Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January Transfer Thread - I want! I want! I want!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

That's the thing though. I know he was out of contract and giving out about first team opportunities but that was down to the fact that he wasn't near ready. I haven't seen him for Standard but he's a championship left back at a stretch and a future squad player. He showed a lot of promise up to the past 2 years where he seems to have found it difficult to keep growing. We have a young guy called Blackett who looks and looked far more ready than Zeki did. It seems like somebody promised him something at Spurs.

He also lined out for a Spurs development squad in July so Levy has been up to tricks on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Re Fryers he obviously wanted to come to spurs given all the trouble he's gone through I also can't see Levy leaving him self open to being sued the fee of 6m that United were demanding was a bit extreme though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

6 mil was a lot but the fee the tribunal would have forced spuds to pay would hardly have broke the bank. Typical levy behaviour

Lewis Holtby is also rumouredto be signing a pre-contract with Spurs/Arsenal in the next few days as well and joining up in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Well played Levy, a shrewd businessman.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    This is the reason he has spent just 3m net in the last five years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

A bit confused by that Holtby signing (if it is indeed true and he's going to Spuds). I think he's a more orthodox midfielder than most of what you have but from what I've seen having him, Sigurdsson, Dempsey and Dembele could be a bit tricky to fit in?

Gbear wrote: »
    A bit confused by that Holtby signing (if it is indeed true and he's going to Spuds). I think he's a more orthodox midfielder than most of what you have but from what I've seen having him, Sigurdsson, Dempsey and Dembele could be a bit tricky to fit in?
    I have no idea I don't know anything about him just what I have heard is all.

Although Dembele is injured at the moment and playing through the pain I would hope he's better by the time nextseason comes around.

At the moment for midfield we have(In order of prefrence)
    Sandro
    Dembele
    Parker
    Huddlestone
    Livermore
    Carroll

Then there is Sigurdsson, Bale, Lennon, Bently and Jenas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Mars Bar wrote: »
    He scored 50+ goals when he was playing in Kilkenny in one season!

Saying that, Ethan Mannion did the same here in Galway and was signed by WBA but didn't make it there. Hopefully Maguire can go the full distance.

Wouldn't surprise me. A few lads have scored close to that total going up through the ranks in Kilkenny. My best season included about 4 goals. I gave up on my dreams of playing for United a long time ago though.

More impressively, Joey Mulcahy scored 50 goals for our Junior team last season. That was including the FAI tournaments and the Leinster ones as well. He had a freak of a season. Unbelievable player. He got his move to Wexford United out of it and, iirc, a pair of boots from the manager as part of a bet :pac:.

I've never had much contact with Maguire but, from what my brother says and what I've heard, he seems like a decent chap. Don't think he's the kind to get big headed about his move unlike some other lads who have gone across over the years. Hopefully he stays like that and knuckles down.

Michael Reidy is the only other Kilkenny player to have played in the Premiership, for Sunderland about a decade ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

So Pato has signed for Corinthians in a deal worth 15 million how his career has fallen.

A_tsB94CAAAatX6.jpg:large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

So Pato has signed for Corinthians in a deal worth 15 million how his career has fallen.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A_tsB94CAAAatX6.jpg:large

Why? Brazil has a lot of quality players these days. Not playing in Europe =/= being a failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Why? Brazil has a lot of quality players these days. Not playing in Europe =/= being a failure.

Not neccessarily no but its is a step down from the top European leagues yes, that along with the fact a few seasons ago he was being branded the great hope of Brazillian football and linked with 30 to 40 million moves around Europe so his career has never reached the heights most thought it would ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Not neccessarily no but its is a step down from the top European leagues yes, that along with the fact a few seasons ago he was being branded the great hope of Brazillian football and linked with 30 to 40 million moves around Europe so his career has never reached the heights most thought it would ;).

In fairness, injuries have pretty much ruined his career at Milan. Tim Vickery of the BBC had a good piece (as always its seems) on the move.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20874300

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

He's twenty three and will be playing at home in the eighteen months leading up to the World Cup. This might end up being the best decision he's ever made and he's not too old to come to back to Europe at some stage. One of the few deals that comes along which suits everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

If Wesley sneijder ends up at QPR I will eat my own face. Its doing the rounds on twitter at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭klose

If Wesley sneijder ends up at QPR I will eat my own face. Its doing the rounds on twitter at the moment

Its a massive joke being done by all the football parody accounts and other football related accounts with large follower numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

He is their 2nd choice after missing out of Joe Cole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

He's played less league games in the last two years than I could count on two hands and has had serious injury problems, he needs first team football to get fit and Milan can't rick him anymore, this mvoe gives him s starting XI spot and boosts his chances of getting back into the national team, which is the most important thing to him leading up the the world cup, he also gets 40% of any future transfer, so if he moves on in 18 months after a good world cup back to a top European club for say €20million he is €8million richer before even chashing his singing bonus for the next club.

It was the right move for both Milan and Pato.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,400 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Absolute animal. Not sure there has ever been such a sharp and aggressive individual running a football club. Well played yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Seaneh wrote: »
    He's played less league games in the last two years than I could count on two hands and has had serious injury problems, he needs first team football to get fit and Milan can't rick him anymore, this mvoe gives him s starting XI spot and boosts his chances of getting back into the national team, which is the most important thing to him leading up the the world cup, he also gets 40% of any future transfer, so if he moves on in 18 months after a good world cup back to a top European club for say €20million he is €8million richer before even chashing his singing bonus for the next club.

It was the right move for both Milan and Pato.

Do you think that AC Milan might have put a buy back clause in the contract the way Barca do ?

It would make sense to sell him on the cheap, let him try build up his fitness/form then after the WC buy him back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Don't believe any Sneijder rumours until you hear it from 'arry's car window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Absolute animal. Not sure there has ever been such a sharp and aggressive individual running a football club. Well played yet again.

Levy's done well with Spurs but he's got no midas touch either. Bentley, Palacios, Pavyluchenko and managing to lose £4m on Robbie Keane in less than 6 months are testament to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Speaking of Robbie, wonder if he'll do another loan spell in England this Jan, imagine a few clubs would be definitely interested, Villa again for sure and QPR with the arry link. Giving the fantastic form he's been in, his goals could well help them survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Speaking of Robbie, wonder if he'll do another loan spell in England this Jan, imagine a few clubs would be definitely interested, Villa again for sure and QPR with the arry link. Giving the fantastic form he's been in, his goals could well help them survive.

Hes supposed to be injured as far as I know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

I know someone who works in the airport, see robbie with the misses and asked him if rumours of a loan to QPR was true and he basically laughed it off apparently and said why would he go there.

Praying that Milan sign Drogba, think it would be a good move for him to prolong his career, and definitely good for Milan, his experience to the squad would be invaluable, his work ethic is so contagious too and players can't help but be inspired by him.

Juve may be the more appealing option from a winning stuff point of view (this season anyway) but confident he'd choose Milan despite this, they're both from all account very interested in signing him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Praying that Milan sign Drogba, think it would be a good move for him to prolong his career, and definitely good for Milan, his experience to the squad would be invaluable, his work ethic is so contagious too and players can't help but be inspired by him.

Juve may be the more appealing option from a winning stuff point of view (this season anyway) but confident he'd choose Milan despite this, they're both from all account very interested in signing him

Drogba and work ethic. Is that the same drogba that was at chelsea? Work ethic and that drogba don't mix.

MUSEIST wrote: »

Drogba and work ethic. Is that the same drogba that was at chelsea? Work ethic and that drogba don't mix.

You should prob give up commenting on football.

You should prob give up commenting on football.

What? Drogba is a legend as far as I'm concerned but working hard for the team is not his strong point. He can be quite individualistic on the pitch. Thats just his game.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

What? Drogba is a legend as far as I'm concerned but working hard for the team is not his strong point. He can be quite individualistic on the pitch. Thats just his game.

What???
    Did you ever watch a full Chelsea game?

Melion wrote: »
    What???
    Did you ever watch a full Chelsea game?

LOL, yes. I have probably seen every minute that drogba has played for chelsea including pre season games.

Why does it suprise people that drogba is not a hard worker. He normally does very little for 4 or 5 games and then comes up with some sublime pieces of magic to win a vital game (normally a cup final). That's the magic of the man, he always rises to the big occasion and I love him for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Drogba put his whole reputation and dignity on the line for his team. The way he went down every 2 seconds against Barcelona in the Champs League semis weren't for the laugh, he was giving his team mates a break. Thats just one example of it, he did it tons of times. All this whilst he was being called a diver, a cheat, play actor etc, he did it all for the team to relieve pressure. He is one of the ultimate team players and absolutely fearless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

LOL, yes. Why does it suprise people that drogba is not a hard worker. He normally does very little for 4 or 5 games and then comes up with some sublime pieces of magic to win a vital game (normally a cup final). That's the magic of the man, he always rises to the big occasion.

That's just not true. I'm not a fan of his, but he can never be accused of going hiding.

That's just not true. I'm not a fan of his, but he can never be accused of going hiding.

Where did I say he would go hiding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Why does it suprise people that drogba is not a hard worker.

Because it's just not true, is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Where did I say he would go hiding?

Does very little for 4 or 5 games is what you said. He's a player who contributes every game IMO.

maximoose wrote: »
    Because it's just not true, is it?

Well for me a hard worker is someone who chases down every ball and puts pressure on defenders when they have the ball. That's just not drogbas game so I would never describe him as a relentless team player even though as a chelsea fan I regard him as a legend probably just ahead of zola. I just would not describe his style as hard working, that is all.

cson wrote: »
    Levy's done well with Spurs but he's got no midas touch either. Bentley, Palacios, Pavyluchenko and managing to lose £4m on Robbie Keane in less than 6 months are testament to that.

No-one is perfect. The overall is what counts. As much as I hate to admit it, he's really pushed their playing squad forward over the past few years; striking great deals in the process the vast majority of times. There is a general sense that you can't **** with Spurs over players and he will enforce contracts / extract the highest possible prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

cson wrote: »

Did he not make money on the Keane deals? Sold for £20 million and brought back that January for £12m plus add-ons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Tal Ben Haim has rejoined Harry at QPR

• Advertisement

You've two options. Tick one of them

[ ] trolling

[ ] dim

You've two options. Tick one of them

[ ] trolling

[ ] dim

well I don't agree with you so I must be dim (only possible explanation) :rolleyes: :pac:

I just wonder how someone gets to where Museist is on this issue. How do you watch Drogba and draw such a conclusion? Stumped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

well I don't agree with you so I must be dim (only possible explanation) :rolleyes: :pac:

So when he was defending thats not working? :eek:
    He did his job and more besides, scored winners and played like a No1 striker should, actually taking shots and not immediately passing the ball

So when he was defending thats not working? :eek:
    He did his job and more besides, scored winners and played like a No1 striker should, actually taking shots and not immediately passing the ball

I agree with all of that. I just would not describe him as a workhorse who went chasing down defenders game after game after game. At times he was very individualistic (like the final day of the season when he was more interested in getting the golden boot than ensuring the team won, he admitted after the match that he was wrong to cause a fuss). I don't know how anyone who watches football could describe drogba as one of the hardest workers. (this is not a negative comment btw it's just the style of player he is).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Tottenham have agreed a deal to sign Lewis Holtby on July 1. Highly rated young man. Looks a good signing http://t.co/4LzoQGan @BenSmithBBC 26 minutes ago

Tottenham have agreed a deal to sign Lewis Holtby on July 1. Highly rated young man. Looks a good signing http://t.co/4LzoQGan @BenSmithBBC 26 minutes ago
    I'd imagine Freund had a lot to do with this he used to be his coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Fiorantina have signed Giuseppe Rossi. Hope it works out for him after those two bad injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Ferguson calls for investigation in to the Zeki transfer. Can you imagine if that happened to Levy or a Simon Jordan? World War 3. If it happened to a Peterborough or a Colchester there would be people up in arms.

• Advertisement
Advertisement