Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depop and Bloggers

Options
  • 03-02-2016 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭

I know most threads here regarding bloggers end up getting extremely personal and nasty and this isn't my intention for this thread, but I'm really keen to hear other opinions on this topic.

I'm not sure if everyones familiar with the app Depop but its a fantastic platform, very similar in layout to instagram, for selling clothes and cosmetics etc. that you no longer need. Has a high level of Irish users, members pay via paypal and you post the item to the person that bought it.

I follow a large number of well known beauty bloggers on this and it has come to my attention that some of them seem to be selling things they have gotten for free for extortionate amounts of money. Unfortunately it seems dedicated young fans are too naive to see this and are only too willing to spend their hard earned cash on second hand, worn items these bloggers were sent for free.

This week, one well known blogger went to an event and wore a gorgeous dress. There were comments all over her various social platforms from followers begging to know where she had gotten the dress, from instagram, to snapchat, to twitter. This blogger flatly refused to reply to any of these comments, yet thanked those who complimented her on how pretty she looked.

Not long after, she announced on snapchat that she would be selling this dress on Depop and a follower quickly purchased it from her. She sold it for €45, with €5 postage, a total of €50. She still hadn't revealed what brand the dress was, but awhile later, someone found the dress on Missguided for only €14. She sold it second hand for more than 2 and a half times the original cost, which I don't think would be too bad only for the fact that so many people asked where the dress was from and she flatly refused to answer.

This has left a very bad taste in my mouth, I feel like certain bloggers are taking advantage of their fan base to pocket extra cash when this would have been a fantastic opportunity to show how easy it is to dress nicely for bargain prices. Its very disappointing and cheeky imo.

I know that it is each persons own prerogative to decide how much they want to sell on their own stuff for, but between selling freebies and adding huge mark ups to second hand, worn clothes, taking advantage of a fan base like that seems really sneaky to me.

Opinions on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Graceless

I'm not familiar with the app. Selling free products that were PR gifts and second hand dresses at a huge mark-up is proper cheeky.

However, it was a little bit naive to promptly buy the dress off the blogger when she was not answering any questions on where it was from. Did her reticence not raise alarm bells?

I think if people were less inclined to put bloggers on a pedestal and idolise them, that would reduce the scope for opportunistic bloggers

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

Ha yeah one of them sold a bottle of perfume a chemist had sent her. Apparently she already had it.

Another set one up and based on what she's sold over the last 6 months alone she's made over 2 grand.

I imagine this will be locked shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

I know I've heard a number of youtubers etc say that they aren't actually allowed to sell PR samples as it's against the contract with the brand. I think it was American/UK vloggers, but I'm assuming the rules here can't be that different?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

You would think that if said bloggers were sellings clothes they got for free that the companies who are sending them out would keep an eye on their social media accounts.

It says a lot about them if they're selling on free items / samples. It's stuff like this that ends up giving bloggers a bad rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Comment from the girl who bought this, taken from Depop:

"I'm absolutely disgusted... I bought this from said blogger and I'm absolutely sickened that I paid €45 plus €5 delivery for a dress that she bought for at most €35 full price. I suppose I'm the bigger fool for actually thinking someone like her wouldn't rip me off"

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I like depop, and hadn't noticed this, but I don't really look on it much lately.

Pretty rotten thing to do. If you buy something cheap, the very highest you should morally charge is what you paid plus postage. Charging double the price? That's just ****ty behaviour, taking advantage of fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

As they say 'fool and his money are soon parted'. I hope though that marketing departments who are sending out stuff are keeping an eye on who is selling what.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

aine92 wrote: »

"I'm absolutely disgusted... I bought this from said blogger and I'm absolutely sickened that I paid €45 plus €5 delivery for a dress that she bought for at most €35 full price. I suppose I'm the bigger fool for actually thinking someone like her wouldn't rip me off"

Said customer left a 1 start review for the blogger complaining about what happened which was promptly deleted, very sneaky. For someone who normally has no problem answering questions the fact that this hasn't been addressed by her is very suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    aine92 wrote: »

"I'm absolutely disgusted... I bought this from said blogger and I'm absolutely sickened that I paid 45 plus 5 delivery for a dress that she bought for at most 35 full price. I suppose I'm the bigger fool for actually thinking someone like her wouldn't rip me off"

Said customer left a 1 start review for the blogger complaining about what happened which was promptly deleted, very sneaky. For someone who normally has no problem answering questions the fact that this hasn't been addressed by her is very suspicious.
    Add your reply here.

It's just been addressed haha.

I can kind of understand, she bought it full price has gone on sale since. Grand.
    but when you charge more or the same price that you paid for it that's being a bit crap.

I have sold loads and loads of stuff on depop, simply because I move so much and it's much more popular in mainland Europe than here.
    But I wouldn't sell high street stuff or boohoo/misguided.
    Unless it was an expensive limited piece that I thought someone might be looking for, like I did sell a 160 pair of boots from river island but they were never worn and I sold them for 70.
    Anything like h and m, top shop etc goes to friends/charity shop. I have a job I don't need to sell 20 euro dressesto make money, I would only sell what I think someone else would get value from.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Netty2

The ad has been removed from her depop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Said blogger has commented on snapchat that she has refunded the difference to the purchaser and that she only deletes comments who are nasty to her...
    Bit disappointed to be honest, she one of the few "big bloggers" left that I follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Said blogger has commented on snapchat that she has refunded the difference to the purchaser and that she only deletes comments who are nasty to her...
    Bit disappointed to be honest, she one of the few "big bloggers" left that I follow.

Calling someone out for ripping someone off isn't being nasty to her, it's calling her out for ripping someone off. These bloggers are really fragile little things aren't they God love them how do they cope day to day.

anna080 wrote: »
    Calling someone out for ripping someone off isn't being nasty to her, it's calling her out for ripping someone off. These bloggers are really fragile little things aren't they God love them how do they cope day to day.

I agree, she also implied the huge mark up was a genuine mistake cause the dress had gone on sale, however pre sale the dress was €35, which still doesn't justify the €45 second hand price tag she had on it before postage costs. She currently has another dress for sale with a mark up on the original cost so it's not like she learned her lesson.

Lost a huge amount of respect for this blogger, especially as her response when caught out wasn't a bit apologetic and very defensive. Not impressed at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Can someone PM me the blogger?

What is depop anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

What is depop anyway?

Can I get a pm of the blogger too?

Depop is basically a buying and selling app for fashion items :)

PM'd you both x

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

What is depop anyway?

This is literally the exact post I was just about to make! :) I'd love a PM letting me know who it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭A_smurf

Trying not to be nosey here... Honest! But I'd like to know in a pm who the blogger is too? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

A_smurf wrote: »
    Trying not to be nosey here... Honest! But I'd like to know in a pm who the blogger is too? :)

Me too please!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Feck it, me too :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Morby

Jumping on the bandwagon here, me three please! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

Can I get a pm too? And can anyone tell me more about depop ,I don't know who to follow,or how to filter things like clothes makeup etc... I find the site hard to navigate!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Not trying to cause trouble but why is it all hush hush and not allowed to mention bloggers unethical actions but we can slag off everyone else in the media all over boards - politicians, actors, people in media stories.

Again not trying to cause trouble, I've always genuinely wanted to know.

I can spot fake people (in person and people in Media) a mile off so I feel no need to know who it is. The list of unethical things bloggers do just continues to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

PLL wrote: »
    Not trying to cause trouble but why is it all hush hush and not allowed to mention bloggers unethical actions but we can slag off everyone else in the media all over boards - politicians, actors, people in media stories.

Again not trying to cause trouble, I've always genuinely wanted to know.

I can spot fake people (in person and people in Media) a mile off so I feel no need to know who it is. The list of unethical things bloggers do just continues to grow.

I agree and I'm not sure why for some reason it's not the done thing to discuss someones actions; there's enough moaning about Joan Burton and Enda Kenny, the entire Celeb Big Bro house etc, but not this? As someone said if they are that sensitive about their careers then frankly they are in the wrong one.

<SNIP>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭doireannod

If a politician or a more high profile media personality did something as deceitful and unethical as this their name would be dragged through the media and they'd be forced to own up to it, explain and apologise.

Also, GOMI is a site dedicated to naming and shaming bloggers for the ridiculous things they do eg. Selling items on Depop for more than cost price, photoshopping yourself 2 stone thinner etc. Why can't bloggers be named on Boards in the same way? And why are threads about bloggers locked if someone feels it's bitchy? There's another thread dedicated to things you think make someone a "tosser" eg. wearing your name badge when you're not at work! That's an entire thread of bitchy "haters". Why are bloggers wrapped up in cotton wool by Boards? Why are we not allowed to hate them?! But we're allowed to hate almost all other sectors/aspects of society. I don't get it and find it frustrating. GOMI is a lot more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

doireannod wrote: »
    If a politician or a more high profile media personality did something as deceitful and unethical as this their name would be dragged through the media and they'd be forced to own up to it, explain and apologise.

Also, GOMI is a site dedicated to naming and shaming bloggers for the ridiculous things they do eg. Selling items on Depop for more than cost price, photoshopping yourself 2 stone thinner etc. Why can't bloggers be named on Boards in the same way? And why are threads about bloggers locked if someone feels it's bitchy? There's another thread dedicated to things you think make someone a "tosser" eg. wearing your name badge when you're not at work! That's an entire thread of bitchy "haters". Why are bloggers wrapped up in cotton wool by Boards? Why are we not allowed to hate them?! But we're allowed to hate almost all other sectors/aspects of society. I don't get it and find it frustrating. GOMI is a lot more fun.

I think it says an awful lot about a person if their idea of fun is to hate people.

I think it says an awful lot about a person if their idea of fun is to hate people.

It's gossiping. Gossiping is fun to me. And it's akin to watching car crash tv and gossiping about it with your friends. Are you familiar with the term "people we love to hate"?

And I still don't understand why we are allowed to hate politicians/people who wear their name badges etc but not allowed to snark on bloggers.

This thread will probably be locked for going off topic despite the fact that everyday conversations with your friends over coffee meander off topic everyday. That's the nature of conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I agree. We can talk about ISIS, the war in Syria, politicians running for election, stupid people on Facebook, Catholic bashing, signs someone is a w*nker, but God forbid someone criticise a blogger. That's unacceptable.

There's a thread on Boards.ie called "Man United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours". There are comments like "Anderson is still fat". Wonder if there'd be an issue with starting a thread called "Bloggers: Talk/Gossip/Rumours" and then proceeding to call one of them fat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 prettie

Can someone pm me the blogger too pls!

Advertisement