Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Blut2 wrote: »
    Ulster to win surprise victory in Twickenham, ROG to declare his wish to play for a team currently capable of winning the Heineken Cup and demand a move North? ....roughly about as likely I'd say.

Don't be surprised, the rumour is doing the rounds

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Steenson or Staunton are the only two likely candidates methinks. I think either would fill the role fine.

Don't be surprised, the rumour is doing the rounds

The rumour is doing the rounds cause people are taking the piss. Its never going to happen.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    The rumour is doing the rounds cause people are taking the piss. Its never going to happen.

It might

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

We would have said the same about Humphries given that he had a season left on his deal but we were all surprised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

One of the rumours is that Gareth Anscombe will come to replace Humphries

We would have said the same about Humphries given that he had a season left on his deal but we were all surprised

No, I wouldn't. I'm surprised he left now alright, but I would have equally been as surprised if he stayed after the end of next season. Clearly Jackson starting the semi was enough to push him overboard.

Its not even within the same order of magnitude of unlikely.

Its more likely that I'd manage to get Eva Green into bed then ROG moving to Ulster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

ongarite wrote: »

Is this a joke in reference to the fact that Ian was David's younger brother, or are they actually thinking of signing the coaches son?

Watch this space

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

ongarite wrote: »

It's a rumour based on the fact his dad will be coach. I doubt there is any substance to it. Anyway is he better than Jackson? I haven't seen anything to suggest he is. He'd hardly come all the way here to be back up either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Brady is retiring, I think but Annett is staying. They need more depth at hooker though with Kyriacou leaving

At 10 you've got 2 12s and a 9 capable of covering. Olding is coming through and he's a top talent.

Squad seems like

McAllister, Court, Fitzpatrick, Afoa, Macklin, McCall
    Best, Annett (!)
    Tuohy, Muller, Stevenson, Barker, Henderson
    Ferris, Henry, Wilson, Diack, Birch, McComb

Pienaar, Marshall, McIlroy
    Jackson, McKinney?, Olding
    Wallace, Marshall, Spence, Farrell, Cave
    Trimble, Gilroy, Bowe, Cochrane
    Payne, D'Arcy, Nelson

To me the only position that lacks cover there is hooker.
    You omitted Calum Black.
    Niall O Connor to return to Ulster to fill the gap vacated by ihumph as backup to Jackson?

You're a very naughty boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The thing about NOC is he's a very popular guy and he's very bright as well. Sure he's not the most talented 10, but if he came up as 3rd choice would it really be a disaster? I wouldn't be devastated if he was just playing B&I Cup and hanging around in case of an injury crisis. Although I'd doubt he'd leave Connacht for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Redsock

The thing about NOC is he's a very popular guy and he's very bright as well. Sure he's not the most talented 10, but if he came up as 3rd choice would it really be a disaster? I wouldn't be devastated if he was just playing B&I Cup and hanging around in case of an injury crisis. Although I'd doubt he'd leave Connacht for that.

I would. There are kids in the academy who are a better option. I live but a stones throw from Niall so it gives me no pleasure to say it, but he should not be allowed within 100 miles of the home dressing room at ravenhill.

He's one of the nicest people you could meet, is a great golfer but isn't cut out for professional rugby. Would he get a start at Leinster, Munster, Leicester etc? No, he wouldn't even get near their academies so he shouldn't get near Ulster either. There are kids in the academy, in schools and in the AIL who are better players. He'd be about 145th in line. :rolleyes:

Redsock wrote: »
    I would. There are kids in the academy who are a better option. I live but a stones throw from Niall so it gives me no pleasure to say it, but he should not be allowed within 100 miles of the home dressing room at ravenhill.

Well, he'll be gracing that dressing room next season

If it's any consolation I'd say you got him on the cheap because he didn't like life in Galway being away from his family and girlfriend

• Advertisement

I'd almost forgotten how utterly miserable the words Niall o'connor and ulster in the same sentence could make me feel. It seems that we are trying to consolidate the success of this season by weakening the squad for next.

There's just not enough left in the squad to be picky at half back. If McKinney and Humphreysnare going they need someone for depth.

There's just not enough left in the squad to be picky at half back. If McKinney and Humphreysnare going they need someone for depth.

God knows I am no fan of ihumph but with the way things are taking shape, our 10 options this year will be streets ahead of next years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

bilston wrote: »
    It's a rumour based on the fact his dad will be coach. I doubt there is any substance to it. Anyway is he better than Jackson? I haven't seen anything to suggest he is. He'd hardly come all the way here to be back up either.

It's rare to see New Zealanders that young moving away from home, I'm sure Anscombe will stay a few years to see if he can make the All Blacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I see Thornley is describing iHumph's contract with LI as "lucrative"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

What about having Jackson, Pieenar and Wallace to cover 10?

I actually think this is a good move for Ulster. Gives Jackson a massive oppertunity at such a young age to be first choice 10 at a big team, and Pieenar might see more action at 10 with Marshall at 9, which is their best half back pairing imo.

Humph is decent pro12 standard, but not top HEC standard, so his move doesn't damage their ambition one bit, but Jackson, who is highly rated and very promising, could become international quality over the next couple of seasons, and have a long career head of him, things that Ian Humphries can't offer.

Just happy that Madigan signed a new 2 year deal at Leinster. ;)

It was rumoured for months. He was a good player in his time.

With Trimble, Gilroy and of course Bowe in the squad he won't be a huge loss.

I'll be delighted to see him out of the 15 jersey...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

It was rumoured for months. He was a good player in his time.

With Trimble, Gilroy and of course Bowe in the squad he won't be a huge loss.

I'll be delighted to see him out of the 15 jersey...

Think this sounds a tad harsh. Agree he was better winger than FB but still a great servant to Ulster who has married a local lass and AFAIK intends staying here. Scored some great tries in his day for the province.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

shuffol wrote: »

Pienaar, Afoa, Payne, Muller, Wilson.....................................NOC. Xist on a bike. Maybe someone has looked under the mattress and found out that all the dosh has gone....or maybe Eric has thrown in a free set of table mats along with Niall.

NOC won't be competing for a HEC slot unless his game comes on miles over the next 8 months. However, he should be okay for a rabo12 backup to jackson and pienaar.

NOC won't be competing for a HEC slot unless his game comes on miles over the next 8 months. However, he should be okay for a rabo12 backup to jackson and pienaar.

B&I starter as well. Important to have a consistent pivot in that team for all the young players to play off. NOC is no world beater but he is B&I standard. Hopefully Olding will push him all the way.

B&I starter as well. Important to have a consistent pivot in that team for all the young players to play off. NOC is no world beater but he is B&I standard. Hopefully Olding will push him all the way.

It is but it is important to NOT have a pivot who is consistently awful. Most if not all AIL 1 / 2 10s are better than NOC.

• Advertisement

jacothelad wrote: »
    It is but it is important to NOT have a pivot who is consistently awful. Most if not all AIL 1 / 2 10s are better than NOC.

Depends on how long the contract is. A 1 year deal for NOC isn't the worst decision, he won't make the HEC 23 bar injuries and in a season the younger 10s at Ulster will be more experienced, physically developed etc.

Bringing NOC back on anything longer than a year would be bizarre, considering they were perfectly happy to let him leave Ulster only 12 months ago.

Maybe.

I'm not a fan of his. Equally though if he was as bad as you say he wouldn't have been picked up by Connacht or Ulster again

You're exaggerating slightly man.

He would be considered a good OH in AIL 1A.

If he is signed in the right way I don't really mind this, ie for big games its Jackson, Pienarr, Wallace and then NOC. He could do a job as squad depth.

shuffol wrote: »

Times this morning said the same thing so looks to be in the bag. Hmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Odd signing from Ulster. I thought they were getting rid of the 'squad fillers', not signing them. Does that mean McKinney is leaving? He looked better than NOC to me.

profitius wrote: »
    Odd signing from Ulster. I thought they were getting rid of the 'squad fillers', not signing them. Does that mean McKinney is leaving? He looked better than NOC to me.

McKinney is reportedly off to Bristol. That might be dependent on their promotion though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Kyriacou off to Cardiff.
    Cardiff Blues can confirm they have signed Ulster hooker Andy Kyriacou ahead of the new season.

Link

McKinney is reportedly off to Bristol. That might be dependent on their promotion though.

Bristol are not going up now, but it mightn't be the worst for him to go the Championship if it means he'll get more gametime. Guys like Copeland and Monahan have shown that the Championship is a good shop window (if you perform) to eventually play top level rugby.

Bristol are not going up now, but it mightn't be the worst for him to go the Championship if it means he'll get more gametime. Guys like Copeland and Monahan have shown that the Championship is a good shop window (if you perform) to play top level rugby.
    Yeah but he could easilly play 10/15 games for Ulster next season if not more.

• Advertisement

Yeah but he could easilly play 10/15 games for Ulster next season if not more.

I'll be disapointed if McKinney's move is confirmed. I was looking forward to him and Jackson being our two 10s in the future. They are contrasting players and while Jackson is better there should still be a role for McKinney. Maybe we might find that NOC is signing a one year deal, McKinney is doing likewise at Bristol to get gametime at a decent level and then all of a sudden come 2013/14 McKinney will come back to Ulster a better player. That's pure speculation on my part but if true would be a decent plan. McKinney is only 21 after all.

bilston wrote: »
    I'll be disapointed if McKinney's move is confirmed. I was looking forward to him and Jackson being our two 10s in the future. They are contrasting players and while Jackson is better there should still be a role for McKinney. Maybe we might find that NOC is signing a one year deal, McKinney is doing likewise at Bristol to get gametime at a decent level and then all of a sudden come 2013/14 McKinney will come back to Ulster a better player. That's pure speculation on my part but if true would be a decent plan. McKinney is only 21 after all.

Rotterham Titans
    http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/irish-recruit-to-bolster-rotherham-titans-1-4547568

Here's a nice article for all us MCB old boys. I still remember the run up to the School's Cup Final in 1968 - which we lost - with real clarity.

Here's a nice article for all us MCB old boys. I still remember the run up to the School's Cup Final in 1968 - which we lost - with real clarity.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0516/1224316192650.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0516/1224316192650.html

Fascinating article. Considering the drop out rate after school from boys giving up the game this is most impressive. Didn't reailse they started training so soon after the Cup final? Does this not interfere with study/exams a bit?

Fascinating article. Considering the drop out rate after school from boys giving up the game this is most impressive. Didn't reailse they started training so soon after the Cup final? Does this not interfere with study/exams a bit?

The academic side of things - as at most rugby schools - is foremost. Even back in the 1960s one of our players was not bothering much apart from the rugby. He was taken aside by the head of sports and simply told that he needed to get back on track before he would get onto the pitch. He did. MCB is a seriously focused academic school first and foremost. The reason why there were very few MCB internationals in previous decades was down to the fact that most guys went to England or Scotland to university at 18 and as you know, most get a decent career / life / woman and never return. Professionalism has changed that a bit.

• Advertisement

The academic side of things - as at most rugby schools - is foremost. Even back in the 1960s one of our players was not bothering much apart from the rugby. He was taken aside by the head of sports and simply told that he needed to get back on track before he would get onto the pitch. He did. MCB is a seriously focused academic school first and foremost. The reason why there were very few MCB internationals in previous decades was down to the fact that most guys went to England or Scotland to university at 18 and as you know, most get a decent career / life / woman and never return. Professionalism has changed that a bit.

Yep as good as Methody have been over the years it's hard to remember them producing as much talent for Ulster as they have done in the last three or four years. I guess that's down to professionalism.

The Methody side with the likes of Macklin, Annett, Carey, Leckey, McIlroy, Jackson, Allen and Gilroy was one hell of a team. I'd say three of them will go on and play for Ireland.

For what it's worth here's a breakdown of where the current Ulster squad went to school. I don't know where Tim Barker went so I've excluded him. it shows there is a ogood mix and the totla number of RBAI players gives lie to myth that country schools get shafted by the Ulster Branch.

MCB - 5
    Wallace - 3
    Campbell - 4
    Ballymena Academy - 2
    Banbridge Academy - 2
    Royal School Armagh - 2
    Royal School Dungannon - 1
    Sullivan Upper School - 1
    Ballyclare High School - 1
    Friends - 1
    Coleraine Academical Institution - 1

Edited the Wallace and Campbell totals as for some reason I thought Mike McComish was an ex Wallace man, think the fact he'd play Cricket for Lisburn is what confused me there.

The amazing thing is there is no one from RBAI, Roger Wilson will change that next season and Ryan Caldwell if he ever comes back will be another but really RBAI should be on a par with Methody or close to it in producing players for Ulster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

danthefan wrote: »
    Seems like it actually had nothing to do with him though. Either way its ridiculously embarrassing and incredibly stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

danthefan wrote: »

That is a potentially huge deal, surely? The worst kind of racist comments coming from his phone is something he needs to explain.

If he can't, then Ulster will surely consider whether those kind of comments are something with which they want to be associated, or whether they should distance themselves by withdrawing their offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

ambid wrote: »
    That is a potentially huge deal, surely? The worst kind of racist comments coming from his phone is something he needs to explain.

If he can't, then Ulster will surely consider whether those kind of comments are something with which they want to be associated, or whether they should distance themselves by withdrawing their offer.

There's an explanation from him in the IT article about it:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0517/1224316238488.html

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement