Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Bryan Singer)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

It’s a teaser trailer, folks. Don’t worry, the full trailer containing the entire plot condensed to 2.5 minutes including the ending will be out closer to release. You can complain about that as well.

Ah now that's not fair.

Some kind of middle ground is all we're asking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Read the comic trade if you want to know the plot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

It is possible that Wolverine isn't actually in it all that much, that they are just emphasising his involvement in the trailer because his last film turned out fairly popular and to attract a more general audience (that otherwise might be reluctant to see a comic book movie based on time travel).

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Read the comic trade if you want to know the plot.

Maybe I don't want to know the plot, maybe I want a middle ground.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It’s a teaser trailer, folks. Don’t worry, the full trailer containing the entire plot condensed to 2.5 minutes including the ending will be out closer to release. You can complain about that as well.

I dunno about anyone else but to be fair, if that trailer's an accurate reflection of events - and that's a huge presumption of course with any trailer, but the plot suggests Jackman'll be a big part of its premise - it's a bit disappointing Wolverine is to be such a central figure. Yet Again.

The first 3 X-Men films suffered from being a bit 'Wolverine plus the X-Men' at times, and First Class was a breath of fresh air given it wasn't rigidly beholden to the apparent lead in this franchise. He has been the enforced central character in 3 main films & two spin-offs, he doesn't really need to be in this one. In fact, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the character
    who time travels in the comics not even Wolverine anyway? The change then can only be for tired, financial reasons
    The equivalent here would be if Tony Stark was inserted into every spin-off Avengers film as a major figure; it's not a bad thing as such, but it's pretty creatively bankrupt at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Nice attempt at being a smartarse but if you read the majority of the posts most people have an issue with the direction and style shown in the trailer not the lack of plot giveaways.

I was never a big fan of the original films but loved First Class this seems to be heading away from that and back towards the former three which is were I think most people are taking issue.

First class was a different take on the now saturated superhero genre and was a breath of fresh air and felt somewhat original going by that trailer it could be a return to old stomping grounds.

A trailer doesn't have to reveal the plot but it does need to sell the film to it's audience something that trailer has failed to do for a lot of would be viewers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,235 ✭✭✭✭Penn

pixelburp wrote: »
    In fact, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the character
    who time travels in the comics not even Wolverine anyway? The change then can only be for tired, financial reasons
    The character in the comics is Kitty Pryde (played by Ellen Page in XMen 3 and presumably here). However, it's impossible for her to be the character which does it in the film because going by the timeline they've established, she wasn't alive at the time (as the passage of time in comics is different, hence why characters rarely get older even after 50 years). So they had to choose a different character anyway for storyline reasons. Choosing Wolverine makes the most sense storyline-wise too because of how he ages slower than everyone else. They couldn't pick people like Storm or Colossus etc because they would only have been children at the time (we saw a glimpse of Storm in First Class when Xavier was using Cerebro, and she was only maybe 8 years old).

Wolverine makes the most sense not just commercially, but also in terms of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

I wonder is there any chance that the attempt to fix the time line will fail and the ending of the movie will lead directly into "Age of Apocalypse" :O

There was a shot of a mutant in the trailer that was only used in the Age of Apocalypse story line. And that comic story line is from the 90's, probably the best large event of the 90's. It would have allot of 25-35 yr old fans.

Long long shot, but I would love it. Feck the haters, I cant wait. In Singer I trust.
    If anyone is looking for me I will be cryogenically frozen until May 2014 :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Having not read the comics but watched the animated series I thought it was gonna be
    Bishop
    that was gonna be sent back but that wouldn't work obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Trailer out.

The tone is a bit depressing.

EDIT:darn, seems you beat me to the punch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Based solely on the trailer, it does look like another heavily Wolverine-centric movie, which is a little unfortunate given wide range of talent available in the movie.
    But one thing that can always be relied on - Patrick Stewart! I know it's a trailer, but every line he delivers has a sincerity & sense of importance, while also remaining calm & collected. His delivery is superb, always.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,729 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

But one thing that can always be relied on - Patrick Stewart! I know it's a trailer, but every line he delivers has a sincerity & sense of importance, while also remaining calm & collected. His delivery is superb, always.

This feels appropriate:

patrick-stewart-lobster.jpg

I hope the script gives him a quadruple take opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I wonder is there any chance that the attempt to fix the time line will fail and the ending of the movie will lead directly into "Age of Apocalypse" :O

There was a shot of a mutant in the trailer that was only used in the Age of Apocalypse story line. And that comic story line is from the 90's, probably the best large event of the 90's. It would have allot of 25-35 yr old fans.

Long long shot, but I would love it. Feck the haters, I cant wait. In Singer I trust.
    If anyone is looking for me I will be cryogenically frozen until May 2014 :D

She was used in the comics before the AOA storyline, and going by interviews it is the original comic version of Blink (from the 616 marvelverse) that inspired the version in the film rather than the AOA version that came along later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

First bit of viral marketing, which is pretty damn cool.

http://www.thebentbullet.com/#!/home

They really did some extensive storytelling for just this viral bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Corholio wrote: »

I think I prefer to watch that movie based on that than Days Of The Future Past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Very cool

Very good viral on this movie I have to say.
    Caught the trailer in the cinema at the weekend and it definitely carries its intensity better on the big screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Singer has allegedly announced "X-men: Apocalypse" for 2016 on twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Now I'd pay to see that. I hope Archangel is in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

do-able too now thanks to the premise of this film

i.e ya monkey about with time tryin to stop this future and ya end up with the apocalypse one as an unintended consequence.

• Advertisement

Is this going to be the actual apocalypse or El Sabah Nur (Apocalypse)? Would be amazing if it were the latter - he was such a bad ass in the animated series.

Guessing the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Age of Apocalypse movie then

This pleases me

It'd be really interesting to see who they get to voice the character! It'd have to be someone with a deep and powerful voice.

It'd be really interesting to see who they get to voice the character! It'd have to be someone with a deep and powerful voice.

Laurence Fishburn was the name that sprang to mind when I saw the news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Go old school, James Earl Jones

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Brian Blessed is the obvious choice for me.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Brian Blessed is the obvious choice for me.

Nuh uh, they should get Stephen Fry doing his impersonation of Brian Blessed!
    Laurence Fishburn was the name that sprang to mind when I saw the news.

Oh exactly the same here. I was actually coming here to post exactly that. I know it probably wouldn't happen, but I'd love to see Lance Reddick, of Fringe and Oz fame, doing it. For me, he proved in Tron: Uprising that he had a great talent for voice acting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Christopher Judge from Star Gate SG1, he has the Jawline.
    283833.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭brevity

Think Christopher Lee could give it a good go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Rogue (Anna Paquin) has been cut from the film completely. A whole rescue scene involving her has been ended up on the editing floor and it was her only scene in the film.

I was so annoyed they reduced Rogue from being a boxom red head in the X-Men animated series to a whiny teenager in the movies. Ho-hum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Interesting, as I'm sure she featured in the trailer (which I guess was the escape plan in question). It's also reported that the scene will feature in the eventual home release. If nothing else it sounds like Singer's being pragmatic about the edit for the film, so hopefully it won't be as bloated as it threatened to be...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Rogue (Anna Paquin) has been cut from the film completely. A whole rescue scene involving her has been ended up on the editing floor and it was her only scene in the film.

Source?

A source.

• Advertisement

Seems inevitable with the amount of charcters they were squeezing in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I was so annoyed they reduced Rogue from being a boxom red head in the X-Men animated series to a whiny teenager in the movies. Ho-hum.

Her accent was so sexy in that iirc. Rogue was just a hugely annoying teen in the movies though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Empire are currently revealing some character shots/covers for the magazine today. Most are good, but this one...

quicksilver-x-men-days-of-future-past.jpg

What the actual f*ck? Can you say 'cheap'?

Cringeworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

He looks awful, but it does scream Bryan Singer. It's the hair more than anything else which stands out. I would love to know who is doing the costume design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

He looks like the type of guy that'd sleep with his sister... oh...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The new Toad looks pretty **** as well. Chances are, though. that characters like Quicksilver and Road are going to be onscreen for max ten minutes

It's good to see that after the travesties that were the X-Men:First Class promotional images & posters, they've tightened up the artworking and ... oh ... no wait, no. They're as terrible as before. Perhaps more so. Who the hell is Fox hiring to do the marketing this film?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I've just looked at the picture again, he's not even wearing runners!!

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

Is rogue in it or not ?

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/check-out-empires-new-x-men-days-of-future-past-covers

I read they took her out of it and deleted her scenes but then they do this and put her on the front of a mag.

is it all a ruse ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

"They" didn't put her on a mag. Empire did. She is meant to have had one scene which is allegedly cut. I guess we will have to wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Looks like a Harry Potter extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

have to be honest.

im really looking foward to seeing the sentinels in action. i like the look of what i presume is nimrod.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,887 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I like the look of it anyway.

Sentinel-281x500.jpg

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I like the sentinels design but he costumes are awful imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement