Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭sporina

you would have to question anywhere that can do a 3 course meal for €20.

where is the plaza?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

We have been there a few times before and service and food was fantastic it is just this time round. And the food I have to say if fab it is just the service, I would still go in there I was just wondering if there had been changes made.

The Plaza is in Ballincollig just by the cinema, nice cheap and cheerfull place but the Staff again were really nice and friendly but alas no-more

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

F
    MrFrisp wrote: »

Like any other bar..It has busy days,and fairly quiet days.

I used to like going in there,,but I don't go in that often now.

Thomond Bar is €4.60......Another bar I used to like going into.

I can head to My local though and get Heineken for €4.00.

And that's exactly what I do.

How come I'm being charged 5 euro everywhere for pints/ bottles of cider? And I mean everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rebelden

I dont know Eternal, maybe wait for the change. Only joking, but is their establishments in the city centre charging 5 euro's a pint apart form nite clubs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

rebelden wrote: »
    I dont know Eternal, maybe wait for the change. Only joking, but is their establishments in the city centre charging 5 euro's a pint apart form nite clubs?
    Every pub I go into has charged me five euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

5e for a pint? jaysus are the prices after shooting up massively, these are celtic tiger prices.

Last time I was in cork I only paid 3.90 for a pint but that was at the end of last year I think or at the start of this year. Though it would be beamish / guinness i'd be drinking

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Pint bottles of cider are always more expensive , didnt they add a tax to them years ago to stop young lads buying flagons ?

Back on topic though - The Boardwalk maybe ? they do a reasonable lunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Jacobs on the Mall have a pretty decent set menu for 35euro, cant go wrong with the place to be honest, I know its expensive off the set menu but even then i feel its worth it as there is loads of space really good food and nice staff/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

fionny wrote: »
    Jacobs on the Mall have a pretty decent set menu for 35euro, cant go wrong with the place to be honest, I know its expensive off the set menu but even then i feel its worth it as there is loads of space really good food and nice staff/

No wonder there's loads of space €35.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Sorry but 35e for a really good 3 course meal in a really nice highly rated place is worth it in my opinion.

thanks for all the replies..

i think the Pembrook in the imperial would be right up their street,..

think i will take them there..

any opinions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

sporina wrote: »

any opinions?

Yeah that's a lovely hotel, food isn't too bad either - they could probably find something they like on the menu there:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

any opinions?

That was the second place I was going to suggest. My mother in law is a pretty plain eater and loves going there. I think they still do the side dish of vegtables per person too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 stid77

Hi first time poster here.just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a nice restaurant in cork city for sat night.Nothing too plush or fine dining,just nice food,nicely presented and with a nice atmosphere.Money not a problem as long as its nice.Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

stid77 wrote: »
    Hi first time poster here.just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a nice restaurant in cork city for sat night.Nothing too plush or fine dining,just nice food,nicely presented and with a nice atmosphere.Money not a problem as long as its nice.Thanks.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056781779

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056780235

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Another one, not being mean here but there are loadsa threads about all the differant and best restaurants in cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Milly33 wrote: »
    Another one, not being mean here but there are loadsa threads about all the differant and best restaurants in cork

Hence why I just pasted the 2 links above.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 stid77

ok thanks for that.like i said first time on here so all a bit new for me.as it turns out i delved more into this site and found threds on restaurants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Has anyone been to Green's since they changed to a bistro set-up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Has anyone been to Green's since they changed to a bistro set-up?

Had a light lunch there at the weekend. It was very tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

MrFrisp wrote: »
    Hence why I just pasted the 2 links above.. :D

Yep there are tons of threads as I discovered whilst merging yesterday - second of the threads you mention is actually the starting one of this merged thread, but if there are any that people would like to see included in this sticky, drop me a PM with the link and ill be happy to merge it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

I think it is a great idea having 1 thread for restaurants :)

I know people have said in the past that restaurants change all the time and just because they were good last month does not mean they are still good (which is true), however all you need to do is post with something like "Hey restaurant X has got great reviews but has anyone been there recently? Is it still as good as it sounds?" etc etc.

FOOD! MMMMMMM :D

kingtut wrote: »
    I think it is a great idea having 1 thread for restaurants :)

I know people have said in the past that restaurants change all the time and just because they were good last month does not mean they are still good (which is true), however all you need to do is post with something like "Hey restaurant X has got great reviews but has anyone been there recently? Is it still as good as it sounds?" etc etc.

FOOD! MMMMMMM :D

Have to say thanks to Faith on this one - her idea originally & provided a good mix of threads to merge which made my job much easier

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Andip wrote: »
    Have to say thanks to Faith on this one - her idea originally & provided a good mix of threads to merge which made my job much easier

The polite way of saying "Sent abusive PMs until I did it" :pac:

Faith wrote: »
    The polite way of saying "Sent abusive PMs until I did it" :pac:

Jaysus lol you're damned if you do and damned if you don't :-)

Jaysus lol you're damned if you do and damned if you don't :-)

Not at all! You made it sound like I was very lovely about it, when I was actually a bit of a demon pestering you to make this thread :D. I just wanted people to know that you shouldn't be thanking me at all!

Not at all! You made it sound like I was very lovely about it, when I was actually a bit of a demon pestering you to make this thread :D. I just wanted people to know that you shouldn't be thanking me at all!

Haha - this is a restaurant thread, get back on topic or I'll have to infract you lol - oh and thanks again :-)

Fenns quay is well worth a visit, real bistro style & good value

I don't know if it's been merged into this thread, but Oysters in the Clarion is fantastic. Really high calibre dining for fairly reasonable prices.

I don't know if it's been merged into this thread, but Oysters in the Clarion is fantastic. Really high calibre dining for fairly reasonable prices.

That's an interesting one as correct me if I'm wrong but it closed for a while and has been re opened by the old deputy manager of the hotel ? Friends ate there recently and were seriously impressed

• Advertisement

That's an interesting one as correct me if I'm wrong but it closed for a while and has been re opened by the old deputy manager of the hotel ? Friends ate there recently and were seriously impressed

I haven't a clue who's running it now, tbh. It was Augustines but they decided to move on. My mum thought it was the owners of Jacques who took it over, but I don't know one way or another. But we ate there in August and were blown away by the whole experience. They really know fish, and they gave us lovely little small dishes along the way, including an amuse Bouche and a fish mousse with the bread that was to die for.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Dar93ragh

If you've tried it, than you know that warm sweet taste . If you haven't than get yourelf down to KC'S in Douglas Co. Cork. :) 'Indescribable'tumblr_m6uyxfRsVf1r0yzejo1_500.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Moved & merged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

I haven't a clue who's running it now, tbh. It was Augustines but they decided to move on. My mum thought it was the owners of Jacques who took it over, but I don't know one way or another.

Donald Morrissy, the former Deputy General Manager of the Clarion is running it.

I haven't a clue who's running it now, tbh. It was Augustines but they decided to move on. My mum thought it was the owners of Jacques who took it over, but I don't know one way or another. But we ate there in August and were blown away by the whole experience. They really know fish, and they gave us lovely little small dishes along the way, including an amuse Bouche and a fish mousse with the bread that was to die for.

That sounds like a restaurant looking after their customers, next time I'm home ill try it out - thx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

We went to the Tung Sing in Blarney on Saturday without a reservation at 5 and were very lucky to get a table. At 5!!! Never realised it was such a busy spot. There was a queue for tables when we were done and people were being told 40mins+ for takeaways.

Excellent early bird in fairness. Covers just about everything for €19.50 for 2 of starter/main/desert + a beer or a glass of wine.

Recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Not sure if this place was posted but the Italee cafe/restaurant on Oliver Plunkett street is well worth a visit.
    Run by Italians the food is very nice and has very reasonable prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Not sure if this place was posted but the Italee cafe/restaurant on Oliver Plunkett street is well worth a visit.
    Run by Italians the food is very nice and has very reasonable prices.

I actually don't get the fuss about that place - I don't know, maybe it's what I have (usually a panini) but I find it quite bland. My friends like it though. It is reasonable though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I got a selection of bruschetta type things there a couple of weeks ago, they were amazing, loads of different flavour, big enough portion and not very expensive for a decent lunch.

• Advertisement

went to Kethners a few weeks ago - they have a lot of work to do unfortunately..

• Registered Users Posts: 37 NiaBlack

Has anyone ever tried Café Gusto? I'm looking for cheap but nice food and from their facebook it looks alright but has anyone actually tried it?

Myself and my friends, we do a Christmas dinner night in the week between Christmas and New Years. I am left to book it this year.

I contacted 4 places asking them that if I were to make a booking for 25 people would they throw in a free beer/glass of wine for all. Not a single reply from any of them.

Considering last year we left approx €600 behind us at La Dolce Vita (who gave us the above), I think this is pretty short sighted of the restaurants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

gimmick wrote: »
    Myself and my friends, we do a Christmas dinner night in the week between Christmas and New Years. I am left to book it this year.

I contacted 4 places asking them that if I were to make a booking for 25 people would they throw in a free beer/glass of wine for all. Not a single reply from any of them.

Considering last year we left approx €600 behind us at La Dolce Vita (who gave us the above), I think this is pretty short sighted of the restaurants.
    They should even give a free meal to 5 people if you can sit 25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

went to Kethners a few weeks ago - they have a lot of work to do unfortunately..

I was there a couple of months ago. Dreadful. Really standard fare and not even done well.

I like to try new restaurants when they open in the hope I'll find a new gem! Last attempt was Flamenco, that place on North Main Street what used to be Casa Nova. We sat down, looked at the menu and walked out again. The place was dead, the food descriptions were poor and just didn't seem in any way authentic (tapas served with chips?!) and the waiting staff were unfriendly.

I'm looking forward to trying the fish restaurant in the Clarion though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

gimmick wrote: »

I'm shocked at this. About a grand guaranteed dosh at a quiet time of the year (No more Christmas parties, and most people Boracic Lint after Christmas!!) and they don't want to give you a glass of water for free???:eek: In London, they would have your hand off!

Which places did you try?

• Advertisement

Malari wrote: »
    I was there a couple of months ago. Dreadful. Really standard fare and not even done well.

I like to try new restaurants when they open in the hope I'll find a new gem! Last attempt was Flamenco, that place on North Main Street what used to be Casa Nova. We sat down, looked at the menu and walked out again. The place was dead, the food descriptions were poor and just didn't seem in any way authentic (tapas served with chips?!) and the waiting staff were unfriendly.

I'm looking forward to trying the fish restaurant in the Clarion though!

ah that is sad for the new spanish place - why open a new restaurant and not go to any effort?

I am mad to try Oysters too - just looking for an excuse to do so. It would be an expensive affair. And apparently Electric is gonna be exclusively a fish restaurant and and An brog is gonna be something of a mexican offering. Interesting - Thats for the new year.

I'm shocked at this. About a grand guaranteed dosh at a quiet time of the year (No more Christmas parties, and most people Boracic Lint after Christmas!!) and they don't want to give you a glass of water for free???:eek: In London, they would have your hand off!

Which places did you try?

Banna Thai, Bombay Palace and Cafe Mexicana. Dolce Vita have replied this morning.

ah that is sad for the new spanish place - why open a new restaurant and not go to any effort?

I am mad to try Oysters too - just looking for an excuse to do so. It would be an expensive affair. And apparently Electric is gonna be exclusively a fish restaurant and and An brog is gonna be something of a mexican offering. Interesting - Thats for the new year.

Really!? I don't know if that's going to work. You usually have to offer some alternative for those who don't eat fish :D

Malari wrote: »
    Really!? I don't know if that's going to work. You usually have to offer some alternative for those who don't eat fish :D

i guess it works for fishy fishy..

i guess it works for fishy fishy..

Yeah, true, but even they are not exclusively fish. Plus they are pretty renowned and you go into a restaurant called Fishy Fishy you know what to expect! ;)

I love eating fish when I'm out, but I've suggested to a couple of people that we should go to Oysters to try it out and the response is less than enthusiastic :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement