Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭Torlac

anyone at the game against Donegal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,040 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Good performance from the lads but it was against a Donegal team that started with only one starter from last years team. McKiernan was very good at midfield and Givney wasnt bad either. A strong midfield should give us a platform to build on going into the league. We will struggle to get out of Div 3 but another win on Wednesday should give the lads some confidence.

Backs were very good in the second half, some strong tackling and won a few turnovers which we were not doing last year. Podge had a good game, picked up plenty of ball in the half back line (although he didnt really have to mark his man as he was dropping back) and Waters looked better when out the field. Full back line wont be good enough for league, nevermind championship.

Forwards were decent but worrying that we notched up another 14 wides yesterday. We missed four scorable chances in a row early in the second half before the penalty came. Lots of work from Niall Smith and Stephen Jordan as wing forwards. Keating, who will be very important to us this year, worked hard also. Ray Galligan played well, great catch before winning the penalty, hopefully he will show some consistancy but we could do with him on the pitch either way because having a long range free taker is a big advantage. Nice cameo from McKeever who looked in good shape when he came on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Good performance from the lads but it was against a Donegal team that started with only one starter from last years team. McKiernan was very good at midfield and Givney wasnt bad either. A strong midfield should give us a platform to build on going into the league. We will struggle to get out of Div 3 but another win on Wednesday should give the lads some confidence.

Backs were very good in the second half, some strong tackling and won a few turnovers which we were not doing last year. Podge had a good game, picked up plenty of ball in the half back line (although he didnt really have to mark his man as he was dropping back) and Waters looked better when out the field. Full back line wont be good enough for league, nevermind championship.

Forwards were decent but worrying that we notched up another 14 wides yesterday. We missed four scorable chances in a row early in the second half before the penalty came. Lots of work from Niall Smith and Stephen Jordan as wing forwards. Keating, who will be very important to us this year, worked hard also. Ray Galligan played well, great catch before winning the penalty, hopefully he will show some consistancy but we could do with him on the pitch either way because having a long range free taker is a big advantage. Nice cameo from McKeever who looked in good shape when he came on.

I have to say one good point that was made to me since the game. Donegal started with very few of their regular team but they did use the blanket 13 man defence in the second half. To be honest, when playing against that sort of tactic, its more against the tactics you are playing than against the team and Cavan performed well.

Good to see a few lads fit to kick scores from out the pitch. 1-14 is a high score against Donegal and I have to say it was good to attend a Cavan match where every time a forward got the ball they were looking to pass to Johnston.

I'd prefer the lads kick wides than get the ball into the forward line and mess about with it until they lose it. Its also better to put it wide than into the opposing 'keepers hands.

All in all, pleased so far but I don't rate the McKenna Cup much. After all, we got to last year's final and look how the season went after that. Morale looks good though and we'll see how the team are really shaping up come the League. Wexford away is a very tough start.

Another win last night. Was anyone at the game? The starting team looked more experimental than the team in the two previous matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Dixon1983

So i've been reading this board for years, but have never posted.

Well here's my two cents on this scenario....

Some of the posters here who are taking about going back to the club and playing well and getting called back into the panel are a little naive.

Not If Sean Johnston scored 3 -15 a game all year long would Val be calling him back into the panel. That is the reality of the situation. So when Anglocelt says Sean has effectively ruled himself off the panel he's wrong. Sean was effectively ruled off the panel by Val & Terry for this year and FOR FUTURE YEARS. Its Just that with his appeal on his transfer getting quashed and reporters getting wind of the story (Croke park leaks like the titanic), Sean got asked a few questions and i guess he decided that nows the time to let everybody know that he's not on the panel, nor will be on the panel. (and thats how it works, a reporter rings you up when you're driving your car, or visiting your sick grandad, or down the supermarket, or out on the pitch training some young lads, and asks you question after question after question, then uses about a third of what you say to form a story.)

So after yesterdays interview guys can stop going on about "If and when" he gets called back in the spring. Not going to happen. Was NEVER going to happen. He could be playing like an all star in the morning but its going against what Val and Terry are trying to do. They're entitled to their opinions. they can tell him he's not going to play for cavan again, thats their pejorative. I guess Sean has done with that interview for Val and Terry what they didn't have the balls to do themselves.. Remember the Declan woods story about "how could anyone be dropped from the panel when there is no panel..." complete propaganda from the county management team. Lets say nothing and Johnston will make the first move. He fell for the trick in my opinion.

Now, he can either decide at 27 years of age, and after having surgery on his groin, ankle, and elbow in the last 4 years, and after finally shaking off those injuries, that he is no longer up to intercounty football, he can accept Val and terrys decision to end his intercounty career.
    And thats what Val is doing, ending his Intercounty career. When Val goes, Terry will look for the reigns and probably take over, and he is as complicit in all of this, anyone thinking that there is any great difference in the management structure now that terry is a selector and not co-manager is mistaken, its still the same starsky and hutch one two of last year.

If McGeeney called any of you in the morning and asked would you join his panel, after Val telling you to F*** **F what would you do?

I say fair play to Johnston. Cavan told him playing Intercounty football wasn't an option anymore, and McGeeney said, well actually Sean, it is!!! (Mcgeeney being a man who transferred club himself realises life goes on afterwards. Will he be remembered forever as the man who captained Armagh to an All Ireland, or the man who left Mullaghbawn after winning an ulster club title.)

Seans problem is he probably doesn't help himself from a PR perspective. The interview in the independent makes him seem like he doesn't care about Cavan football. anyone who knows sean, and i'm sure there are people reading this board who do, know that this is simply not true. If Val and Terry hadn't dropped him then he'd be in there training with the rest of the cavan panel, training as hard as the rest of them. For god sake, he seems to wind some guys up on here that he gets vilified for not caring, for kissing his jersey after a point, for not singing the national anthem with gusto. He just annoys some guys no matter what. whatever, life is too short.

Val had a crap set up last year. u21s that joined the panel couldn't wait to get the hell away from it. the way some people go on they seem to make out like this was all Seans fault! Longford were up by 14 points in the championship at one stage. NOT CORK, or KERRY, or DUBLIN, but LONGFORD. Lets blame the corner forward surrounded by 10 defenders for that one too.
    Lets look at the Johnston was a negative influence argument. I actually believe he probably was. I believe he was pissed off like hell! And i believe seannie is not the type of character who can hide his displeasure. If you were putting in the hours these guys were putting in, and had been putting in for the last number of years, and seeing standards dropping all the time from consecutive Management teams i'd say a fair few of you would feel a little cantankerous too.
    Val knew he had messed up so he's gone around trying to fix the situation this year. He seems to have a good set up. Morrisson should be useful! The S&C boys are the same guys behind dublin hurlers. However Val had a problem, A big problem, and one of his own making. Unless your senior players buy into what you're doing you're wasting your time. Val made his impression last year on a group of lads... knew they had judged him and decided to get rid of them. Its classic 101 management. Like everything Val knows, he probably read it in a book!

(Side Note: He'd want to have a good read of Kevin Cassidys autobiography because jim McGuinness hasn't wrote a book!)

What pisses me off is that some people write here about how lads don't work hard etc etc so thats why they got the boot, "I'd rather we had a group of lads committed to the jersey willing to work hard for each other" As if Dermot Sheridan, Martin Cahill, Eoin McGuigan, Alan Clarke, Micheal Lyng & Sean Johnston didn't work hard, all gone since March of last year!!!! Most of you probably know one if not two of these guys.

Are they ALL Primadonnas?

Maybe Cavan will do something this year. Wouldn't it be great if they did. At the end of the day we're all Cavan people here on this board.

Maybe Val has called it correctly, maybe he has done the right thing. Time will tell.

But people jumping to conclusions, saying Johnston says he only got a 10 second phone call, he hasn't said the reason why he was dropped, it mustn't reflect well on him....

Let me tell you this, the reason these guys were dropped doesn't reflect well on management. Thats why you have the "we're going with something new" line being pushed, because its easier than explaining the mistakes they made last year.
    Even is Johnston didn't play that well last year, No one played better!
    Lyng WAS told he was too old by management. Michael Brennan who is 33 years of age is on the panel. Micheal Lyng is still only26.

Thats it in a nutshell

• Registered Users Posts: 31 GERRYMAC65

Still not sure about Seannie,or one or two others,the Kildare move is pie in the sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Dixon1983

GERRYMAC65 wrote: »
    Still not sure about Seannie,or one or two others,the Kildare move is pie in the sky.

Kildare posters are saying its in the bag but im not so sure he will leave the gaels that easy especially as he working in the town.

Dixon1983 wrote: »
    So i've been reading this board for years, but have never posted.

Well here's my two cents on this scenario....

Some of the posters here who are taking about going back to the club and playing well and getting called back into the panel are a little naive.

Not If Sean Johnston scored 3 -15 a game all year long would Val be calling him back into the panel. That is the reality of the situation. So when Anglocelt says Sean has effectively ruled himself off the panel he's wrong. Sean was effectively ruled off the panel by Val & Terry for this year and FOR FUTURE YEARS. Its Just that with his appeal on his transfer getting quashed and reporters getting wind of the story (Croke park leaks like the titanic), Sean got asked a few questions and i guess he decided that nows the time to let everybody know that he's not on the panel, nor will be on the panel. (and thats how it works, a reporter rings you up when you're driving your car, or visiting your sick grandad, or down the supermarket, or out on the pitch training some young lads, and asks you question after question after question, then uses about a third of what you say to form a story.)

So after yesterdays interview guys can stop going on about "If and when" he gets called back in the spring. Not going to happen. Was NEVER going to happen. He could be playing like an all star in the morning but its going against what Val and Terry are trying to do. They're entitled to their opinions. they can tell him he's not going to play for cavan again, thats their pejorative. I guess Sean has done with that interview for Val and Terry what they didn't have the balls to do themselves.. Remember the Declan woods story about "how could anyone be dropped from the panel when there is no panel..." complete propaganda from the county management team. Lets say nothing and Johnston will make the first move. He fell for the trick in my opinion.

Now, he can either decide at 27 years of age, and after having surgery on his groin, ankle, and elbow in the last 4 years, and after finally shaking off those injuries, that he is no longer up to intercounty football, he can accept Val and terrys decision to end his intercounty career.
    And thats what Val is doing, ending his Intercounty career. When Val goes, Terry will look for the reigns and probably take over, and he is as complicit in all of this, anyone thinking that there is any great difference in the management structure now that terry is a selector and not co-manager is mistaken, its still the same starsky and hutch one two of last year.

If McGeeney called any of you in the morning and asked would you join his panel, after Val telling you to F*** **F what would you do?

I say fair play to Johnston. Cavan told him playing Intercounty football wasn't an option anymore, and McGeeney said, well actually Sean, it is!!! (Mcgeeney being a man who transferred club himself realises life goes on afterwards. Will he be remembered forever as the man who captained Armagh to an All Ireland, or the man who left Mullaghbawn after winning an ulster club title.)

Seans problem is he probably doesn't help himself from a PR perspective. The interview in the independent makes him seem like he doesn't care about Cavan football. anyone who knows sean, and i'm sure there are people reading this board who do, know that this is simply not true. If Val and Terry hadn't dropped him then he'd be in there training with the rest of the cavan panel, training as hard as the rest of them. For god sake, he seems to wind some guys up on here that he gets vilified for not caring, for kissing his jersey after a point, for not singing the national anthem with gusto. He just annoys some guys no matter what. whatever, life is too short.

Val had a crap set up last year. u21s that joined the panel couldn't wait to get the hell away from it. the way some people go on they seem to make out like this was all Seans fault! Longford were up by 14 points in the championship at one stage. NOT CORK, or KERRY, or DUBLIN, but LONGFORD. Lets blame the corner forward surrounded by 10 defenders for that one too.
    Lets look at the Johnston was a negative influence argument. I actually believe he probably was. I believe he was pissed off like hell! And i believe seannie is not the type of character who can hide his displeasure. If you were putting in the hours these guys were putting in, and had been putting in for the last number of years, and seeing standards dropping all the time from consecutive Management teams i'd say a fair few of you would feel a little cantankerous too.
    Val knew he had messed up so he's gone around trying to fix the situation this year. He seems to have a good set up. Morrisson should be useful! The S&C boys are the same guys behind dublin hurlers. However Val had a problem, A big problem, and one of his own making. Unless your senior players buy into what you're doing you're wasting your time. Val made his impression last year on a group of lads... knew they had judged him and decided to get rid of them. Its classic 101 management. Like everything Val knows, he probably read it in a book!

(Side Note: He'd want to have a good read of Kevin Cassidys autobiography because jim McGuinness hasn't wrote a book!)

What pisses me off is that some people write here about how lads don't work hard etc etc so thats why they got the boot, "I'd rather we had a group of lads committed to the jersey willing to work hard for each other" As if Dermot Sheridan, Martin Cahill, Eoin McGuigan, Alan Clarke, Micheal Lyng & Sean Johnston didn't work hard, all gone since March of last year!!!! Most of you probably know one if not two of these guys.

Are they ALL Primadonnas?

Maybe Cavan will do something this year. Wouldn't it be great if they did. At the end of the day we're all Cavan people here on this board.

Maybe Val has called it correctly, maybe he has done the right thing. Time will tell.

But people jumping to conclusions, saying Johnston says he only got a 10 second phone call, he hasn't said the reason why he was dropped, it mustn't reflect well on him....

Let me tell you this, the reason these guys were dropped doesn't reflect well on management. Thats why you have the "we're going with something new" line being pushed, because its easier than explaining the mistakes they made last year.
    Even is Johnston didn't play that well last year, No one played better!
    Lyng WAS told he was too old by management. Michael Brennan who is 33 years of age is on the panel. Micheal Lyng is still only26.

Thats it in a nutshell

I'd disagree re a number of your points.

1. In regard to Johnston not playing well and nobody playing better - there were actually a few players who played well for Cavan in the mess that was last year's championship. Eugene Keating was the stand out performer and was by far Cavan's best forward. Gearoid McKiernan played well in the league in the games he was involved in. Niall McDermott also performed well for both U21s and seniors. James McEnroe was another player who performed well.
    2. You listed a number of players not involved since last March. That is incorrect. Micheal Lyng played in the Championship. Dermot Sheridan and Johnston did also. That would have been after March. In regard to comments about "having a group of lads who work hard for the jersey". I'm not sure if its me who said this. I may have. I'd stand by it however. I saw a list of six lads (not the same as the list you named) who were told they weren't in the Cavan panel back late last year. I know none of the lads personally. However, I can confirm that I did see two of them in pubs in Cavan town after the atrocious Longford performance. One was sitting at the bar in the Black Horse with a group of the U21s surrounding him like he was the 'big fella' and to be honest I could see from there he was a bad influence and I was delighted to see him dropped. The other was sitting in another pub down the town with a big smiley head on him. Now I'm not asking these lads to give their life and soul, they're not professionals but I've a clubmate who played when Cavan lost by 21 points to Tyrone in 2005. He didn't leave the house for anything other than work for a month after it because he was so disgusted. Lads need to care. They should hurt when the team loses.
    3. I don't think anyone is blaming Sean Johnston for the Longford loss. Val and Terry have taken plenty of stick. In fact, I've never seen Johnston blamed by anyone.
    4. I don't think Terry would hold a grudge like you say. Eugene Keating was dropped from the U21s two years ago by Terry but he was in with the senior panel last year because he had trained and worked hard. I think people are correct to say that Seanie should play to the best of his ability and put pressure on the management to select him. Other players have been dropped by management in their county and been in disputes, I can't remember any who actually transferred because of it though. Seanie is setting a precedent by doing that and that's why its getting so much attention.

In all honesty, I've always said I'd prefer if he didn't play in the league anyway. It'll be refreshing to see a Cavan team play where the ball goes into the forwards and they try to kick a score - rather than fannying about, looking to pass it to Seanie and losing it. Cavan's dependence on Seanie Johnston has been a problem for a long time now. Back in the early 2000s, we had a devastating forward line. I remember Pat Spillane praising Cavan at the 2001 Ulster final as one of the only teams in Ireland who had six forwards capable of kicking scores. We need to get back to that and I'm happy to see a forward line of McDermott, Galligan and Keating playing well.

Big game against Wexford this weekend. Alot of pressure on Val and the selectors with the Johnston scenario still hanging over the panel.

The starting 15 is announced on Thursday and it'll be very interesting.

I'm hoping the forwards stay largely the same, particularly the full forward line of McDermott, Keating and Galligan. They've shown in the McKenna Cup that they can do damage.

Another U21 victory at the weekend. The Hastings Cup was won against Longford. Drawn match at the end with 2-8 a piece but Cavan ended up winning 2-14 to 2-10 after extra time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

I think Val and the team will use the Johnston saga as a motivational tool. Really important that Cavan get off to a good start against Wexford especially given that its a young team. A win at the weekend could set us up for a very good league.

Interesting to see that some bookies have Cavan as favourites for relegation - probably to do with the Johnston saga. Might be worth a punt on them to win the division. :)

Tom Joad wrote: »
    I think Val and the team will use the Johnston saga as a motivational tool. Really important that Cavan get off to a good start against Wexford especially given that its a young team. A win at the weekend could set us up for a very good league.

Interesting to see that some bookies have Cavan as favourites for relegation - probably to do with the Johnston saga. Might be worth a punt on them to win the division. :)

Does anyone know if the team for the weekend is out yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

No sign of it yet, supposed to be out today alright.

Give this a spin while you're waiting sure - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056537538

keane2097 wrote: »
    No sign of it yet, supposed to be out today alright.

Give this a spin while you're waiting sure - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056537538

Any sign of a team? I've no Hogan Stand access in work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Lemlin wrote: »

There just waiting for all the players obn the panel to confirm and proove their principal place of residence, the Cavan County Board have suddenly become very morally concious in recent times, fair play to them ;)

Still nothing on Hogan Stand anyway.

• Advertisement

At last, I'm told this is the line up:

James Reilly
    Damien Barkey, Sean McCormack, Ronan Flanagan,
    Dane O'Dowd, Padraic O'Reilly, Barry Waters,
    David Givney, Gearoid McKiernan,
    Niall Smith, Niall McDermott, Stephen Jordan,
    Brendan Fitzpatrick, Eugene Keating, Raymond Galligan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

bring back seanie ......4-09 to much of a score to be conceding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭28064212

cavan4sam wrote: »
    bring back seanie ......4-09 to much of a score to be conceding
    ...you know Seanie is a forward, right?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

einstein u in disguise? , yes i'm well aware of that , a lot of discontent in the camp ?? no room for john mc cutcheon in the line up arguably our best defender past couple of seasons

einstein u in disguise? , yes i'm well aware of that , a lot of discontent in the camp ?? no room for john mc cutcheon in the line up arguably our best defender past couple of seasons

Is McCutcheon injured? He played some of the McKenna Cup games.

• Advertisement

Team for tonight against Longford:

1. James Reilly
    2. Damien Barkey
    3. Oisin Minagh
    4. Ronan Flanagan
    5. Robert Maloney-Derham
    6. Padraic O Reilly
    7. Damien Reilly
    8. David Givney
    9. Gearoid McKiernan
    10. Niall Smith
    11. Niall McDermott
    12. Kevin Meehan
    13. Brendan Fitzpatrick
    14. Eugene Keating
    15. Raymond Galligan

Is McCutcheon injured? He played some of the McKenna Cup games.

john mc cutcheon has left the panel , who is next ???

At least Cavan didnt concede 4 goals against Longford,who arent bad.

At least Cavan didnt concede 4 goals against Longford,who arent bad.

I'd expect to be beating Longford in Breffni to be honest. They're no world beaters.

Still, of the starting 15, 7 were U21s from last year so at youth is coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

I'd expect to be beating Longford in Breffni to be honest. They're no world beaters.

Still, of the starting 15, 7 were U21s from last year so at youth is coming through.

I think this is the only positive at the minute, hopefully the young lads keep developing well !!

Lojak wrote: »
    I think this is the only positive at the minute, hopefully the young lads keep developing well !!

A new system was tested on Saturday evening as well with the half forwards dropping back a good bit so it appears Andrews is still doing tactical work to decide on his best starting 15.

A new system was tested on Saturday evening as well with the half forwards dropping back a good bit so it appears Andrews is still doing tactical work to decide on his best starting 15.

val u are fighting a losing battle here

val u are fighting a losing battle here

Go to the Hogan Stand if you are going to start that sh!te.

I'm not overly happy with Andrews but, as I've explained, multiple times, a good clearout is needed. For too many years, the Cavan panel has been a joke. The last 3 managers have complained about the attitude of the players.

If Andrews does little more than increase motivation and get the panel acting more professionally, he'll have done his job for the next man. Who hopefully will be Terry Hyland.

I'm not happy that a starting 15 hasn't been decided upon to be honest. By now, Val should know his starting 15 and system for the upcoming season. Two different 15s and varying tactics have been tested in both Leagues games and it isn't good enough at this stage. Not when the panel have been training since November.

On a more positive note, the league in Cavan started yesterday. Teams will be taking it more seriously this year with the shake up at the end.

Good wins at the weekend in Division 1 for the Gaels against Kingscourt, Gowna against Redhills, Ballinagh against Ramor, Lavey against Belturbet and Cuchulainns against Killygarry.

Did anyone hear that Val was trying to get Brian Sheridan (brother of Meath player Joe) into the panel and he said no - read this in the indo but article was short on detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Did anyone hear that Val was trying to get Brian Sheridan (brother of Meath player Joe) into the panel and he said no - read this in the indo but article was short on detail.

Has he left the Meath panel, was still on it up to last year IIRC? What's he's connection with Cavan?

• Advertisement

Has he left the Meath panel, was still on it up to last year IIRC? What's he's connection with Cavan?

His father, Damien is from Maghera in Cavan and played for Cavan.

As his father is from Cavan, he'd qualify under the parent rule. Here's hoping Val goes after Barry Cahill from Dublin next!

I hadn't heard it Tom. Couldn't find any reference to it on the internet either when I tried googling it.

Here's an article from the Celt mentioning Joe and Brian's father:

http://www.anglocelt.ie/news/roundup/articles/2010/07/14/3998585-honest-joe--just-doing-what-any-forward-would-says

While the eyes of the sporting public - and beyond - have been fixed on the saga involving the unsavoury denouement to last Sunday's Leinster final between Louth and Meath, few have spared a thought for one of the men at the centre of the controversy, Joe Sheridan, a footballer with strong roots in Cavan.

The Senechalstown man carried the ball across the goal-line in the dying seconds of the final, denying Louth a first Leinster title in 53 years and has been harshly labelled as a 'cheat' in some quarters, a label Sheridan's father Damien, a native of Maghera, took issue with this week."Joe is the most honest player you will see, he has been fouled and taken a lot of abuse over the years and has never reacted to any of it in any shape or form. The ball was loose and he just reacted as any forward would, it was the last play of the match... No forward is going to stop and ask the ref should he play the ball. The word 'cheat' has been mentioned and there is no place for that at all.

"From Joe's point of view, the ball was there, two backs palmed it down to him and he grabbed it, he did swing a kick because he didn't know if he was even over the line or not.

"I've been involved in football for 40 years and there are loads of incidents like these. These things happen, every team has to get on with it."

Sheridan pointed out that the incident took place in the fifth minute of injury time when only three minutes of injury time had been signalled. It is thought that referee Martin Sludden played the additional time due to Louth's time wasting in injury time.

"Joe is a laid-back character and it takes a lot to get him annoyed but I'd say deep down it's bothering him a bit," said Damien. "He just plays the game and whether he wins Man of The Match or anything else, once it's over, it's over," he added.

Damien, who was a member of the last Cavan team to win an Ulster minor title in 1974, is a hugely popular figure in his native parish and a respected coach in Meath.

His father Eamon was chairman of the Breffni Minor Board, incidentally, on the year of that great win of 1974.
    He roundly condemned the scenes witnessed at the end of the match, when referee Martin Sludden was jostled and had to be escorted from the field,

"The human condition is to err, nobody is perfect but no human being should have to put up with being accosted or assaulted on the pitch after a match," stated Sheridan, who condemned the alleged assault on Meath legend Sean Boylan and also mentioned an alleged assault on a 75-year-old Meath supporter.

Meath county board met last Monday night and discussed the matter of a replay after calls from Louth officials and manager Peter Fitzpatrick.

It's unfair, argued Sheridan, that Meath are being asked to make a decision in such a tricky case in which they themselves are involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Here's hoping Val goes after Barry Cahill from Dublin next![/url]

Here's hoping he doesn't.Barry is too much of an asset to Dublin to be lost to Cavan.He'll be a regular come the end of the league and start of the championship.

Couldn't find it online but just dug out saturday's indo - its on Page 64 - just says that he was deemed surplus to requirements by Seamus McEnaney and on that basis Val Andrews approached him under the parent rule. However, Sheridan decided to stay with Meath.

Couldn't find it online but just dug out saturday's indo - its on Page 64 - just says that he was deemed surplus to requirements by Seamus McEnaney and on that basis Val Andrews approached him under the parent rule. However, Sheridan decided to stay with Meath.

I'd prefer not to see lads like that brought in anyway to be honest. We have some decent young lads coming through from the minors/U21s so need to keep working with them.

Jack Brady is holding his own for a star studded DCU team in both the O'Byrne and Sigerson competitions so here's hoping he can carry that form on for Cavan.

Good win on Saturday, although Sligo did lose their two first choice midfielders in the first five to ten minutes which meant Gearoid and Givney were dominant at midfield in the first half.

To race into the big lead and almost let them back into it wasn't good though. A last minute save on the line saved the points but I thought the ref should have blown it up by then. That was after the 3 extra minutes.

I was disappointed by management at times. When Sligo were in the ascendancy in the second half, the changes were too slow coming and that's been a common problem.

Alot of supporters have been saying that Val and his selectors are too slow to read the game and make the necessary changes and it definitely appeared like that on Saturday night.

Mark McKeever was a big addition and should stay in the team. The one worrying fact was that Damien Reilly was our third full back in three games now.

Huge result for Cavan given the way the first two league games went. The result was always going to be the most important thing and while things went our way, the first half performance was very good.

It is a bit worrying that the sideline appears to be slow to make changes and this is becoming a bit of a trend from the games I have seen this year.

We did our best to throw the game away at the end but if ever a team needed a win it was this one and hopefully we can push on and get a bit of confidence going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,040 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

McKeever was excellent and McDermott and Bud did well also. Fla cut out a lot of ball, especially in the first half, but wont get that much freedom in other matches. DJ is not the answer at full back and unless Moynagh is put back in there for the Tipp game, it could be four full backs in four games.

The two lads dominated midfield for much of the match Sligo didnt lose both midfielders, one went off with a blood injury (replaced temporarily by Tony Taylor) and shortly after he returned, the other went off (permanently replaced by Taylor). Losing Keating was as big a loss for us.

We got a bit complacent in the second half, Givney and Bud were over confident and took some very poor shots when they should have retained possession. That kind of thing nearly came back to haunt us and we will be punished against better teams.

Martin Dunne scored a few points but I thought he put alot more wide than he scored and I was disappointed that Ray Galligan didn't get a round out in place of him.

I see the Independent and a few papers gave Ronan Flanagan a 6 and low marks but I thought he played well. Theere seemed to be a tactic where the ball was worked out of defence and he followed it down the field, never being more than 15 foot away from it. It seemed to work well.

The wides certainly need to be worked on, as does the full back slot and the management team need to work on identifying changes that are needed promptly.

If one thing does my head in with regard to coverage of the county team, its the Celt. A decent 35 minutes of football and you'd swear from this week's edition that we'll be challenging Kerry and Dublin come July.

Quotes like "best half in years" don't do any of the panel any favours. Let's be honest, we've some decent players coming through, no real world beaters but some decent players who should be able to at least give us a few days out for a few Summers, if the draw is right in the qualifiers.

There's no point building them up as heroes now though. That's been done all too often in the past. We need to be realistic. 3 league games in and we've won one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Paul Brady is playing Meath's Brian Carroll in the All Ireland 40X20 Handball Semi final on Saturday in St.Comans in Roscommon town. Promises to be a good game as Carroll is playing the handball of his life. Brady should win in two games however.

Cavan 4-10
    Tipperary 0-14

Another good win for Cavan yesterday and the first away win in over a year in the league.

The one good thing I'm seeing this year is that we appear to be approaching having a settled first 15 to 20 players. Last year, there were too many changes between games and the starting team never got settled. The panel definitely looks a lot more settled and its great to see that seven of last year's U21s started yesterday.

I wasn't unhappy to see James Reilly dropped either. To me, it appears that he has been living off past glories last year and this year. He was poor against Sligo and Keith Fannin had a good game between the sticks yesterday. Playing an outfield club player in goals works for the All-Ireland champions, so there's no reason it shouldn't work for us!

It's another win on the board which will all help confidence at this stage of the year. It's all baby steps for this team but its another step in the right direction.

Interesting one trying Keith Fannin in goals but is something I would agree with trying in the league - I think it also shows the Andrews is not afraid to try something different especially given that if it went wrong he would have been lambasted. But the way I look at it we need two things above all else from our goalkeeper at the minute:

1. We need someone with a long, accurate kick-out to make the most out of out two midfielders who are showing massive potential.

2. We have a lack of height in the back line and there is no stand out big defender in Cavan football at the minute so we need all the help we can get here and our keeper needs to be coming out and winning the high ball to help the defence out. A keeper who comes out to win ball will also win a fair proportion of sympathy from the referee when it comes to 50-50 frees.

The above is what we need and if it is a traditional out-field player that can do the above I say put him between the sticks.

All in all I am encouraged by what the team and manager are doing to date.

It's another win on the board which will all help confidence at this stage of the year. It's all baby steps for this team but its another step in the right direction.

Interesting one trying Keith Fannin in goals but is something I would agree with trying in the league - I think it also shows the Andrews is not afraid to try something different especially given that if it went wrong he would have been lambasted. But the way I look at it we need two things above all else from our goalkeeper at the minute:

1. We need someone with a long, accurate kick-out to make the most out of out two midfielders who are showing massive potential.

2. We have a lack of height in the back line and there is no stand out big defender in Cavan football at the minute so we need all the help we can get here and our keeper needs to be coming out and winning the high ball to help the defence out. A keeper who comes out to win ball will also win a fair proportion of sympathy from the referee when it comes to 50-50 frees.

The above is what we need and if it is a traditional out-field player that can do the above I say put him between the sticks.

All in all I am encouraged by what the team and manager are doing to date.

I'd have to agree with the above Tom. It's great to see the young players coming through and been given the chance. In previous years, Cavan managers have dispensed with some players and brought in a new panel but this time it really feels like changes are being made for the right reasons and we are moving in the right direction.

Those that chose to walk from the panel I'm not too worried about. If a player leaves a panel because they are asked to play in a different position, then I don't believe they deserve to be in the panel. The same goes for the lads not willing to give the commitment.

The young players are really growing into their roles. One only has to look at Damien Barkey who has been superb this year. Last year, people were saying he was nowhere near an inter county grade footballer.

Big game today against Offaly. A win will almst definitely secure Division 3 football next year:

Allianz Football League Division 3 Team P W D L F A +/- Pts
    1 Longford 4 4 0 0 3-57 3-31 26 8
    2 Wexford 4 3 0 1 6-67 8-40 21 6
    3 Antrim 4 3 0 1 4-45 2-43 8 6
    4 Roscommon 4 3 0 1 4-42 2-40 8 6
    5 Cavan 4 2 0 2 5-44 5-41 3 4
    6 Sligo 4 1 0 3 6-42 2-60 -6 2
    7 Tipperary 4 0 0 4 1-47 7-54 -25 0
    8 Offaly 4 0 0 4 4-27 4-62 -35 0
    Last updated: 14 Mar 2012

the pressure is back on again to stay up a tough run in , hopefully a win from last 2 games will secure div 3 status for another year , wasnt in breffini today but was disappointed with the result

• Advertisement

the pressure is back on again to stay up a tough run in , hopefully a win from last 2 games will secure div 3 status for another year , wasnt in breffini today but was disappointed with the result
    A very disappointing 2nd half,from Cavan in a game they should have won.The Offaly penalty was the turning point,they are a bigger side also,with more experience.Cavan could do with more experience,but sure thats another story,it will be a tough run in.:(

A very disappointing 2nd half,from Cavan in a game they should have won.The Offaly penalty was the turning point,they are a bigger side also,with more experience.Cavan could do with more experience,but sure thats another story,it will be a tough run in.:(

Very disappointed with Sunday's performance. The game was there for the taking and Cavan let it slip. After a solid first half performance, the team did little right in the second half. Some are blaming the loss on Gearoid McKiernan going off injured but surely this team aren't relying on a 22 year old to push them on.

Cavan were 9 points to 5 up at the start of the second half when Martin Dunne had a great chance and tried a fancy chip over the 'keeper to hit the cross bar. Mark McKeever then missed another chance going for goal when it would have been easier to fist it over the bar for a point.

Our full forward line are stuggling. Eugene Keating is a big loss. A full forward three of Bud Fitzpatrick, Martin Dunne and Niall McDermott just doesn't have the physical presence required for me. A big man is needed in there. Ray Cullivan mightn't be the best but just stick him to throw his weight around and win some high ball. Martin Dunne has to go for me. A poor man's Sean Johnston. He was shooting from unbelievable angles on Sunday and he misses twice as much as he scores.

Promotion is now gone and we need to work on guaranteeing our Division 3 statuts. I've no problem with Cavan being in Division 3 (it's the level we are at) but I don't expect to be losing to a very poor Offaly team. They really were dreadful and what's even worse is that Cavan weren't any better.

Still, there's an U21 game against Armagh tomorrow. That's a big match. This is the Armagh team that won the All-Ireland at minor and several of them are now in the senior panel. Hopefully the lads can pull out a victory and lift the county like they did last year.

Firstly, Sunday was a fiasco - there's no other way to put it but at least Andrews put his hands up and admit he got things wrong - he called it "a joke" and hopefully we can move on from this. We do seem to have a problem in closing out games which we need to address. McKiernan injury is a worry as we have little cover at midfield. On the plus side Fannin in goals looks to have been an inspired call.

Not that's Sunday out of the way, tonight the u-21's were fantastic a six point win against the favourites for Ulster was a cracking performance and hopefully the lads can push on and emulate last years side. Just when it was all doom and gloom in Cavan football again the young lads coming through are giving us hope!! :)

Firstly, Sunday was a fiasco - there's no other way to put it but at least Andrews put his hands up and admit he got things wrong - he called it "a joke" and hopefully we can move on from this. We do seem to have a problem in closing out games which we need to address. McKiernan injury is a worry as we have little cover at midfield. On the plus side Fannin in goals looks to have been an inspired call.

Not that's Sunday out of the way, tonight the u-21's were fantastic a six point win against the favourites for Ulster was a cracking performance and hopefully the lads can push on and emulate last years side. Just when it was all doom and gloom in Cavan football again the young lads coming through are giving us hope!! :)

I wasn't all that impressed with some of Fannin's kick outs to be honest Tom. He was unlucky with the penalty though. McKiernan will miss the rest of the league anyway. Hopefully he will be back for the Championshiop. He'll be a big loss against Roscommon and Antrim. At least one win is required to guarantee safety.

I agree re the U21s. A fantastic display. Three players went off injured but its great to see that those who came on were just as good. Armagh were heavily fancied so hopefully this will be the start of another good run for the U21s. I just hope people don't get ahead of themselves now. I'd prefer the U21s were talked down rather than up.

A loss at the weekend to the Rossies means Cavan go into the final game needing a win against Antrim to stay in Division 3.

• Advertisement
Advertisement