Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This is England '90 in 2015

• 17-11-2014 4:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭

Four part series that will conclude in 2015. Filming has apparently begun.

link.
    This Is England '90 will follow the same group of youths in the North, including Lol (Vicky McClure), Shaun (Thomas Turgoose) and Woody (Joe Gilgun).

The director said: "We will see an enormous transformation in the lives of our cast over these final four stories as Shaun writes his final chapter with the gang he loves."

Piers Wenger, Channel 4 Head of Drama, added: "We might feel like we've grown up with Lol, Woody, Shaun and the gang but what Shane has planned for them in these final four parts will ensure that they are in our hearts forever.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Yep. Great news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I just hope it's as light-hearted as the last couple of iterations.

Seriously though, looking forward to this.
    It's really been a cracking project.

Funny enough, the last series started so light-hearted that I thought it was going to be muck. But it soon took a turn for the darker and the better. Strong stuff. Some unforgettable scenes.

I hope the next one can match it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,610 ✭✭✭eigrod

Great TV, great acting and great music. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭DvB

The final scene in the last one with woody & lol was a truly superb piece of television, I look forward to this (like all of Shane Meadows work) immensely. Delighted its finally gonna happen.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Some very hard to watch scenes alright. Excellent work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

Cannot WAIT for this, been waiting for what seems like a bloody decade for it! The acting is phenomenal!

Hoping for an Autumn release for this, at least those are the rumours. A few short ads are surfacing. Sorry for the bump, can't wait for this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Is it tied to the previous series and movie? Never quite managed to get around to watching any of this previously and hard to find time, worth it?

s.welstead wrote: »
    Is it tied to the previous series and movie? Never quite managed to get around to watching any of this previously and hard to find time, worth it?

Movie and series are all linked, same characters throughout so you need to start with the movie.
    Is it worth it, yes! Amazing show, amazing cast, definitely one to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

yeah, it's really excellent, if not a little hard to watch in parts.

I found some of the series hard to watch, some quite dark episodes as mentioned but definitely worth the watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Added to my ever expanding list of tv :D

Added to my ever expanding list of tv :D

Is it sad that I envy your this is England virginity?! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Looks like the two bullies from the moped gang in '86 have become George Michael fans :pac:

I thought the Flip character (the main bully in '86) was one of the best characters of the whole TV series so far. Glad to see him back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Big fan of the series and was only just wondering the other day if Meadows had gotten the ball rolling on 90 yet. Great news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,284 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Strange thing is for a crowd of ones who are meant to be such rebels, they do like to go with the latest trends to suit the era. :-)

Must rewatch from the movie on. I remember not being a big fan of the film, but enjoyed 86 and 88

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Think the previous 2 series were a little flawed. However it did have some amazing moments

Amazing scene that, even from someone who thinks it is a little overrated.

They made us wait for that confrontation but by jesus it was so powerful once it came.

Gilgun really excelled in 88.

only seen the trailer now because my phone is psychotic, so feckin excited, looks class!!! :D 90's were such a deadly time for music and drugs and acting the bollocks, should be a really good series. id imagine this is the last one though, so sad times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

only seen the trailer now because my phone is psychotic, so feckin excited, looks class!!! :D 90's were such a deadly time for music and drugs and acting the bollocks, should be a really good series. id imagine this is the last one though, so sad times!

Seems like it, though with the door held open just a crack, from this article that was in Sunday's Observer..

Haven't watched any of the movie / series, but the article, and this thread have put them on my list...

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Seems like it, though with the door held open just a crack, from this article that was in Sunday's Observer..

Haven't watched any of the movie / series, but the article, and this thread have put them on my list...

get on it! so jeal, what an amazing series, very difficult to watch at times but christ! you feel like you're there and living it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,219 ✭✭✭✭briany

Will Combo be in it? His journey's been interesting. Even if his character is still in jail, some scenes showing him trudging along that rocky road to redemption would be welcome.

It's a weird dynamic in the series, overall, though.
    Weird age gaps, like Smell seemed about 3 years older than Shawn, which is alright usually but he was 12 when he first got with her, and a young 12 at that. Meggy hung around with the group and he was like mid-40s. Banjo, Combo's scary mate, was present at Milky's savage beating from Combo, did nothing to stop it and is shown to be pally with him later on, or at least part of the same group, and, again, a good bit older than the rest.

Ah the 80s were a simply time, I suppose.

briany wrote: »
    Will Combo be in it? His journey's been interesting. Even if his character is still in jail, some scenes showing him trudging along that rocky road to redemption would be welcome.

christ i hope so, he breaks my heart tbh, his whole story is so sad.
    It's a weird dynamic in the series, overall, though.
    Weird age gaps, like Smell seemed about 3 years older than Shawn, which is alright usually but he was 12 when he first got with her, and a young 12 at that. Meggy hung around with the group and he was like mid-40s. Banjo, Combo's scary mate, was present at Milky's savage beating from Combo, did nothing to stop it and is shown to be pally with him later on, or at least part of the same group, and, again, a good bit older than the rest.

i love that though! and eh
    smell looks like a 25 year old when she's shifting shawn in the shed, so fcuked up! :'D

Looks like Flip (I'm here for the ginge!) has joined the gang. :)

Ruu wrote: »
    Looks like Flip (I'm here for the ginge!) has joined the gang. :)

"I'm gunna count down - from thirteen..."

(Woody & gang) "Thirteen?!! (laughter ensues)"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

briany wrote: »
    Will Combo be in it? His journey's been interesting.

Seems like it, I missed it the first time but watching back the trailer on Youtube, it shows him standing by a window in prison.

His journey has been interesting alright. What I've found about the tv series as opposed to the film is that the tv series has much more of a lighter tone for the most part, a lot of comedic aspects. That's not to say that it's not hugely dark for the majority, but the film was darker at its core if that makes sense. Combo's story will never really cross over into the lighter part of the tv series. So I imagine that whatever role he plays, he'll come in at the end when things have been getting heavier as opposed to being around from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭RastaRed

Starts sun 13 sep 9pm, cannot wait

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

One of the best series on TV in a long time. It brings the viewer on such an emotional rollercoaster.

Cannot wait for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I like the way they have separated the series. The gap between one series and the next really makes it.

KKkitty wrote: »
    I like the way they have separated the series. The gap between one series and the next really makes it.

It ties into the storytelling as well, being that each mini-series is two years hence from the last. It's a bit like a dramatic version of 7 and Up.

Provided the cast remain alive and working, you can go on and on with it as a series. Like a soap, except....good, and never gets to an over-saturation point. I think they'll probably cut it off at '96, though. It would be the height of Britpop, England hosting the Euros - one of the last really great collectively nostalgic times in popular memory, and would serve as a great backdrop to whatever themes the programme wanted to explore. Ideally it would want to do something that ties back to the original film so to end the story of the characters as well.

• Advertisement

I believe I read that 90 will be the last one, at least from Shane Meadows but who knows.

I believe I read that 90 will be the last one, at least from Shane Meadows but who knows.

I think that really depends on how well received the series is. There'll always be the impetus to carry on if there's ratings and critical acclaim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

https://youtu.be/df1Zcec1qBs

The Wiki page tells me Flip and Iggy from the bike gang will be more prominent.
    Wooo!

I watched '86 again over the weekend.

That last scene with Lol and the da and Combo blew me away all over again.

Powerful stuff.

'88 next weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Found this thread last week. Made me realise I'd never seen '88 after loving the movie and '86. That was a nice surprise! Naturally, I went back to '86 because you couldn't do that to yourself! Just finished watching both and it's just incredible TV. Can't wait for the '90 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,031 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Panthro wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/df1Zcec1qBs

The Wiki page tells me Flip and Iggy from the bike gang will be more prominent.
    Wooo!
    GINGE!!

Excellent.. their scene with "Sweet Tits Gemma" in TIE 86 is just comedy gold!

Tonight at 9pm, don't forget. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Would I be totally lost if I started watching this tonight? I've never seen the other shows its founds excellent

I think each series stand in their own well enough but it would help to watch from the beginning, just to get an appreciation of where each character has come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

Combo is an incredible actor. Utterly believable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Lisha wrote:
    Would I be totally lost if I started watching this tonight? I've never seen the other shows its founds excellent

You should be able to get the other seasons 86 and 88 on 4od. They are short seasons like 4 episodes each so you'd catch up easy enough.

Lisha wrote: »
    You should really watch the movie too.. otherwise, the introduction and storyline around
    Combo
    might be a bit confusing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

There was an interview with him in this weeks Tv and Satellite guide, he said he thinks this will be the last one, but that it isn't written in stone.:) On a side note I never realised that the character Shaun Fields was based on him, duh, Shane Meadows/Shaun Fields.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,284 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Movie and a recap were on film4 last night so I recorded them. Currently watching the movie.

Weren't the previous series nightly? I may wait until the last week to start watching the new one

• Advertisement
Advertisement