Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January Transfer Thread - I want! I want! I want!

1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,479 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Odemwingie on SSN now,trying to fill in that massive hole he dug last night but deeper that hole seems to be getting :)

Dig up, stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

So what club did the best business of the transfer window?
    Newcastle did some excellent business.

Odemwingie has been sent home from training today and told to return next week according to The Times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is Odemwingie one of those players who thought he was signing for a London club?

Who did the best transfer business can only be judged with any honesty in May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Re: Odemwingie....fans are fickle, look at City fans and Tevez.

Newcastle bought lots, who knows what the players actually turn out like.

Does anybody else think theres a link between Joey Barton playing in France and loads of French players leaving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Because Arsenal stood by him for 8 years when he had injury after injury. He got one season injury free and he hotfooted it out of there. That's how.
    Arsenal "stood by" him because he was worth a lot of money to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Cienciano wrote: »
    Arsenal "stood by" him because he was worth a lot of money to them.

Not necessarily if he had kept getting injured every year he wouldn't have been. Arsenal took a punt on him when he had a falling out at Feyenoord and then stuck by him for years until he finally produced over the length of a full season. But anyway, nought can be done at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Feel bad for Odemwingie really, he didn't really do anything disrespectful to West Brom and only said good things about the fans. Made it clear he wanted to leave, but nothing wrong with that really, presumably unhappy at West Brom being played out of position.

He thought he was heading for a massive pay day, rather than being happy to play for a better team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Your man Balotelli jumping all over the place with some AC Milan supporters, wearing some orange helmet. T'was just on the RTE news :pac:

Has anyone taken a screenshot, by any chance, it was sort of funny :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

I dont feel one bit sorry for odemwingie, if rooney, suarez, bale, walcott, mata, aguero... Pulled a stunt like that their supporters would be pissed...

He had his head turned by the possible money on offer... I hate mercenaries!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    I dont feel one bit sorry for odemwingie, if rooney, suarez, bale, walcott, mata, aguero... Pulled a stunt like that their supporters would be pissed...

You hate people who strive to get better wage in a job that only lasts a limited amount of time?

Odemwingie is 31 going on 32. It was probably his last chance of a relatively big money move. He would have got a nice signing on fee, much better wages and on a longer more secure contract.

He could have handled the whole thing better but I can't begrudge him being desperate to push through the transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Didn't Rooney lift his skirt at Man City amongst others a few years ago to force United's hand.
    Someone mentioned earlier Odimwingie was comparable to Tevez last year. I tend to disagree...even citeh fans realised that Mancinis hot head was at least a big part of the issue with Tevez and also talent wise odimwingie is no Tevez

Blatter wrote: »

You hate people who strive to get better wage in a job that only lasts a limited amount of time?

Odemwingie is 31 going on 32. It was probably his last chance of a relatively big money move. He would have got a nice signing on fee, much better wages and on a longer more secure contract.

He could have handled the whole thing better but I can't begrudge him being desperate to push through the transfer.

He's already done the russians adventure, he did the big payday few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Knock Knock "Who's there?" "Peter Odemwingie."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Blatter wrote: »

It's crazy how many people expect players to stay "loyal" to a club they have no affinity to, and are called all the names under the sun because they want more money or more success. It's their job at the end of the day. It's idiotic how many players get booed by fans who used to support them, just because they moved. Before you have a go at a player for moving for a wage bump, ask yourself if you wouldn't do the exact same thing in their shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Ah well fans are gonna boo ex players, that's just how it is. But when they start to make out the player is a bad person, or has a flawed character because he wants more money is where its nonsense.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Didn't Rooney lift his skirt at Man City amongst others a few years ago to force United's hand.

Glad I didn't see that. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Fans abuse a player/manager that has had 3-4 bad games yet still bang on about no loyalty in the game.

Fans abuse a player/manager that has had 3-4 bad games yet still bang on about no loyalty in the game.

There is no loyalty, with the wages most get paid weekly, what is it to them if they have a few off games, they still get paid a fortune.

People here stating the same would occur in real life, im not entirly sure ur comparing like with like, a member of the public moving jobs for a few 100 more a month, or even a grand or 2 more a month to ensure bills get paid,etc does not compare to these guys moving from earning 40k a week to 80k a week(i think they're Ba's figures)

Odemwingie was looking at going from a mid-table west brom to bottom of the pile qpr, it was always just about the money.

Balotelli on the other, while still on hige money, took a pay cut to sign for the club he supported as a boy - i appreciate his move from inter to city might not have been so 'pure' football

Ps: i also belive fans are loyal, but more so to the club than the individuals that make up the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Beckham, Drogba, Anelka, Cannavaro, Etto. What all of these players did was the same as what Odemwingie tried to do. Wrong side of 30 and trying to make as much as they can while clubs are still willing to pay big wages for them.

It has to last them a long time after and I doubt he will get an offer like the QPR one again. Hes near 32 and not really a big big name. This was his chance and he knew it.

If Sky imply Peter Odemwingie is bad then he must be bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

There is no loyalty, with the wages most get paid weekly, what is it to them if they have a few off games, they still get paid a fortune.

People here stating the same would occur in real life, im not entirly sure ur comparing like with like, a member of the public moving jobs for a few 100 more a month, or even a grand or 2 more a month to ensure bills get paid,etc does not compare to these guys moving from earning 40k a week to 80k a week(i think they're Ba's figures)

Odemwingie was looking at going from a mid-table west brom to bottom of the pile qpr, it was always just about the money.

Balotelli on the other, while still on hige money, took a pay cut to sign for the club he supported as a boy - i appreciate his move from inter to city might not have been so 'pure' football

Ps: i also belive fans are loyal, but more so to the club than the individuals that make up the club.

of course it compares. You make 400 quid a week and some other job offers you 800 what are you gonna do?

You may think 40k is a lot of money a week and it is but footballers become accustomed to earning that amount, so more money nicer car bigger pool etc. While a few hundred quid to you also means nicer car skysports nice restaurant.

Also I don't know why players have to be loyal to clubs when clubs aren't exactly that loyal to players when things go wrong or for what ever reason like a dip in form etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Hasn't Odemwingie been a game changer a few times this season for WBA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Should be made wear a QPR kit in training for the rest of his time at WBA

Called it

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/picture-a-peter-odemwingie-number-12-qpr-shirt-is-hung-up-in-the-west-brom-dressing-room/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Blue peter badge is in the post for ya :p.

Palace interested in Odemwingie

A rather speculative article but nonetheless hardly what he intended, he is on his way one way or another one suspects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Papers in Portugal saying Norwich have already agreed a deal to sign Ricky van Wolfswinkel at the start of the summer! Sporting are in huge financial trouble hence why they would be selling but I would have thought one or two bigger clubs might have been interested in him.

Opr

Liverpool will buy him when Suarez leaves for Bayern! :pac: (and Lewandowski!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

opr wrote: »
    Papers in Portugal saying Norwich have already agreed a deal to sign Ricky van Wolfswinkel at the start of the summer! Sporting are in huge financial trouble hence why they would be selling but I would have thought one or two bigger clubs might have been interested in him.

Opr

He has one of the best and funniest names in football ...right up there with Rod Fanni from Marseille

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Would have thought he could do better then Norwich, pretty clinical finisher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Didnt United admit about a year ago that they were tracking Wolfswinkel. Norwich seemed to be in for him in January bt couldnt get the deal done. Would be a quality signing for them.

markie29 wrote: »
    He has one of the best and funniest names in football ...right up there with Rod Fanni from Marseille

Did you ever try to translate 'Schweinsteiger' into English? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Pig Mounter/****er, or something like that right?

Pig Mounter/****er, or something like that right?

Yep :D

Anyway, I hope, Lewandowski will not join Bayern Munich. He can win the Champions League for Borussia Dortmund alright, but then leave the Bundesliga. He is lethal, when he wants to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Norwich have confirmed the signing of Ricky Van Wolfswinkel, on a 4 year contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Opr
    markie29 wrote: »

Job done, he has signed for Norwich. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Opr
    I keep saying it on the Liverpool thread. Those fúckers in Lisbon are stone broke! Given the amount of times their kids have beaten our kids (who aren't half bad themselves), we should be going in there and low-balling them. Sporting are bankrupt and if they get a decent offer, they have to sell!

No disrespect to Norwich, but I think they will be a stepping stone for Van Wolfswinkel. I reckon he will get into double figures next season and will be off shortly afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,720 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Start at the bottom;

JZ4T84s.jpg

Advertisement