Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

No. The food might be less calorific than before but it's still not less food

If it is less then it is not more. The advice was to eat more. The advice was not to eat more but less calorific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

sm213 wrote: »
    The o e I made today ended up being about 3 days worth :)
    1 cup quinoa
    2cups water
    1/4 tsp clove powder
    Cinamon stick(cinnamon powder is good too not sure how much though)

Pot cinnamon and clove powder in water in pot and boil.
    Add quinoa and turn down heat and simmer for 20 mins or until water is absorbed.
    Take off heat and cover pan with lid and let sit for 10 mins.
    Separate with fork.
    I then added 1/2 pot of the free aldi yoghurt coconut and vanilla flavour which made it creamy and gave lovely flavour. You could use plain yoghurt and vanilla extract if you have it.
    I then topped with thin slices of apple to completely cover it.
    I used a tbsp of maple syrup for 2 syns but it would be just as good without for a syn free breakie.

You could cook with 1/2 water 1/2 milk but I didn't want to work out how much was in a portion out of my hexa.
    Also need it for bacon double cheeseburger later ;)

I've seen somewhere where someone does it like overnight oats and can just be microwaved in morning too. :)

Thank you Sm, I'll definitely give it a try. Trying to think of something to replace the clove powder as I don't like that flavour.. I'll have a think!

Enjoy your burger ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭hairycakes

If it is less then it is not more. The advice was to eat more. The advice was not to eat more but less calorific.

Actually the advice if you want to be pedantic about it is neither. Some foods are considered free foods and you can eat as much as you want of those foods along with an allowance of dairy and bread. Some foods have syn values and you are only allowed a certain amount of syns per days. The free foods happen to be those foods with less calories. The emphasis is on preparing meals from scratch, increasing your veg and fruit intake and using substitutes to creams etc in cooking. You are encouraged to have three meals a day and to eat until full at those meals primarily using free foods to combat cravings. For some people they may need to eat a bigger volume of food (with less calories) to satisfy their hunger. You are not expressly told to eat more or to eat foods with lower calories, you are told to make better choices. Lots of women have made amazing losses by eating a higher volume of food with less calories so it clearly works for them and I don't see why it should be questioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

hairycakes wrote: »
    Lots of women have made amazing losses by eating a higher volume of food with less calories so it clearly works for them and I don't see why it should be questioned.

And men... :cool:

People can question it all they like, but at least understand what it is before doing so.

Correct Dodge, Apologies to all the men also making amazing losses on the plan!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

hairycakes wrote: »
    Actually the advice if you want to be pedantic about it is neither. Some foods are considered free foods and you can eat as much as you want of those foods along with an allowance of dairy and bread. Some foods have syn values and you are only allowed a certain amount of syns per days. The free foods happen to be those foods with less calories. The emphasis is on preparing meals from scratch, increasing your veg and fruit intake and using substitutes to creams etc in cooking. You are encouraged to have three meals a day and to eat until full at those meals primarily using free foods to combat cravings. For some people they may need to eat a bigger volume of food (with less calories) to satisfy their hunger. You are not expressly told to eat more or to eat foods with lower calories, you are told to make better choices. Lots of women have made amazing losses by eating a higher volume of food with less calories so it clearly works for them and I don't see why it should be questioned.

I do want to be pedantic, i would have though that was obvious :p A poster here was advised by another poster to eat more, i said that was bad advice and then people contradicted me. Its a simple as that.

If you'd like to chat about food being "free" we could be here a while though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Find a single study that proves what you are saying. Great that you have lost weight and all, well done etc but saying that eating more cause weight loss is absolute nonsense. The only way you can lose weight is by consuming less calories than you burn. Adding more calories will not cause weight loss, its not possible.

I'm not about to engage in an argument here but I'll make one point: I never said anything about consuming more calories, I talked about eating more food. And it works for me and for many others.

Sorry, i should have cottoned on to that I guess :) In what context was the poster told to eat more? Were they having cravings, not feeling full, tempted to cheat the plan, going over their allowed syns?

Free is just the term used for foods which can be eaten freely without affecting your syn balance for the day. I have heard of people over doing it on fruit which has raised their sugar level but in general people I know keep it pretty balanced between fruit and veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭sm213

m'lady wrote: »
    Thank you Sm, I'll definitely give it a try. Trying to think of something to replace the clove powder as I don't like that flavour.. I'll have a think!

Enjoy your burger ;)

I hate cloves that's why it's such a tiny amount. Original recipe said 1tsp and that was too much. Cinnamon on its own would still be yum with the apple slices.

I think you can add any flavour and fruit to the base though.
    Like could mix strawberry yogurt and fresh fruit on top.
    Some people make with almond milk.
    Definitely do what flavours you like or its pointless I think :)

Thanks I'm sure I will.
    Loving slimming world.
    Only starting and I am changing the way I look at food already :D

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

Would be lovely if longer than a week could go without arguments starting.

Back on plan after a lazy week of not touching a vegetable.

I had coffee and a salted caramel hifi bar this morning. They are my new love, absolutely delicious. And no I do not want to hear about it's full of sugar and crap and really bad for me. I like them, they're a really nice sweet treat and it's essentially instead of a chocolate bar of bag of crisps. It's just by chance that it's also a HexB I don't really do bread so it's handy not to count the syns. But I really like them so if they weren't I probably would eat them every now and again.

Also had an omelette today with peppers, spring onions, feta and cajun chicken. Really not hungry now don't know if I'll bother having dinner.

Another new love is the Heinz fajita beans, so nice and spicy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭deisemum

dee_mc wrote: »
    I'm not about to engage in an argument here but I'll make one point: I never said anything about consuming more calories, I talked about eating more food. And it works for me and for many others.

I'm eating a lot more food now compared to what I used to eat before I started SW. My husband has lost weight without even trying as he's eating the same meals as myself and he thinks it's a great diet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭upinthesky

is guinoa free if used with water or is it a healthy B?

upinthesky wrote: »
    is guinoa free if used with water or is it a healthy B?

It's free with water.
    It's in the book where couscous and pasta etc.
    Page 18 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Massive miscommunications happening here!

How slimming world works is very simple - it automatically puts MOST people at a calorie deficit.

Basically, most people on it eat larger quantities per gram of food, but much fewer calories per gram of food, because they are eating mainly fresh food, as opposed to frozen pizzas and chocolate and crisps.

So technically, you're eating LESS, because you're consuming less calories. Just so happens that the per gram quantity of food is higher.

Slimming world is like any other food plan that works - it's putting you at a calorie deficit. It just doesn't tell you that, because they don't really count calories, they just know that replacing processed food with fresh = deficit.

And then on SP days, you're basically cutting out refined carbs and refined sugar (no white rice, pasta, muller lights, etc). So that tends to leave you at an even bigger calorie deficit for those days.

It's very simple, but is obviously causing confusion with the "more food, less food" thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

If people choose to jump on others for things they post, that isn't a thread that I want to be part of. This is meant to be a support thread for those following SW, it isn't meant to be a thread for those questioning the values that SW follow.

All I know is without finding Slimming World, I would never have achieved the weight loss that I have and for that I am so grateful.

On another note, I am finding that drinking squash as opposed to just having water has made a big difference for me.

sm213 wrote: »
    It's free with water.
    It's in the book where couscous and pasta etc.
    Page 18 :)

Brilliant, add fruit and it's perfect, nice to find a non syn breakfast that doesn't use your healthy extras!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Hi all. I really want to try the overnight quinoa but I'm quite fussy. I don't like porridge so wondering if I will like this. Any recipes I've found are on the paleo type websites and the pictures look awful, really wet, grey and milky or something. I don't like meals that wet or sloppy, should I give it a go? Would love to save my heb for lunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,052 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Monife wrote: »
    Hi all. I really want to try the overnight quinoa but I'm quite fussy. I don't like porridge so wondering if I will like this. Any recipes I've found are on the paleo type websites and the pictures look awful, really wet, grey and milky or something. I don't like meals that wet or sloppy, should I give it a go? Would love to save my heb for lunch.

Like soak it overnight? It'd still be a but crunchy I think which I don't like at all! I soak it all day while I'm at work, cook it in a microwave rice cooker in the evening and leave it overnight to soak up any water and get it extra fluffy - I make up a weeks worth at a time. I love porridge but was having it petty much every day and no other hex b so decided to try quinoa instead a few months ago - i think started the trend here lol :p. I mix it with natural yoghurt and sweetener and sometimes add vanilla/cinnamon and add loads of speed fruit. It's not as heavy and stodgy as porridge...but if you're mixing in yoghurt/fruit it's going to be wet so you probably won't like it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I've stayed on plan 100% all week and will have trained 6 days out of 7............if i'm not weight i'll punch whoever weighs me:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

If you don't like wet or milky food, it may not be for you!

If you want to save your healthy B, why not make something like bacon medallions, eggs and grilled tomatoes or some fried mushrooms (with frylite) for breakfast? :)

I've stayed on plan 100% all week and will have trained 6 days out of 7............if i'm not weight i'll punch whoever weighs me:D

I find when i exercise i don't be down as much as i expected, this is either from lack of water of built up muscle so dont be too disappointed if its not the result you're hoping for!

Quinoa is definitely wet but nicer than porridge as I can't stomach the stuff :)
    But I wouldn't eat it everyday, I get bored quite quickly with food.
    I've been having som thing different most days.

So as I'm a newbie I've been quite good today is day 5. I was really good yesterday, we went to my sister in laws and all she had was chocolate cake, chocolate bars etc full fat milk for tea.
    Just had a black coffee as she had nothing in.
    Then went home and made a delicious free curry :)
    It was a challenge though. She had superquinn sausies too :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

If you don't like wet or milky food, it may not be for you!

If you want to save your healthy B, why not make something like bacon medallions, eggs and grilled tomatoes or some fried mushrooms (with frylite) for breakfast? :)

Thanks. No time during the week to do that but might do it the night before a few days a week and heat it up in work :)

I do the red days a couple of a days a week and that means I can have two healthy B's and I can also have my yogurts/carbs (as long as I weigh them, so I can still have my chips!) - I love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Thanks. No time during the week to do that but might do it the night before a few days a week and heat it up in work :)

Greek yoghurt with fruit is my favourite quick breakfast!

We had out first family holiday this week and I wasn't remotely on plan. Weigh in this week will be interesting...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Vahevala wrote:
    On another note, I am finding that drinking squash as opposed to just having water has made a big difference for me.

Can I ask how you mean? Easier to get the water down you or you feel like it satisfies a sweet craving? I drink a pile of water every day but my other half who is also following the plan isn't too keen

Can I ask how you mean? Easier to get the water down you or you feel like it satisfies a sweet craving? I drink a pile of water every day but my other half who is also following the plan isn't too keen

It helps me to get the water into me, I cant get water in, any other way as I find plain water so tasteless so this encourages me to drink more :)

Vahevala wrote: »
    It helps me to get the water into me, I cant get water in, any other way as I find plain water so tasteless so this encourages me to drink more :)

+1 on this I'm really bad at getting enough liquids otherwise but can get about 4 pints in over course of a day.

upinthesky wrote: »
    I find when i exercise i don't be down as much as i expected, this is either from lack of water of built up muscle so dont be too disappointed if its not the result you're hoping for!

I may get disappointed the whole time then as i'll be training a lot in the coming months.

Weigh in later !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Would love to save my heb for lunch.

I wouldn't usually have my HEB at all! I have an apple and pear for brekkie chopped up and mixed with a random muller light or other free yogurt, and snack on apples. No need for the fibre boost! On weigh day I do get a sandwich in work- they have the Irish Pride Healthy Grain, which you can use one slice of as HEB. It also says it's 4.5 syns- do you think it would be OK to count 6 syns of the bread as HEB, and syn three? It seems a waste for a HEB to be just 4.5!

• Advertisement

Hope its good, let us know how ye get on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Just wondering are there any free membership deals at the moment. Thinking of joining. Thanks.

Blingy wrote: »
    Just wondering are there any free membership deals at the moment. Thinking of joining. Thanks.

I got one posted through the door. Not sure if there's any other way.
    They gave it back to me though.
    Only thing is it has which group is closest you on the back not sure how much that matters.
    I don't mind giving it to you though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eimerom

Hi all, going to follow this thread for support. Joined SW last Wednesday. Feel pretty great so far. Had my first minor craving for chocolate tonight which I am usually completely addicted to. Have plenty of syns left for today but I dare not touch in case it puts me off the wagon. Quit cigs nearly 3 years ago and have piled on the weight ever since. Need to lose about 4 stone now :eek: Checked the weighing scales tonight and I am already 6.5 ibs down, hope it's this and more by weigh in on Wed. Over the moon. I have read quite a bit this week about it and I do feel/hope this is the eating plan for me.

Down 4 yesterday.

Too early to say if i've hit gold with my combination of food in take and exercise but we'll see in the next few weeks !

I'm happy with that overall, 5 days of training and sticking to the plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I feel like I'm making excuses now :D but after maintaining last week, I developed a cold on Thursday or Friday and I'm dosed since; sticking exactly to plan but taking flu tablets so despite drinking gallons of water I still feel like a dried out zombie woman :( being sick sucks and I have a feeling it won't be conducive to weight loss! Ah well!
    (Tee hee I'm such a moan, sorry everyone!)

Had my weigh in last night and lost 1.5 lbs making me 0.5 lb away from my first target! I also got slimmer of the week again which I was delighted with.

Just a question I have and hoping someone might know... When I hit this target ( next week, I hope!) I will want to lower it by a few pounds, but is there a minimum amount I can lower it by? I think I read 7lbs but not sure if I'm only dreaming that?

Hey Dee... Your not a moan, we all get bad days/weeks and you couldn't help it that you were sick! Just go to class as normal and if you do gain/maintain you will shift it this week. It's hard when your sick, I know I go off food and inevitably have a gain, try and keep drinking the water and you could even make a speed soup? When is your weigh in?

Well done everyone :) I am going to be weighing early on Thursday as am going to the Ireland game Thursday evening, I would love 2 lbs off but highly unlikely... so I will be happy with any loss to be honest!

Had my weigh in last night and lost 1.5 lbs making me 0.5 lb away from my first target! I also got slimmer of the week again which I was delighted with.

Just a question I have and hoping someone might know... When I hit this target ( next week, I hope!) I will want to lower it by a few pounds, but is there a minimum amount I can lower it by? I think I read 7lbs but not sure if I'm only dreaming that?

If you reach target, you do have to amend by a minimum of 7lb, otherwise you could just keep changing it and never pay again! If you don't want to go that far, you can maintain 3lb either side of your target weight, so you could get down the extra 3lb and maintain there!:cool:

• Advertisement

mejulie805 wrote: »
    If you reach target, you do have to amend by a minimum of 7lb, otherwise you could just keep changing it and never pay again! If you don't want to go that far, you can maintain 3lb either side of your target weight, so you could get down the extra 3lb and maintain there!:cool:

Thanks mejulie, so I couldn't decide that I want to lose say 4/5 lbs and pay till I get down to there? Raging as I don't think I'll need to lose 7lbs, it could be too much but I'm also not happy where I am right now.. Ah well :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

dee_mc wrote:
    I feel like I'm making excuses now but after maintaining last week, I developed a cold on Thursday or Friday and I'm dosed since; sticking exactly to plan but taking flu tablets so despite drinking gallons of water I still feel like a dried out zombie woman being sick sucks and I have a feeling it won't be conducive to weight loss! Ah well! (Tee hee I'm such a moan, sorry everyone!)

This was me last week, had 1lb on but I figured it would be off again this week so not too bothered. Good luck with your cold, a week later and I'm just getting rid of mine

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭leelee77

Down 4 yesterday.

Too early to say if i've hit gold with my combination of food in take and exercise but we'll see in the next few weeks !

I'm happy with that overall, 5 days of training and sticking to the plan.

That's an amazing loss. Well done you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭leelee77

Two days to go until weigh in and I'm still up on what I was last week. Am hoping I can pull it back over the next two days. Apart from the Thai takaway last Thursday I've stuck to plan. Am definitely not having a takeaway this week. It's not worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭billion dollar baby

Just want to gauge some opinions here. How many of you actually stay for the meetings after weigh in? I've stayed every week but the last few weeks I feel like I'm getting nothing out of it. It feels like the same people saying the same thing every week and I don't feel like it's really helpful.

It's nice for people who need that extra bit of encouragement or maybe people who feel like the plan isn't working for them it might give them a boost. See with me there is an age/gender gap. I'm the only male in the group and its mostly women older than me. They are all lovely people but it's not a social thing for me. I've never said that to anyone before because I wouldn't want people to think it was coming from a mean spirited place. I was so glad to see a thread on Slimming World here on boards because everyone is so anonymous that it's like we're all in the same boat

Thanks mejulie, so I couldn't decide that I want to lose say 4/5 lbs and pay till I get down to there? Raging as I don't think I'll need to lose 7lbs, it could be too much but I'm also not happy where I am right now.. Ah well :(

If you are sure you want to go 4-5lb lower, why not change your target now? I don't think the 7lb restriction applies (could be wrong!). I'm kind of the same- 3lb from my revised target and I'd love to go 4lb further, but I just don't have it in me. I've been struggling with this 3lb for so long all I want to do is maintain! If I get to the 3lb below my target it's close enough!
    Just want to gauge some opinions here. How many of you actually stay for the meetings after weigh in? I've stayed every week but the last few weeks I feel like I'm getting nothing out of it. It feels like the same people saying the same thing every week and I don't feel like it's really helpful.

I think at this stage (11 months in) I only stay 1-2 times monthly. I rarely stay on taster night, I'll get weighed, eat people's food and head off! It used to be a part of my routine but now is getting in the way of activities I've taken up. I'd rarely miss weigh in (I don't own or want to own a scales of my own) but the classes are up to you. I'd stay every so often though- you'll be amazed what you do end up picking up!

Thanks mejulie, I might just do that.. Or maybe just go and increase by 7lbs... Aghhh so hard to know what to do! It's hard when you hit a slump, to get back motivated is difficult.. I haven't hit that yet, but is close!

I stay for the meetings only because I enjoy it and most of the group is similar age to me (30's) and we do have a laugh.. But being honest if I didn't enjoy it or it was full of older or younger people that I had nothing in common with then I wouldn't be staying every week!

I stay for the taster classes but bloody hate them, the effort in cooking something before class is a pain! Speaking of which, does anyone have any SW Christmas themed recipes?!

Good luck with it whatever you do!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mondo123

Hi Ladies and Gents,

Up 2.5 this week which is a disaster for me :( stayed on plan 6 of the 7 days but had a dinner and party on sat which entailed food out of plan and a couple of proseccos \ vodkas (only about 6 altogether) :( ... I'm weary as my weight loss is so slow on average half a pound to 1 pound a week it'll take me at least 3 weeks to get back to where I was, felt like crying last night on the scales!!!

Speed soup was mentioned above... Maybe thats something I could give a try to, assume its just all speed veggies with veg stock? trying really hard to stay motivated as right now I feel like throwing in the towel but this thread is really helpful so thanks all! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Billion dollar baby, I'm the only male that stays to our group. I find I pick up a few things at it but if you're not enjoying it or feel you time is better used elsewhere I wouldn't worry too much about it

Most at our group don't stay so you won't be the only one. It's completely a personal thing but if you're comfortable with SW and getting the losses you want then that's all that really matters

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement