Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depop and Bloggers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I think it says an awful lot about a person if their idea of fun is to hate people.

This is spectacular missing of the point. Personally GOMI opened my eyes to how shady blogging can be. I see all the US tricks creeping into Irish blogs, like non disclosure of paid sponsorship. I don't hate any bloggers. I'm not that invested in them. But I hate shady businesses and illegal or suspect activities, from bloggers or anyone else. Most posters on GOMI are there because bloggers they once liked are now as shady as all the others. I found it because of the mommy blogging phenomenon and how these parents don't allow their children any online privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Hi, would someone terribly mind sending me the bloggers name also please? And others that are thought to be unsavoury also. I have a 16 year old who follows these women and I think I need to start monitoring these bloggers so I can have a few chats with her about their sincerity as she thinks their word is gold. Thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

What is the problem of telling her that she should be careful about all of them? I am baffled why a lot of the Irish ones are followed anyway because it seems just a lot of advice how to look like something out of the only way is Essex but I guess some might like that The whole 'we have to name them to protect teenagers is a hypocritical. You don't need a list to tell them that being an ex and not very successful model doesn't make one expert on beauty. Frankly you need a science degree and a lab to make any sort of verifiable claims.

Btw the funny thing is that the blogger who has insane claims about healing powers of gluten free diet (Rosanna, the thing is well documented in media) gets thumbs up in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

meeeeh wrote: »

Btw the funny thing is that the blogger who has insane claims about healing powers of gluten free diet (Rosanna, the thing is well documented in media) gets thumbs up in this thread.

I've read this a few times and I still can't figure out what you're trying to say. I don't see anyone talking about diets or Rosanna?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Well my boyfriend has arthritis and a gluten free diet has helped his symptoms more than any medication he'd been prescribed for years, so not all of Rosanna's claims are 'insane'.

Buyer beware. People sell gifts on done deal all the time and no one has a problem with it. I don't see a difference between that and the hang up here.

Some of the responses read a little bitter to me to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭doireannod

Addle wrote: »
    Well my boyfriend has arthritis and a gluten free diet has helped his symptoms more than any medication he'd been prescribed for years, so not all of Rosanna's claims are 'insane'.

Buyer beware. People sell gifts on done deal all the time and no one has a problem with it. I don't see a difference between that and the hang up here.

Some of the responses read a little bitter to me to be honest.

But items on Done Deal are sold at a discounted price. This thread was started because a blogger sold items for above cost price i.e she sold a dress for 45e that could have been bought new for 35e.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Taboola wrote: »
    I've read this a few times and I still can't figure out what you're trying to say. I don't see anyone talking about diets or Rosanna?

Then it was another thread but the thing is that selling a 15 euro dress for 50 is a lot less dangerous than making completely dubious claims about what you can heal with gluten free diet.

If someone is so stupid to buy stuff without information about make of the dress and checking original price then they deserve to pay double.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

meeeeh wrote: »
    Then it was another thread but the thing is that selling a 15 euro dress for 50 is a lot less dangerous than making completely dubious claims about what you can heal with gluten free diet.

If someone is so stupid to buy stuff without information about make of the dress and checking original price then they deserve to pay double.

I don't think anyone has ever even mentioned Rosanna on this or any other blogger thread so no clue what you're on about there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

This type of behaviour is at best sneaky and at worst, fraudulent.

My biggest bugbear with the blogging world at the moment is the unending posts about "hate". An Americanism that has filtered into common parlance here.

While I do agree that nastiness is very inappropriate, general disagreement and critique shouldn't be thrown under the "hate" bus.

A lot of the time I really feel that bloggers should and would be happier if they dealt with "hate" with their own logic: if you don't like it, don't seek it out and read it.

That being said I don't condone nastiness or any bloggers getting nasty, personal messages directly sent to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

People really do seem to get riled up by these bloggers. I simply don't get it. Between those who laud them for pretty much no discernible reason and those that hate them. Seriously, if you're in the latter camp just unfollow them and get on with your life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Jbossie

I actually can't believe one of them
    Sold a dress for that price absolutely disgraceful and does nothing to help bloggers reputations which are being slated lately

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭fi314

http://www.behindgreeneyes.com/2016/02/bloggers-snapchat-and-hate.html#comment-form

This article is really interesting insightful. While I don’t agree with all the points made I think this paragraph is key to this whole debate. We are moving to an era of digital influencers where the person is the Brand.

“But there's another type of blogger now - the ones who embrace the entire lifestyle. The "super bloggers", or digital influencers, who pump time and money into turning themselves into a brand. They vlog, they release makeup, they publish books, they hold event days, they spend a massive amount of time promoting themselves, they become brand ambassadors - they do it as a job. This has been happening in the US and the UK for years now, but it's a relatively new concept in Ireland!”

There is fault on both sides. I do think people can be genuinely cruel and nasty at time and none of us should condone that type of behaviour. But like any brand there needs to a space given to allow constructive feedback. Given the fact that the person is the brand it must be very difficult to receive negative feedback and not take it personally. The normal approach by bloggers in Ireland is to go on the defensive and block. This is not good business practice and is causing a real negativity towards the sector.

We also have to reflect on what purpose snapchat has and what effect it is having on young people. I follow a number of bloggers and find it a mix between beauty/lifestyle reviews and reality TV. There is also a particular strangeness around children featuring so heavily in snaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Not the slightest bit surprised to see who this blogger is. It was my first guess before it was even confirmed.

I think she's one of the most false, untruthful, deceitful, 'avoid the question I was asked' bloggers out there.

I'm in my thirties, so probably beyond the target age of most bloggers anyway, but I have seen said bloggers various sites and it's actually really worrying the amount of young girls who seem to worship her and actually believe everything she says and take it as gospel that whatever she says is true. It's completely obvious at times that she's blatantly lying about her appearance, but if anyone passes a comment on it, she automatically plays the victim and pulls the 'haters' card, and more often than not people who have just pointed out the obvious are blocked from her sites.

I'm going to stop now before I get really annoyed, because of all the bloggers out there, I really have no time for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

fi314 wrote: »
    http://www.behindgreeneyes.com/2016/02/bloggers-snapchat-and-hate.html#comment-form

This article is really interesting insightful. While I don’t agree with all the points made I think this paragraph is key to this whole debate. We are moving to an era of digital influencers where the person is the Brand.

This article actually kinda sums up my main issue with bloggers. I don't read that blog so I don't know the individual blogger herself but the article has the usual 'why would you hate on people. why be so negative' and yet in the comments, she admits that she ranted about a girl who posted something about her grill (??!?) and gave her the middle finger which the girl couldn't see because she had already been blocked. And there's my problem. Beauty bloggers can be so 'do as i say, not as I do' about things. 'please don't say anything negative about me, if you don't like it, don't read it etc. but if I read something that I perceive to be negative or critical, woe betide whoever wrote it' and this really bugs me. (Edited to add: Obviously, i don't mean in the case of the people who are telling them they are bad mothers etc. but the ones who are taking offence at what they deem to be perceived slights) (Should also point out, I'm not singling out this particular blogger as I don't even read her blog but the blogging community in general who have adopted this attitude.)

Also I think one of the main issues for bloggers is that they want you to feel like they're your best friend.A classic example of this is <SNIP> who complains non-stop about people coming to see her house but she has allowed them into her life so much, many young girls feel that she is their best friend. Then you've got the ones who only want the followers who agree with everything so you're left with the 'ZOMG where are those mugs, tea towels, toilet roll holders from????' crowd who are so overly effusive and into what the blogger is doing that any questioning of the blogger, even just disagreeing, will see you labelled as a hater. So all kind of critical thinking has been dismissed as hating and trolling and any kind of debate is just shut down.

<SNIP> recently posted a 'what's in my bag' video and put a picture of the bag on Instagram. The bag was gorgeous but also cost in excess of £1,000 and it was clear from the video that she didn't really know what the bag was like and she hadn't paid for it but it wasn't disclosed. Lots of people on Instagram started questioning about the bag and saying she was being sly. She posted in reply to another comment 'yep, it was gifted to me but I'm not breaking any rules according to the advertising guidelines. Here's my email if you want to chat about it further.' No talk of haters, no blocking, just two grown adults having a conversation. This is what is missing in a lot of beauty bloggers I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Will someone pm me the name of the blogger please?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

Addle wrote: »
    Will someone pm me the name of the blogger please?
    Thanks.
    The blogger has already been named - see post #25

aine92 wrote: »
    I agree and I'm not sure why for some reason it's not the done thing to discuss someones actions; there's enough moaning about Joan Burton and Enda Kenny, the entire Celeb Big Bro house etc, but not this? As someone said if they are that sensitive about their careers then frankly they are in the wrong one.

It's <SNIP>

Not one bit surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

You know for making a profit of ten to thirty quid the blogger hasn't displayed good business sense. Don't rip off your customers. Ultimately the blogger is the brand they are selling but, if people can't trust you then that's a problem. If it was a well known shop who sold a second hand dress at a more expensive price than another shop selling the same brand new dress then people wouldn't be happy either. It just goes to show that buyer beware should apply to these bloggers. Most are trying to make a profit from you which is fine but readers need to be aware of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

wolfmoon87 wrote: »
    The blogger has already been named - see post #25

The name of the blogger has been snipped. I genuinely cannot believe that no one reported the naming of the blogger prior to now.
    doirreanod wrote:
    Why are we not allowed to hate them?! But we're allowed to hate almost all other sectors/aspects of society.
    doireannod wrote:
    It's gossiping. Gossiping is fun to me. And it's akin to watching car crash tv and gossiping about it with your friends. Are you familiar with the term "people we love to hate"?

Frankly, if you feel the need to hate, then you might need to reconsider posting here on Boards. The F&A forum is not a gossip shop where we b*tch about people. I would hope that we are more mature and intelligent than that.

Let me be clear - I have no issue with blogging practices being discussed and exposed. It's good to build awareness. But I do not want people's names published here. Once a name is published, the conversation tends to drag downwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭doireannod

dudara wrote: »
    The name of the blogger has been snipped. I genuinely cannot believe that no one reported the naming of the blogger prior to now.

Frankly, if you feel the need to hate, then you might need to reconsider posting here on Boards. The F&A forum is not a gossip shop where we b*tch about people. I would hope that we are more mature and intelligent than that.

Let me be clear - I have no issue with blogging practices being discussed and exposed. It's good to build awareness. But I do not want people's names published here. Once a name is published, the conversation tends to drag downwards.

But why are we allowed to name politicians, tv personalities, football players and Irish models? Holly Carpenter and Rosanna Davison have been hung out to dry on other threads. But as soon as a blogger is named everyone gets upset. I don't get that. I should just stick to GOMI.

• Advertisement

I'm not interested in bitching about bloggers or slagging them off just for the sake of it. What I want is a thread where we can come and hash out some of our concerns in a diplomatic way. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I'm not interested in dissing their clothes or make up. I'm more interested in how honest they are and it's nice to know that others have concerns too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I've actually found that unfollowing makes life easier. I've unfollowed many now on snapchat but still follow on fb or instagram. Was strange for a day but now I don't miss them. At least with fb or insta I can click on their page when I want to know what's going on, but with snapchat, I didn't enjoy wading through loads of snaps and stories.

anna080 wrote: »
    I'm not interested in bitching about bloggers or slagging them off just for the sake of it. What I want is a thread where we can come and hash out some of our concerns in a diplomatic way. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I'm not interested in dissing their clothes or make up. I'm more interested in how honest they are and it's nice to know that others have concerns too.
    I agree I know it's easy to unfollow as everyone keeps saying but when your kids ect follow them
    And think they are amazing and honest then it's a concern the way they carry on now with the product placements ect I've noticed a few now saying I got this I'll let you know how I get on with it and do a review of items they are sent its an improvement but it's still like advertising instead of saying I got this and that I'll review they should not show the item until they've used it for a while and then review it or say I got this go to my Blog I've posted a review ..... lately hampers of chocolate are being flashed all over snapchat again free advertising what is the point in saying they got chocolate it's absolutely sponsored and that's where the problem lies

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

doireannod wrote: »
    But why are we allowed to name politicians, tv personalities, football players and Irish models? Holly Carpenter and Rosanna Davison have been hung out to dry on other threads. But as soon as a blogger is named everyone gets upset. I don't get that. I should just stick to GOMI.

The reason why I do not like the naming of bloggers or individuals is because it quickly gets personal, with accusations of fraud, lying etc. These are serious accusations to make about an individual and should not be made in a public forum without proof.

If you want to discuss this further, please PM me or one of the other F&A mods. Or we can have a feedback thread to discuss further. However, I do not want to continue to clutter up the thread with this discussion.

dudara

When they do giveaways are they giving away stuff that they've already tried and used? Ew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

When they do giveaways are they giving away stuff that they've already tried and used? Ew

I don't think so; I've seen snapchats where bloggers buy two of a product - one to keep and one to give away. Or the giveaway item might have been a spare freebie from a PR company. That's my understanding of it anyway.

Blog sales are a different matter; some products have often been swatched or used. They say they've disinfected them but I wouldn't purchase regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

Some giveaways are done in conjunction with a brand.
    Lesser known makeup artists trying to create a following put quite a bit of cash into giveaways. Giving away mac, urban decay etc.
    Lots of the others are essentially doing a spring clean of stuff they just don't want.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Some of the giveaways I've seen from a few Irish beauty bloggers is absolute crap to be honest.

A pile of cheap makeup samples which they clearly wouldn't want to use themselves....no thanks.

Might appeal to 15 year old's but that's about it I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

dashdoll wrote: »

Might appeal to 15 year old's but that's about it I'd say.
    That's their target audience. Well, mostly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 422 ✭✭LeeLooLee

I don't really see the issue. People put up their items for a certain price. Nobody has to buy them. I use a lot of clothes apps and if I think something is too expensive, I don't buy it. Do people really need to have their hands held to this extent?

Advertisement