Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭xraylady

Clareman wrote: »
    I rang them yesterday and they told me that they'd process a refund for the charge for booking the flight, no email confirmation just that it will hit my account when the bank processes it, happy days.

I was also pleasantly surprised with their customer service today. Booked for myself and two kids , one 19 and one 11yrs. Only when I went to check in I realised that I'd put older one down as the child and younger one as adult. I phoned the 15c/min number and after short hold was told that they'd swap the names around for me. No charge. In the bad old days I guess I would have been charged two name change fees! I was impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Wasn't expecting a next day reply to my email predictable enough response but fairs fair quick enough and to the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

jonnny68 wrote: »
    This mornings flight wasn't a pleasant experience (well it never usually is but grin and bear it) the plane didn't have the usual "Ryanair" on it but something like Air Globe or something similar, lots of people asking is this definitely the flight to Dublin looked like a smaller aircraft than the usual.
    Anyway boarded and noticed the plane was filthy, FR planes with their so called 25 minutes turn around would never be the cleanest anyway, but this was horrible, the seats looked like they hadn't been cleaned in years, the pull down tray was absolutely filthy with tea and coffee stains, the floor looked filthy too, the person beside me even remarked this and said it was disgusting , the plane itself had even less legroom and looked like a throwback to the late 70/early 80's type of aircraft, old and dated.

As I said I fly that often I generally just grin and bear it but this was disgusting, I didn't pay €79, which isn't that cheap to board a dated plane which was filthy, this time I'll certainly be making a complaint, I'm not expecting silver service like Emirates, etc but general basic cleanliness is an absolute must on a plane.

The intercom too wouldn't even work properly and the staff seemed to forget that you can now use a non sim card tablet and don't have to turn it off before take off and landing and it's been like this now for quite sometime.

Just when you think FR might be getting slightly better you have this.

I'll bet you were on one of their AirExplore contracted ones. I had one coming back from Edinburgh and what you describe is about right. Way below the usual Ryanair standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,287 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

fr336 wrote: »
    Are FR completely pulling out of Prestwick?! Don't they have a big maintenance base there?

Not fully and yes they do have a maintenance facility

http://www.airportwatch.org.uk/?p=22140

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

jonnny68 wrote: »
    This mornings flight wasn't a pleasant experience (well it never usually is but grin and bear it) the plane didn't have the usual "Ryanair" on it but something like Air Globe or something similar, lots of people asking is this definitely the flight to Dublin looked like a smaller aircraft than the usual.
    Anyway boarded and noticed the plane was filthy, FR planes with their so called 25 minutes turn around would never be the cleanest anyway, but this was horrible, the seats looked like they hadn't been cleaned in years, the pull down tray was absolutely filthy with tea and coffee stains, the floor looked filthy too, the person beside me even remarked this and said it was disgusting , the plane itself had even less legroom and looked like a throwback to the late 70/early 80's type of aircraft, old and dated.

As I said I fly that often I generally just grin and bear it but this was disgusting, I didn't pay €79, which isn't that cheap to board a dated plane which was filthy, this time I'll certainly be making a complaint, I'm not expecting silver service like Emirates, etc but general basic cleanliness is an absolute must on a plane.

The intercom too wouldn't even work properly and the staff seemed to forget that you can now use a non sim card tablet and don't have to turn it off before take off and landing and it's been like this now for quite sometime.

Just when you think FR might be getting slightly better you have this.

Sounds like you were on a leased aircraft operating on behalf of Ryanair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Sounds like you were on a leased aircraft operating on behalf of Ryanair.

I flew back from Nice Sunday night. The plane was an oldish looking 737-400, operated by "Air Contractors" on behalf of Ryanair. Plain white outside, no markings. The cabin crew wore Ryanair uniforms, though I didn't notice them selling scratch cards etc.

On the plus side, it had seat pockets. To balance that out, it had reclining seats, which the numpties in front shoved back 4 seconds after takeoff.

It was clean enough, a bit short stocked, though it was 30 minutes late arriving in Nice so they may not have had time to restock properly.

First time I've been on a leased aircraft, though it's been a while since I flew FR - is this common now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

MOH wrote: »
    I flew back from Nice Sunday night. The plane was an oldish looking 737-400, operated by "Air Contractors" on behalf of Ryanair. Plain white outside, no markings. The cabin crew wore Ryanair uniforms, though I didn't notice them selling scratch cards etc.

On the plus side, it had seat pockets. To balance that out, it had reclining seats, which the numpties in front shoved back 4 seconds after takeoff.

It was clean enough, a bit short stocked, though it was 30 minutes late arriving in Nice so they may not have had time to restock properly.

First time I've been on a leased aircraft, though it's been a while since I flew FR - is this common now?

I could be wrong but i think its while there waiting on there new shipment of planes which are due at the start of next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

I swear if I ran an airline I'd ban ******* reclining seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

jaymcg91 wrote: »

Hasn't Ryanair basically done that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Couldn't help but notice that on two recent flights on A/L nobody reclined their seats in front of me or in the seats opposite. I put it down to Ryanair 'educating' passengers on proper passenger etiquette :)

I think it's called 'wet leasing'. A/L have 4 aircraft wet leased to Virgin on their London /Scottish routes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

http://www.ryanair.com/ie/questions/24-hour-minor-booking-errrors/

You are supposed to contact a call centre to arrange this, you having booked a 2nd flight already may not be facilitated but no harm in calling to ask nicely (other than the call cost that is!)

The refund of the €200 went through last night, very painless process, I'm not sure how much the phone call cost, but I used my work phone so that won't affect me :)

Thanks again

joeysoap wrote: »
    Couldn't help but notice that on two recent flights on A/L nobody reclined their seats in front of me or in the seats opposite. I put it down to Ryanair 'educating' passengers on proper passenger etiquette :)

I think it's called 'wet leasing'. A/L have 4 aircraft wet leased to Virgin on their London /Scottish routes.

If Ryanair provide their own crew then I think thats called a Damp lease :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

On short haul flights at least. No need for them there. On long haul flights, I'd install a remote control switch so they could only be reclined after meals/light dimming or the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 maireeileen

Thanks to Ryanair!
    I entered my name in english when booking a flight but 1st page on my passport is 'as Gaeilge'
    . Contacted Ryanair by email within the 24 hour grace period and hey presto they changed it without any fanfare ....and (without any fee)
    Way to go Ryanair !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Thanks to Ryanair!
    I entered my name in english when booking a flight but 1st page on my passport is 'as Gaeilge'
    . Contacted Ryanair by email within the 24 hour grace period and hey presto they changed it without any fanfare ....and (without any fee)
    Way to go Ryanair !

You set up an account to post this? Nice try, Michael. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

Hi,
    Sorry if this has been asked a load of times in the past but I'm interested to know what the official line is since they relaxed some of their policies.

I have to go to a wedding abroad and was wondering what I can do with my suit. Can I have the suit separate to my carry on bag or does it have to be squashed into my carry on bag?

I phoned Ryanair twice today but they seemed clueless and gave me a very confusing reply each time.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    Hi,
    Sorry if this has been asked a load of times in the past but I'm interested to know what the official line is since they relaxed some of their policies.

I have to go to a wedding abroad and was wondering what I can do with my suit. Can I have the suit separate to my carry on bag or does it have to be squashed into my carry on bag?

I phoned Ryanair twice today but they seemed clueless and gave me a very confusing reply each time.

Thanks!
    I don't know policy but I suspect regulations mean that all cabin baggage will have to go into the overhead bins or under the seat so there's a good chance your suit will get squashed anyway. Might be safer to wear it onto the flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Hi,

Thanks!

Folded correctly a suit will be fine. I have done it several times. A cotton suit would need pressing but all others, if properly handled should be OK.

• Advertisement

Folded correctly a suit will be fine. I have done it several times. A cotton suit would need pressing but all others, if properly handled should be OK.

Hi, sorry. Just to be clear. If I zip it up so it is folded in half and perhaps have it sitting on top of my carry on bag, they won't have a problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I've had to travel to the UK for a few weddings recently. I find the easiest thing to do is just wear the suit on the flight.
    Hi, sorry. Just to be clear. If I zip it up so it is folded in half and perhaps have it sitting on top of my carry on bag, they won't have a problem?

I'm certain that they will have a problem with that as they'd count it as two items of hand luggage (tbh I'd count it as two items of hand luggage).

If you don't want to wear it and are only going to take hand luggage I think you'll need to fold it so that it fits in your hand luggage.

You aren't going to want to gamble on whether you can or can't take your suit with you. If you're in doubt then call Ryanair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Doesn't matter what airline, the best way to carry a suit is to wear it.

Perfect!

Will wear it.

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks!

You can bring two items of hand luggage onto Ryanair flights.
    A suit will be no problem.

If necessary it'll fit into the box in front (doubt they'll ask, never did for me anyway)

IMG_20131211_183959926.jpg

Did myself a few times.

You can bring two items of hand luggage onto Ryanair flights.
    A suit will be no problem.

If necessary it'll fit into the box in front (doubt they'll ask, never did for me anyway)

IMG_20131211_183959926.jpg

Did myself a few times.

Brilliant stuff Keith!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Yeah they dont seem to check much anymore, i was going to iniza and brought a carry on and a backpack much bigger than that and i wasnt even asked!

Only the first 90 are guaranteed to get taking carryon luggage on board now. You will have a seat allocation anyway so maybe purchase priority boarding for €2 to make the first 90?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Successfully got a refund off Ryanair there. Had booked the wrong date for a return flight, copped on straight away but the call centre was closed so I booked the correct flight 4 minutes later. Rang them up today and they said they don't do refunds but the fella looked at my account and saw that I'd booked the new flight straight away and agreed to refund the incorrect one. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 Hidden Cyclone

irish_goat wrote: »
    Successfully got a refund off Ryanair there. Had booked the wrong date for a return flight, copped on straight away but the call centre was closed so I booked the correct flight 4 minutes later. Rang them up today and they said they don't do refunds but the fella looked at my account and saw that I'd booked the new flight straight away and agreed to refund the incorrect one. :)

Wow! surely wouldn't have happened in the "bad old days"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

I have a quick question about Ryanair. I'm meant travel on holidays later this week. One of the party, who is part of the booking, has said that they can't travel.

Does anybody know if we can still travel without contacting Ryanair, or do I need to contact them? Also. anybody know if I can cancel their portion of the ticket without cancelling the rest of the parties travelling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,554 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The rest of you can travel regardless. There is no point cancelling as you don't get anything back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

You don't have to do anything, so long as he he doesn't check in/go through the security gates it shouldn't affect the flight at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

I wouldn't try and cancell his part of the travel incase something went wrong and screwed up the rest of your party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Contact them - it's the new friendly airline!

Could the person travel at a later time? They might be able to do that for a few quid extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

has anyone used Paypal to pay for a flight with them yet?
    do they charge any fee for using that payment option?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Clauric wrote: »
    I have a quick question about Ryanair. I'm meant travel on holidays later this week. One of the party, who is part of the booking, has said that they can't travel.

Does anybody know if we can still travel without contacting Ryanair, or do I need to contact them? Also. anybody know if I can cancel their portion of the ticket without cancelling the rest of the parties travelling?

You get nothing by cancelling. You can get the tax back on it afterwards if one doesn't travel- most don't bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

has anyone used Paypal to pay for a flight with them yet?
    do they charge any fee for using that payment option?

It's quoted as soon as you choose a flight - it's the same price as using a credit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

http://blog.aerlingus.com/blog/2014/09/02/new-route-to-leeds-bradford

Not FR related but I'm a happy man after seeing this for those who travel regularly to Leeds Bradford ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭kiteman

We flew Ryanair to barcelona late april 2014, and the difference is fantastic. 4 of us had a carry on case and a good size backpack each.
    Our cases went into the hold, free of charge and they were on the carousel within minutes of entering the arrivals hall.
    Yes Ryanair were perceived (and most times deservedly so) as the bad boys of the aviation world, but their new approach to customers is excellent.
    Long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sparklespark

Hello, can anyone tell me if the Ryanair flight is one hour delayed can you claim compensation? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hello, can anyone tell me if the Ryanair flight is one hour delayed can you claim compensation? Thanks

No, has to be three hours or more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

athtrasna wrote: »
    No, has to be three hours or more

It's 2 hours or more for flights < 1500km which would cover a large number of Ryanair's flights.

http://www.aviationreg.ie/Delay/Default.210.html

Lots of get out of jail cards in Ryanair's (and every carrier's) playing cards.

If an airline can prove that the delay was caused by an extraordinary circumstance which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures were taken, no compensation will be payable.
    Examples of events which may constitute extraordinary circumstances can be found here.

We were delayed by over 3 hours in June (EJ). and got an email to this effect 'EJ hope that the delay will not stop you booking with us again in the future' Not even a sarnie, as in the case of RY, EasyJet are light on the ground when there is a delay. Airport announcer is where we got our information.

Think Aer Lingus are bit more pro-active, certainly were a few years ago when we were delayed in Barcelona (due to a technical fault) Aer Lingus gave every passenger €20 in vouchers for airport food and drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Dub_Jim_Royle

For once I have to praise Ryanair.
    Recently head to cancel flights due to medical reasons. Was prepared for a long battle with Drs letters to back up Drs letters to back up Drs letters.
    The online chat were a little bit frustrating but submitted everything, got a call within 2 days and had a full refund back on my card within 3 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Recently head to cancel flights due to medical reasons. Was prepared for a long battle with Drs letters to back up Drs letters to back up Drs letters.
    The online chat were a little bit frustrating but submitted everything, got a call within 2 days and had a full refund back on my card within 3 days.
    had you the insurance, or just asking for a bit of good will on their behalf?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Dub_Jim_Royle

had you the insurance, or just asking for a bit of good will on their behalf?

No. Didn't have insurance. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Same here, had to cancel flights due to medical reasons. Letter from hospital consultant as backup proof. Contacted by Ryanair and flights refunded in full within a couple of days.

Very relieved as the flights were to the UK for the upcoming October bank holiday, so were quite pricey given the long weekend.

For future reference, on their website go to Useful Info-Contact Us-FAQ-Contact Form. Choose "Complaint" and this will allow you to attach a scan of the doctor/hospital letter etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭kingofburt

Got to give big praise to Ryanair for their actions this morning. My sister was due to fly Derry London this morning and get a connecting flight to Barcelona this afternoon. Due to heavy fog in Derry all flights have been diverted to Belfast and passengers are being brought up by bus. This would have left my sister missing her connecting flight.

I booked a new flight from Dublin for her for this evening and when I collected her from the Derry airport Ryanair had said she has lost compensation for the Derry to London flight but they have changed the London to Barcelona flight to Dublin so she isn't out of pocket at all.

Amazing service as they offered an alternative route on the affected flight and had no obligation on the second flight to do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Kat1170

And people complain about Ryanair ....

• Advertisement
Advertisement