Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MOTO GP 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

As usual another nail-biting Moto 3 race , those boyz are mental.....thankfully...:)
    Although i dont like Marquez it shows just how good he is when he has to be...the motogp boys better look out, maybe thats why Stoner is getting out...while he can still walk...
    Spies should have thrown in the towel weeks ago, ..someone in Crutchlows garage needs a P45 me thinks.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

As usual another nail-biting Moto 3 race , those boyz are mental.....thankfully...:)
    Although i dont like Marquez it shows just how good he is when he has to be...the motogp boys better look out, maybe thats why Stoner is getting out...while he can still walk...
    Spies should have thrown in the towel weeks ago, ..someone in Crutchlows garage needs a P45 me thinks.....
    I don't think Crutchlows fuel issue was anyones fault, he was on his own for much of the race, not drafting and full throttle.
    Thats going to cost more in fuel. However I did see a good few flames on the overrun.
    Marquez won't be able to race like that in the 1000cc class, those Moto2 bikes are slower than Supersport 600's. Stick him on the big bike and things will change a lot, another 120hp will make him concentrate a lot more.
    Something wrong with Spies garage, how can he have all these problems with his brakes FFS? Its simple maintenance.
    Houseworth not doing his job right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Lorenzo on pole for the Malaysian GP tomorrow with Pedrosa snapping at his heels. Dani needs to win and Jorge needs to blow an engine or have an off to make the last two races interesting.

Race red flagged!!! The rain, holy sh!t. :eek:

So Pedrosa 1st, Lorenzo 2nd and Stacey 3rd. Definitely Lorenzo's to lose with 2 races to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Race red flagged!!! The rain, holy sh!t. :eek:

So Pedrosa 1st, Lorenzo 2nd and Stacey 3rd. Definitely Lorenzo's to lose with 2 races to go!

Lorenzo very fortunate - Casey would have passed him and Hayden too.

Moto 2 was a great race but why did they count back two laps ? Great to see Westie and Gino on the podium.

Moto 3 - another classic last lap - such a pity Maverick wasn't taking part - Aspar or KTM next year ??

• Advertisement

Infoanon wrote: »
    Moto 3 - another classic last lap - such a pity Maverick wasn't taking part - Aspar or KTM next year ??
    They made offers but his personal manager and also Avintia Blusens team manager apparently didn't show him the offers!
    No wonder Maverick was pissed off, after signing for two more years with them.
    That has to be a conflict of interest.
    Interesting that ELav tweeted that the same manager refused to shake his hand two years ago after the Silverstone race.
    Sounds like a nice piece of work.
    Looking forward to seeing Maverick on some competitive machinery next year.

Ben Spies is out of the Australian Moto GP and requires surgery following yesterdays high side in Sepang.

Yamaha have confirmed that there will be no replacement rider.

Oh man what a yawnfest, i'm glad i recorded it so i could go from lap 2 to the last lap in one press...Dani Dani Dani...:rolleyes:
    Happy for Cal, great for Stoner and Lorenzo.....they think its all over....:)

Oh man what a yawnfest, i'm glad i recorded it so i could go from lap 2 to the last lap in one press...Dani Dani Dani...:rolleyes:
    Happy for Cal, great for Stoner and Lorenzo.....they think its all over....:)

The highlight of the race was the brilliant dicing with Dovi, Bradl and Bautista. Some great racing with them three lads. As for Dani - this was his chance and he blew it!! :(

The highlight of the race was the brilliant dicing with Dovi, Bradl and Bautista. Some great racing with them three lads. As for Dani - this was his chance and he blew it!! :(

Dani had to go for it - his chances of taking the title were slim thanks to Hector Barbera - and he has won 5 of the last 6 races.

Going into 2013 the Honda should be the best bike on the grid - Marquez will take a few races to find the limits and that should open up a chance for Dani to take the 2013 title.

Great battle for 3rd in Moto 3 and Moto GP ,and great last few laps in Moto 2.

• Advertisement

Dani had to go for it - his chances of taking the title were slim thanks to Hector Barbera - and he has won 5 of the last 6 races.

Going into 2013 the Honda should be the best bike on the grid - Marquez will take a few races to find the limits and that should open up a chance for Dani to take the 2013 title.
    Marquez is good on a Moto2 bike, There are plenty of good riders that couldn't make the jump to MotoGP bikes though.
    120 hp vs 250+hp is a big difference.
    The RCV might just be the fastest but as far as handling goes the M1 is still superior, you just had to look at the slo-mo footage from Phillip Island and the difference between the Honda and Yamaha in suspension movement coming out of the last corner.
    Pedrosa and Stoners bikes were bucking and weaving all over the place, Lorenzo's machine was as calm and settled compared to them.
    Casey doesn't mind a machine that moves thats why he could ride the Ducati but I am not so sure other riders find it as easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Marquez is good on a Moto2 bike, There are plenty of good riders that couldn't make the jump to MotoGP bikes though.
    120 hp vs 250+hp is a big difference.

I'd have a lot of confidence in Marquez ability to ride the 1000cc bike. From talking to riders this year it's been pretty clear that adjusting to the bike isnt the major issue for them but rather the equipment that they have at their disposal.

Saying that though it's always a difficult situation for a young rider and for one as small as Marquez there are obviously certain aspects that will be a major question until he rides the RCV. Having Pedrosa ride the bike so well though shows that a small rider can still perform on it so I'd be pretty surprised if Marc wasnt a pacesetter in the big class.
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    The RCV might just be the fastest but as far as handling goes the M1 is still superior, you just had to look at the slo-mo footage from Phillip Island and the difference between the Honda and Yamaha in suspension movement coming out of the last corner.
    Pedrosa and Stoners bikes were bucking and weaving all over the place, Lorenzo's machine was as calm and settled compared to them.
    Casey doesn't mind a machine that moves thats why he could ride the Ducati but I am not so sure other riders find it as easy.

Honda horsepower versus Yamaha agility, it's been the fight for 30 years as both manufacturers find their solutions to the age old racing problem. I dont see too much difference between the bikes but if you ask any racer which would he prefer between a difficult to handle bike that has a power advantage for a slightly slower (in a straight line) bike that can handle well and the rider will always say the powerful one!

I think next year is shaping up very nicely with Rossi back on the Yam and the Hondas having a strong stable of riders....cant wait for the Valencia test when we all start looking toward 2013!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,477 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Reckon Ducati will keep Rossi off the Yamaha until 1st Jan? Or are teams still allowed do that?

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

ninja900 wrote: »
    Reckon Ducati will keep Rossi off the Yamaha until 1st Jan? Or are teams still allowed do that?

Na he's testing the Yamaha on the Tuesday after the race.

Rossi and his crew are free to work for Yamaha after the end of the Valencia GP so on Tuesday we'll see Vale back on the M1! The end of season usually sees teams allow riders and mechanics to move once the flag drops at the last race even though they are still under contract until the end of the year.

There's been some examples where this hasnt been the cause, for example Honda wouldnt let Rossi ride the Yamaha until the Sepang test in 2004 (late January I think) but when he moved to Ducati in 2010 Yamaha let him test on the Tuesday after the final race so now they will return the favour!

are you going to be at the test Frostie?

Grim. wrote: »
    are you going to be at the test Frostie?

I was debating whether or not I had the cash to stay on....and then said to hell with that I wanna see Vale back on the M1! So I'll be there for the first two days anyway (Monday - Moto2 and 3, Tuesday - MotoGP) and probably the Wednesday.

Anyone else heading over for either the race or the test?

Ant West failed a doping test at the French GP and will be banned for a month. He failed it for a product used for dietary supplement and also offers benefits for racers such as an increased sense of awareness according to some reports Ive seen. He can appeal and might be racing at Valencia.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

It will be interesting to see how Spies and Crazy Joe get on with the Pramac Ducati (Ducati Jnr team) next year.

paddy147 wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see how Spies and Crazy Joe get on with the Pramac Ducati (Ducati Jnr team) next year.

Spies needs a fresh start after a miserable year and Iannone could be superb on a MotoGP bike. He needs to find consistency but when he's on it he's amazing to watch.

• Advertisement

Bit of a slow day at Valencia today but I've a few stories uploaded to the website. Interesting that Crutchlow thinks that the CRT bikes could spring a surprise if it stays wet this weekend...
    Also got the thoughts of Rossi, Cal and Dovi about Marquez' aggressive riding and all said that they liked Marc and Dovi admitted that we are seeing a similar rider to Marco Simoncelli a couple of years ago....
    The new track surface didnt get too much running in the damp conditions but while most riders were happy with the new surface Casey said that "it sucked."
    Here's a couple of pictures from the limitted running in the afternoon MotoGP session:
    189673_439755079414479_1229432273_n.jpg

374439_439755252747795_18698024_n.jpg

481830_439755762747744_1733146063_n.jpg

552435_439754212747899_1226875033_n.jpg

18263_439755476081106_274598134_n.jpg

59627_439754782747842_1218512428_n.jpg

Who's 71? A wild card?

Scrap the cap!

Who's 71? A wild card?

There's a few new faces this weekend. 71 is Claudio Corti. 73 is Hiro Aoyama and 21 is Katsuyuki Nakasuga

Pedstoneorenzo........theres yer winner tomorrow..i'll be glued to my sofa..!!!...:)

Esparagro ahead of Rossi........:o

Pedstoneorenzo........theres yer winner tomorrow..i'll be glued to my sofa..!!!...:)

Esparagro ahead of Rossi........:o

Last ever one hour qualifying format ! personally liked it.

Anyword on the weather for Sunday ? word of mixed conditions earlier - normally Valencia is a good spot to top up the Sun tan this time of the year.

Think Casey, injury aside , has the more consistant pace, Moto 2 should be interesting with Marquez starting at the rear (deservedly so) while Moto 3 shall be nuts as usual - Vinales has a point to prove....

Anyword on the weather for Sunday ? word of mixed conditions earlier - normally Valencia is a good spot to top up the Sun tan this time of the year

The weather was really nice today, shorts and t-shirts stuff, but the forecast is for rain tomorrow....and lots of it in the afternoon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

any one know anywhere in dublin that would be deff showing race today.......most places will have football on city spurs....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Goodbye to Casey Stoner and also to my interest in who wins the title next year. I'm just hoping for some good racing next season with Rossi coming back to Yamaha and Marquez coming in to Moto GP. Can't say I'm really a fan of any of the current riders so won't be rooting for anyone in particular.

Goodbye to Casey Stoner and also to my interest in who wins the title next year. I'm just hoping for some good racing next season with Rossi coming back to Yamaha and Marquez coming in to Moto GP. Can't say I'm really a fan of any of the current riders so won't be rooting for anyone in particular.

Do you like him?

I find him a detestable **** tbh, hes no loss.

• Advertisement

Really wish Sic was still around :( but hopefully VR will keep Lorenzo honest.
    More consistency from the likes of Bradl and Crutchlow should mean more bikes battling for the podium, whatever about wins.
    If Pedrosa can avoid injury again next year and get a little bit better luck, it could be his best title shot.

Scrap the cap!

I wouldn't say Stacy Moaner is no loss, not at all, but I always found it very hard to warm to the guy. Think he'll mellow out a bit after a couple of years away and might even come back..

Scrap the cap!

Do you like him?

He's no loss? Come on! He's probably the most talented rider of his generation (yes I'm including Rossi in that) and one of the most spectacular riders we have ever seen. He brought so much to the sport for the last ten years and to disregard that is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Johny 8

Looking toward to cal crutchlow next year! He had a great improvement this year. Is there much difference between the factory team bike and the satellite bike???

I find him a detestable **** tbh,hes no loss .

Are you kidding...:eek:...the guy is a genius on any bike...i dont love the lad but to disregard his talent just because you dont like him is a bit childish.... I dont pick sides but i was hoping that Spies would do better...

A7gkTnnCQAAlO1F.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Do you like him?

I'm not a huge fan of Stoner but it's only because I find him a bit of an ass, apparently though he is a nice guy it just does not come across on camera too well. To say he is no loss is a bit stupid. His talent is absolutely unquestionable, what he can do on a bike is crazy.
    I don't really like the whole Rossi v's Stoner debate. I don't think one is better than the other, they are both outstanding riders.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

frostie500 wrote: »

He's no loss? Come on! He's probably the most talented rider of his generation (yes I'm including Rossi in that) and one of the most spectacular riders we have ever seen. He brought so much to the sport for the last ten years and to disregard that is ridiculous.
    Better than the goat? You joking

Better than the goat? You joking

I didn't say that Stoner was the greatest rider ever but I do think that he is the most talented that we have seen. Casey is the epitome of the star that shines twice as bright burns half as long. From a year standing trackside I have seen him do things on his bike that no-one else could even contemplate doing.

His feeling for what the bike is doing is beyond that of anyone else on the grid. In my view it plays a pretty big role in how often we see Casey giving out about track surface and tyre performance etc. He feels things that the rest of the field dont, he is ultra sensitive to what is going on around him.

Were it not for some decisions that he made and some bad luck he would have been even more successful than he has been since coming into the premier class. He split with Alberto Puig before moving to Grand Prix in 2002. It means that he raced for LCR in 250cc's while Dani Pedrosa got the Puig backing and raced for five years (and three titles) with Telefonica Honda in 125s and 250s.

Saying all that Stoner's numbers in the junior classes are still quite good. But it was in MotoGP that we really saw him shine. Here's the numbers since 2006 when Casey and Dani joined MotoGP:

Wins: Stoner-38, Rossi-26, Lorenzo-23, Pedrosa-22
    Podiums: Pedrosa-71, Stoner-69, Rossi-60, Lorenzo-60
    Poles: Stoner-39, Lorenzo-25, Pedrosa-24, Rossi-21

Obviously Rossi has the edge in sheer numbers but its undeniable that the last six years have been the most competitive in MotoGP with four riders all capable of beating each other. Look back to Rossi's first six years in the 500/MotoGP class and you'll see that he did it against weak competition (Robers, Biaggi, Giberneau etc) Good riders all but in the big class were never a match for the current group.

Rossi's inability to win on the Ducati while Stoner was dominant on it also has to play a part in his legacy. He is the only rider with enough feel to ride the Ducati and win on it. If it were not for the inability to diagnose his lactose intolerance and he would have been even more successful.

I'm not saying any of this to disparage Rossi, I also think that he will be remembered as the greatest of all time, but I think that Casey's talent and speed are greater than Rossi's.

A7hizcYCYAE_Lar.jpg

Here's a couple of race shots:
    Moto3 Race:
    8179475852_529dc827cf_z.jpg
    I'm a big fan of Alex Marquez, I think he could be something very special. He showed a lot of spark this year at times but had a few too many crashes in the second half of the season....he'd remind you a lot of Marc in many ways!

8179458336_4561abac6d_z.jpg
    It looked for much of the race that Sandro Cortese would cap off his title winning season with another race win...except no-one told Danny Kent! I love the contrast of emotions between Danny and Sandro in this shot
    8179472780_d957055354_z.jpg

8179462338_21a15c88e9_z.jpg

Not really sure how Juan Francisco Guevaro stayed on his bike after this save
    8179468322_15771e6b46_z.jpg

8179435103_9af02a97c5_z.jpg

Moto2 Race:
    8179420602_499dceefa8_z.jpg
    Pol started from the pole...but in the wet he was always going to struggle

8179425354_f21fb99800_z.jpg
    Julian Simon led for a lot of the race but his tyres started to go off in the closing stages and it gave Marc Marquez the chance to take a famous back to front victory

8179393345_c8b00ee3d1_z.jpg

MotoGP race:
    Aleix Espargaro got the jump on the field at the start of the race with the CRT machinery able to get the power down easier than the prototypes
    8179382059_5e5985be25_z.jpg

Couple of close up shots:
    8179355269_866664a4d2_z.jpg

8179378441_f2c61744ec_z.jpg

Rossi can finally put his Ducati nightmare to rest, here he is in the last couple of corners in red:
    8179379874_3f46b782be_z.jpg

Of course Valencia will always be remembered for Casey's last race:
    8179457209_2aedd96450_z.jpg

8179489068_0d4115d47f_z.jpg

• Advertisement

Nice shots Frostie. Can I ask what camera and lens you're using for them.

h3000 wrote: »
    Nice shots Frostie. Can I ask what camera and lens you're using for them.

Cheers! It's a Canon 60D and for most of these shots it was a 300mm lens. Check out my gallery here for everything else from Valencia. If anyone's interested all the images in my gallery are available for sale as framed prints or on canvas so PM me if youre interested

Did you stay over there for the testing Frostie500?

A7k7PSDCQAA5VtF.jpg

I was supposed to stay for the three days but there's a strike in Spain tomorrow (and I heard that it could stretch into Thursday too) and there's no outbound flights so I had to change my plans last night and come home. Really annoyed to miss out on seeing Vale back on the Yam and Marquez on a MotoGP bike but what can you do.

However I was at the Moto2 test yesterday and have a couple of notes from it. I thought Danny Kent looked pretty comfortable on the Tech3 bike, even if there is little chance of him impressing unless the team makes significant strides in improving the bike. I was down in the pits for some of the session for the time time and I've gotta say it was deadly!

I left Valencia at about half nine and the weather had started to turn and by the time testing started it was already starting to spit with rain so there wont be much of an indication of how riders are adapting etc to their new bikes but as Dovi said over the weekend the first test is to try and get a feel for handlebar and footrest positions more than anything else.

Yamaha are still undecided as to whether to move to Aragon for day two because the weather is just as bad there.

Anyword on who shall ride the CRT Gresini now that the sponsorship has been tied up ?

And will San Carlos colours be adorning the Yamahas next season ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Frostie any news from Suzuki on a return next year ,or are they waiting on the rule changes for 2014

ZX7R wrote: »
    Frostie any news from Suzuki on a return next year ,or are they waiting on the rule changes for 2014

Lots of rumours but precious little facts. It looks as though Dorna have demanded that if Suzuki are looking to return to the sport that they will have to guarantee their place until 2019. Dorna were hurt pretty badly by Suzuki pulling out after giving them a lot of dispensations with engines/testing/riders to keep them happy and on the grid.

One of the most interesting rumours I heard at Valencia was that they had approached Randy de Puniet to be their test rider next year (and do some wild card entries.) Not sure about it though as I didnt talk to anyone from Suzuki or Randy over the weekend but he's a big loss to be flopping around on a CRT machine instead of a proper bike

Anyword on who shall ride the CRT Gresini now that the sponsorship has been tied up ?

And will San Carlos colours be adorning the Yamahas next season ?

No news at all about the Gresini CRT bike or the Yamaha sponsors but it wouldnt be a stretch to see the San Carlo logos on the side of the bike! Also for Yamaha they would allow the team to run their Yamaha Europe colours (red and white) which are so good looking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Do you like him?

I do. Brilliant rider. He could tame bikes that nobody else could.

• Advertisement
Advertisement