Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien Isolation (PS4/Xbox One)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

It's Amnesia in space, essentially, with Ripley stalked by a lone Xenomorph aboard the station.
    http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/alien_isolation/news/alien_isolation_confirmed_for_late_2014_release_on_ps4_xb1_and_more.html

Just noticed at the end of the trailer it looks like it's coming to PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

I'd only be able to watch someone playing that game I think. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

After countless years of disappointing Aliens games I have no hope for it.

At least that way if it's any good it'll be considered a pleasant surprise :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

there hasnt really been a great Alien game since Alien Breed (Amiga) and Alien 3 (SNES).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

after so many dissapointing "Aliens" games in the past few years
    I have no hope of this being any better
    hopefully it will as I would enjoy a good alien game with scares and jumps in it
    but it has not been pulled off yet :/ all action shooter games, stick it too old school if you ask me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭KilOit

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    after so many dissapointing "Aliens" games in the past few years
    I have no hope of this being any better
    hopefully it will as I would enjoy a good alien game with scares and jumps in it
    but it has not been pulled off yet :/ all action shooter games, stick it too old school if you ask me
    Doesn't seem anything like an action shooter
    check out the gameplay
    http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/01/07/alien-isolation-gameplay-discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

KilOit wrote: »
    Doesn't seem anything like an action shooter
    check out the gameplay
    http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/01/07/alien-isolation-gameplay-discussion

I'd still wait for reviews to come out when ever its released just to be safe
    love survival horror games :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Color me skeptical, but Iv heard it all before. Promising looking aliens game! This time its going to be different! Yeah right. I could have done without Riplys daughter being shoehorned in there as well, was that really necessary?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The aliens franchise is 34 years and it's pretty mad to think that in all that time there have been few games to really do a proper interpretation of the first (and third) films, of the Alien as a lone terror and constant presence. I guess the low-hanging fruit was always straightforward swarm shooters than something a bit more psychological.

This looks hugely promising and definitely in that spirit; 'Amnesia In Space' seems like an appropriate comparison all right. I just hope the promised unscripted moments with the Alien aren't predefined areas, with the rest of the game an on-rails event. The tie-in with Ridley's daughter seems a little needless, but it also has the potential for a good character arc too, so fingers crossed.

Also love the look of the game so far - it definitely has that grimy, lived-in look from the films and 70s/80s blue collar Sci-Fi in general. It actually reminded me of a game also in the works called 'Routine'. It's being developed by an indie studio and is on Steam Greenlight atm; it has that same visual style and even the premise is somewhat the same.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92985806

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

well.... it can't be any worse than colonial marines lol ! If they have it more horror/survival than action/shooter then it could be good. I mean, the setting and background is perfect for this that type of game.

Apparently there will be no weapons ? promising.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,128 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Honestly, this is the sort of Alien game I've wanted them to make for years. It has a lot of potential but the track record for the franchise means I will be approaching it with great caution.

Still, this is the type of route they need to go to recapture the atmosphere and terror of the first film (which I think is by far the best in the series). Make the Alien a genuine threat again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

looks promising.....but will wait for reviews before purchasing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The only way is up :o

8474453232_53f25542f7_o.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

bur wrote: »
    I'd only be able to watch someone playing that game I think. :D

*sigh*....what are gamers these days becoming.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I quite like the look of this approach.

My main concern with Creative Assembly taking the project was their lack of experience at FPS, but they are a crowd who'll take the historical content and lore of Aliens seriously.

With the scope of gameplay made simpler, they can really focus on the atmosphere and experience.

If this fails, I think Sega will have to give up on the franchise altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

looks like the alien game I always wanted!

But if the recent alien games AND the recent release from CA is anything to go by :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

I have to admit, I do like the approach CA are taking with this i.e. atmospheric survival rather than all out action. Whether or not that translates into a good game remains to be scene.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Please, please, please don't pre-order this. No lessons will be learned if people blindly pre-order yet another Aliens game and they deliver the same level of horse sht as the last one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I don't get it.... Survival horror with ghosts/zombies sure why not. Survival horror with an alien that just wants to eat you... not so much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

For a decent Alien title from a first person perspective Alien Resurrection on the PS is pretty good.
    Looks great for the time and plays well, capturing the isolation and vulnerability of the player, alone in the dark with monsters.
    If you pick it up it'll run on your PS3 as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I don't get it.... Survival horror with ghosts/zombies sure why not. Survival horror with an alien that just wants to eat you... not so much.

Well this is the same as survival with zombies but without the ability to properly defend yourself. So you only need one protagonist.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Well this is the same as survival with zombies but without the ability to properly defend yourself. So you only need one protagonist.

Yes but unlike a mindless zombie this is a 'thinking' Alien... Is it just going to spend hours flicking around the sides of your vision giving you a fright then running and giggling to itself or is it just going to eat your undefended self?

Basically, I just can't see Aliens in the survival horror genre.... It clearly works in the films but I don't see how they can translate 1 alien vs 1 player (plus whatever poor redshirted npcs are available) into what I imagine will be a game with quite a few hours of gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yes but unlike a mindless zombie this is a 'thinking' Alien... Is it just going to spend hours flicking around the sides of your vision giving you a fright then running and giggling to itself or is it just going to eat your undefended self?

Basically, I just can't see Aliens in the survival horror genre.... It clearly works in the films but I don't see how they can translate 1 alien vs 1 player (plus whatever poor redshirted npcs are available) into what I imagine will be a game with quite a few hours of gameplay.
    It depends on how they want to do it. I've a sinking feeling it'll be as you describe, with a heap of scripted frights you can spot a mile off and a couple fights to mix things up. But it's possible they go the Amnesia route, forcing you to hide as an Alien prowls about. Or (and this would be my dream, so I assume it won't be happening) they could make it completely open ended like the old Spectrum ZX game I mentioned in the other thread, which is still pretty intense if anyone fancies finding an emulator to play it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

If they're going to make the Alien the death machine they say they are and the player is just going to be an unarmed engineer, then it will either be a direct copy of Amnesia's hide mechanic or its going to be scripted sequences every time you meet the creature. I highly doubt they'll release a game where the player can walk into insta death at any time.

I like the idea of it, they look like they will have the atmosphere of the film, and it could easily be the best Alien adaption to date, but an Amnesia clone or ghost train ride don't really interest me. I'd love to see Colonial Marines done properly personally. This game wont even have a pulse rifle! Sad times!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I'd love the idea of an open world spaceship that you have to try and run around and repair while trying to avoid the alien. things like sneaking and being quiet, creating distractions to lure it away and running like f%$k and locking the door behind you when it spots you. Having it able to pop out of the walls at any moment instead of scripted events would add to the tension but not necessarily to the longevity of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I must be the only person to love crappy movie spin off games!
    God life is great when you're simple like me :D
    Can't wait for this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

humanji wrote: »
    It depends on how they want to do it. I've a sinking feeling it'll be as you describe, with a heap of scripted frights you can spot a mile off and a couple fights to mix things up. But it's possible they go the Amnesia route, forcing you to hide as an Alien prowls about. Or (and this would be my dream, so I assume it won't be happening) they could make it completely open ended like the old Spectrum ZX game I mentioned in the other thread, which is still pretty intense if anyone fancies finding an emulator to play it on.

The developer diary explains this in detail. Once on the spacestation the game is one seemless experience. No loading, chapters, breaks. You'll complete tasks and move onto new ones, but the point is that there is no scripting. The Alien is essentially adapting constantly to your play and style, and there is no scripted events.

From what I gathered you don't experience scripted events. In the gameplay for example an Alien walks by a window casting a shadow and the character kinda of gives out a fightened noise. This isn't scripted, you could play through ten times, and every time nothing happens here by you walking forward. On another occasions the Alien might burst through the window, on another occasions it might be standing there staring at you.

It looks to be totally dynamic, which is being reported as a REAL power of the next-gen consoles, the ability for AI developement has been scary.

Advertisement