Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to achieve secular schools/educational equality

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Shrap wrote: »
    The State pays a direct capitation grant of €178 per student to each primary school. The State pays the teachers' salaries.

Are you suggesting that Citizen's Information have it wrong? Or that there is merely a more jesuitical way of looking at it?

Edit: Or maybe the teachers should be bringing their pay disputes to the diocese? Have I got that right? :rolleyes:

Yes I'm suggesting that Citizen's Information have it wrong, and no, there isn't a more Jesuitical way of saying that. I don't understand why you're suggesting that teachers should bring their pay disputes to the diocese when they're paid by the DES.

Perhaps you should print out that Citizen's Information page and bring it to the attention of the Supreme Court, they don't seem to be aware of the legal loophole you've just found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    I think you will find that a major problem that non religious/other religion parents have with religious schools is that religion 'infiltrates the school day'.
    It might be; what i said there was no Constitutional reference to 'infiltration'.
    Therefore it is near impossible to exercise our constitutional right to remove our children from religion. They can sit out the part where they do the 'Grow in Love' workbook, but religious indoctrination is not necessarily, and in some cases (Little Kiwis school included) not at all, confined to those sessions. I was told by one of my sons teachers that religion 'infiltrates' the curriculum when I enquired about our options.
    But we don't have a Constitutional right to remove our children from religion? You quoted the provision yourself; ‘ Legislation providing State aid shall not discriminate between schools under the management of different religious denomination, nor be such as to affect prejudicially the right of any child to attend a school receiving public money without attending religious instruction at that school.’. The Supreme Court has already found that the Constitution does not protect a child from being influenced, to some degree, by the religious ethos of the school, as well as that a religious denomination is not obliged to change the general atmosphere of its school merely to accommodate a child of a different religious persuasion who wishes to attend that school. Which in short means a childs right not to attend religious instruction does not extend to a right not to be influenced (or even have their curriculum 'infiltrated') by religion.
    Edit; Actually now I think about it 'infiltrate' was not the exact word that the teacher used on that occasion, it was 'permeate'. Religion permeates the school day. Infiltrate however is a synonym for permeate, since we seem to be focusing the discussion on the usage of words.
    There's no protection from permeation in the Constitution either, though I'd suggest 'permeate' does not carry the connotation of stealth that goes with 'infiltrate'. Perhaps she used the word 'vivify'? The Rules for Schools require that a religious spirit should inform and vivify the whole work of the school, so it might have been that...
    As for indoctrination, I did not at any stage suggest that the constitution uses the word, so I'm not sure what you are getting at here. My use of the word in the post you quoted was entirely in the correct context:
    indoctrinate
    : to teach (someone) to fully accept the ideas, opinions, and beliefs of a particular group and to not consider other ideas, opinions, and beliefs
    You said "so I could realise my constitutional right to remove my child from religious indoctrination with relative ease." There is neither a reference to indoctrination in the Constitution, nor does it offer you a right to remove your child from religious indoctrination (or teaching to fully accept the ideas, opinions, and beliefs of a particular group and to not consider other ideas, opinions, and beliefs). It only offers the right of a child to attend a school receiving public money without attending religious instruction at that school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

lazygal wrote: »
    I thought the Louise O'Keeffe case showed that the state is the employer?
    It showed that the State was vicariously liable as a result of failing to emplace proper protections; it's liability was vicarious rather than direct because it wasn't the employer, but nevertheless had a responsibility to Ms O'Keeffe which it failed to fulfil.

Advertisement