Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic in the morning.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Also, what's the deal with tractors on the N25 and the N40, often in the mornings?! They block up their own lane, but you also get the a**holes who drive up behind them, overtaking traffic in the outer lane, then slow down to 40, and immediately pull out into the overtaking lane, causing everyone there to brake. So you end up with both lanes driving at 40 until you're past the offending tractor. I realise both roads are N-roads, so no law against tractors, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LCruiserKid

corblimey wrote: »
    Also, what's the deal with tractors on the N25 and the N40, often in the mornings?! They block up their own lane, but you also get the a**holes who drive up behind them, overtaking traffic in the outer lane, then slow down to 40, and immediately pull out into the overtaking lane, causing everyone there to brake. So you end up with both lanes driving at 40 until you're past the offending tractor. I realise both roads are N-roads, so no law against tractors, but still.

Yeah quite a few alright. Contractors at Maize this time of the year so they have to use the roads depending where the job is on, lads hauling straw too etc. I don't mind them, at least they can drive and are going as fast as they can to be fair. It's the fools behind them that jam on the brakes when it suddenly dawns on them what's in front of them. You'd swear they were afraid to overtake :D Just overtake them and get on with it instead of doing the fool and causing even more of a tailback.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

corblimey wrote: »

Couldn't agree more.
    I don't honestly see why they would need to be on the dual carriageway (or why on earth anybody thinks it's a good idea to allow them onto a road with 120kph max limit), there are plenty of other roads they could take where they would not be such a hazard to other road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It's people in the driving lanes of the Kinsale Road flyover who try to cut into the off ramp to go to the airport etc. This creates a knock on effect of cars having to slowdown and creates the traffic queues.

Not in my experience. Heading West (c. 8.15), there is generally a kilometre or so of 'clear' road before the Kinsale Rd queues. I believe the Douglas bridge slowdowns are the result of some drivers, perhaps unknowingly, easing off on the accelerator as the road 'narrows' on the approach to the bridge. With current traffic levels, it just takes a few cars slowing a few kmph to result in a 'braking wave' behind. Add in all the traffic merging at Rochestown and you have your delays. Interestingly, I've noticed this phenomenon before but it's been absent for the last few years (when traffic generally sped up after Rochestown, going over the bridge) - its return is yet another indicator of increased traffic on the roads.

Personally, I've had to start leaving 10 minutes earlier in the morning (coming through tunnel and Kinsale Rd) - first time I've had to do this in my 10 years of taking this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Not in my experience. Heading West (c. 8.15), there is generally a kilometre or so of 'clear' road before the Kinsale Rd queues.

But that is almost the textbook definition of a phantom traffic jam. The road is long cleared where the issue started and it moves backwards so if you notice it by Douglas/Rochestown, then it started further on up the road...i.e. Kinsale exit.

You are right that people do slow down on the douglas flyover...I notice it every day on the way home also as I approach my turn off for Rochestown heading east. People ease off at the Douglas East exit as it narrows..but it doesn't seem to result in traffic jams here.

Well either way, they are never gonna widen that road or add a third lane..way too expensive. A lot cheaper to plonk a motorbike garda right at the end of the kinsale exit and catch anyone stopping in the driving lane.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Not in my experience. Heading West (c. 8.15), there is generally a kilometre or so of 'clear' road before the Kinsale Rd queues. I believe the Douglas bridge slowdowns are the result of some drivers, perhaps unknowingly, easing off on the accelerator as the road 'narrows' on the approach to the bridge. With current traffic levels, it just takes a few cars slowing a few kmph to result in a 'braking wave' behind. Add in all the traffic merging at Rochestown and you have your delays. Interestingly, I've noticed this phenomenon before but it's been absent for the last few years (when traffic generally sped up after Rochestown, going over the bridge) - its return is yet another indicator of increased traffic on the roads.

Personally, I've had to start leaving 10 minutes earlier in the morning (coming through tunnel and Kinsale Rd) - first time I've had to do this in my 10 years of taking this route.

I'm not sure, from what I can see people (in the left lane) are slowing down for a number of reasons. Some merge back into the left lane after having moved to the right to allow people coming from the Bloomfield side to merge.
    A few meters later, people are slowing down, either to allow people coming up from Douglas to merge, or to find a gap and move into the turn off lane for the Kinsale Roundabout.
    I ended up doing that this morning - I had crossed the flyover and had to move into the lane to turn off for Kinsale Roundabout. I came alongside the merging lane coming up from Douglas, and a white van was coming up. He had no indicators on, so I assumed he was going to go on to the roundabout and I put my foot down a little to get past him and merge in front (he would have been doing about 80, I guess). Just as I come alongside him, he slaps his indicators on an immediately starts changing lanes - I ended up with both feet on my brakes and a lot of not very lady-like expressions on my lips.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

This seems to be the explanation. There's a phantom traffic jam every morning after the Bloomfield Interchange. This disappears the second you get over it. Has nothing at all to do with people slowing down for the Kinsale Roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Must say I've never seen that phantom slowing down for no reason at all. There is a reason and its people cutting in and out of the driving lanes further up towards the kinsale road roundabout which causes a knock on effect. Never seen people braking for no reason at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Must say I've never seen that phantom slowing down for no reason at all. There is a reason and its people cutting in and out of the driving lanes further up towards the kinsale road roundabout which causes a knock on effect. Never seen people braking for no reason at all.

Have you seen the videos at the start of this thread describing the phenomenon? Worth a viewing.

It really isn't. Its happening every single morning there and then completely disappearing again once the flyover has ended. Has absolutely nothing to do with people try to merge into the lane to go up Airport Hill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Shocking bad this morning. One car broke down just past Douglas and it was backed up beyond the Kinsale Rd. Roundabout. Took about half an hour to get from there to Mahon.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Shocking bad this morning. One car broke down just past Douglas and it was backed up beyond the Kinsale Rd. Roundabout. Took about half an hour to get from there to Mahon.

I was a bit later than usual this morning but found the traffic (westbound) ok - probably because of the tailbacks heading the other way! Seems to be every morning now that traffic heading east through the tunnel (mostly to Little Island I'd imagine) is backed up to Rochestown and beyond. How people queue all that time before going into work I don't know - I regularly get it heading home in the evening, but at least I am on the way home! Add in that car broken down just before the Douglas flyover, and consequent queue stretching back to Wilton, and it definitely was not a morning to be driving east!

Good holy Lord, what an epic disaster this morning was. One crash and it has a massive knock-on to such a wide area.
    Took me 1 hour 10 mins to travel 7 miles. As for rubber-neckers jesus wept :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I was wondering what all the queuing was about this morning, the traffic was insane right up to 10am in Douglas!

Malari wrote: »
    I was wondering what all the queuing was about this morning, the traffic was insane right up to 10am in Douglas!

some clown managed to turn their vehicle over at the Bloomfield interchange.

some clown managed to turn their vehicle over at the Bloomfield interchange.

There were a few incidents I think that just made it a perfect storm. One guy just broke down on Douglas flyover. There was that overturned car at the Bloomfield interchange as you say and I heard there was another crash somewhere around the lower Glanmire road.

2 annoyances this morning.

1. The light sequence on the Kinsale Roundabout is after changing. Before, if you came down the sliproad off the South Ring Road, you generally got a free ride all around the roundabout. Now you get stopped at every single light. Its causing huge tailbacks where there were none last week.

2. A bus came out of Black Ash going into town on the South Link Road. There's a bus lane specially there for this bus service. But guess what. Yep, the bus pulled out into the driving lane and didn't even use it. Madness.

2 annoyances this morning.

1. The light sequence on the Kinsale Roundabout is after changing. Before, if you came down the sliproad off the South Ring Road, you generally got a free ride all around the roundabout. Now you get stopped at every single light. Its causing huge tailbacks where there were none last week.

2. A bus came out of Black Ash going into town on the South Link Road. There's a bus lane specially there for this bus service. But guess what. Yep, the bus pulled out into the driving lane and didn't even use it. Madness.

Yeah, big (really big) queue at Kinsale Rd, coming from the East - presumed there had been a crash but I guess the council have been up to their usual tricks! I went on to Sarsfield Rd instead and got where I was going quicker. BTW don't tell anyone, but Sarsfield Rd is really quiet these days! Our little secret!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

They have one lane closed of in the tunnel today and massive tailbacks on either side. Why this isnt been done at night is beyond me.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    They have one lane closed of in the tunnel today and massive tailbacks on either side. Why this isnt been done at night is beyond me.

WTF! Seriously, who is making these decisions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

WTF! Seriously, who is making these decisions?

The council i suppose and all they are doing is putting new concrete around the manhole covers!!!! Traffic is backed up to the Glanmire exit heading southbound. .

I left Cork on Saturday (lunch time) to head up visiting family. There was about a half hour delay getting to the tunnel on our side. The other side was just plain crazy though. Traffic jam all the way back up to the Glanmire exits. I'd say there were people sitting in that traffic heading to Cork waiting up to 2 hours there. It looked like an absolute nightmare. How this work on the tunnel was planned on the Jazz weekend, one of Cork's biggest weekends of the year, is beyond me. Terrible terrible planning. Mind you, the alternative was to do it during the week and disrupt work traffic for 3 days so maybe it was the lesser of two evils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Is there a reason they couldn't do it at night?

Someone has changed the timing of the traffic lights in Riverstown, utterly stupid thing to do, I already seen a tip and an awful amount of cars have been taking chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Bottom of sarsfield rd flooded again this morning, those drainage works they carried out dont seem to be doing much on the approach to the south side of the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

54kroc wrote: »

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/traffic-mayhem-as-officials-choose-jazz-weekend-for-jack-lynch-tunnel-repairs-294073.html
    The work could not be done at night because the concrete could not be driven on the following day.

The spokesman said it will not have reached the required strength to withstand up to 70,000 vehicles a day until 4am tomorrow.

It was a tough call to make. It was the wrong one though IMO. Considering that there is far less traffic going through the tunnel this week with the schools on mid-term break (the road going west was near empty at 8:05 this morning, traffic going east looked heavier though) they should have done it during the week. They could even have waited to start on Sunday when most of the jazz tourists are already in the city. As it was, at its worst there was a 6km tail back on the motorway heading for the tunnel. That is ridiculous and not a good advert for Cork. I'd say some amount of money was lost with all those people stuck in their cars for 2 hours (my guesstimate) when they could have been out shopping, drinking, eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

54kroc wrote: »

Someone has changed the timing of the traffic lights in Riverstown, utterly stupid thing to do, I already seen a tip and an awful amount of cars have been taking chances.

Tips at lights are not caused by a change in light sequence. They are caused by people breaking lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Bacchus wrote: »
    It was a tough call to make. It was the wrong one though IMO. Considering that there is far less traffic going through the tunnel this week with the schools on mid-term break (the road going west was near empty at 8:05 this morning, traffic going east looked heavier though) they should have done it during the week. They could even have waited to start on Sunday when most of the jazz tourists are already in the city. As it was, at its worst there was a 6km tail back on the motorway heading for the tunnel. That is ridiculous and not a good advert for Cork. I'd say some amount of money was lost with all those people stuck in their cars for 2 hours (my guesstimate) when they could have been out shopping, drinking, eating.

or even if they gave notice and did it the weekend before the long weekend, stick ads in the newspapers warning people not to use the tunnel on *certain date*, and stick the notice on a few flashing signs well before the last exit for the tunnel,

then at least if people get stuck there they cannot say they weren't warned AND it's only your bog standard weekend traffic, to do it on such a busy weekend such as a long weekend which happened to not only be the jazz weekend but the first weekend of the mid term break (aka more families coming to Cork/Kerry for the week) was just plain stupidity.

Yup, on the drive back last night, we had no idea what to expect. There was one sign a bit before the Glanmire exit that said "Road Works. Delays expected." That was it, from that one sign (which could easily mean as little as a 10 minute delay) you have to make a snap decision to proceed or take the next exit, something a tourist would not even consider as an option btw. We took the exit anyway, we weren't risking the queues of traffic we saw on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

I apologise to anybody caught going westbound on the south link this morning between half 7-8 as my car broke down on the Douglas flyover! Disaster of a morning

Advertisement