Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic in the morning.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Why is it going to Blackpool retail park?
    Is Cork suitable for something like this? As in has a study been done or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

54kroc wrote: »
    Why is it going to Blackpool retail park?
    Is Cork suitable for something like this? As in has a study been done or something.

I think this is just a wishlist type of thing, as the post said, it was by user: irishfeen (failing that then I've clearly been living under a rock :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

To the motorists in Douglas, here's a hint,

if you have to enter a roundabout where your exit isn't clear for you to move off the roundabout, do NOT be a dick and block other entrances to said roundabout for traffic clearly taking a different (and clear) exit! :mad:

this also applies to the bus eireann bus who did the exact same thing,

also the same thing happened on the junction by barry's pub, i know that junction by Tesco is a mess, but don't block traffic trying to turn right (towards the east village) just because you've been sitting there ages and you are afraid of missing "your spot" to the car behind me (who incidentally isn't going that way judging by their indicators)

Bus eireann drivers are unreal for blocking the left lane at the Topaz junction there, but I suppose they have to be a bit pushy, because they need to take up the two lanes in order to maneuver the bus through the tight junction.

As for cars being dicks on roundabouts, you will spot them all on the Fingerpost roundabout...especially this morning :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Bus eireann drivers are unreal for blocking the left lane at the Topaz junction there, but I suppose they have to be a bit pushy, because they need to take up the two lanes in order to maneuver the bus through the tight junction.

As for cars being dicks on roundabouts, you will spot them all on the Fingerpost roundabout...especially this morning :mad:

Nobody ever lets the bus out of that junction in the morning. I have sat on buses for 20 minutes right there before, they really haven't much of a choice!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

they were so bad there this morning i had to come and vent!

and then infuriating me further the car in front of me sitting in traffic, suddenly her son jumps out of the car in his secondary school uniform (he was nowhere near his school) and starts walking in the rain to school, she turns the car around and goes home,

WHAT was the point of having another car unnecessarily on the roads blocking things up this morning when he is now going to walk and get wet anyways :confused: did she really think she was going to swan through douglas at 8am and get all the way to the school when other secondary students were getting the same "mammy" treatment of being delivered to the door?!?

i hate rainy mornings in Douglas. :mad:
    Luno wrote: »
    Nobody ever lets the bus out of that junction in the morning. I have sat on buses for 20 minutes right there before, they really haven't much of a choice!

i get that and i always let them out at all junctions and they always salute me and offer the same curtesy back when i meet them at other times around douglas to be fair to the drivers, but in this case the bus could have hung back a bit and let us through the roundabout, at least until the roundabout exit was clear enough for him to pull forward but no, he blocked us up for no reason. no car could have jumped ahead of him in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Buses and trucks often are left with no choice but to block junctions. If they hang back because there's only space for half a bus/truck on the other side, inevitably some dick in a car jumps into that space.

Luno wrote: »

that was my point.

I somehow heard (yesterday morning) that the weather was due to be bad this morning so I had 24 hours to mentally prepare for it...and it worked...OK I was in traffic for an hour to travel 7 miles but I wasn't in a state of murderous rage because I knew it was going to be shíte...and at least I wasn't being soaked..and it helped that we didn't allow the Germans to beat us last night...:D

..the little things!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

What is the reason they don't have a micro-bus service in Cork ?

These are quite popular in Europe.
    I've used them extensively in the Baltic, it's basically a shared cab and while the fleet isn't pretty, it's extremely frequent and cheap.

And we seem to have the bus lane infrastructure in place to use them effectively.

These large buses aren't suitable for Cork, we just don't have the infrastructure. (or the population, on some routes)

• Advertisement

none of that forward thinking Dannyboy83 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    What is the reason they don't have a micro-bus service in Cork ?

These are quite popular in Europe.
    I've used them extensively in the Baltic, it's basically a shared cab and while the fleet isn't pretty, it's extremely frequent and cheap.

And we seem to have the bus lane infrastructure in place to use them effectively.

These large buses aren't suitable for Cork, we just don't have the infrastructure. (or the population, on some routes)

Interesting, how many fit a micro-bus? I'd have thought they'd have a negative effect; replacing 1 bus with 3/4/5/6 micro-buses on the road would only make things worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Blackie Grey

I was at the junction by johnos in douglas last night-side entrance .I was turning towards dinos I was at top of jubction a number 7 bus was turning toward me heading to barrys the **** ended up in my lane and only for me reversing would have ploughed into me-this **** around 7.15 pm driving number 7 is a gob****e and should be banned from driving buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

who_me wrote: »
    Interesting, how many fit a micro-bus? I'd have thought they'd have a negative effect; replacing 1 bus with 3/4/5/6 micro-buses on the road would only make things worse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshrutka

The ones I'm familiar with, typically have 13-16 seats.
    Usually 4 seats at the back row, then 4x3 or 3x3 divided by a centre aisle, so like this:

*(driver)
    12 3
    12 3
    12 3
    12 3

They're integrated with trolley-buses (urban areas) and buses (inter-city).
    I haven't really seen buses going around suburban areas over there, even tho their roads are much wider than ours.

Ime, they don't make things worse at all, they make things much better because they're so much more manoeuvrable (and so frequent).
    And since they're lower capacity/cost, they can service routes that otherwise wouldn't couldn't justify public transport

Part of the problem with the buses in Cork is that the city wasn't designed with bus use in mind, so they frequently cause traffic jams and block the flow of traffic merely trying to navigate their route, not even mentioning designated stops.

Interesting, thanks. If they're narrower (meaning cars can pass when these micro-buses pull in at stops) I can see a big advantage. I don't know how much easier it would be for smaller buses going around tight bends, along narrow streets. My office has flexi-time, so I rarely travel during the peak-hour traffic and amn't sure how just bad it is when on a bus.

On a related note - a while back I was on a bus from Douglas - city centre, when a woman gets on, and starts asking about when another bus (i.e. another route) was coming along. When he didn't know, she demanded he call the base and find out for her. So, the entire bus, plus all the cars behind who couldn't overtake due to the narrowness of the road (quite a few of them, judging by them banging on the horns!) had to wait for several minutes until he could get in touch with someone to answer that question. How cheeky is that - flagging down a bus you're not taking, stepping on so it can't pull away, and telling the bus driver to phone up the base and forcing everyone on the bus and behind to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

who_me wrote: »
    If it ever were to go ahead (massive IF, obviously) I'd have thought the easiest first phase would be Mahon Point to the city centre (City Hall). You could use the old railway line and then the quay-side, so minimal road disruption apart from the very end near City Hall. Great option for people commuting into the city, and great for people getting to Mahon Point / Douglas. If One Albert Quay kick-starts the docklands development, the Douglas/Mahon/Passage West/Carrigaline traffic would only get worse otherwise.

It'd be a shame to lose that nice quiet walkway, but it's such a great option to have.

There was mutterings about putting a tram to ferry people from the city to Mahon Point via the old railway line when Mahon Point was first buil. However, it faced a big negative response from the people of Blackrock and it was consigned to the dustbin.

Proper order too. That railway line is a superb local asset. It's a little bit of the countryside right in the city and is packed with walkers, joggers and cyclists 7 days of the week. Shopping Centres are 10 a penny. They all have the same shops in them anyway these days. That railway line is unique and should be preserved as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

There was mutterings about putting a tram to ferry people from the city to Mahon Point via the old railway line when Mahon Point was first buil. However, it faced a big negative response from the people of Blackrock and it was consigned to the dustbin.

Proper order too. That railway line is a superb local asset. It's a little bit of the countryside right in the city and is packed with walkers, joggers and cyclists 7 days of the week. Shopping Centres are 10 a penny. They all have the same shops in them anyway these days. That railway line is unique and should be preserved as is.

It's not just about taking people to a shopping centre, there are thousands of people working down in Mahon Point. Simplistic stuff just talking about just the shopping centre.

That railway line is unique and should be preserved as is.

yes, that railway line is unique, so unique it doesn't actually exist anymore.
    But I understand what you're saying, the walkway is a nice asset to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

I've noticed that the for the last week or so, traffic has been very light going from the Elysian Building out to the Kinsale Road roundabout. Since the traffic picked up, traffic would be queuing from the Turners Cross flyover up to the traffic lights. However, for the last week the queue is only about 10 cars deep or so at the traffic lights.

Cannot workout out what's going on.

traffic was very light along the normally busy parts on my commute this morning until I hit the outskirts of Douglas (Kiltegan), 2 mile tailbacks into Douglas! Seriously, how can it very so much from day to day???

I managed to chuck a U-turn and headed up the South Ring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Why's the South Ring being closed overnight for approx. 6 weeks from next week? Electronic signs up, but nada on the council website.

I've very mixed feelings about it. One the one hand, I've done that loop a few times and it's a fantastic asset to have in the city. I love that you can be in the middle of a city and yet still have such blissful quiet.

On the other hand, it's almost the perfect route that you'd want to develop for the city, and you have an unused channel there waiting to be used, with little or no disruption to existing traffic or road-closure required.

- Easy access to city centre from Douglas & beyond (especially if the line stretches across the old causeway to the Douglas side) - getting rid of a lot of traffic through the Douglas bottleneck.
    - The line would travel along the quays, providing access to the (upcoming?) dockland developments from the South of the city and from the city centre.
    - Easy access to Mahon Point, CityGate, the LoughMahon technology park and the Mahon Industrial estate from the city centre.
    - The line would pass right by Pairc Ui Chaoimh, so simple getting there from town or from the South of the city, potentially getting rid of lots of parking problems around the stadium.

Ideally, it could be done as a tram, bicycle & pedestrian way - but no motorised traffic. Having a tram-line there doesn't mean no one else can use it, surely. It's not a TGV we're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Why's the South Ring being closed overnight for approx. 6 weeks from next week? Electronic signs up, but nada on the council website.

To answer my own question, they're resurfacing the eastbound carriageway, from Kinsale Rd to Mahon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

traffic was very light along the normally busy parts on my commute this morning until I hit the outskirts of Douglas (Kiltegan), 2 mile tailbacks into Douglas! Seriously, how can it very so much from day to day???

I managed to chuck a U-turn and headed up the South Ring.

Same here I hit Dunkettle about 8.45 from the Dublin side and didn't even stop!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LCruiserKid

Traffic is way worse in the last 2 months. I travel from the East of the County and have to drive the Dual carriage-way from Midleton to the Tunnel. I leave home just after 7am and the traffic at the tunnel is a joke. Too many slow & ignorant drivers on that dual carriage-way and too many skipping the que etc. Drives me nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I now leave Carrigtwohill at 730 in the morning, I can get to my job in B'town anytime between 750 (rarely) and 810. Leave even 10 minutes later and I'll get caught at the tunnel, the merge from Rochestown, the slowdown at Douglas flyover and usually the Sarsfield roundabout -- I would usually arrive 50 minutes after leaving my house. It does seem completely random though: this morning, I left at 730 and got caught at the tunnel for some reason with plain sailing the rest of the way. Leave at that time next Monday and I could sail through the tunnel, but get snarled up at Douglas.

It used to be the case I could leave at 830 and be more or less guaranteed arriving to work before 9, but it's just been getting earlier and earlier down through the years, and the 'quiet periods' don't seem as quiet as they used to be. I remember when all this were fields, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

corblimey wrote: »
    I now leave Carrigtwohill at 730 in the morning, I can get to my job in B'town anytime between 750 (rarely) and 810. Leave even 10 minutes later and I'll get caught at the tunnel, the merge from Rochestown, the slowdown at Douglas flyover and usually the Sarsfield roundabout -- I would usually arrive 50 minutes after leaving my house. It does seem completely random though: this morning, I left at 730 and got caught at the tunnel for some reason with plain sailing the rest of the way. Leave at that time next Monday and I could sail through the tunnel, but get snarled up at Douglas.

It used to be the case I could leave at 830 and be more or less guaranteed arriving to work before 9, but it's just been getting earlier and earlier down through the years, and the 'quiet periods' don't seem as quiet as they used to be. I remember when all this were fields, of course.

I for the life of me cannot workout why people slow down going over the Douglas flyover. Traffic is constantly backed up going over this in the morning. Are people afraid of it ?

I for the life of me cannot workout why people slow down going over the Douglas flyover. Traffic is constantly backed up going over this in the morning. Are people afraid of it ?

It's people in the driving lanes of the Kinsale Road flyover who try to cut into the off ramp to go to the airport etc. This creates a knock on effect of cars having to slowdown and creates the traffic queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It's people in the driving lanes of the Kinsale Road flyover who try to cut into the off ramp to go to the airport etc. This creates a knock on effect of cars having to slowdown and creates the traffic queues.

A lady overtook me one morning just near the end of the slip for Kinsale and jammed on the brakes to get into her lane. When I blew the horn she gave me the two fingers even though I nearly ran her up the arse..

• Advertisement

Truckermal wrote: »
    A lady overtook me one morning just near the end of the slip for Kinsale and jammed on the brakes to get into her lane. When I blew the horn she gave me the two fingers even though I nearly ran her up the arse..

Yeah it's a continuous problem. People aren't prepared to queue in the off ramp so they try to cut in at the last minute usually forcing their way into the line of traffic with many near misses. Of course there is no enforcement so the behaviour just continues.

Advertisement