Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭dorito92

AlMost all breast fed babies i know including mine have had it too. Mine was under the lights for 24hrs on day 3.Just read an article that it could be a cause of rising levels of autism adhd etc. I don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

dorito92 wrote: »
    AlMost all breast fed babies i know including mine have had it too. Mine was under the lights for 24hrs on day 3.Just read an article that it could be a cause of rising levels of autism adhd etc. I don't know

I doubt it, it's been around ever. I had quite bad jaundice and I'm fiiiine :)

I know I had it too lol just found it shocking

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ditto - and I was formula fed from day 1. It's just one of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

the jaundice or the UV light could be a cause of autism?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

http://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/news/20101011/jaundice-in-newborns-may-be-linked-to-autism#1

This one? Seems wishy-washy. They don't know what the link is, or if there is one for certain. They studied a lot of babies and said that lots of them had jaundice and a fair few were subsequently diagnosed with autism. Presumably spotted earlier because they were part of a paediatric study.

The increase in Autism diagnosis does not mean that there is an increase in Autism. It could just simply be down to an increasing awareness of parents of developmental milestones of their children, and seeking a diagnosis when they see an issue. Plus the fact that mental health issues are massively de stigmatised than they were and discussed more openly than ever. Which is a great thing. Certainly beats the old way of hiding away the 'odd' one in the family and never seeking any kind of therapies for them.

Jaundice can be dangerous if left untreated. Someone in my wider family died at 5 days old because theirs never got treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Thanks for linking the article Neyite. It included every baby born in Denmark between 1994 and 2004, wow.
    There's stuff in that article I never knew about. I'll be a lot more disciplined about giving my baby her vit D supplement in future! I have exposed her to sunlight as well, contrary to the advice given by the HSE.

sorry i didnt link the article, i was linked to it through facebook and had to trawl through to find it again. The one i read was this one, http://insufficientbreastfeedingdangers.blogspot.ie/2015/02/letter-to-doctors-and-parents-about_28.html now i dont know if its credible or just scaremongering

just has me a bit worried,my baby is only 6 months though so still little, i was seeing does any moms here have kids who were bf and jaundiced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I thought jaundice was just after birth so it didn't matter if you were breastfeeding or not?
    My little one was fairly yellow when she was born, she was getting flashed several times a day in the clinic but get levels were normal. They did have me put her bed by the window though.

• Advertisement

my babys started between day 2-3 and was taken to be put under lights for 24hrs on day 3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Happy world breastfeeding week everybody! :) I'm so happy that breastfeeding has gone so well for us.

Just wanted to say to any new mothers that if you're experiencing any difficulties with establishing breastfeeding in the early days or even later on when dealing with mastitis, etc, to seek help straight away from either a breastfeeding counsellor from Ciudiu or La Leche League or a lactation consultant. There's always a way to overcome the problem with the right support.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

And just in case anyone is wondering, you can keep it up as long as you and your child wants to. I'll be feeding a three year old in a few weeks' time. If you'd asked me in those nightmare early blurry days I'd have said we'd be lucky to get to three weeks!

wow lazygal well done, how did you cope with comments about stopping? my babys only 6 months and im asked all the time when im going to stop lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I just let the comments hang really! My mum is the most pass remarkable about it but I tell her she's not breastfeeding him, I am. I do love when someone says something about "weird' extended breastfeeding and I'm like yep I'm a weirdo too. Honestly at this stage I'm past caring.

its my grandmother whos the worst for me lol but shes 80+ and in her 'time' formula was the next best thing

Exactly, lazygal. I will carry on for as long as my little one wants to breastfeed (not far off the 2 year milestone now!)

I just let the comments go over my head too. I just say that breast milk doesn't just go from being this amazing wonder at 6 months / 1 year / whatever. People who can't understand why you'd want to carry on breastfeeding are just showing their unfortunate ignorance really as they just don't have the knowledge about breast milk.

As for the stopping at 6 months, I would ask the person in question "ok, so are YOU going to do all the sterilising, formula prep, etc. then during day AND at night?" You'll find that shuts them up pretty quickly.

Breastfeeding for longer also has huge health benefits for the mother - your risk of breast cancer, ovarian cancer, etc. is greatly reduced the longer you breastfeed for. And there's many more health benefits. People find it hard to criticise then once you give them the hard facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I fed my fourth until he was past 2, and my 5th and last child until he was past 3.
    This was back in the 80's and 90's respectively.
    You may think it surprising, but, nobody bothered me with remarks etc. I think I remember in a few cases explaining that "He still has a little snuggle last thing at night" but really, that's all breastfeeding is, at that stage, anyway: a comforting sucky, not a major source of food. [well, for mine: might be different in a different country, or a famine situation, etc]

In fact, again you might think it odd, but I didn't know anyone who did artificial feeding: all my sisters and close friends nursed their babies. It was before the Internet so I had to get information from books, etc:
    Public health nurses, midwives and doctors were mostly sort of bemused: but I guess it showed that I knew more than them anyway.
    Of course you should feed your baby as much as they want: feed plenty and often. They'll be fine!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

just has me a bit worried,my baby is only 6 months though so still little, i was seeing does any moms here have kids who were bf and jaundiced?

My baby was BF and had a bit of jaundice at birth. I had a section and my milk came in at day 3. The hospital did try to give him formula when he was 48hrs but the little that he took came straight back up. They also FF him twice I think when he was in NICU - one nurse had rang me to come up to feed but another nurse had him fed by the time I'd shuffled up to where he was. I got very upset the second time it happened so they basically festooned his incubator with breastfeeding signs after that. Every other feed was a breast feed.

He is now a strapping 4 year old and has flown through all his developmental checks, and has had the full schedule of vaccinations. I think if he has ASD he would be showing signs of it by now, but his excellent teachers in Montessori tell me that he's flying it in class, he has no sensory issues (apart from not eating his damn vegetables like pretty much every other pre-schooler I'm sure :p) his verbal skills run rings around me, and does not appear to have any difficulty with doing things for himself like zips or fiddly bits of lego etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

ALL of mine had a bit of jaundice shortly after birth.
    It is so common!
    Plenty of feeding helped, also the special UV lights helped, also giving extra water by bottle. I wasn't mad about that because of mouth-action being different for a babe who is only learning to suckle, but the extra fluids do help to flush out the bilirubins.

Nursing, even if only colostrum, keeps up the blood-sugars and helps the baby stay alert and strong, and have energy.

My lot are all bright as buttons, by the way, with degrees and diplomas now.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

My little boy is nearly 5 months and I have decided that once we reach the 6 month mark I am going to stop breastfeeding. If you had told me back in April that I would still be feeding him months later I would have thought you were mad so I'm happy to have reached this stage.

There isn't one major reason why I am stopping, fortunately I haven't suffered from mastitis but it's just an accumulation of a number of things. For example I am so tired of leaking, I wear nursing pads 24/7 yet sometimes, especially in bed, they may slip and I wake up soaked to the skin in milk and bedclothes ruined (while baby is still sleeping happily in his cot!) The few times I have gone out for a couple of hours I am in absolute bits by the time I return home, even if I pop off to the ladies to hand express it's still not the same as feeding him and my breasts are so sore. I've lost count of the number of times I've gotten into bed and said to my husband that it wasn't worth going out if I'm going to be like that as it's so painful.

I know preparing bottles will be a headache but it's not a decision I am taking lightly. I applaud all of you who are still feeding 1 year, 2 years or even 3 years later (wow!).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

hollymartins congrats for getting to 5 month stage. That's an incredible achievement. Applaud yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Breastfeeding 3 week old twins. I got mastitis at 2 weeks and have been on antibiotics since. Still feeding but I have a blocked duct that I cannot unblock. Went back to the doc who prescribed more antibiotics to make sure I don't get sick again and advised that I keep feeding, apply heat and cold and massage it.

Have been doing all of that but this lump is going nowhere! It is quite large, and painful to the touch. Anyone any ideas apart from heat/massage/feed?

If it doesn't clear this week they may look at draining it, which I really want to avoid if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

brokensoul wrote:
    Breastfeeding 3 week old twins. I got mastitis at 2 weeks and have been on antibiotics since. Still feeding but I have a blocked duct that I cannot unblock. Went back to the doc who prescribed more antibiotics to make sure I don't get sick again and advised that I keep feeding, apply heat and cold and massage it.

Have you looked on Kellymom website for advice too? I found massaging in the shower a help and feeding with the baby's nose pointing in the direction of the tender area. I hope you get well soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Well I have learnt the hard way that my 5 week old doesn't like prosecco flavoured milk :(
    Up all night every hour, 5 min feed, fall asleep, awake 50 min later screaming. Very upset and uncomfortable. I only had 2 tiny glasses :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Hollymartins well done on getting so far.I know your not taken your decision lightly but don't give up on a bad day.Youve really done the hard bit the first few months are a killer,well done again.If I had a euro for everytime I said I was given up I'd be rich.I too had leaks everywhere I know exactly how your feeling changing the bed at 3am towels down then again in the morning.But really after 6 months mark everything settles down the leaking the sore boobs it's like your body completely adapts and knows exactly how much milk to produce.Im 10 months feeding my LO and I can't say I'm in love with my breastfeeding journey but it's so much easier after 6 months mark.For me I said no way and I'm putting her on formula after 6 months now that I've given her all the goodness of my milk at least I know what I'm putting into her.Just give yourself a break your doing brilliantly and see how you feel at the 6 months mark :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'd be feeling the same way as hollymartins tbh - my son is 19 weeks and it's been a rough ride almost the entire time. I'm also sick of being told that it gets better a few weeks down the road because I've been told that so many times already and it's still ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Rainbow Kirby when you look back from the start the first few weeks breastfeeding I bet you didn't think you'd get this far?I'm not lecturing anyone you've both done brilliantly it will slot into place I'm not just saying it.Try and stick with it fairplay for even giving it your best shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

brokensoul wrote: »
    Have been doing all of that but this lump is going nowhere! It is quite large, and painful to the touch. Anyone any ideas apart from heat/massage/feed?

Put hot water (as hot as you can stand it) on a breast pad and shove that in your bra where the lump is. Also, changing positions (there's something about chin position to the lump, it will be on Kellymom) will help drain it. Best of luck!

Advertisement