, south is trained and think west are at the moment.

We still have no main sets in the stations but all cars are fitted and then redone because of some mess up.

So we'll see about the 10th.

I'm DMR(SC). We were trained march/april. Lockers in stations since then. We were supposed to go live in april then may. NC are trained, south is trained and think west are at the moment.

We still have no main sets in the stations but all cars are fitted and then redone because of some mess up.

So we'll see about the 10th.

Yeah, I tought DMR SC was going live around Easter in April. NC is trained and using the other Tetra system (The Nokia one) but in that case it must be all of the DMR, except Traffic who I think are already on it. But at the moment it looks like the 10th.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Sighface

missed this , any one know if there is a repeat on sometime?

Nothing at present in the way of repeats, certainly nothing in the next month. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 YOUNGGUN

i'd say it will be on RTE Player in the next day or two..Missed the show. Out on the Beat around DMR NC. Everyone out drinking...:mad:

Advertisement